Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims all look the same!

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 I realize people modify pudding all the time and are fine with it. Lots of people even play with pudding sims and are fine with it. I was speaking for myself and I can't unsee it in my mind's eye.
    I appreciate that of course, that you were speaking for yourself ;) “Pudding can never be unseen!” sounded a bit more factual than that though and like I said I just can’t really follow it, because you can create a completely new sim and get rid of all the pudding, quite easily really. The starting point bothering you is probably purely psycholigical I guess (because I can’t imagine there’s a way of telling whether a sim someone created started off as a default or not). I regret it supports the opinion of Sims 3 slaters creating sims in Sims 3 is a lost case really, because I strongly disagree with that statement (the term ‘pudding’ is often used in general, not just regarding sims with all sliders in the middle). Just pull some sliders and it’s really fine, regardless how your sim looked when you started, objectively I mean.

What @bekkasan says, basically ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    When I refer to pudding I am not referring to EA premades. Pudding sims are game generated default sims that have all sliders set at 0. Each world comes with pizza delivery, mail carriers, etc. that are not pudding. They are homeless but not game generated, probably having been made by the same people who made the residents.
  • Options
    Of course I can't tell what another simmer used as a base for their sims, nor do I care. I can only play my game in my way and 0 slider sims are off the table for me.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    Tweaked her a little more:
    Screenshot-144.jpg
    Formerly a ZERO-slider sim.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

@Mikezumi I do realize that random generated sims are 0 sliders. They are they background sims and I call them EA sims as well as the NPC's and townies, role sims, homeless etc that may or may not be randomized. Easily changed if they bug folks is the point. If it doesn't bug you, don't change them. If it bugs folks they are easily changed and the result is they don't look the same. We can't change the way EA sims are randomized, but we can change their looks if we choose. Well, with Nraas you can change some of them (immigrants I believe) to be generated from your personal bin genetics, but not all. That is the great thing about this game is that we can play our way and change or not change as we choose, especially with mods and sliders. :smiley:
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    What I like starting out with is an Elder Sim. :blush:

I random them and start to make them look interesting and then age the down to an adult... and giggle. :lol:

Down to a teen and edit, up to an adult and laugh.

Down to a child and edit back up to an adult- that's when I start to make them over. It gives me some interesting Sims- not always good.

I like aging them up and down to see how they'll look. :)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2018
    bekkasan wrote: »
    @Mikezumi I do realize that random generated sims are 0 sliders. They are they background sims and I call them EA sims as well as the NPC's and townies, role sims, homeless etc that may or may not be randomized. Easily changed if they bug folks is the point. If it doesn't bug you, don't change them. If it bugs folks they are easily changed and the result is they don't look the same. We can't change the way EA sims are randomized, but we can change their looks if we choose. Well, with Nraas you can change some of them (immigrants I believe) to be generated from your personal bin genetics, but not all. That is the great thing about this game is that we can play our way and change or not change as we choose, especially with mods and sliders. :smiley:
    NRaas StoryProgression and its genetics system can be used to replace members of the homeless household with "immigrants" as per the mod options (SP Population add-on module required). The household bin is one of three possible sources for their genetics and the chance for each of the three being invoked can be changed by the mod's settings. The mod, by option, takes care of Service Sims and NPC Roommates. If homeless Role Sims are part of the same homeless household as per a different option, then those are also included. That covers just about all of them except maybe car pool, school bus, and limo drivers, but we rarely see these sims outside of their vehicles anyway.

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options:Immigration/Emigration (covers sims spawned to be resident immigrants)
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Sims > Options:Immigration/Emigration (covers sims spawned to be homeless, will replace existing ones as well if the option is invoked; this is where the SP Population module is required)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    "Hey, just wanna clarify here! I said the Sims 3 was like playing with Clay, not the Sims 4, because you're using the same base face and simply tweaking certain aspects of the 3D model.[b] In the Sims 4, you're actively swapping out parts of the 3D model.[/b] TS3 is like molding a clay nose onto a face, TS4 is like chopping off the clay if you don't like it in favor of another clay nose that you then mold."

Just chiming in to respond to the above quote from Jayed. :)
    In my opinion, I felt like making sims in 4 was more like molding clay. It's all personal perspective I guess. I also think every in-game screen shot I see from sims 4 makes the sims look identical, face structure wise. It is a fact, though, that you can swap out individual features in sims 3. I do this all the time. There's individual eyes, noses, and mouths to choose, and there is not just one base face to choose from, there are several. Happy Simming ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @JoAnne65 Sorry I went to bed without responding. I was already up a couple hours later than normal because of the heat. I think I remember you saying that English is not your first language so I can see why you took "can't be unseen" as literal. Obviously I didn't mean it in the literal sense but, regardless of whether I did or not, I was only talking about my own opinion and, as such, dissecting what I said and saying "Just pull some sliders and it’s really fine" will not change that.
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • Options
    @Mikezumi Thanks for clarifying, yes, I understand now it’s just your personal perception ;) I don’t like the ‘everything at 0’ sims either I should add, which is why I always make sure the sliders aren’t at 0.

“Because of the heat”, lol, that made me blink for a moment, you must live at the other side of the globe from where I am :grimace: , it’s freezing here.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 It wasn't very hot but the start of the hot weather always throws me for a loop. It takes my body a while to adjust to it and it was a very warm night.
    I find it easier to ignore the 0 slider sims. I already spend enough time in CAS dressing all townie sims on their birthdays which, on a short life span, come thick and fast. I can spend two hours playing a sim day followed by over an hour in CAS redressing sims each simming session.
  • Options
    @Mikezumi You live ‘down under’ I assume then ;) If you have Mastercontroller by the way, you can completely replace sims in your game by self created sims. I love that option!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 I do live down under - born and raised and, apart from 15 years, have always lived here.
    I could "body swap" pudding with my own sims but, since service sims won't ever be added to my main household, it is easier to ignore them. I don't want them wearing my sims' faces for the few moments that my sims have to deal with them.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yes, I can relate to that. To be honest I mainly adjust them when they’ll make it into a picture by the way. If not I sort of learned to ignore them ;) Must say it’s the same for me with NPC’s in Sims 4. I do like a lot of the premades (the ones they created for households), but not the NPC’s for some reason.

(if people did adjust IF’s by the way I’d be interested to see the results)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    annabethc wrote: »
    this is why i don't play sims 3. In sims 3, no matter how many sliders you use, or cc you use, your sims always look the same. In sims 4, with direct manipulation, anything is possible, and there is truly variety.

@annabethc Did you look at all these post and come to that conclusion, then perhaps I can point you to a eye doctor, I do believe that you need your eyes tested.

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    edited November 2018
    Every sim starts out at some point a "zero-slider" sim when first opened in CAS unless you use @igazor's tip on NRAAS SP to draw your newly generated sims from the bin of sims that you've created. It's how we craft the sims into what we eventually use that turns that zero-slider sim into a sim whose stare doesn't look vacuous and blank as if you shine a light into one ear and see that light projected on the wall opposite. Believe me, I've worked with real humans like that, where you wonder if their cranial cortex is actually functioning - it's the main reason I got out of retail (sold cameras for a while too) and went on my own to do photography. I need to get a t-shirt that reads: "Does not play well with others".

Sometimes I like working with zero-slider sims to mold them into the sim that I want in the ultimate end to play with. It makes it easier to mold them to the shape that I ultimately end up with other than trying to correct them from the slider position that they originally were and then have to mold. And, you know me, I don't like ANY extra work in creating my sims that I want to play with - so I don't look down on zero-slider sims, they're the foundation of what I work with in CAS. Then I go in and add in the facial characteristics to truly make them my own.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    It's not necessary to use the household bin on the NRaas SP source of genetics options, that's only one of the three different possible sources for sims' genetics that are applied as they spawn. Some players really like the seed the bin feature, others like me can't stand using it and keep it switched off. Although I've had some funny rapid immigration accidents happen with bin stored households being used too much over the years when I forgot to set things the way I thought I already had.

The other two sources are:
    -- Random Sim Generation. This is EA's way and does tend to lead to zero-slider sims. It can also be switched off, but I keep it at around 10 or 15% because in real life some people are indeed "plain" looking.

-- Existing Sims in the World Get Used (to create temporary parents/genetic donors who are then discarded behind the scenes). If your world is already full of diverse looking sims, this option will give you more and with blending taking place. If it is already full of zero-slider sims, you will get more of those. This is the option I tend to favor.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    What I like starting out with is an Elder Sim. :blush:

I random them and start to make them look interesting and then age the down to an adult... and giggle. :lol:

Down to a teen and edit, up to an adult and laugh.

Down to a child and edit back up to an adult- that's when I start to make them over. It gives me some interesting Sims- not always good.

I like aging them up and down to see how they'll look. :)

@Rflong7 , That sounds like my kind of fun!! :D>:)
  • Options
    hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    annabethc wrote: »
    this is why i don't play sims 3. In sims 3, no matter how many sliders you use, or cc you use, your sims always look the same. In sims 4, with direct manipulation, anything is possible, and there is truly variety.

@annabethc Did you look at all these post and come to that conclusion, then perhaps I can point you to a eye doctor, I do believe that you need your eyes tested.

no, I didn't read the replies.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited November 2018
    Sims sure do all look the same

ehWkgbV.png

:/

Sliders are your friend

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @Mikezumi - I think that chicken could use a makeover. It looks the same in both screenshots to me and suspect that it is zero slider (difficult to tell since not facing the game camera). >:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor Given my love of tweaking, if I could give the chicken a makeover I definitely would ;)
  • Options
    NellionkingiNellionkingi Posts: 28 Member
    I have the same problem, I always make similar looking Sims :D
    I’ll show you the dark side.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    What a cute genie ! <3
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding