Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims all look the same!

12345679...Next

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 - I actually really love your "cartoony" Sims! And I actually don't go for hyperrealistic, myself either (I probably fall into the "big eyes" camp, instead).

I have never felt that Sims look too "same-y" with the exception of Sliders-0 auto-generated Sims. Certainly I think mine look plenty different.

Edit - also, knowing TS4 doesn't do body hair is another strike against it, for me. That is a must-have, and not just for my Werewolves (though, of course, especially for them).

Unfortunately TS4 hasn't brought out werewolves. :( That's a BIG strike against it.

Spent some time tweaking some of my sims.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited November 2018
    Keep in mind my sims include

No CC hair
    No CC clothes
    No CC makeup
    No Special sliders
    No Cc Eyebrows
    No CC Skin

These sims look nothing alike and used the same brow for both.

7oXVGyM.png

nGjw1te.png
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    And another

QEl8ZCU.png
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    Randomize 10 times and then play with the sliders. They used to say in Sims 2 that randomizing 10 times in CAS helps the game to generate more unique townies. It may or may not be the case, but I still do it.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Randomize 10 times and then play with the sliders. They used to say in Sims 2 that randomizing 10 times in CAS helps the game to generate more unique townies. It may or may not be the case, but I still do it.

^^^ This is exactly what I do! :D Randomize until I find an interesting face, then tweak the pudding out of them.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    I think in fact that’s a clever way to get variety. I often take one of my own sims as a starting point, but that’s a recipe to fall into the ‘personal trademark’ and comfort zone trap ;) I remember creating this girl that way (throwing the dice first in CAS and go from there).

Ilja_55.png

(Hope she shows up, Photobucket again...)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Oh she's lovely !
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    Thanks! Her problem was she didn’t make goodlooking sons, so this couple ended up just having girls :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited November 2018
    I may not be the most prolific of Sim-creators out there, but I thought I'd chip in with my two cents. Although I will try not to repeat what has already been said, I do agree wholeheartedly that sliders are your friend when it comes to making unique-looking Sims. The two Sims in the collage below are using the exact same CC hair, yet they look completely different. It's all thanks to the magic of sliders :) Also note that no CC sliders were used in creating these guys (except for one that adjusts brow thickness).
    2Fmtjny.jpg

On to my second point: I believe that it's more than just facial features that contribute to the overall look of a Sim. I find hair and style of dress to be important distinguishing features as well. Take a look at these guys, for example. I know they're not Sims (they're from another game I love called Stardew Valley) but I think they're a pretty good example of effective character design. Not only do they all look truly distinct from each other, each of them also gives off a specific impression. For example, the use of bright colours in Sam's design gives the image of a carefree young man, and his flamboyant, spi'ky (why the hell does that word get censored) hairdo could signify a rebellious nature. Where facial features are concerned, Harvey's rounder jawline and softer nose could indicate that he's a bit of a softie.
    YKl76a9.jpg

Of course, the best way to learn is by doing! And when you Simmify fictional characters such as these, you really start to get an appreciation of their design :) I've definitely played with the sliders here, but I also did my best to use clothes and hair to capture the unique feel of each character.
    XfW2SHj.jpg

Finally, on the topic of CC sliders: I do think the base-game sliders already give you quite a lot of options. Though if you're looking to start using some CC sliders, I would recommend getting a few custom sliders for the jaw. I have recently begun to use a few of these, not because I felt EA's jaw sliders were limited, but rather because they weren't very user-friendly. And if you want more custom sliders, only add a few at a time! I remember once downloading a whole heap of CC sliders and then feeling so overwhelmed with all the new options! The new jaw sliders worked a treat though, and without them I don't think I would've been able to capture Caleb Vatore here :)
    2efyPhT.jpg
    (Yes, I developed a crush on a plasticine vampire whose hair looks like someone glued a bunch of leaves to his head. Sue me.)
  • Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    @TinySpaceFox Your sims 3 vampire looks so much better then 4.
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    Odonata68 wrote: »

^^^ This is exactly what I do! :D Randomize until I find an interesting face, then tweak the pudding out of them.

it's easier than working from scratch
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
    @TinySpaceFox Awesome post! And great examples too that completely back up your story.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    @Dutchysim Thank you, I'm glad you like my take on Caleb :) He does use CC though.

@JoAnne65 Thank you :) Happy you enjoyed my post! I was just saying what I feel, really. You really know how to make your Sims look unique, especially with your cartoony TS4 Sims. They look like they must be a lot of fun to play!
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @TinySpaceFox I agree with adding only a few CC sliders at a time. I have a lot now but I added them gradually and usually only when I was making a sim and couldn't get the look I wanted with EA sliders. When I hit a block I would either go through what I had already downloaded or google what I needed. The first CC sliders I installed were twin sliders because I didn't like the way my male sims looked as females.
    edited June 2019
    @Mikezumi Do you also have a River Phoenix to match the young Keanu Reeves? :heartbreak:

@Auroraskies I am playing Keanu for the first time since I made him and I remembered you asking if I would make River Phoenix as well. I started working on River either yesterday or the day before :)
    48124678021_7e429c84c7_o.jpg
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Oh, he is adorable @Mikezumi! And looks very cleaned up from my memory of My own private Idaho. Forever young and careless again, living the life in your sim world, I hope they end up with eachother :heart: Now I need to watch that movie again!
    Thanks @Auroraskies :) He looks cleaned up because I haven't styled him after a movie character. I think it's about time I watched the movie again too. It's been many years!
    Oh, and I made him so he could be Keanu's partner in my current save :D
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I love that random button when I get stuck. Either that, or I grab a townie and see what I can do with them. There's a great mod HERE that can help with the sims that the game generates in the town being more random or not the same. I use a lot of CC, but not a lot of the slider mods. I really just like the one that makes them shorter or taller, but I've seen other people do some amazing things with just sliders!
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @StephSteb
    The link doesn't work.:(
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @Mikezumi
    That works.Thanks!
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    edited June 2019
    @StephSteb
    The link doesn't work.:(

Oh, no! I tried it before I posted it and I see now it's not working, so sorry! Thanks @Mikezumi <3