The Sims 4 Is Coming To Xbox One and PlayStation 4! Read the blog for more info.

Monthly SimLits - A Short Story Challenge with new themes every month and voting for winners

Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
edited February 10 in Stories and Legacies
Hey everyone, welcome to Monthly SimLits - a short story competition! One which involves, coincidentally, writing short stories to the theme that is announced each month. This has been running since August 2015 and has always been hosted by the lovely @Carewren123 , but sadly, she had to give up due to RL. So she passed on the hosting to @Pegasus143 and @SilentWolf101 .

To see the August 2015 - October 2016 submissions and read the entries from those months, go to Carewren's original thread or click here.

General Guidelines:
  • New "theme" is announced on the 1st of every month.
  • Submissions must be in the form of a "short story".
  • You have the whole month to write and submit your short story.
  • Entries can be anywhere from 500-1500 words and contain anywhere from 1- 12 Sims-game screenshots. You can use a mix of Sims pictures and non-sims pictures, but you must use at least one picture you take in one of the Sims games. (Check the 2nd post - The post with the current theme - For any special rules/exceptions each month)
  • You can write your submission on your blog or on a forum thread.
  • To enter just post a message with a link to your submission for that month.
  • You can use any Sims from any and all Sims games for these challenges even if you already use them in another story.
  • At the end of the month we will all vote to pick a winner for that month. Voting will be open for 4-5 days after the end of each month. (The link to vote will be posted each time.)
  • You may write more than one story each month, but you must select only one for submission into the challenge. If you do write more than one, then the one(s) you don't pick for the competition can be entered into the Just For Fun section.
  • Please do not solicit votes.

If you participate in a challenge, feel free to display the banner below in your forum signature, blog, or wherever you want!

6625487_orig.jpg

Click here to download the participant banner.

There will also be banners for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place specific for each month. This way you can display a collection of them if you eventually win more than one challenge :)
Post edited by Spottydog714 on

Comments

• SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,210 Member
    edited August 2
    Current Challenge

August's Theme: The Villain All Along

This month, the protagonist of your story must be the villain of the story.

Special Rules:
    Surprise! As a birthday gift from me to you, you get 1-15 screenshots and 500-2,000 words. :)
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Submissions:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "For Fun" Entries: (Any stories listed here are inspired by the monthly theme, but don't follow all the rules of the challenge and aren't in the monthly poll. Sometimes writers can't put limits on their creativity, and that's all good. Enjoy!)
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Voting Is OPEN

Voting for July 2017 winners will be open from August 1st to August 7th, 12 pm Central time

Click here

Rules:
    • Select your three favorite stories
    • No soliciting votes.

1st place goes to the story with the most votes, 2nd place to the one with the 2nd most amount, etc, etc.

Click here to see a list of all the entries :blush:
    Post edited by SilentWolf101 on
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited August 5
    Previous Challenges
    Each link will take you to a list of all stories submitted that month, as well as details of the theme.
    This Year: 2016: 2015:
    Post edited by Pegasus143 on
  • Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    edited February 10
    So excited for this :)
    Post edited by Spottydog714 on
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 2,290 Member
    Voting Is CLOSED

No Voting is open at this time.

Polls close at 11:59pm (Greenwich Mean Time) on the last day of voting.

I am confused .. I through it went thru the the 6th
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    Voting Is CLOSED

No Voting is open at this time.

Polls close at 11:59pm (Greenwich Mean Time) on the last day of voting.

I am confused .. I through it went thru the the 6th

@lisabee2 @Carewren123 's vote is open for October, but ours is closed because we haven't officially started the new thread yet. Our first vote will be for November. :)
  • chealsycatchealsycat Posts: 2,592 Member
    Nice start! o:) Good luck with the thread! :)
    chealsycat wrote: »
    Nice start! o:) Good luck with the thread! :)

@chealsycat Thank you :)
  • cshanercshaner Posts: 2,630 Member
    Got the new thread bookmarked! Thanks @Pegasus143 , @Spottydog714 , and @SilentWolf101 for all you are undertaking as @Carewren123 steps down!
    edited November 2016
    Alrighty guys! Time for the new thread's kickstart! Here's this month's theme! :D

November's Theme: 100

This year is the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Somme. In the spirit of the anniversary, what's something "100" in your sims game? :)

Special Rules:
    None this month. The usual 1-12 screenshots, and 500-1500 word limit are still in effect. :)

Submissions:
    @rednenemon with Huiliang of the Hundred Days
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "For Fun" Entries: (Any stories listed here are inspired by the monthly theme, but don't follow all the rules of the challenge and aren't in the monthly poll. Sometimes writers can't put limits on their creativity, and that's all good. Enjoy!)
    Post edited by SilentWolf101 on
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 2,912 Member
    I know voting for October isn't quite over, but...eh. I did my entry for November fairly early, it uses 100 at a couple points, I just hope it's acceptable:
    GzyjqeT.jpg

The reason the link is under spoilers: The title has a name of a character is spoilery for anyone who's read Chronicles.
    OH I have been wracking my brains on this one .. I have finally come upon an idea. It still has a ton of holes in it but at least I am started.
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    OH I have been wracking my brains on this one .. I have finally come upon an idea. It still has a ton of holes in it but at least I am started.

Woohoo! I can't wait to see it! ^-^
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I think I've got a great idea outlined! Just got to get the screenshots and story written before I leave next week for my Thanksgiving trip.
    I think I've got a great idea outlined! Just got to get the screenshots and story written before I leave next week for my Thanksgiving trip.

Woohoo! It makes me so happy to know that people are coming from the old thread over here and using this thread. :smiley:
  • putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,678 Member
    Does the theme have to relate to something 100 in our sims game technically or like just 100 as a general concept?
    Does the theme have to relate to something 100 in our sims game technically or like just 100 as a general concept?

So, the answer that we came up with was that it was more of a general concept. So, for example, the 100th day of something.
  • putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,678 Member

So, the answer that we came up with was that it was more of a general concept. So, for example, the 100th day of something.

Ohk. I just wanted clarification. That makes it easier. Thank you.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 3,545 Member
    Time to jeopardize Senna’s guaranteed #1 spot. ;) :p

• Raven_CatRaven_Cat Posts: 44 Member
    Finally got mine written. Now, on to my NaNoWriMo story, maybe...

Let's Procrastinate
    Thank you @InfraGreen and @Raven_Cat :)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 19,634 Member
    edited November 2016
    Yes! I've got a story! I took a bit of a break from the short story contests (due to busy work schedule) and it feels GREAT to be writing for it again! :)

Here's the entry! The No. 100 Bus
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Yes! I've got a story! I took a bit of a break from the short story contests (due to busy work schedule) and it feels GREAT to be writing for it again! :)

Here's the entry! The No. 100 Bus

Can't wait to read it @CathyTea :)
    I am working hard on mine .. my daughter's MS relapse has taken a bit of the drive out of all of us. I will have it in on time (and it is my first REAL co-lab .. I am so excited)
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited November 2016
    I had a really silly idea and planned to get it all done over my long weekend, but then I got hit with a really severe migraine that took me down for three days straight (including missing work today). I don't think there is any way I'll get my screenshots and manage to get the writing done in a mere two days, so this might be my first month taking a month off since I started... ah well. It was really ridiculous and if I find the time to still do it I might turn it in late For Fun if anyone was curious what my crazy mind had cooked up. :-P
    edited November 2016
    Oh no @lisabee2 I hope your daughter gets better soon. And looking forward to your entry :)
    @mastressalita That's not fun :( I would love to read what your mind has cooked up. It's always brilliant!