Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    edited October 2015
    Scobre wrote: »
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    Simulator4 wrote: »

See that's one of the problems here. Several people had already reprimanded the poster for his comment. There was no need to bring it up again.
    Not sure what you are getting at, but it was only said a page back and I have yet to see an apology. I have read some ill things said to both people that love and are disappointed by the Sims 4. It is never right. But I do think every time something like that or get off forums or stop playing the Sims 4 is said, it is kind of a set up for game failure. The Sims forums aren't the only company I've seen this guilt tripping blaming the customers done with. Scaring away Simmers will never work, but hurt the game which is something I guess not everyone understands.

Then maybe you could have given the poster a little more time. Or maybe you could have sent the poster a pm suggesting he apologize. For all we know maybe he did.
    So reprimanding me for agreeing and thanking with another Simmer, ok? Total do as I say not as I do type of thing, got it. ;) Maybe you should not attack people that agree it was rude. Not sure what you are trying to do other than attempt to name and shame me and accepting that trolling is an ok action to do. I quoted ENolan's post anyways.

This is exactly why disagree and agree buttons need to return.

Why is everything an attack? Why can't it just be a discussion?

ETA: And I did not attack people who thought it was rude nor do I accept that trolling is okay. That was whole point of my comment. Two people had already said that it was rude and I thought your comment was unnecessary. If anything your comment was trolling and fanning the flames. But let me stop here before I'm accused of sabotaging the thread.
    Post edited by Simulator4 on
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Well, y'all almost made me forget what I wanted to say but I think I got it back together now.

I have an appreciation on the one hand that Maxis developed Sims 4 to be run on older computers simply because in a time of economic depression/recession a lot of people can't afford to upgrade toys, and let's look at this thing realistically in that a whole lot of people prefer laptop computers and the price of an actual gaming laptop is way up there. I know there are a number of people who still run 32-bit computers but in a lot of cases, unless a person is stuck living on disability or unemployment, when a game comes out we really want to play we usually somehow find the means to upgrade old equipment. For example, I wanted a 3DSXL hand-held but they cost more money than I could afford to pay. Instead I bought a refurbished unit and sold my old DSXL along with some games we no longer wanted on that really big auction site and only came short for the 3DSXL by about $20. I don't expect everyone has old stuff lying around they can profit from but usually when the desire is strong enough people find a way to make it happen.

When Sims 3 was originally released there weren't a lot of people aside from serious gamers who yet had 64-bit systems so I completely understand why it was held back to 32-bit. I think by the end it was much too ambitious of a project for 32-bit, although I know there are a number of things that should've been programmed differently that weren't. For example, CASt didn't have nearly as many problems BEFORE the whole store thing was built into the game and I have it on pretty good authority that a lot of other performance problems were introduced with that update. This is kind of like cutting off one's nose to spite their face, as in I don't see a lot of point in creating an update that will ultimately turn off a lot of players because it makes such a hit on performance.

It's beyond my understanding why any major game company would create a game to run on 32-bit hardware at this time, and especially a game that should grow over the next several years. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    Well, y'all almost made me forget what I wanted to say but I think I got it back together now.

I have an appreciation on the one hand that Maxis developed Sims 4 to be run on older computers simply because in a time of economic depression/recession a lot of people can't afford to upgrade toys, and let's look at this thing realistically in that a whole lot of people prefer laptop computers and the price of an actual gaming laptop is way up there. I know there are a number of people who still run 32-bit computers but in a lot of cases, unless a person is stuck living on disability or unemployment, when a game comes out we really want to play we usually somehow find the means to upgrade old equipment. For example, I wanted a 3DSXL hand-held but they cost more money than I could afford to pay. Instead I bought a refurbished unit and sold my old DSXL along with some games we no longer wanted on that really big auction site and only came short for the 3DSXL by about $20. I don't expect everyone has old stuff lying around they can profit from but usually when the desire is strong enough people find a way to make it happen.

When Sims 3 was originally released there weren't a lot of people aside from serious gamers who yet had 64-bit systems so I completely understand why it was held back to 32-bit. I think by the end it was much too ambitious of a project for 32-bit, although I know there are a number of things that should've been programmed differently that weren't. For example, CASt didn't have nearly as many problems BEFORE the whole store thing was built into the game and I have it on pretty good authority that a lot of other performance problems were introduced with that update. This is kind of like cutting off one's nose to spite their face, as in I don't see a lot of point in creating an update that will ultimately turn off a lot of players because it makes such a hit on performance.

It's beyond my understanding why any major game company would create a game to run on 32-bit hardware at this time, and especially a game that should grow over the next several years. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
    But is that really so? My computer couldn't run it, and that was a computer that ran Sims 3 + all EP's + all SP's + a lot of Store content just fine, on highest settings. Still, as soon as I entered CAS in Sims 4 the whole thing would go black.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I just hope that if the Sims 5 is made, they'll make two versions of the game like they did for the Sims 2. Bring back the Life Stories series for laptops/old computers and give those with decent computers a fleshed out Sims game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I just hope that if the Sims 5 is made, they'll make two versions of the game like they did for the Sims 2. Bring back the Life Stories series for laptops/old computers and give those with decent computers a fleshed out Sims game.
    Wow, that is a great point I've never noticed until now reading your post... The sims 4 is just like The sims 2 life stories.. Mind Blownnn...not in a good way either :neutral:

giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    Wow, that is a great point I've never noticed until now reading your post... The sims 4 is just like The sims 2 life stories.. Mind Blownnn...not in a good way either :neutral:
    Yeah it's similar. The questing reminds me of it a lot, plus both are made for laptop/lower end machines. I really want to see a sequel to Life Stories, Castaway Stories, and Pet Stories too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    NikolaiBanksNikolaiBanks Posts: 149 Member
    > @Gabe_oz said:
    > NikolaiBanks wrote: »
    >
    > So far Sims 4 has been alright, not amazingly great, but alright and decent enough to play, I like the expansion packs, but I am kinda annoyed with the stuff packs, since they are "Digitally" for sale, no form of physical versions at all, which is really annoying, at some point I will have to borrow a family member's credit card, to be able to get the stuff packs, but I hope there will be an easier way to get the packs.
    >
    > Leading to the game itself, after a few months of playing, I started to think the game was a failure, but after playing the first expansion, I returned to the game, I still prefer S3 over S4, but S4 is an interesting game to play, only annoying thing about it, is the "Social Events" which they think are parties, parties don't need things or challenges being accomplished to be a success, that is not how Sims 3's parties went, in S3, you threw a party, selected the theme and the dress code, S4, just stupid social events that you pay in game money for, just to throw a party, dinner party, birthday or wedding, but I hope that is fixed in Get Together or whatever the second expansion is called.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If you buy a $20 EA Wallet Card, or a $25 Sims 4 Game Card at places like Walmart, Target, Gamestop, etc. You can redeem the codes on origin and have money added into your account, which you can use to buy anything on origin. And certain SIms 4 packs have been put in bundles to put in stores. And you can also turn off the challenges and accomplishments when throwing a party.

Hmm as for the EA Wallet Card, I have to see if there are any online or shopping stores that'll have that where I live, my life is kinda beyond the US. Something I might try, is using a credit card, seems digital versions of the packs are pratically cheaper than what they would be, if they had a physical version.
    'Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you,
    Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
    Quote from Isaiah 41:10
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is a disappointment, but saying The Sims 1 was better is a huge exaggeration. The Sims 2 and 4 are pretty much tied. In terms of content, Sims 3, even though it's not my favorite. Side note: In my opinion, The Sims always felt like soap operas AND life simulations, and I like the direction they are going in The Sims 4.

On this we agree: it's much better looking than Sims 1, and I'm sure the gameplay is likewise better. Then again, Sims 1 IS about a decade and a half old.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    The Sims 4 is a disappointment, but saying The Sims 1 was better is a huge exaggeration. The Sims 2 and 4 are pretty much tied. In terms of content, Sims 3, even though it's not my favorite. Side note: In my opinion, The Sims always felt like soap operas AND life simulations, and I like the direction they are going in The Sims 4.

On this we agree: it's much better looking than Sims 1, and I'm sure the gameplay is likewise better. Then again, Sims 1 IS about a decade and a half old.

Sims 1 is better in worlds, though.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    The only thing I like about The Sims 4 is the art style. The rest, the 'emotion' system, the depth in gameplay are all complete failures if you ask me.
  • Options
    I actually do like the Sims 1 better. Sure the graphics aren't "modern" but the gameplay of it is still complex and enjoyable to play. I loved the mature humor in it and the fun NPCs. The music is still so much fun to listen to.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

They didn't deliberately create this to run on 32-bit computers, that was just an excuse and yet another one of their 'the fans are to blame' attempts (surprising how many have fallen for it).

The Sims 4 is 32-bit and as cut down as it is because it was designed to be an online game, and they needed to minimise the amount of bandwidth being used when transferring stuff between computers, so what we have instead is a game where every life stage except young adult was hastily added to the game, after they discovered that online just doesn't work, terrain tools are absent as is loads of other stuff... All of which make much more sense to remove if you consider that this was an online game as opposed to a game designed to run on old computer.

The Sims 2 had far more in its base game, and it was made for older computers as well, so that excuse is wearing more than a little thin.

raw
  • Options
    Not sure about the

Sims 1 is better in worlds, though.

I'll be honest, I don't remember much about Sims 1(it's been a loonnggg time since I played it), so I'll take your word for it on the game play.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited October 2015
    Evil_One wrote: »
    They didn't deliberately create this to run on 32-bit computers, that was just an excuse and yet another one of their 'the fans are to blame' attempts (surprising how many have fallen for it).

The Sims 4 is 32-bit and as cut down as it is because it was designed to be an online game, and they needed to minimise the amount of bandwidth being used when transferring stuff between computers, so what we have instead is a game where every life stage except young adult was hastily added to the game, after they discovered that online just doesn't work, terrain tools are absent as is loads of other stuff... All of which make much more sense to remove if you consider that this was an online game as opposed to a game designed to run on old computer.

The Sims 2 had far more in its base game, and it was made for older computers as well, so that excuse is wearing more than a little thin.
    I'm not saying they don't make excuses--shoot, I think they've made more excuses than my kids did when they were six, but it also doesn't change the fact that something has to intentionally be programmed to use 64-bit hardware, as in additional programming must be added for 64-bit.

Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

I'm not saying they don't make excuses--shoot, I think they've made more excuses than my kids did when they were six, but it also doesn't change the fact that something has to intentionally be programmed to use 64-bit hardware, as in additional programming must be added for 64-bit.

True, but as I said, the reasons aren't because of the fans using old computers.
    raw
  • Options
    Agreed. They made it 32 bit because they had no intention of designing a game that would take advantage of 64 bit, not because they cared about people with older computers. That it runs on 'older' computers is incidental.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    MiamineMiamine Posts: 731 Member
    The game is a Sim game and all sims games are good, even SimCity. That's because they deal in the area of simulation without dwarves, giants, magic or fighting and killing. They are a type of game that's a rare breed.

I loved Sims 1, loved Sims 2 even better... Sims 2 is my game of choice and the modders keep it current. I stepped out at the beginning of Sims 3, too much moodlet thingy for me and didn't like the sims very much. Sims 4 for me is the worst and has moved too far from simulation to farmville app that I don't think it's interesting.

But that's me, it's not a flop, some people like it, but I want a proper simulation so spent my money on City Skylines and Prison Architect instead. I don't like moodlets, linear play. magic items to change moods or games with little challenge.

But it's ok I guess for people who like collecting, easy building, focused play or like to create their own stories and are not interested in logical AI systems. People like games for different reasons, I like Sims 1 & 2 and Sims 3 and 4 are good but not what I'm looking for.
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    edited October 2015
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

But is that really so? My computer couldn't run it, and that was a computer that ran Sims 3 + all EP's + all SP's + a lot of Store content just fine, on highest settings. Still, as soon as I entered CAS in Sims 4 the whole thing would go black.

It would be dependant on the PC, I've seen lots of people who couldn't play The Sims 3 be able to paly The Sims 4 with no trouble.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    royale_painroyale_pain Posts: 38 Member
    I really like it so far, I'll love it whenever we get Pets! If we still have horses. ;) I do really miss the open world concept though, buuuut I can stick my house next to a park and not have to load anything in order to get there, so that's okay I guess. Toddlers and the open world are what I really miss the most, along with a lot of other things, but those are the biggest issues I have with TS4 as of now.
  • Options
    KellyWhovianKellyWhovian Posts: 177 Member
    I really liked the game in the first 4 months and was always playing it. The excitement has definitely died off in the past year though. I don't find it entertaining or fun anymore. I wish EA would have spent a couple months or another year and just incorporated some missing things like life stages, open world, create a style, and many more. It would've given the longevity that the game doesn't have as of now.
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.simsnetwork.com%2Fsites%2Fsimsnetwork.com%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2F2011%2F20111008-pets-anim-3.gif&f=1
    Origin ID: kellywhovian

• Options
    GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2015
    I feel like no matter what EA adds into the Sims 4, people will always have a problem with it lmao so I love it
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    if i did give my comment here already.. i am happy to do it again: YES its a failure
  • Options
    budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    edited October 2015
    I'm totally not a fan of sims 4, but the launch of sims 4 did make me apreciate sims 3 more, enough to switch to sims 3 from sims 2.

edit: spelling
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top