Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims all look the same!

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    LOL @Auroraskies I don't always play short life spans, although I do prefer them for getting through the generations.
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    I get what you’re saying here. I’ve been playing since Sims 1... (technically. I was super young when i discovered it and even then, when I did discover Sims, Sims 2 was already more than halfway through. But I digress )

...and to be honest I think that when first starting out with a Sims game, no matter the iteration, your sims will indeed look like crap. At least mine did. But this is based on my own opinion and my own experience with the game. There will always be others with better looking games than me but here’s what I think would help:

To start with, get default replacement CC. Items like default eyebrows, hair, eyes and skins are HUGE game changers when it comes to the look of your simmies.

Also, getting lighting mods will bring a whole new aspect to the game you never would have imagined. I know it’s just simple lighting but dang if it doesn’t make things look prettiful <3
    tumblr_phagx9Xrfo1xq9hdmo1_1280.jpg

You don’t need a whole bunch of CC, really. Like others smarter than me on here have already pointed out, playing around with the sliders is the key to having interesting looking sims. But admittedly, having default skins, eyes, and whatnot does help. Just my two cents :)
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @Amphora
    Beautiful photo.What lighting mod do you use?
    @Amphora
    Beautiful photo.What lighting mod do you use?
    Thank ya!

Here’s what I use: http://nilxis.tumblr.com/post/146704527436/uranesian-weather-this-is-the-weather-ive-created

I’ve been playing around with my in-game lighting lately trying to find a new look and so far I’m liking this one. Very clear and crisp and bright without being overly cartoony.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018
    A CC skin may help if you don’t like the vanilla look, it won’t help to solve the OP’s problem imo. I see a lot of CC covered sims looking alike as well (and a lot of skins I find uglier than vanilla myself, so that’s clearly a matter of preference). Where it comes to creating variety it does come down to pulling sliders. I disagree a vanilla sim will automatically look like plum (which isn’t what the OP is adressing by the way).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    suzses wrote: »
    My sims tend to look somewhat the same because I apparently have a one-tracked mind about how sims should look. But, they don't HAVE to look the same.

This is me also. My sims look very similar, mainly from the front, but often quite different side on. Or, I'll use CAS children of my three main couples who look almost like a clone of their Mum or Dad. Still though, they look similar enough for people to have remarked upon it before.

I ceased worrying over it, and just accepted that is "my style" and left it at that.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited October 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    A CC skin may help if you don’t like the vanilla look, it won’t help to solve the OP’s problem imo. I see a lot of CC covered sims looking alike as well (and a lot of skins I find uglier than vanilla myself, so that’s clearly a matter of preference). Where it comes to creating variety it does come down to pulling sliders. I disagree a vanilla sim will automatically look like plum (which isn’t what the OP is adressing by the way).

I agree with you :)
    I typed my response out very late so probably did not articulate enough. Lol

Also I agree with your thoughts on certain CC skins looking...not so great. Some of the skins make sims have a weird, greasy and shiny look to them :D

I have this same problem too actually as my sims all tend to look the same after a while. In fact I got so bored with having a sameness to my game that I started playing with aliens and other random supernaturals. They definitely have faces only a mother can love :p
    tumblr_ph28mfCMok1xq9hdmo8_540.jpg

So, OP, if you are still reading this just start experimenting with spiders. SLIDERS. I mean sliders. Autocorrect makes me giggle. lol.

Anyway, they truly make all the difference. But I’m just re-stating the obvious so I’ll just bow out of here before I ramble anymore. :P
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Amphora wrote: »
    So, OP, if you are still reading this just start experimenting with spiders. SLIDERS. I mean sliders. Autocorrect makes me giggle. lol.

Spiders! :heart:

But yeah, sliders. It's easy to get stuck with your personal taste and make similar looking sims and to start with the same type of features. One idea is to use the randomizer in CAS and then do small tweaks. Or start with different pre-made shapes than the usual ones and tweak them into something unique.

I sometimes take NPC's into CAS to change their looks.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited October 2018
    Outside of CC skins and getting to know sliders well, there's also customizing your own clothes to make your sims stand out.

Screenshot-62.jpg
    This was one of my naval officer sims: Admiral Toshio "Animal" Nakamura.
    (Note there really isn't a "naval" career unless you download custom careers which you have to have NRAAS Careers mod in order to do.) Some guy did a Navy Career (with Mass Effect References).

I'm still waiting for the Navy Officer Career that is the standard career path starting from Lieutenant Jr. Grade (O-1) all the way to Admiral (O-10) with the appropriate career garments. I don't know all the ins and outs of programming a custom career.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    44987008_183283739262553_9216649970654904320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=b701f64a19c17fd8e58da26d64892db0&oe=5C867D8C
    44932517_183283729262554_4835612633849659392_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=a0e9f2240f25555a345b37fef9de61ef&oe=5C7D1F7C
    If I ever run out of ideas I try to make sims based on my favorite characters.Currently working on one for Halloween.
    edited October 2018
    Amphora wrote: »

I agree with you :)
    I typed my response out very late so probably did not articulate enough. Lol

Also I agree with your thoughts on certain CC skins looking...not so great. Some of the skins make sims have a weird, greasy and shiny look to them :D

I have this same problem too actually as my sims all tend to look the same after a while. In fact I got so bored with having a sameness to my game that I started playing with aliens and other random supernaturals. They definitely have faces only a mother can love :p
    tumblr_ph28mfCMok1xq9hdmo8_540.jpg

Anyway, they truly make all the difference. But I’m just re-stating the obvious so I’ll just bow out of here before I ramble anymore. :P
    I must add I really like there are so many different skins out there (I use kurasoberina’s primer myself now) because it makes all our games look unique, even when we’re all playing the same game. I think a common ‘trap’ is that we all have our preferences where it comes to looks, so we tend to create our sims that way. I did a test once on a Dutch forum, where I asked simmers - we knew each other and each other’s creations/stories very good) - to create two new sims, a male and a female, and send them to me. Then I posted them in random order and people had to guess who had created them. The results were remarkable, most people guessed right and linked the right sims to the right forum members ;) (mind you, it wasn’t multiple choice, just showing the sims and they had to fill in names themselves)

(experimenting with spiders, LOL, glad you corrected that :D )
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    ... I think a common ‘trap’ is that we all have our preferences where it comes to looks, so we tend to create our sims that way....

I agree. There are certain things I don't like about the default settings on the sliders (all set to zero). The proportions on the face are off so I always change those things on all my sims making them all have a similar look which is different from EA's default look.

edited October 2018
    @JoAnne65 It's very true that we all have our own style. Back in the day (on the old forum) when I had lots of simmer friends I could always tell who a sim belonged to just by looking at them.
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    @JoAnne65 That was a great idea! Would it work here? Maybe I could guess one or two right.. @Mikezumi , I think I would recognize your sims intense faces :smile:
    @Auroraskies Mine only look intense because I try to catch a neutral face and sims naturally have either intense or goofy faces and, as cute as the goofy faces are, when I am trying to see if I have the right look, the intense face works best ;)
    Goofy
    45085309682_a3b060890d_o.jpg
    45613178601_e13bff438d_o.jpg
    Intense
    31338248398_385d7a8649_o.jpg
    43795597840_3e47aa4e4b_o.jpg

There is no in-between :D
    @Mikezumi Those were funny expressions! You are right, sims have often more stages than momentum. But their features are very defined, I meant intense in a good way :smile:
    edited October 2018
    @JoAnne65 That was a great idea! Would it work here? Maybe I could guess one or two right.. @Mikezumi , I think I would recognize your sims intense faces :smile:
    Oh some I'd most definitely guess and those who are very active in the 'What happened in your sims 3 game today?' will probably be best at it :blush:

@Mikezumi This look is one of my favourites as well:

silas-portrait2_orig.png

(slightly distracted, in their own world)

9470448_orig.png

2593153_orig.png

Can you tell :mrgreen: ?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    It's called pudding face. Are your sliders the default setting? Try to download cc skins. They do wonders to your sims.
    Oh hamburgers!
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    @Mikezumi LoL i know, right? the worse thing is when i want to PLAY but end up DESIGNING the sim family all night. arrrrrgh!!!

You are not alone.

Oh hamburgers!
    @JoAnne65 Then I'll study the sim-patterns here in the event of such a challenge ever to be announced :wink:
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited October 2018

Yes, pudding sims do look the same, to me they look like this:

16frenchie-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    They look like blank Sims - ready to be edited. :)

0f0c1b90.jpg

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    They look like blank Sims - ready to be edited. :)

I really love this way of looking at it. It's a good thing to remember, I reckon :)

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Mine are all CC free:

Dang...my guys all DO look very similar!! :o

Zane:

43737945974_bdc1a72fe4_c.jpg

Forgot his name:

44173274822_e26703ab1f_c.jpg

Matt:

43504245564_8f1b303445_c.jpg

L:

43398544934_f38761d91b_c.jpg