Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Congrats to everyone! ^^

@Carewren123 will you tell us how close the places were? Or at least how far 3rd place was from 4th place? ^^
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @ValoisFulcanelli Welcome! I've got your story added to the list on the front page. You are our first entry for February!

Also welcome to everyone one who joined the thread while I've been busy and didn't have time to welcome you at the time. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    TwiggyTwiggy Posts: 995 Member
    Big congratulations to all the winners! I find it is an absolute joy to partake in this challenge and will definitely join again as soon as an idea hits me in the face (or lurks around in the minutes just before my eyes say goodbye to another day). <3
  • Options
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone! ^^

@Carewren123 will you tell us how close the places were? Or at least how far 3rd place was from 4th place? ^^

1st and 2nd places were pretty well defined, but beyond that the votes were way more evenly divided.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Congrats to @CitizenErased14 , @Rinellie , and @ra3rei on the places! Kudos to everyone else that entered, everyone's entry was awesome! :)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    Congrats to those who placed, the newcomers, and the rest of us who don't fit into either of those categories!

Yay, the rest of us! <3
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    supernatural103supernatural103 Posts: 433 Member
    Congrats everyone! You all did such an amazing job! Can't wait to read everyone's submissions for this month.
    yaHATa3.png
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    Congratulations everyone!
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,813 Member
    Congrats to @ra3rei @CitizenErased14 @Rinellie!! Very well deserved!

We all did a magnificent job! I'm just happy I got it in within the time frame. Looking for the positive accomplishments. lol
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited February 2016
    @Carewren123 I have a rule-related question :) Is it permitted to Edit more than one screenshot together into a "collage" of sorts? And then, if you do that, does that collage count as just one picture, or more than one?

Like, if you had four small screenshots together into one image, does that technically count as one picture, or four? I'm trying to plan out my screenshots and wanted to be sure! :)

EDIT: I think @ra3rei did this in her November story, and it was considered okay? But I still want to be sure! :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    edited February 2016
    Oh yeah - I did three "memory pictures" as a single picture to show time passing. They were all from the parent story or at least taken back then...I hope that was okay - they were cut down a lot so they just showed faces not the full picture.

Edit: I guess I'm more in the beg forgiveness category rather than ask permission. Oops.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Oh yeah - I did three "memory pictures" as a single picture to show time passing. They were all from the parent story or at least taken back then...I hope that was okay - they were cut down a lot so they just showed faces not the full picture.

Edit: I guess I'm more in the beg forgiveness category rather than ask permission. Oops.

I've done the "Many pictures cut into one" thing twice now in Twisted Addiction and Blight. I'm pretty sure I maxed out the photo count on both entries, so considering I placed with Twisted Addiction I don't think it'll be a problem.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member

:lol: That wasn't meant to throw you under the bus, it was just using you as an example! :blush: And yes, the pictures I wanted to do "collage style" are from D2D, not original screenshots

I've done the "Many pictures cut into one" thing twice now in Twisted Addiction and Blight. I'm pretty sure I maxed out the photo count on both entries, so considering I placed with Twisted Addiction I don't think it'll be a problem.

You have made me feel better now :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    RinellieRinellie Posts: 438 Member
    Oh, my goodness! Thank you all so much! I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant, but I've been a little down on my writing lately, so this is a very big confidence boost for me. Thank you all so much for reading my story :)

Congratulations to @CitizenErased14 and @ra3rei !! Very well-deserved! And of course, great job to everyone else who participated. It was really a hard vote, and all the stories showed an awesome amount of talent. I'm excited to read the entries for February :)

Thanks for voting, everyone! And to @Carewren123 for hosting this great thread!
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Congrats to the winners and, as always, all the participants for providing me with so much lovely reading material!

I can say right now, I have a billion and one things I have to get done before I leave on vacay this coming Thursday, and I won't be back until the 15th, so expect my superlatives for January to be fashionably late. I'll get around to them at some point, but I'm fairly certain that some point won't be until after I've returned!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    Oh, I meant to ask, what exactly are the superlatives?
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    @Rinellie : You know in High School, those "Most Likely to..." or "Best at" kind of awards? They are like that, and anyone can give them and post them to this thread. It became a thing after the October entries, though has kinda steadily declined in participation, sadly. I've actually compiled a list of past Superlatives if @Carewren123 ever wants to archive the links (or just to make it easier for all the newcomers to this thread to find them). Note that reading superlatives to past entries could have spoilerish commentary to past story entries.

October Entry Superlatives

Given by @Carewren123

Given by @CathyTea

Given by @mastressalita

Given by @sabreene

Given by @Spottydog714

Given by @Julyvee94

Given by @BBQPenguinWings

November Entry Superlatives

Given by @mastressalita

Given by @ra3rei

Given by @Spottydog714

December Entry Superlatives

Given by @CitizenErased14

Given by @Munterbacon

Given by @Spottydog714

Given by @mastressalita
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    Congrats to everyone!! @CitizenErased14 @ra3rei @Rinellie You all did an amazing job!!! And everyone, wonderful stories this month!! And I'll try to get to my superlatives this time -- January was a bad month, lol!
  • Options
    @Rinellie : You know in High School, those "Most Likely to..." or "Best at" kind of awards? They are like that, and anyone can give them and post them to this thread. It became a thing after the October entries, though has kinda steadily declined in participation, sadly. I've actually compiled a list of past Superlatives if @Carewren123 ever wants to archive the links (or just to make it easier for all the newcomers to this thread to find them). Note that reading superlatives to past entries could have spoilerish commentary to past story entries.

Ohhh, okay. That sounds really fun. I'll try to get started on some later tonight :) Thanks for going through all the trouble of linking me those examples! It was really helpful.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    All right, here's my list of superlatives. It was fun re-visiting the stories :)

Betrayal by @CitizenErased14
    Most Deserving of a Re-read
    Reading this story for the second time gives a completely different experience from reading it the first time. The first time, it's all suspense and mystery, and then the second time, it's so deliciously campy. It's not even just like, "I know the joke hehe." Every line is so funny the second time because of how over dramatic it is. Makes for a really worthwhile read!

Blight by @Munterbacon
    Most Gratifying
    Blight's journey drew me in so quickly. Her connection to Grim and the seemingly heartless things she was doing made her a fascinating lead character; I was so curious about how it would end. And then when it did end, it was so perfect and so gratifying. I can't say that I relate to Blight or that I would ever want to walk in her shoes heh, but I still definitely hoped for a dark ending, and Munterbacon delivered.

All That Buildup by @IchigoUsagi
    Most Unsettling (But in a Good Way)
    Everything from the screenshots to the language to the point of view in this story make for a very haunting read. When we find out that the narrator has lost her mind, the hopelessness she feels is very real. Her actions before the supposed end of the world feel realistic too. Just talking about the past and avoiding thinking about the present. Eerie in the best way.

Aiden's Freedom by @supernatural103
    Most Innovative Countdown
    The way the countdown is set up in this story is so perfect for its content. We get an understanding of Aiden's painful history through seeing literal and quantifiable accounts of it. There's something to be said about knowing just how many times a particular kind of harsh event has happened; it really makes Aiden into a very sympathetic character.

The Tower by @Pegasus143
    Most Immersive
    I really like how this story introduces its readers to one of the author's real life hobbies. It makes it feel very meaningful and personal. Also, the way the dream sequence was set up was so transportive (is that a word? lol). By that, I mean that it takes the reader to a completely different place, outside of The Sims. It really immerses the reader into its world.

Ten Reasons to Leave by @CathyTea
    Most Human
    Although I can't say I've ever considered divorce (because I've never been married :tongue: ), I can say that Miranda still feels very relatable. Her issue is a very human issue that I find totally believable. It really made me connect with her character and hope that she could find a solution to her problems with her husband.

The Final Final Countdown by @mastressalita
    Most Suspenseful
    It almost feels funny describing an eBay countdown as suspenseful, but I have to be honest and say that I really did feel worried that Dale wouldn't win the bid. And then, when he didn't, I completely felt his disappointment. Really, when you're following a countdown, you're hoping for something at the end, right? eBay countdown, you want your prize. Microwave countdown, you want your food. New Year's countdown, you want a feeling of accomplishment from the past year. This story made me really hope as I followed the countdown.

Countdown to Graduation by @SilverDaybreak
    Most Nostalgic
    This story made me nostalgic for not only The Sims 2 but also for just the feeling of excitement about graduating. Andrew's journey to graduation feels very hopeful, which is just what a college student would feel as they progress through their college career. It reminds me of the weeks before and then the day of my graduation ceremony, making for a very satisfying and comforting read.

What Happens at Zero? by @ra3rei
    Most Adorable Protagonist
    Everything this kid goes through is so reminiscent of young childhood. His wanting to stay up late to play, his being afraid of monsters in the closet, his surrender to the Mom Countdown--they're all exactly the kind of behaviors I would expect from a child and that I remember having myself. He's so darn cute; it makes it impossible not to root for him.

My Mary Jane by @lovesstorms
    Most Heartbreaking but Simultaneously Heartwarming
    It's so sad to see Henry dealing with the sorrow of losing his true love. You can really feel the weight of that loss from how he thinks and acts throughout the story. But then, once he's reunited with Mary Jane in the end, you forget about that sadness and feel gratified to see him with his Mary Jane again. A very powerful love story. (Also, I still can't get over that screenshot of him collapsed near Mary Jane's gravestone. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!)

And the winner is... by @Twiggy
    Most Thought-Provoking
    Reading this story really makes you stop to think about any assumptions you've made about people and circumstances around you. You can never know exactly what another person is going through, just what they choose to tell you. The final part of this story is truly sad, and it makes you want to go check on all of your friends and family.

"First Love Countdown" by @RebornMonster
    Best Realization of the Medium
    I don't know if that makes sense. What I mean is that the format of SimLit is really embraced in this story. There are so many small details in the screenshots that add so many extra layers to this story that would be hard to portray outside of SimLit. RebornMonster really embraced both the limitations and the possibilities of the medium and created a beautiful product.

Time to Perform by @spottydog714
    Most Likely to Make me Bite my Nails (And I Don't Usually Bite my Nails) and/or Most Relatable
    Stagefright is a nasty beast and something I struggle with greatly. (Ugh, traumatic flashbacks of speech class.) Watching Lizzie try to prepare herself for her performance was so relatable for me and made me want to fidget in some kinda way just to ease my nerves. Captured the feeling of pre-performance nervousness so well.

The Warning by @Julyvee94
    Most Creative Backstory
    The story of the Timekeeper is so inventive and such a great way to represent the ticking of the biological clock. And the fact that the time left can change depending on your actions is such a great addition. You've gotta be really conscious of what you do in a world like that. Knowing that as the reader made me feel so wary of everything Emmery did. It kept me on the edge of my seat!

Major Tom by @sabreene
    Most Atmospheric
    The tone of the story was so perfect for the subject matter. It really made me understand all of the emotions Spider was going through. I felt hopeless right along with him, and that was thanks to his voice and the screenshots. Everything about the setting and tone connected and made for a very focused story with a lot of mood and ambience.
  • Options
    BruNCC93BruNCC93 Posts: 209 Member
    Congratulations to everyone for all the amazing entries! It was really an incredible month and even though not all my favorites got placed (kind of difficult since I have more favs than there are places xD) I'm sure I'll end up re-reading most of them; hard to resist so much awesomeness after all!

Also, I may actually have an idea for this month! No idea if it'll lead anywhere but at least it's a start, right? :D
    [
  • Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    I got an awesome idea for this month from a customer who bought 40 33oz bags of Hersheys Kisses....
  • Options
    Thanks @mastressalita for putting together that list of the superlatives. I think what I might do is add links to each months entry lists. That should make it easy to find the superlatives without worrying about maxing the character limit on the front page.

@CitizenErased14 @ra3rei and @Munterbacon I think those collage style photos are fine. I'm not looking to police the rules too much. As long as no one uses all (or a lot) of collages for one story I think it's fine. If someone did go overboard with it I think it would feel like they were trying to get around the rules, but I haven't seen any of that. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Options
    IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    Congratulations to all the winners! I'm going to try to put an entry together for this month, but it might come closer towards the end. ;)
  • Options
    WinteryGarnetWinteryGarnet Posts: 2,320 Member
    Hiya! I wrote a story for this month. Do I post the link here or in a private message?