Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,449 Member
    edited October 2015
    My last words in this topic.

Even if sometimes I'm disappointed, The Sims 4 is what I was waiting since The Sims 2.
    The Sims 3 got a lot of precious features but my fun was gone, The Sims 4 brought back it.

Maxis has still a lot of work to do, I believe they are able to do great things if they do it more seriously.
    I know the life of The Sims 4 begins, everything can happen.

If I'm totally wrong that will mean Maxis choose the wrong path and The Sims 5 by EA Mobile won't be better.
  • Options
    Kianijohenson20Kianijohenson20 Posts: 62 Member
    edited October 2015
    Failure? Depends.

Disappointment? Yes!

I think it really depends on play style. I'll note an obvious example. If you predominantly play single sims, Sims 4 will probably be ok. If you like to be mercilessly evil to sims and kill 'em of in a variety of ways, it's also ok (Albeit a bit lack-luster due to less ways of being able to die so far). If you expected it to be like sims 3 in terms of family play, not really. Or, if you're a type that's weirdly in between play-styles (like me) its a plumshoot. I am disappointed with this game, but I wouldn't consider it a failure, per say, just that it needs a little more oomph before I can recommend it to anyone, and Get Together unfortunately doesn't seem to do that for me. Maybe if they add a supernatural or seasons pack, then I'd be interested in sims 4 again.
    Mizz_Swagnificent.png
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2015
    Funny thing is, other compan
    Maxis heard, but it didn't listen. Players complained about the problems with open world, not open world itself (ok, I'm sure a few did, but then some people prefer AM radio to FM or satellite). Same thing with CASt. Instead of doing what a normal company would do, like fixing the code, Maxis decided 'that's too hard'. Hey, I agree: Coding for CASt and Open World has to be a lot more challenging that animating a bear.

Seriously how they could solve all the problems in 1 year when they were not able to solve them in 5 years ?

I think you overestimate their skills. If Maxis had magical powers, I think we already know it, don't you think ?

Right now, removing CASt/Open World was the best thing to do in order to remove the problems.

One year? Where do you get that the complaints have been only going on for a year? That would mean that Sims 4 originally HAD Open World/CASt, and that they scrapped them to make it run smoother. There's nothing to suggest that's the case.

Sims 4 has been in development for four or five years, not one year. Maxis heard complaints about Sims 3 (you even admit this) with it's Open World and CASt. People weren't saying they don't like the idea of Open World or CASt, they were saying they wanted them to work with fewer hiccups. They've been saying that for the past five years, not one year. This is the kind of reaction (Maxis just removing the feature) I'd expect from fly-by-night game makers, not professionals supported by one (if not the) of biggest players in the business.

People were not complaining about Open World/CASt, they were complaining about the way these features affected the performance of the game. People wanted a performance fix, not a feature cut.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    1. Rename the game to "The Sims 0.5," "The Sims 1.5," or "The Sims 2.5"
    2. Say they were disappointed by the game
    3. Say they like the game
    4. Say they LOVE the game
    5. Claim it to be a remastered version of The Sims 1
    6. Say it was a complete failure that no one will remember, and that it will die

1. Having it be a real Sims 2.5 would probably make a lot of players happy.
    2. I am disappointed.
    3. I do like CAS.
    4. Nope....love is way too strong of a word because every time I try to give it another chance I find something else has been broken or needs a new mod.
    5. The devs did say multiple times that the game was going back to it's roots but I do think there was more depth to TS1.
    6. People still talk about The Sims Medieval so who knows?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    dmel15dmel15 Posts: 572 Member
    Maxis heard, but it didn't listen. Players complained about the problems with open world, not open world itself (ok, I'm sure a few did, but then some people prefer AM radio to FM or satellite). Same thing with CASt. Instead of doing what a normal company would do, like fixing the code, Maxis decided 'that's too hard'. Hey, I agree: Coding for CASt and Open World has to be a lot more challenging that animating a bear.

Seriously how they could solve all the problems in 1 year when they were not able to solve them in 5 years ?

I think you overestimate their skills. If Maxis had magical powers, I think we already know it, don't you think ?

Right now, removing CASt/Open World was the best thing to do in order to remove the problems.

One year? Where do you get that the complaints have been only going on for a year? That would mean that Sims 4 originally HAD Open World/CASt, and that they scrapped them to make it run smoother. There's nothing to suggest that's the case.

Sims 4 has been in development for four or five years, not one year. Maxis heard complaints about Sims 3 (you even admit this) with it's Open World and CASt. People weren't saying they don't like the idea of Open World or CASt, they were saying they wanted them to work with fewer hiccups. They've been saying that for the past five years, not one year. This is the kind of reaction (Maxis just removing the feature) I'd expect from fly-by-night game makers, not professionals supported by one (if not the) of biggest players in the business.

People were not complaining about Open World/CASt, they were complaining about the way these features affected the performance of the game. People wanted a performance fix, not a feature cut.

I agree with everything you said here, except Sims 4 was not in development for 5 years. Sims Olympus was in development for like 3 years and when Sims City flopped they were like well crap and then changed Sims Olympus to Sims 4 which is why the game is lackluster and a piece of junk compared to what we could have and should have gotten. They figured simmers would just eat up the next Sims game because it has a 4 at the end and would assume it was better than Sims 3.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Are you only meaning CAW? How do you know it won't?

CASt added so much to CAW which added so much to the Open worlds. Why do I have to be cut out of a new iteration and then have to read how so many LOVE that what I enjoyed was cut? Yet they admit they enjoyed some of what I did...

I miss toddlers but they aren't what is holding me back from enjoying TS4. I got past a lot of things I didn't like in TS3 once CAW came out and now, I get nothing but how some people are so glad it's all gone.

It does really depress me because I am waiting... :disappointed:

For me, CAW is like Toddler, something Maxis will add to The Sims 4 later.

I think you are too impatient, there is still a ton of things you can still do in TS2 or TS3 and come back later when TS4 will bring what you're waiting for.

Impatient? I don't think I'm too impatient. I've done almost everything in TS2 because I've played that one since it was released.... and if I wanted to Play TS3 I'd be doing it. You seem to think you know better than I for what I need to do in the game...

... it's like you think I'm a child and should go to my room until dinner is ready. What a mean thing to say.

You can cry as much as you want, Xmas won't be tomorrow.... just you have to wait.

giphy.gif
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    The very fact Rachel and Lucy called it a time management, soap opera game and not a life Simulation game tells me when even the heads of the studio can't see it as a life Simulation game, then it has no business being called Sims 4 and being passed off to us as Sims 4. Sims 1,2, and 3 were Life Simulation games - there was no question about it. On top of that they were entertaining just as a base game to a very broad audience - just in the base game - each had a WOW factor - but they each at least included something for all types of players in the game - whats more not one of THEM were about what was missing in the base game.

Shoot they thought so little of the Life Simulation side of the game in Sims 4, they felt the focus on other things were more important then the life stages - they said so. There were no ghost stage, no individuality spent on the various life stage (but ya and child) - never mind removing the toddlers we had in the game for the last 10 years - they did not even have ghosts - still do not have cemeteries or anyway to manage the dead. No memories system - no we get a scrape book for memories - and even the Devs seemed surprised we were upset over no family tree - as one even admitted they did not even think of it. HELLO!!!!! This is a life Simulation Games last I looks you type in Simulation games and we get the Sims series games - so yes - as a part of the Sims series, as a life simulation game - major PHAIL!!!! They should have Headlined it and kept it at what it seems best at - at being what the department heads called it - a Time Management Soap Opera - and like all the side games for pc they all ran good on low end pcs. In this day and age - most companies move their top level games to better graphics, newer technology - I don't see EA making the new Star Trek or Battlefield or any of their newest top games on this same low level of technology. You want to play those games - you best invest in your computer if you plan to fully enjoy them. They are in our same price range - so why do we not get the same quality.

Other EA series - they don't go and completely wipe out the whole format and turn the games from one kind of game and make it something unlike it was previously - no they take that format and make it into a higher technical savvy version fitting of the next step up in that series. Most games in series are done like that. I have played many series and I know it. From the introduction of Sims 4 the first thing many of us said - is this is not a Sims series game.

So as a life simulation, part of the Sims series - it is a big failure. As a side game - The Sims Soap Opera - must be pretty good and appeals to people who like that kind of thing - I just know Sims series does not ever have ghosts culled, incest with family members and even children, the added after the fact family trees wiped out due to culling - maybe a soap opera does - I don't know I don't watch them - so for that probably isn't a fail - but it will never be the 4th rendition of our beloved Sims series. That much I can assure you.

another awesome post from you:)) so agree!!!
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    SimCity was a failure because it was not a city management game. That was the most valid and damning complaint about SimCity, that it wasn't focused on city management and was a RPG goal-oriented social game with small worlds and no space to build. SOUND FAMILIAR? What's even more sad is that Maxis said they had no plans to ever build another city management game because they had new ideas for SimCity and that it should "grow and evolve". Again, this is the same line and same way Sims 4 is being handled. Sims 4 is not a sandbox life simulator, and instead of admitting they did wrong, we have Rachel Franklin going out there to tell us that cutting toddlers was a good decision and that telemetry tells her that she is right and we are wrong.

There are so many similarities with Sims 4 and SimCity that people need to wake up and more importantly, wake up Maxis to tell them to stop destroying their franchises.

awesome coming your way!!! so agree:))
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    The Sims 4 is a disappointment, but saying The Sims 1 was better is a huge exaggeration. The Sims 2 and 4 are pretty much tied. In terms of content, Sims 3, even though it's not my favorite. Side note: In my opinion, The Sims always felt like soap operas AND life simulations, and I like the direction they are going in The Sims 4.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    If Sims 4 is a soap opera game, it's no wonder I don't like it. I hate soap operas.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiBanksNikolaiBanks Posts: 149 Member
    So far Sims 4 has been alright, not amazingly great, but alright and decent enough to play, I like the expansion packs, but I am kinda annoyed with the stuff packs, since they are "Digitally" for sale, no form of physical versions at all, which is really annoying, at some point I will have to borrow a family member's credit card, to be able to get the stuff packs, but I hope there will be an easier way to get the packs.

Leading to the game itself, after a few months of playing, I started to think the game was a failure, but after playing the first expansion, I returned to the game, I still prefer S3 over S4, but S4 is an interesting game to play, only annoying thing about it, is the "Social Events" which they think are parties, parties don't need things or challenges being accomplished to be a success, that is not how Sims 3's parties went, in S3, you threw a party, selected the theme and the dress code, S4, just stupid social events that you pay in game money for, just to throw a party, dinner party, birthday or wedding, but I hope that is fixed in Get Together or whatever the second expansion is called.
    'Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you,
    Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
    Quote from Isaiah 41:10
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited October 2015
    So far Sims 4 has been alright, not amazingly great, but alright and decent enough to play, I like the expansion packs, but I am kinda annoyed with the stuff packs, since they are "Digitally" for sale, no form of physical versions at all, which is really annoying, at some point I will have to borrow a family member's credit card, to be able to get the stuff packs, but I hope there will be an easier way to get the packs.

Leading to the game itself, after a few months of playing, I started to think the game was a failure, but after playing the first expansion, I returned to the game, I still prefer S3 over S4, but S4 is an interesting game to play, only annoying thing about it, is the "Social Events" which they think are parties, parties don't need things or challenges being accomplished to be a success, that is not how Sims 3's parties went, in S3, you threw a party, selected the theme and the dress code, S4, just stupid social events that you pay in game money for, just to throw a party, dinner party, birthday or wedding, but I hope that is fixed in Get Together or whatever the second expansion is called.

If you buy a $20 EA Wallet Card, or a $25 Sims 4 Game Card at places like Walmart, Target, Gamestop, etc. You can redeem the codes on origin and have money added into your account, which you can use to buy anything on origin. And certain SIms 4 packs have been put in bundles to put in stores. And you can also turn off the challenges and accomplishments when throwing a party.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    To be honest can the game really be a failure when it's beating allot of games in Sales in both physical copies and digital copies whilst still running with monthly content, idk, it just seems to me that if a game failed, it wouldn't be such a big seller in many areas and sites or have new content go into it each month both free and paid for, but that's just how I see it.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    There are many reasons why those sales numbers are not to be trusted. I'm very interested in their 2015 numbers. If they still claim that Sims 4 outsold Grand Theft Auto 5, Witcher 3, or Fallout 4 (even though it's not released, pre-orders alone should wipe Sim 4) then we will know the truth.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited October 2015

The problem with The Sims 3 was that it was a 32 bit programmed game that really needed to be programmed in 64 bit so that it could use more than 2 GB of RAM.

I stop you right here, The Sims 3 used 4 GB of RAM on my computer (the memory limit of a 32-bit program on a 64-bit system) but it wasn't enough.

The Sims 3 need 6 GB of RAM but I don't think the half of the simmers get a computer with 16 GB of RAM.

My computer gets 12 GB of RAM and Windows 7 keeps 4 GB for the system.

I said it needed to use more than 2 GB of RAM because on the 32 bit systems it was designed for, it would have only been using 2 GB. If it needed 6 GB RAM, then it needed 6 GB. The fact is none of us really know.

You say that you don't think half of simmers get a computer with 16 GB of RAM. Perhaps you are correct. However, if you do not have a gaming computer, you have no business trying to play "proper" intensive PC games.

If Maxis are going to design The Sims 5 to run on toasters like they did with 4, expect no progress, expect no great A.I.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited October 2015

The only people overestimating Maxis' skills were EA. No one in their right mind would believe that they could make a decent AAA game in a year. Yet that is what Maxis basically had to try to do turning Olympus into The Sims 4. And what we got was a bare bones, bug infested limited game. It was a forgone conclusion.

Had Maxis started work on the true successor to The Sims 3 when they started on Olympus, designed for decent computers, they would have had time to address the issues 3 had and perfect the open world.

Post edited by blueturtleotter on
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    I just wish they had spent more time when it was in development. I think it could have been way better than it is if they had added toddlers and we were able to coordinate their clothes and decor.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    There are many reasons why those sales numbers are not to be trusted. I'm very interested in their 2015 numbers. If they still claim that Sims 4 outsold Grand Theft Auto 5, Witcher 3, or Fallout 4 (even though it's not released, pre-orders alone should wipe Sim 4) then we will know the truth.

When did they make those claims?
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2015
    dmel15 wrote: »

I agree with everything you said here, except Sims 4 was not in development for 5 years. Sims Olympus was in development for like 3 years and when Sims City flopped they were like well crap and then changed Sims Olympus to Sims 4 which is why the game is lackluster and a piece of junk compared to what we could have and should have gotten. They figured simmers would just eat up the next Sims game because it has a 4 at the end and would assume it was better than Sims 3.

True. I should have said Maxis had five years to get out a sequel. They wasted three or so on a game concept that had almost nothing to do with the Sims, and then one and half on trying to cobble it into some sort of revenue stream. Anyway, we agree: had Sims 4 been called Peeps 1, no one would have given it a second glance.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    EA does not release sales data. Any speculation whatsoever on digital sales is just that -- speculation. The NPD group's chart is wrong. There's no data for 2015 either. There also could be plenty of reasons content is being released for it -- especially free content -- which would have more to do with trying to lure new/retain old customers rather than stellar sales.

If it were beating prior sims games at this point, that would be mentioned in the share holder reports, not having the most positive news lumped in with Freeplay's news.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    ENolan wrote: »

That was really unwarranted. @Rflong7's difference of opinion and legitimate concerns were not deserving of degradation.
    Yep I agree. Regardless how someone feels about the game, going that low to belittle others is uncalled for. Thank you ENolan.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    ENolan wrote: »

That was really unwarranted. @Rflong7's difference of opinion and legitimate concerns were not deserving of degradation.
    Yep I agree. Regardless how someone feels about the game, going that low to belittle others is uncalled for. Thank you ENolan.

See that's one of the problems here. Several people had already reprimanded the poster for his comment. There was no need to bring it up again.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Simulator4 wrote: »

See that's one of the problems here. Several people had already reprimanded the poster for his comment. There was no need to bring it up again.
    Not sure what you are getting at, but it was only said a page back and I have yet to see an apology. I have read some ill things said to both people that love and are disappointed by the Sims 4. It is never right. But I do think every time something like that or get off forums or stop playing the Sims 4 is said, it is kind of a set up for game failure. The Sims forums aren't the only company I've seen this guilt tripping blaming the customers done with. Scaring away Simmers will never work, but hurt the game which is something I guess not everyone understands.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Simulator4 wrote: »

Not sure what you are getting at, but it was only said a page back and I have yet to see an apology. I have read some ill things said to both people that love and are disappointed by the Sims 4. It is never right. But I do think every time something like that or get off forums or stop playing the Sims 4 is said, it is kind of a set up for game failure. The Sims forums aren't the only company I've seen this guilt tripping blaming the customers done with. Scaring away Simmers will never work, but hurt the game which is something I guess not everyone understands.

Then maybe you could have given the poster a little more time. Or maybe you could have sent the poster a pm suggesting he apologize. For all we know maybe he did.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top