May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Failure in something like a computer game is entirely subjective and based upon the expectations and goals of the person's expressing the opinion. Many people feel it is- several trolls here agree, lol. But to others it's a huge success and several trolls here agree. I'm in the middle- it's not a complete failure because there are thing I like about it and I play it a lot but it's not as successfully implemented as I would like and I feel they are still trying to get back up from a few missteps and dropped opportunities along the way. Ask again in three more years and I'll give you my final answer.
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    I haven't opened TS4 since August 10th and today is October 26th and even then I didn't actually play the game. I just tested out the new dishwashers and was once again underwhelmed. The complete lack of animations accompanying them was so representative of what I find wrong with this game--good intentions but rushed, lazy, half-hearted execution. I was sorely disappointed because I know the Sims Team is capable of so much more.

I haven't been even remotely tempted to play since then. So yeah, for me it is a huge disappointment and an epic fail.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    LeGardePourpre your thinking is exactly why EA/Maxis continues to pull the things they pull and get away with it. Consumers like you fall for there lines, for the in time theory, the with expansions it will get better...well we shouldn't have to wait for it in time, not when toddlers have been base game items for 11 year, and we shouldn't have to wait for in time the bugs will get fixed after a year they should have been fixed already.

The strategy is different than before because unlike the previous games, the game updates add the missing features.

So instead of getting a complete basegame in 2014, we must wait for 2020.
    TS4 getting 10 EPs of 'more of the same' will not alter its inherent limitations: CASt and Open World are not coming back. You can make three new life stages, and it wouldn't change my opinion in the least if they don't handle at least the Open World issue. And if they did? It wouldn't really be Sims 4 anymore. It would be Sims 4.5, or Sims 5, or whatever.

CASt and Open World are the Past... it's sad but they aren't essential features, both caused a lot of problems in The Sims 3, the game was unstable (Error 12, routing issues, out of memory, slow texture loading, laggy sims, inactive NPC standing in a corner of the map, ...) .

The problems were more important than the gains.

The majority of players complains about the problems of The Sims 3, just Maxis heard the community pain.

Maxis heard, but it didn't listen. Players complained about the problems with open world, not open world itself (ok, I'm sure a few did, but then some people prefer AM radio to FM or satellite). Same thing with CASt. Instead of doing what a normal company would do, like fixing the code, Maxis decided 'that's too hard'. Hey, I agree: Coding for CASt and Open World has to be a lot more challenging that animating a bear.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    I don't think Sims 4 is the failure. I think the "vision" of sims failed.

It was so innovative but now it's so linear and goal oriented. I'm disappointed by what EA thinks the Sims should be. Where's all the heart?

It stems from the game makers. They lost all of that momentum. Don't get me wrong, I play Sims 4 because I love the art style and the new CAS. I just can't get close to my sims like I used to.

It goes beyond open world, toddlers, CASt and in more. EA is the root of the problem. Their "vision" isn't a vision really. It's just inconsiderate.

We're all simmers here, and we love Sims. But it doesn't look like EA understands. And yes, it does hurt.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,363 Member
    edited October 2015

The problem with The Sims 3 was that it was a 32 bit programmed game that really needed to be programmed in 64 bit so that it could use more than 2 GB of RAM.

I stop you right here, The Sims 3 used 4 GB of RAM on my computer (the memory limit of a 32-bit program on a 64-bit system) but it wasn't enough.

The Sims 3 need 6 GB of RAM but I don't think the half of the simmers get a computer with 16 GB of RAM.

My computer gets 12 GB of RAM and Windows 7 keeps 4 GB for the system.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Maxis heard, but it didn't listen. Players complained about the problems with open world, not open world itself (ok, I'm sure a few did, but then some people prefer AM radio to FM or satellite). Same thing with CASt. Instead of doing what a normal company would do, like fixing the code, Maxis decided 'that's too hard'. Hey, I agree: Coding for CASt and Open World has to be a lot more challenging that animating a bear.

Seriously how they could solve all the problems in 1 year when they were not able to solve them in 5 years ?

I think you overestimate their skills. If Maxis had magical powers, I think we already know it, don't you think ?

Right now, removing CASt/Open World was the best thing to do in order to remove the problems.
  • Options
    WillowxPillowWillowxPillow Posts: 189 Member
    Not a failure to me. Say what you will about me, but I love this game.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Seriously how they could solve all the problems in 1 year when they were not able to solve them in 5 years ?

I think you overestimate their skills. If Maxis had magical powers, I think we already know it, don't you think ?

Right now, removing CASt/Open World was the best thing to do in order to remove the problems.

You know something - that is like saying remove the steering wheel in cars and people will stop having accidents. That is not a solution. We never move forward when we allow ourselves and the companies that make things for us to stagnate. They had 6 years with Sims 3 to figure out how to make the advanced system work when they made the next series - they did not even try - obviously.

That is not how technology is best served, to avoid it - but to serve technology and advance is to find ways to make it better - not take away the steering wheel and move back 11 years.

LOL , you encourage the death of innocents :p , my policy is "remove the steering wheel in cars... until a better and long term solution is found"

In fact, Removing CASt / Open world is like removing a medicine which have more bad effects on your health than it heals you.
    The Mediator, antidiabetic drug also used for a time as an appetite suppressant, is accused by a study by the National Health Insurance Fund (CNAM) have caused 500 deaths in France in 30 years. It is also accused of having caused 3,500 hospitalizations for heart problems.

In my case, CASt / Open world problems killed my fun.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hagfisher wrote: »
    I don't think Sims 4 is the failure. I think the "vision" of sims failed.

It was so innovative but now it's so linear and goal oriented. I'm disappointed by what EA thinks the Sims should be. Where's all the heart?

It stems from the game makers. They lost all of that momentum. Don't get me wrong, I play Sims 4 because I love the art style and the new CAS. I just can't get close to my sims like I used to.

It goes beyond open world, toddlers, CASt and in more. EA is the root of the problem. Their "vision" isn't a vision really. It's just inconsiderate.

We're all simmers here, and we love Sims. But it doesn't look like EA understands. And yes, it does hurt.

Ok, I can buy what you're saying. The piece of software itself sets out to do what they wanted it to do. In that respect, it's not a failure. The problem arises with Maxis, and how Maxis expects the base to accept this as the new paradigm (I think that's the word) for its Sims series.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    simtastic40simtastic40 Posts: 14 New Member
    I have mixed feelings about it. Even beyond the dreaded T word, I feel it's lacking in some ways but I have logged a LOT of hours playing it and love it for what it is.

I must say though, if it wasn't for challenges created by wonderfully creative people, I probably wouldn't play it a third of the time I do now. I feel like challenges are what is keeping it alive for me.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    I honestly don't even care any more. What happened in the past is the past and can not be changed. I just want them to make a better game from now into the future. A game that adds "major" features that a lot of people want and that is an improvement over the original base.

If they can't do that, then just let it go.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited October 2015
    I don't think it's a failure in general, btw. But I DO think they're lacking some sales (I read somewhere they even mentioned it in their stock holder report).

BTW - Get Together was sold as a pre-order option for 9,99€ (~11,04 $) on Amazon Germany these days. They must be desperate. I actually opened a thread, but they moved it to the Get Together section. You can discuss it there if you're interested. It's nothing big, perhaps it wouldn't have been worth a thread. But somebody noticed on a German Sim Forum, so I wanted to share the information.

• Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Ayumap wrote: »
    I honestly don't even care any more. What happened in the past is the past and can not be changed. I just want them to make a better game from now into the future. A game that adds "major" features that a lot of people want and that is an improvement over the original base.

If they can't do that, then just let it go.
    giphy.gif
    (I love that movie so much. I had to! Sorry.)
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »

You know something - that is like saying remove the steering wheel in cars and people will stop having accidents. That is not a solution. We never move forward when we allow ourselves and the companies that make things for us to stagnate. They had 6 years with Sims 3 to figure out how to make the advanced system work when they made the next series - they did not even try - obviously.

That is not how technology is best served, to avoid it - but to serve technology and advance is to find ways to make it better - not take away the steering wheel and move back 11 years.

LOL , you encourage the death of innocents :p , my policy is "remove the steering wheel in cars... until a better and long term solution is found"

In fact, Removing CASt / Open world is like removing a medicine which have more bad effects on your health than it heals you.
    The Mediator, antidiabetic drug also used for a time as an appetite suppressant, is accused by a study by the National Health Insurance Fund (CNAM) have caused 500 deaths in France in 30 years. It is also accused of having caused 3,500 hospitalizations for heart problems.

To me, CASt/Open World and CAW was almost all my fun in TS3. :(

Me too, I would like both are back but it won't happen in The Sims 4.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,589 Member

To me, CASt/Open World and CAW was almost all my fun in TS3. :(

Me too, I would like both are back but it won't happen in The Sims 4.

Are you only meaning CAW? How do you know it won't?

CASt added so much to CAW which added so much to the Open worlds. Why do I have to be cut out of a new iteration and then have to read how so many LOVE that what I enjoyed was cut? Yet they admit they enjoyed some of what I did...

I miss toddlers but they aren't what is holding me back from enjoying TS4. I got past a lot of things I didn't like in TS3 once CAW came out and now, I get nothing but how some people are so glad it's all gone.

It does really depress me because I am waiting... :disappointed:
  • Options
    edited October 2015

CASt added so much to CAW which added so much to the Open worlds. Why do I have to be cut out of a new iteration and then have to read how so many LOVE that what I enjoyed was cut? Yet they admit they enjoyed some of what I did...

I miss toddlers but they aren't what is holding me back from enjoying TS4. I got past a lot of things I didn't like in TS3 once CAW came out and now, I get nothing but how some people are so glad it's all gone.

For me, CAW is like Toddler, something Maxis will add to The Sims 4 later.

I think you are too impatient, there is still a ton of things you can still do in TS2 or TS3 and come back later when TS4 will bring what you're waiting for.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I think you are too impatient, there is still a ton of things you can still do in TS2 or TS3 and come back later when TS4 will bring what you're waiting for.

Impatient? I don't think I'm too impatient. I've done almost everything in TS2 because I've played that one since it was released.... and if I wanted to Play TS3 I'd be doing it. You seem to think you know better than I for what I need to do in the game...

... it's like you think I'm a child and should go to my room until dinner is ready. What a mean thing to say.

You can cry as much as you want, Xmas won't be tomorrow.... just you have to wait.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,589 Member

Impatient? I don't think I'm too impatient. I've done almost everything in TS2 because I've played that one since it was released.... and if I wanted to Play TS3 I'd be doing it. You seem to think you know better than I for what I need to do in the game...

... it's like you think I'm a child and should go to my room until dinner is ready. What a mean thing to say.

You can cry as much as you want, Xmas won't be tomorrow.... just you have to wait.

Thank you so much for you comment. I appreciate the shade.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    jusMeh wrote: »
    Gullveig wrote: »
    Again, we're at this kind of thread. But in all of my opinion, Sims 4 is still under a development. People need to be patient. They could've just give suggestion, not a harsh judgement. Plus...it's unsettling to have your favorite game insulted...

Anyway, so far, I really like the new system, even though it's still somewhat questionable in some parts. I just believe EA is professional enough to improve the game. They're not that deaf or blind... or so i think.

Well, they didn't fix all of Sims 3's issues before releasing Sims 4.

OP, I don't think it's a failure, not yet at least. Maybe Maxis will keep improving it; I actually think they're trying this time, so good for them. Hopefully they won't pull another TS3.
    They won't. Way too many loading screens.
    CASt and Open World are the Past... it's sad but they aren't essential features, both caused a lot of problems in The Sims 3, the game was unstable (Error 12, routing issues, out of memory, slow texture loading, laggy sims, inactive NPC standing in a corner of the map, ...) .

The problems were more important than the gains.

The majority of players complains about the problems of The Sims 3, just Maxis heard the community pain.
    Buying a suitable computer is a good idea when you play Sims 3. And Sims 4 for that matter. For me it's the other way around by the way. I can cope problems, I can't cope limitations.
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top