Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN THE SIMS 4 - New Update to Feature Sexual Orientation in Create a Sim

Comments

• Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,102 Member
    edited August 2022
    Can Sims autonomously choose their orientation with out our influence? My sim self’s wife Liberty refused WooHoo with him after WooHooing with him two sim days ago and just destroyed nine sim years of their marriage by blurting out she doesn’t like WooHoo with men to him. I didn’t change her settings at all.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »
    Can Sims autonomously choose their orientation with out our influence? My sim self’s wife Liberty refused WooHoo with him after WooHooing with him two sim days ago and just destroyed nine sim years of their marriage by blurting out she doesn’t like WooHoo with men to him. I didn’t change her settings at all.

Holy cow! You didn't save your game did you?
  • Options
    Brd709 wrote: »

Holy cow! You didn't save your game did you?

I did at the time as i needed to go out. It throws a new idea for a story to explore as in 1989 will be their 10th wedding anniversary.
    Here is the moment i screen captured her announcement! When i clicked on their bed there was no option for my sim self to WooHoo his wife any more.
    NZZK8gO.png

But after that rejection, she still didn't mind making out with my sim self in the "garage" closet with him!
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I just wanted to say thank you to @EA_Cade for explaining how all this works in the original post. Yes I know I'm a little slow in responding, been busy with many things. lol At first I wasn't quite sure what to think of this new change, but after reading the explanation, and many of the replies afterward is going to be a real game changer for my sims. I can't tell you the number of times when rotating to a different household, will I find one of my other sims acting totally out of character. Hopefully, now this will fix that.
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I love this update, and I want my merfolk to be able to figure out their interests.

However, one thing I wish was off limits was inter-family romance interactions. I’m talking about sims on the same family tree being able to romance each other after multiple generations.

I’ve reached the 4th or 5th generation and now, I have a bunch of mermen that can perform romance interactions with each other even though they are blood related, cousins and uncles.

I’m hesitant to let my sims find their own identities while this is a possibility.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    I love this update, and I want my merfolk to be able to figure out their interests.

However, one thing I wish was off limits was inter-family romance interactions. I’m talking about sims on the same family tree being able to romance each other after multiple generations.

I’ve reached the 4th or 5th generation and now, I have a bunch of mermen that can perform romance interactions with each other even though they are blood related, cousins and uncles.

I’m hesitant to let my sims find their own identities while this is a possibility.

I got interested in this because two of my relatives (married to each other) did their genealogies and discovered they were actually fourth cousins. They were shocked to discover this, but it isn't at all rare. And according to Rutgers anthropology professor Robin Fox, 80% of all marriages in history have been between second cousins or closer. In the non-Western world, 50% of marriages still are. Furthermore we are all cousins! The most distant person within your culture or ethnicity is probably closer than a 15th cousin, while the farthest relation you have on Earth is likely to be as far as a 50th cousin. I think we forget that 10 generations ago in real life could take you back to the 1600's. Imagine if we had to check our own family trees that far back.
  • Options
    telemwill wrote: »

I got interested in this because two of my relatives (married to each other) did their genealogies and discovered they were actually fourth cousins. They were shocked to discover this, but it isn't at all rare. And according to Rutgers anthropology professor Robin Fox, 80% of all marriages in history have been between second cousins or closer. In the non-Western world, 50% of marriages still are. Furthermore we are all cousins! The most distant person within your culture or ethnicity is probably closer than a 15th cousin, while the farthest relation you have on Earth is likely to be as far as a 50th cousin. I think we forget that 10 generations ago in real life could take you back to the 1600's. Imagine if we had to check our own family trees that far back.

@telemwill those are some interesting statistics, but it’s not that hard to see family relationships in the sims. You can easily follow the family trees. It can still get really weird.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @telemwill

I’m only at the 4th generation with my Kailani Family and the 3rd Generation with my Zalrian Family. The family branches from 3 brothers that share the same mother. Calum and Reef are the ones that had kids. The difference in name is how I keep track of who’s in which family.

I haven’t gotten past the great-grandchild and grandchildren in these families and the option is now available at the most extreme ends of the family. I don’t think that’s far enough separation to make it normal for any of them to engage in romance.

Calum is the great-uncle of Zalen Kailani and he can romance his nephew when he ages up.

Lir Kailani is Reef’s Grandson, and Calum’s Sons, Dylan and Zephyr, can romance him….

Edit: to simplify things, Lir is a cousin once removed from Dylan and Zephyr….
  • Options
    @telemwill

I’m only at the 4th generation with my Kailani Family and the 3rd Generation with my Zalrian Family. The family branches from 3 brothers that share the same mother. Calum and Reef are the ones that had kids. The difference in name is how I keep track of who’s in which family.

I haven’t gotten past the great-grandchild and grandchildren in these families and the option is now available at the most extreme ends of the family. I don’t think that’s far enough separation to make it normal for any of them to engage in romance.

Calum is the great-uncle of Zalen Kailani and he can romance his nephew when he ages up.

Lir Kailani is Reef’s Grandson, and Calum’s Sons, Dylan and Zephyr can romance him….

Yes, that is weird! There are so many bugs in the game right now that I am looking up odd facts on the Internet instead of playing. :D Actually I am really just waiting on mods right now. I will probably wait on the new pack until the random romance is either fixed or a mod made to deal with it.
  • Options
    But, I don’t play the sims for realism. My sims are merfolk and I have aging turned off for my played households. For all intensive purposes, my merfolk will never die from old age. I treat them like they are immortal.

So, even if we are statistically all cousins, it doesn’t mean I want my two major families to be able to romance each other, especially since I can easily see that they are related.
  • Options
    @telemwill

Lir Kailani is Reef’s Grandson, and Calum’s Sons, Dylan and Zephyr can romance him….

Yes, that is weird! There are so many bugs in the game right now that I am looking up odd facts on the Internet instead of playing. :D Actually I am really just waiting on mods right now. I will probably wait on the new pack until the random romance is either fixed or a mod made to deal with it.

@telemwill There’s a limit to how many sims I can keep in a save… I don’t think I’ll extend the family enough for romance between cousins to be normal.
  • Options

@Metior_Ice I hear you. I tend to play with aging off too, and only really have one legacy family. All the rest are rotational, so the generations grow very slowly. I think the most I have in my rotation is three generations. My legacy family has four. I don't plan to have any Sims marry cousins either. I just thought it was an interesting statistic since a lot of simmers play longer legacies.
  • Options
    @Metior_Ice I hear you. I tend to play with aging off too, and only really have one legacy family. All the rest are rotational, so the generations grow very slowly. I think the most I have in my rotation is three generations. My legacy family has four. I don't plan to have any Sims marry cousins either. I just thought it was an interesting statistic since a lot of simmers play longer legacies.

@telemwill It’s the same here. In my mind, Reef has a different father from his step-brothers Kemps and Calum, but it’s a challenge to keep my families from romancing each other.

With this new update, the only way I can prevent problematic romance is to make all of the mermen in my current generation straight… I don’t like it, but there is nothing that can stop the romance otherwise.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    My other mermen have their orientation adjusted according to how they developed through gameplay. I have gay mermen and one of my most important mermen is bi. I tried to make a trans mermaid but I couldn’t get the clothes to fit the way I expected. My trans mermaid couldn’t even go through womens doors with a male biological sex. She also wore a towel in the spa like a man instead of the woman, mermaid, she is. So, I ended up making her biologically female for now.

In real life, I consider myself to be bi. Although, I haven’t been in a serious relationship out of personal choice. I don’t really talk about my own orientation much… I almost think I’m still figuring things out myself… but, to me, sexual orientation isn’t the most important part of my identity.

Most of my played sims are mermen because, well, my sims haven’t had a daughter yet.

Actually, Calum did have a daughter, but she’s a fire elemental and fire doesn’t mix well with aquatic mythical creatures… My point is that most of my merfolk children are mermen and merboys.

I wish children had a merman or mermaid form because that would fix a bug that prevents mermen and mermaids from having a tail when they age up… But that’s a topic for another thread.
  • Options
    But, at the end of the day, I’m in a situation where I have to make my mermen straight instead of letting them discover their own identity because they can romance their cousins… I know they will if I leave the option available.

Extended explanation in the spoiler
    When I start a new save, I transfer my merfolk to the new save from the gallery. I forgot to change Reef’s relationship with his brothers so the game recognizes them as brothers.

Since Dylan is bisexual and I have all my merfolk hangout at the beach for club hangouts, he ended up with a nearly full romance bar with his uncle. I suspect that this happened because they spent enough time around each other… It was so wrong, and my game still hasn’t culled that relationship after I fixed Reef’s familial status with his brothers.

Reef was never bisexual. It was before this update, so this problem is rooted in how the game sees sims in the same family tree and the way gameplay changes their orientation. Once I fixed the relationship, that put a hard stop to Dylan and Reef’s romance.

But, @Brd709 has a really weird situation too. His simself’s wife developed a preference for not woohooing men after discussing her fear of a dead end job with a neighbor? I think I expressed that right.

I think in both situations, mine and @Brd709, the romances developed while they weren’t on the active lots. I don’t think either of us saw the interactions that developed their romantic preferences.

I knew Dylan was Bi before his romance with his uncle. Dylan would que up romantic interactions with both men and women before he was married.

But, I think these random romances were possible well before they made this update, and I think they happen on lots that aren’t active and when the households are not played. It’s an autonomous behavior that only happens when the romance interactions are available to the sims.
  • Options
    But, at the end of the day, I’m in a situation where I have to make my mermen straight instead of letting them discover their own identity because they can romance their cousins… I know they will if I leave the option available.

Extended explanation in the spoiler
    When I start a new save, I transfer my merfolk to the new save from the gallery. I forgot to change Reef’s relationship with his brothers so the game recognizes them as brothers.

Since Dylan is bisexual and I have all my merfolk hangout at the beach for club hangouts, he ended up with a nearly full romance bar with his uncle. I suspect that this happened because they spent enough time around each other… It was so wrong, and my game still hasn’t culled that relationship after I fixed Reef’s familial status with his brothers.

Reef was never bisexual. It was before this update, so this problem is rooted in how the game sees sims in the same family tree and the way gameplay changes their orientation. Once I fixed the relationship, that put a hard stop to Dylan and Reef’s romance.

But, @Brd709 has a really weird situation too. His simself’s wife developed a preference for not woohooing men after discussing her fear of a dead end job with a neighbor? I think I expressed that right.

I think in both situations, mine and @Brd709, the romances developed while they weren’t on the active lots. I don’t think either of us saw the interactions that developed their romantic preferences.

I knew Dylan was Bi before his romance with his uncle. Dylan would que up romantic interactions with both men and women before he was married.

But, I think these random romances were possible well before they made this update, and I think they happen on lots that aren’t active and when the households are not played. It’s an autonomous behavior that only happens when the romance interactions are available to the sims.

Hmm, I wonder if turning off the "exploring" option for Sims would stop them from pursuing inappropriate relationships? Seems like something went drastically wrong with this last update. I hope it's fixed soon!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @telemwill the thing is. This potential inappropriate romance could happen before they updated the game. It’s a problem with the default settings. We can just see how they change preferences, but this has been around longer than the update.

It’s a bug in their autonomy.

As far as I can tell, it doesn’t happen on Active Lots or while the household is played. I play with autonomy on, and I pay very close attention to what my main twin mermen, Dylan and Zeph, do. I never saw any of Dylan’s romance interactions with Reef, but he filled the romance bar none the less.

Edit: All I can say for certain is that romance can only autonomously develop if the option is available when you play the sims. After I had Dylan ask his Uncle to be just friends and then changed the relationship settings between Reef and Dylan’s Dad, the romance never grew again, but despite everything I’ve done, Reef is still under the romantic relationship tab for Dylan.
  • Options
    Currently, Reef still appears as a former romantic interest of Dylan’s, but now that the game recognizes him as his Uncle, they can’t perform any romance interactions with each other.

I’ve just ignored it like it’s a bug, but the game isn’t culling the relationship.

I’ll be starting a new save again soon, and I’m going to make sure that Dylan doesn’t have a romance with his uncle or cousins.

But, we’ll see if making almost all my mermen straight and making sure Reef and Calum are brothers will prevent this from resurfacing. I just hope none of my current generation has any daughters because that will throw everything I’m trying to do to prevent inappropriate romances out the window.

I’m hoping that they look into this.

For me, I think making it impossible for sims to perform romance with other sims on the same family tree would solve this. I’m talking about sims with common ancestors.

But, it would also help if sims that are neither on the active lot nor in the active household didn’t develop romances.

It’s always possible that I just didn’t see the interactions, but with how much Dylan and Reef developed their romance, I’m very surprised that I never saw one romantic interaction in all the time I spent rotating between households. You’d think I would have seen them flirt or blow a kiss, but I never saw any indication of their relationship after a very long time.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,106 Member
    I've only used the orientation once so far, just to mess with it - no opinion on it yet. As for the cousins thing, as they are not recognized (second cousins I believe) I let them marry. It's legal in the US lol. I don't allow inappropriate relationships with inlaws though. But marrying those second cousins or whatever, if they want to, keeps my household numbers down.
  • Options
    I've only used the orientation once so far, just to mess with it - no opinion on it yet. As for the cousins thing, as they are not recognized (second cousins I believe) I let them marry. It's legal in the US lol. I don't allow inappropriate relationships with inlaws though. But marrying those second cousins or whatever, if they want to, keeps my household numbers down.

@WildIrishBanshee I can see how that can help keep the household number down and I understand how that can help.

However, I also know that I don’t like it in my game. I embrace many of my sims’ preferences, but if they are on the same family tree, I don’t let them romance each other.
  • Options
    So after the dust had settled on last night's bombshell, my sim self was still able to ask his wife her romantic preferences. She told him she was still attracted to men but wants to WooHoo with women? Does his wife need to do a bit more exploring?
    wlMp3ua.png
  • Options
    DarrenDarren Posts: 129 Member
    So much for "townies won't have a sexual orientation". They have.
    Good luck finding someone of the appropriate age and gender who is not in a relationship.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,287 Member
    edited August 2022
    Matchmaking seems to ignore the sexual orientation.

My sim convinced Molly who is lesbian to date a male sim and she liked him.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 722 Member
    Is there potentially a bug with this update? If so where can it be reported? I mentioned my disappointment about this in another thread, but I've gone through and set all my playable sims to what I want their respective sexualities to be, as well as made sure the 'no exploration' box was ticked. My Bi, Lesbian and Gay sims, who are all in long term relationships with most also married, have started flirting up a storm and propositioning Sims for dates, regardless of their a) set sexual preference, and b) regardless of their relationships status. This was not something that was generally happening before the update. In contrast my Sims who are set to a heterosexual preference and/or who have not had their sexuality defined in CAS are behaving as before without the rampant over flirting and propositioning of other sims.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,287 Member
    @GrimlyFiendish

Autonomous flirty behavior came with this update in order to allow autonomous promposal in EP12 High School Years.

It reminds me Neighborhood Stories also tries romance and engagement with married sims.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top