Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims all look the same!

Comments

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    He looks great, @jillbg :) Nothing like CC to give our special sims the looks they deserve!
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer What skin did you use on her, really softened her face nicely without touching the sliders!
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited November 2018
    I believe that it was E-Skin's Natural. :) But the next time I'm in-game, I'll check and make sure.

Edit: Yes, @bekkasan, it was. :)
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    Still working on the sim I posted on previous page.

Here's a reminder of how he started
    44876167095_5172c87ef0_o.jpg

I've done a lot more tweaking since then and changed his skin. I know he doesn't look like any of my other sims, so I would think this is a good example of how sims don't all look the same.
    45110514624_34640afdf3_o.jpg
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    omg @Mikezumi I just love your siggy hahahaha :D

Btw, what is the cc skin you are using for this sim? He looks very nice, especially the nose.

I'm bad at tweaking nose for my sims. Some of my sims have awkward looking nose shapes because of that >.<
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    @ChocoCub Thanks :) The skin is A Matter of Skin by Mamyrocker. This one's nose is proving very difficult!
  • Options
    @ChocoCub A Matter of Skin is perfect for sims with noses that have the definition slider set low.
    41067674675_70e2c48686_o.jpg
  • Options
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @ChocoCub Thanks :) The skin is A Matter of Skin by Mamyrocker. This one's nose is proving very difficult!

Ooh, thanks very much! :smiley: yeah, I almost end up making sims with similar looking noses and that's when I realised I'm horrible with tweaking nose sliders.

I made this doll-looking sim some time ago. She was a result of me playing/experimenting with some cc sliders in my game because I didn't even spend enough time using those and was curious to see how the sliders are affecting a sim's appearance. Yeah, her mouth looks a bit odd. :joy:

brenda_orig.png
    ._.
  • Options
    @ChocoCub I am only learning how to use CC sliders but I am loving how much difference they make. I believe I have used about 8 different CC sliders on his nose alone.
    Your sim has potential but I do think the nose is a little odd.
  • Options
    @ChocoCub I am only learning how to use CC sliders but I am loving how much difference they make. I believe I have used about 8 different CC sliders on his nose alone.
    Your sim has potential but I do think the nose is a little odd.

Yeah, I know. That's because of the use of custom sliders that I'm not too familiar with. They modify the shapes to an extend that it looks awkward and odd xD I love how your sims all have good-looking noses. I need to learn from you, lol.
    ._.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I think he's looking great @Mikezumi
    @ChocoCub I love how expressive your sims eyes are. I don't mind odd looking noses myself.

I only use a few CC sliders. Not a lot, but one of my favourites is the Nose Bridge Bump slider. It thickens the nose slightly, around the bridge, and can make it look broken.
    I use it sparingly on females, and I like the effect it gives, as illustrated on Ester below, but ARGH my nostrils ALWAYS end up coming out looking the same from front on, and I don't know why. I lowered her nostrils and made them a lot less defined that my usual sims have, but they still look so similar :s

tumblr_pi2alpwm7F1uj2se4o2_1280.jpg
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    wanna hear something weird? i'm told the system becomes more diverse and "smarter" in its design of your sims based on the sims in your sim bin. i for one have downloaded literally hundreds of sims and sliders over the years. and true to form, the game really does begin to generate more unique and interesting faces with this content on hand to pull from. a time or two i even found myself stopping to grab a townie and save them because they were so unexpectedly beautiful. it's like a virtual gene pool, bruv. if you want more flavor, dump in more ingredients. hope that helps!

I didn't see this comment addressed so I would like to dissect it. Obviously no ill will meant towards you @rabidgummibear. Nine years later and there are still plenty of game myths and half-truths and rumors that still surface.

NRaas StoryProgression has a setting to generate townies from sims in your household library (not the CAS bin), but TS3 isn't really a smart game on its own and doesn't take any existing sims at all into consideration when generating sims. The same-face townie issue has been experienced since 2010 or earlier and was never formally taken care of or even acknowledged. So without the StoryProgression mod, using the game's townies as time goes on will just make the problem worse. Though at this point, most TS3 veterans know about the bug and do their work against it, whatever it may be.

But NRaas StoryProgression can help the problem as long as you have good sims in your library (and want to deal with the settings), and people have been uploading sims for nine years now. It's a great solution if you're fine with waiting and taking a chance with looks.
    Pary wrote: »
    I think he's looking great @Mikezumi
    @ChocoCub I love how expressive your sims eyes are. I don't mind odd looking noses myself.

I only use a few CC sliders. Not a lot, but one of my favourites is the Nose Bridge Bump slider. It thickens the nose slightly, around the bridge, and can make it look broken.
    I use it sparingly on females, and I like the effect it gives, as illustrated on Ester below, but ARGH my nostrils ALWAYS end up coming out looking the same from front on, and I don't know why. I lowered her nostrils and made them a lot less defined that my usual sims have, but they still look so similar :s

tumblr_pi2alpwm7F1uj2se4o2_1280.jpg

@Pary: do you have OneEuroMutt's nose sliders? I love those now. Nostril Scale and Curve pick up where the game's own Nostril Rotate left off (it's good but the effect isn't "complete" and doesn't do much for the profile)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I don't think I have those ones. I have Nose Bridge bump, Nose Tip Height & Lower nose height. I'll check out those others, thanks!
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited November 2018
    @Pary, she's adorable. I found a site that had a plethora of sliders in ONE package. :sneaky: and I downloaded it.

Altering just the rotation of the nostrils can give your sim a whole new appearance. Some can have an upward tilt to their nostrils and others will lower. I've been trying to make Tracey Needham as Meg in JAG and FINALLY...with the tilt of the nostrils and nose tip and the eyebrow distance slider, I was finally able to make a "reasonable sim-facsimile" for "Meg Austin" her character on JAG.

I've also been messing with the Head Width slider and find that's a great way of getting rid of the "round-head". :D

I think I've started to finally feel like I'm slightly familiar with the sliders from where I was when I first started playing Sims 3 in Jan. 2017. :D

Jan. 2017 -
    See...the group of sims I created back then?
    SimConfusion_banner2_rs.jpg
    :shudder: Had absolutely NO idea what sliders were for. :D

November 2018
    Screenshot-5.jpg
    No CC sliders; just using EA ones, No CC. :D

Well, I now have ALL the sliders that I downloaded in and all my CC back in the mods folder. :D I think I've lost count of how many times, I've had to hard reset my mods folder just this year. :D

Inner eye corner height and outer eye corner height are life-savers when it comes to bringing sim's face to life (their expressiveness).
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    Thanks @Pary :) Your sim has beautiful eyes!
    I think you will enjoy the suggested nose sliders. Although I don't use them on all my sims, they do help when I am creating sims based on people.
  • Options
    Nah! Dear OP, they don't :-)

Two black haired ladies Erin Kennedy and Pauline Wan, althoug Erin's hair color is much darker :-) But face wise they look very different :-)

NIRgdK6.jpg

j9se28A.jpg
  • Options
    therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    edited November 2018
    Roomies household, all different female Sims, Tamara, Emma and Blair:

Screenshot-248.jpg

Screenshot-100.jpg

Screenshot-95.jpg

Screenshot-245.jpg
  • Options
    therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    edited November 2018
    Even sisters, although similar, look different:

Screenshot-386.jpg

Screenshot-469.jpg
    Post edited by therealsunsetvalley on
  • Options
    JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    Gonna add to the pile of Sims without CC... but I do use a couple sliders, like 1 jawline one and 2 lip ones maybe, though.

06e298b30e02611c79c9eb8af6a9bfc3.jpg

Really don't get the pudding-face thing in your own sims. Townies, sure - they all look kind of bland unless the sliders mess up.

Now, comparing Sims 4 sims to Sims 3 sims? 3 doesn't hold a candle to 4, and I'm not sure everybody knows why, so here's some knowledge...
    As far as I know, in the sims 3, you are always going to be changing the same basic face. The eyes, nose, mouth, jaw, cheeks; those are all the exact same model, no matter the preset you choose. It's literally like playing with clay where you can't add or take away any clay, simply push it around. In the sims 4, every Sims' faces are like a bunch of puzzle pieces put together; the pieces being the eyes, nose, cheeks, chin, and jaw. When you choose different presets, the 3D models of the face are swapping out for other 3D models. (That's also why sometimes you see gaps inbetween facial features - some of the 'puzzle pieces' fit together better than others.) The face is fundamentally changing, but it doesn't in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    @JayedTadaSkier Of course sims will all look the same if you use presets! I have never tried TS4 but, from what I have seen from pics on the forum, I way prefer the look of TS3 sims. Just the thought of gaps makes my skin crawl :#
  • Options
    hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    this is why i don't play sims 3. In sims 3, no matter how many sliders you use, or cc you use, your sims always look the same. In sims 4, with direct manipulation, anything is possible, and there is truly variety.
  • Options
    annabethc wrote: »
    this is why i don't play sims 3. In sims 3, no matter how many sliders you use, or cc you use, your sims always look the same. In sims 4, with direct manipulation, anything is possible, and there is truly variety.

Then you were obviously doing it wrong.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

Then you were obviously doing it wrong.

You can lead a horse to water, but, you can't make it drink.

Shame after 5 pages of folks explaining how to make cool sims in sims 3 some folks just don't get it. I agree. They are doing it wrong and don't care enough to learn.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    Gonna add to the pile of Sims without CC... but I do use a couple sliders, like 1 jawline one and 2 lip ones maybe, though.

06e298b30e02611c79c9eb8af6a9bfc3.jpg

Really don't get the pudding-face thing in your own sims. Townies, sure - they all look kind of bland unless the sliders mess up.

Now, comparing Sims 4 sims to Sims 3 sims? 3 doesn't hold a candle to 4, and I'm not sure everybody knows why, so here's some knowledge...
    As far as I know, in the sims 3, you are always going to be changing the same basic face. The eyes, nose, mouth, jaw, cheeks; those are all the exact same model, no matter the preset you choose. It's literally like playing with clay where you can't add or take away any clay, simply push it around. In the sims 4, every Sims' faces are like a bunch of puzzle pieces put together; the pieces being the eyes, nose, cheeks, chin, and jaw. When you choose different presets, the 3D models of the face are swapping out for other 3D models. (That's also why sometimes you see gaps inbetween facial features - some of the 'puzzle pieces' fit together better than others.) The face is fundamentally changing, but it doesn't in the Sims 3.
    Comparing Sims 3 and 4 CAS makes Sims 4 the ‘winner’. As for sims though? Not for me. In game they tend to look the same unless you make them really cartoony, a lot gets lost due to facial expressions. And the art style gives them a plastic look, I prefer Sims 3’s texture. A problem in Sims 3 is the fact they didn’t really pay attention to bone structure or ethnics. But sims most definitely don’t have to all look alike. If they did, it wouldn’t be possible to link sims to their creators. In fact I’d be surprised if you can in Sims 4. Sims in 3 somehow have a ‘trademark’ that reveals who created them (if you know the simmer and their sims obviously). Sims in 4 don’t have that trademark, they could be anyone’s.

In 3 faces are a bunch of puzzle pieces as well by the way. That’s why I love playing with genetics in the game. ‘Composing’ a new face by combining the right parents. And the ‘playing with clay’ statement concerning Sims 4 isn’t true, even when it appears that way. It’s all sliders, just like in Sims 3. They just make you control those sliders differently.
    this is why i don't play sims 3. In sims 3, no matter how many sliders you I use, or cc you I use, your my sims always look the same. In sims 4, with direct manipulation more options, anything a lot is possible, and there is truly variety.
    There, fixed it ;) If that’s all that’s keeping you from playing Sims 3, just ask for some tips.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    @JayedTadaSkier Of course sims will all look the same if you use presets! ...

Exactly. I used presets for the first few sims I created in the beginning but soon realized their limitations. Using presets would definitely make all a persons sims have a similar look.