Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
Sul Sul Simmers,

We have an important announcement to share regarding the future of The Sims Forums. Over the past 14 years we’ve been lucky enough to share this forum destination with you as a place to discuss The Sims across various titles, share your screenshots, feedback, guides, and most importantly, tell your stories.

These forums are showing their age, and are no longer representative of the community experience we wish to share with you. After careful consideration, we have decided to close The Sims Forums by July 2024 and replace it with a new forums site - to be called EA forums - going live this July.

Rest assured, select content from The Sims Forums will be carried over to this new site and the migration criteria for the content can be found below. This move aims to provide you with a more seamless and engaging environment to connect, share, and collaborate with fellow players, and the EA Community team. I speak for the team when I share that we all look forward to continuing our relationship together on our new site in July.

Please read more below about timing and next steps to take when posting to the forums.

-@EA_Cade

What’s Happening Next

The Sims Forums will remain open to you until July 2024 when EA forums launches.

Please make note of the following dates and instructions from now until we’re live on the new site:
  • Any content posted on The Sims Forums after March 12, 2024 will NOT be migrated over to the new EA forums.
  • We’ll migrate content posted between October 18, 2022 and March 12, 2024 in addition to select content from the nominations thread mentioned below. We will make every effort to ensure that data will port over.
  • If you’ve posted on The Sims Forums and you want to ensure your content is available on the new EA forums site, please follow the steps below.
  • If you have an AHQ account, you will be able to use it on EA forums when the new site goes live.
  • All badges and ranks from The Sims Forums will not be ported over to the new forum site. Participants with an AHQ account will continue to retain AHQ stats. We will however be looking to implement ways to highlight your contributions from The Sims Forums.
  • In July 2024, The Sims Forums will be permanently closed and will no longer be accessible. Anyone trying to access The Sims Forums using the original URL will be redirected to The Sims section on the new EA forums site.
Also, we’d love to invite you to join our recently created Discord community, where we host monthly events, shell challenges, support multiple languages, and host plenty of Sims discussions. Join here: www.discord.gg/TheSims.

The Migration of Threads from The Sims Forums to the New EA forums

To preserve the legacy of The Sims Forums, we will be automatically migrating threads that feature activity and were created after The Sims 4 base game went free to play on October 18, 2022 up until March 12, 2024.
  • If there’s a thread created before Oct. 18, 2022 you’d like to nominate for migration, please nominate it here.
  • If the author of any thread does not have their original post migrated, none of the replies to that post will migrate either.
  • Additionally, any uploaded images, videos, or GIFs will not be migrated over.
  • If you linked something via URL, that URL will be migrated over.
  • Any content that’s important to you can be manually copied and pasted to the AHQ Sims forums
  • If you do not wish to have your content migrated to the new EA forums, or for any questions or concerns related to forum privacy, please see our privacy policy here.

How to Ensure Your Content from The Sims Forums Will Be Migrated Over
  1. Please check the email address(s) associated with your The Sims Forums account. Is this the same email address on your EA account?
    • If no, please proceed to step 2
    • If yes, please jump ahead to step 3
  2. If the email on your The Sims Forums account does not match the email on your EA account OR if you do not have an EA account, please modify the email addresses to ensure they are matching on both accounts OR please create an EA account with a matching email address.
  3. Please ensure you have an account on Answers HQ. You can do so by signing in or registering on Answers HQ with your EA account. Your account on Answers HQ will be carried over to the new EA forums site.
  4. Once this is complete and you’ve ensured your The Sims Forums and EA accounts have matching email addresses AND that you’ve signed into Answers HQ with your EA account, then your The Sims Forums content will be migrated over onto the new forums site whenever it goes live and the content will be associated with your forums account.

Please complete these steps before March 7 to ensure your forum content is migrated.

Update:

There was some confusion about what content will be migrating to the EA forums automatically, so we've put together some examples below:

Will migrate (does not need to be nominated here):
  • Thread created on November 1, 2022 (entire thread & comments)
  • Thread created on September 1, 2018 with a comment from January 6, 2023 (entire thread & comments)
  • Thread created on February 3, 2021 with an edit from October 4, 2023 (entire thread & comments)
Will not migrate unless nominated here (nothing posted after March 12th will migrate to the new EA forum due to data processing timeframes):
  • Thread created on November 5, 2020 with no activity between October 18, 2022 and March 12, 2024 (no comments and/or no edits)
  • Thread created on April 10, 2024
  • Comment added to a thread on April 1, 2024
Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    So there will be a four months period where posts just go to the void? :'(
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    No images will be migrated? That's... bad.

Images here are mostly actually links (unless someone has upload permissions?). I'm guessing they might actually be transferrable. I really hope so. Time to go see how old that Glitches thread is...
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Is it going to use RTF? Because I certainly remember the Rich Text Format Fiasco.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    Time to start copying my content. Just in case. 🙂
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Some previews or something of the new site would definitely be appreciated, I remember the RTF format too and how images didn't look good.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 12
    *Panic at the disco forums*
    Will the new forum support BBCode?

If so I shall not panic and simply save my stories and build thread as text files to repost
    but if its bye bye bbcode I shall sob eternally
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,642 Member

Images here are mostly actually links (unless someone has upload permissions?). I'm guessing they might actually be transferrable. I really hope so. Time to go see how old that Glitches thread is...

Yeah, I'm assuming the worst... but until we have confirmation that those image links will work, I'll worry. It's just my way.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    edited February 12
    So there will be a four months period where posts just go to the void? :'(

The other option available to us was that this forum shutdown would take place months before the new site was up. I did everything I could to keep these forums up as long as possible, as ornery as the site itself may be at times.
    Is it going to use RTF? Because I certainly remember the Rich Text Format Fiasco.

Standby for more info
    Time to start copying my content. Just in case. 🙂

At least linking to Twitter will work on the new forum 😑

Yeah, I'm assuming the worst... but until we have confirmation that those image links will work, I'll worry. It's just my way.

Images that are embedded on Vanilla will be migrated over
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    That's really sad to see forums go down. Really enjoyed my time here.

How about The Sims 2, The Sims 1, The Sims Medieval, The Sims Franchise, and The Sims 3 sections? Where exactly could we find these?

And, what exactly is the link to the new forums?
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »

How about The Sims 2, The Sims 1, The Sims Medieval, The Sims Franchise, and The Sims 3 sections? Where exactly could we find these?

You can find those sections here on AHQ.

The new forum will not be live for some time yet.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    I beg simgods let us have BBcode
    theres simply no way to create stories using multiple pictures full size with that AHQ text editor
    (and I dread the amount of broken quotes and whatnot)
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Oh also: Can we change our profile picture to picture of our own on new forums or am I doomed to being particular picture of Vlad like in Answers HQ?
  • Options
    Was able to get these preview images for you.

@Simmingal @luciusstorm This is what the image uploads will look like on EA forums:
    ss8zxdrhw9vg.png
    r0zx907u0p8i.png

@simgirl1010 and Tweets
    lnysvx4zyawc.png
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,642 Member
    @EA_Cade, thank you! I feel better now. Please forgive me my doubts.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Recapping, clarifying and more info:

It will not. It supports markdown in rich text editor. However, all content posted in BBCode will be properly transitioned and migrated to the new forums site so that it is formatted properly.

Please nominate any threads from those categories that you believe should be migrated over.

Also, any threads with recent activity (October 2022 through now) will be migrated to the new site.

CM Edit: Fixed erroneous messaging on BBcode and added more info.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited February 12

I very much will be affected unfortunately.

The thing is that you can upload images directly to the forums: through the Activity tab. This is how I've done it all the time.

oqbrbqd8tdzv.png

Now I have to find time at some point during my university times to save those images for the new forums from every single comment I've made. Oh boy, I'm glad that at least we get that much time to get that sorted out.

Edit. Welp, I see I've made another one... I think I will leave out the image in this comment however.

Edit 2: Oh, I missed the updates. What exactly is Vanilla? Am I saved from that work?
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    edited February 12
    EA_Cade wrote: »

It will not. It supports markdown in rich text editor. However, all content posted in BBCode will be properly transitioned and migrated to the new forums site so that it is formatted properly.

Big thank you!
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    Yay. No more having to screenshot tweets. 😄

@Caerfinon love your positivity. 💚
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Recapping, clarifying and more info:

Please nominate any threads from those categories that you believe should be migrated over.

Also, any threads with recent activity (October 2022 through now) will be migrated to the new site.

CM Edit: Fixed erroneous messaging on BBcode and added more info.

Will there still be spoiler to collapse comments? Some post heavy picture comment and it creates soo much lag to open the thread
  • Options

Yep! Also, all content posted in BBCode will be properly transitioned and migrated to the new forums site so that it's formatted properly.

Big thank you!

Please see the updated info on this above.
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »

I very much will be affected unfortunately.

The thing is that you can upload images directly to the forums: through the Activity tab. This is how I've done it all the time.

oqbrbqd8tdzv.png

Now I have to find time at some point during my university times to save those images for the new forums from every single comment I've made. Oh boy, I'm glad that at least we get that much time to get that sorted out.

Edit. Welp, I see I've made another one... I think I will leave out the image in this comment however.

Edit 2: Oh, I missed the updates. What exactly is Vanilla? Am I saved from that work?

Sorry,

Vanilla = these forums, they are hosted by a company called Vanilla Forums.

EA forums = the new forums coming in July.

AHQ = current forums located here.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 12
    I see on the new page that you linked to that there is a rich text editor, but also a html option, so basically instead of BBcode we can use HTMLcode? But we can't post anything there until July?

I wonder about spoiler tags, will they work the same?

And just to clarify, If I have a thread started after October 22 it will be automatically migrated, but only posts that are posted before March of this year? Can I still post in this forum between March and July and migrate posts that are posted later than March over manually?
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!