Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Oh, today's the last day to vote, isn't it?

It is! Hence my not-a-bump... :tongue:

I'm also so anxious for more January entries! This is an intriguing theme and I want to see what others did with it!!! :blush:

I've got an idea, but I'm not sure it will fit a short story! I think I'm going to do it for that very reason--for the challenge of making an idea that might not quite fit the short story format fit! It will take a little game-play before I can write it, so I probably won't have mine ready until the end of the month...

And I'm not reading yours (or others) until I've written mine!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @Spottydog714 and @CathyTea I'm very interested to see your entries :blush: I'm sure they'll be great! And I figured at much CT :tongue: I don't read others' entries until I've written mine either, so I get it! Being the first entry is always lonely for a while until people start reading :lol: (Except for a few non-contest people, who are lovely and have already read haha)

I'm interested to see how you're able to adapt your story to the contest format! :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Just finished the pre-writing of my story and I love it. Going to step away from it for a day and then give it a read, see if I need to make any changes.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    Yay @Munterbacon !!! :blush:

Eager to hear who the winners for December were, and to share my superlatives! :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Hey guys! Sorry I forgot to announce the close of the vote last night. It was one of my cousin's birthday. It was also my grandmother's birthday (who died unexpectedly last April). So we all decided to go out and celebrate to make a difficult day a happy day especially for my little cousin.

Back to the business at hand...
    Yay @Munterbacon !!! :blush:

Eager to hear who the winners for December were, and to share my superlatives! :)

You'll be happy to hear that I have them all tallied and will announce in just a few minutes. As a little teaser I will say we had our first tie!!!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    Announce December's Winners!!!

The voting was closer than ever. I think that shows how awesome these stories all are!

As a result of the closeness of the vote we had out first tie!

In a tie for 3rd place we have @sebreene and @CathyTea with their stories "For Auld Lang Syne" and "One Night" respectively.

In 2nd place is @Munterbacon with "Ninjapig and the Foodie Five Vs. The Meatball Menagerie"

AAAAAND in 1st place is @JoieWilder with "The Last Christmas"

Congratulations to the winners and everyone who participated for their continued awesomeness!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    Discuss and share superlatives all you want now too!! I'll try to get mine ready soon.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Congrats to the winners :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    yay congrats everyone ^^ I'll admit I only voted for one of those but it was so hard to decide this month that I'm really not at all mad that my choices didn't make it ^^ all of these stories are awesome!
  • Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    Well done everyone! All entries were awesome and @sabreene @CathyTea @Munterbacon @JoieWilder really deserved your places! :)
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
    edited January 2016
    Okay, Superlative Time! :)

No Matter What by @CitizenErased14 - Best Author Self-Control
    For somehow resisting putting Lucas in the story somewhere...

:lol:

The Last Christmas by @JoieWilder - Most Touching
    What a beautiful and emotional story! The way you portrayed Clare's feeling of peace being with her family and accepting the outcome of her disease was very moving and handled quite well. Wonderful work!

December Fool's Day by @Pegasus143 - Most Clever Title
    The story about how your characters met one another was so fun and entertaining that, by the end, I'd almost forgotten the implications behind your title! Then when they were giggling at the end, I remembered! It was a cute and clever title for your story that worked well with the narrative, and has got me wondering what the true story might be!

One Night by @CathyTea - Most Thought-Provoking
    This story was very deep and really got me thinking! I enjoy how philosophical your stories often are, and this was no exception! I loved the way you executed your flashback as well :)

For Auld Lang Syne by @sabreene - Best Narrator
    Oh my, how I loved KC! So much so that I am really hoping we haven't seen the last of her! Her voice was just wonderful and felt very "real". You did an excellent job with her and I am hoping to hear more from her sometime ;)

Frozen Memories by @ra3rei - Most Creative Flashbacks
    I couldn't find the right name for this superlative, so I feel like I should win the superlative for "Lamest Superlative Title" hahaha. I really REALLY thought it was cool how you incorporated TS3 into your story. It really made the flashbacks feel like they were distinct from the present, and it worked so well for your narrative! You're always so creative, I love it! :)

Ninjapig and the Foodie Five Vs. The Meatball Menagerie by @Munterbacon - Most Ridiculously Hysterical
    What can I say? I laughed the entire time! Hahahaha it was hysterical and oh-so fun! I am really hoping that you share some future adventures with us someday! I see a lot of potential with this cute and funny concept :)

We Are Sisters Forever by @Spottydog714 - Most Unique
    Tying together the backstory of the Amazon challenge with Christmas was such a unique and creative idea! I was so impressed by your story's originality, and I loved the way that it was written like a legend!

Resolutions Resolved by @mastressalita - Most Relatable
    For me, your story really resonated (in a good way!). I think, even if people don't struggle with exactly the same issues as brought up in your story, I think it's really easy to relate to the idea of being pressured to conform to some sort of standard, and finding the courage to accept yourself for who you are. What a powerful message! And you expressed it so well in your story :)

A Christmas Change by @putacece4lyfe - Best Use of Theme
    Your story was by far the most Christmas-y of all, and really fit the feeling of the season! What a unique spin on things too, focusing on Mrs. Claus. Her side of the story is rarely given, I think, so it was a great spin to put on the story. Nicely done!
    snvAF3B.png
    Thank you @CitizenErased14 =)
    EkpFDaf.png
  • JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited January 2016
    OMG! I can't believe I won! You guys are awesome. <3 I don't know my superlatives yet, but I'm working on them. All the stories were so wonderful. Congratulations to the other winners.
  • BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    Congrats everyone!! It was hard to vote!
    Thank you, and congrats to the other winners! I'll post my superlatives when I'm fully awake, it's back to bed for me right now! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    Congrats to everyone- it was so hard to vote for this month because they were all that good!
    Totally not bumping again. No way! ;)
    snvAF3B.png
    Oh! Thanks for the reminder Citizen! I forgot my comments on the December entries! :D

The Last Christmas by @JoieWilder
    Totally agree with Citizen, it was a touching story. I thought it was going to be bitter-sweet but when the tale was over I was smiling... Perfect!

December Fool's Day by @Pegasus143
    You got me! I totally believed the story until I remembered the title! I read it again and chuckled as I saw it with different eyes! Well done!

One Night by @CathyTea
    I read this on a day that was unseasonally cold for this time of year down here. Something about the way that CT told the story - the message, the choice of words, really warmed me up inside. I forgot about the miserable weather outside and was just in the moment.

For Auld Lang Syne by @sabreene
    KC had such a unique voice, I loved her! Her look was amazing too! And Willow!!! :love::love::love: I'm a sucker for a redhead, and I was totally blown away at how gorgeous she was, and how sweet she was with KC!

Frozen Memories by @ra3rei
    A really nice message in your story. It's something that is often overlooked, we all expect that someone will just slot into your perfect Christmas celebration and that's it... But it's never that simple. As an extended family we've learnt to adapt over the years as the family dynamic changes.

No Matter What by @CitizenErased14
    It was nice to see Mel again. She definitely made the right choice with that last letter, although I kind of want to know what it said. I have an idea, but I'm probably completely wrong! :D Christian was really sweet in it, just being there for Mel even though he didn't agree with her about seeing her mother.

We Are Sisters Forever by @Spottydog714
    It was an interesting take on the whole Amazon Challenge idea. The idea of the Amazon challenge sometimes make me feel uncomfortable (probably because I'm a guy), but after reading this, I think I could probably give them a go!

Resolutions Resolved by @mastressalita
    Oh man... I wanted to reach through the screen and throttle the interfering family! It felt so real how they went about doing so, and your narrator's voice was perfect.

A Christmas Change by @putacece4lyfe
    Magical! Everything about this story was magical! The set design, the characters, the story direction, the reference to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. It was such a sweet and captivating story, and embodied the spirit of Christmas perfectly.
    dustshaela.jpg
    edited January 2016
    Thanks @Munterbacon :) I loved writing about Mel again, and showing more of her darker past that really helped shape her into who she is in D2D :blush:

Wanna know a secret though? I don't even know what was in the letter! :lol: So there is no "right" or "wrong" idea! :blush: (I'd be interested to hear yours though! Or anyone who has an idea haha I have a couple of my own).

I purposely didn't address what was in the letter, because the content of the letter doesn't really matter, I guess. Mel knew that, no matter what it said, she'd feel tempted to contact her mother again, and risk hurting herself, her husband, and her daughter. My last line was almost supposed to be ambiguous... She was doing what's best for her family... But which family? Her mother? Her husband and daughter? The answer is that it was best for everyone, I think!

Sorry to go into a random discussion about my own story :lol: Carry on, thread :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Big congrats to all the winners! I've been a bit busy with this whole "back to work" business, so I'll probably find the time to sit down and write up my superlatives this weekend. ^_^
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 3,131 Member
    Finished writing my short for this month! Now to edit things! :D
    3gXRDPf.gif
    Twitter: @Penguinwa101
    Tumblr: http://penguinentertainment.tumblr.com/
    Youtube: Penguin Entertainment
    @Munterbacon I have no idea how my story changed your mind about the amazon challenge, because the whole thing was pretty sexist :D , but thank you anyway, I really appreciate it, (and all the other feedback I get) =)
    EkpFDaf.png
    @Munterbacon I have no idea how my story changed your mind about the amazon challenge, because the whole thing was pretty sexist :D , but thank you anyway, I really appreciate it, (and all the other feedback I get) =)

Oh yeah it was :D But you gave some context in a very believable way that allows me to think past all that. :smiley:
    dustshaela.jpg

Oh yeah it was :D But you gave some context in a very believable way that allows me to think past all that. :smiley:

Well. That's good. Thank you! =)
    EkpFDaf.png
    Well, only 3 screenshots left to take/edit and my entry will be done. It's hard trying to only fit 12 screenshots into my story, so I'm having to get "creative" with what I do! :D
    dustshaela.jpg