Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,243 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

Question Do you guys gets inspired to included or reference songs/books/movies that you listened to/read/watched in your SimLit?

I referenced @CathyTea 's SimLit in my SimLit.
  • Options
    @LegacySims2017 - I don't think it's usual for stuff packs to be pre-orderable. But who knows. lol

I work until 9pm CDT that day. Hopefully it'll be released so I can purchase when i get home :)

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @simscognito No I don't have any snow white characters- they're more Cinderella-like characters (Molly/Carly/America/Selene-espically the last one which has the most Cinderellay plotline with ball and everything.

Question Do you guys gets inspired to included or reference songs/books/movies that you listened to/read/watched in your SimLit?

@MadameLee yes I do! I like to draw on a lot of works and inspiration.
    I like to say Friends of Foes is Alexander the Great vs. West Side Story. :D

Alexander the Great was the King of Macedon (356 BC – 323 BC). You may be familiar with the Library of Alexandria that got burnt down. One of the most tragic events in history :'( , anyway Alexander had that built.

Anyway, he was well-known for being a meglomaniac, with the wish to rule the world. He also had a best friend named Hephaestion, who was a nobleman Alexander's advisor (to some extent), bodyguard, a general in his army, his companion (really depends what records you look at :D ) and some scholars think may have been his lover.

I could go on and on and on about Alexander, but this is a basic outline. He was also an excellent strategist, although lost the plot a bit later in life. Okay, I'll be quiet. :D
  • Options
    Karilan wrote: »

Ooh! Now I can't sleep! This is going to be a very fun chapter! :D ....

Because Junior is a spare, there won't be much details about it. The focus is Jubilee, but Hope and Junior will still make small appearances.

or you could go rotational. that way everyones happy.

Focus needs to be the "challenge". Especially since i am doing a chapter equals a day in their sim life.

This isn't a spoiler so can publicize it without tags.... Jubilee's big happy family aspiration is half done. Next few chapters deal a lot with Angel and Noelle to move along her aspiration even further.

Have you considered doing a mini spinoff to give fans a larger view of the spares lives? Actually that could be a cute thing to do at the very end...The Untold Stories of Simself Spares! Sounds a bit series of unfortunate events though...
    @simscognito No I don't have any snow white characters- they're more Cinderella-like characters (Molly/Carly/America/Selene-espically the last one which has the most Cinderellay plotline with ball and everything.

Music is a huge inspiration to me! Like you, I use song lyrics in some of my chapters of Pine Point because...
    The main character Miranda uses music lyrics as a way to keep herself tied to reality while she is isolated

Otherwise, I've referenced a few songs in other stories' chapters either here on the forums or in the title of the chapter.

@LegacySims2017 OMG A spinoff would be awesome!
    @Karilan I haven't started Pine Point, but it's on my reading list because it sounds like an interesting story when I read the synopsis a couple of months ago. It's awesome that you include lyrics in your chapters, as it's one of my favourite aspects of @MadameLee 's legacy. :blush:
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,767 Member

@MadameLee yes I do! I like to draw on a lot of works and inspiration.
    I like to say Friends of Foes is Alexander the Great vs. West Side Story. :D

Alexander the Great was the King of Macedon (356 BC – 323 BC). You may be familiar with the Library of Alexandria that got burnt down. One of the most tragic events in history :'( , anyway Alexander had that built.

Anyway, he was well-known for being a meglomaniac, with the wish to rule the world. He also had a best friend named Hephaestion, who was a nobleman Alexander's advisor (to some extent), bodyguard, a general in his army, his companion (really depends what records you look at :D ) and some scholars think may have been his lover.

I could go on and on and on about Alexander, but this is a basic outline. He was also an excellent strategist, although lost the plot a bit later in life. Okay, I'll be quiet. :D

@simscognito Here's something you probably didn't know Alexander's dad allowed Ptolemy (of the Egyptian Ptolemy line which Cleopatra VII was the last of ) and other Greek boys to be tutored by the same tutor as Alexander.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,807 Member
    @LegacySims2017 - I don't think it's usual for stuff packs to be pre-orderable. But who knows. lol

I work until 9pm CDT that day. Hopefully it'll be released so I can purchase when i get home :)

Oh, I bet so. I think it's usually released like 1pm or something close. I'm eastern, so I'm CDT, too, I guess. I just looked it up. Never heard it called CDT, though.
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    Have you considered doing a mini spinoff to give fans a larger view of the spares lives? Actually that could be a cute thing to do at the very end...The Untold Stories of Simself Spares! Sounds a bit series of unfortunate events though...

You know I am going to have 9 Gens of spares when this challenge is over ..... that would be crazy to do!!!

I am only on Gen 2, but now I understand how @Jes2G feels with her Pruett Legacy Gens. I'm getting attached to the heir and spares. Can only imagine how am going to feel when Gen 10 approaches.

• Options
    @MadameLee Yes, it's a great point and it will be referenced in Alexander and Henry's backstory - sort of referenced in the family tree, but not about the father aspect! Alexander's tutor was also a famous Greek philosopher, Aristotle. Thanks for bringing it up. It's great to see there are other Alexander buffs. :blush:
  • Options

Oh, I bet so. I think it's usually released like 1pm or something close. I'm eastern, so I'm CDT, too, I guess. I just looked it up. Never heard it called CDT, though.

Central Daylight Time :wink:
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,807 Member

Yeah, I saw. I had to google it. :D I just did it again and found it's not what I thought. I am an hour ahead of you. I think. But we call it CST for Central Standard Time. Is that it is? I'm so curious now. :D
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options

Yeah, I saw. I had to google it. :D I just did it again and found it's not what I thought. I am an hour ahead of you. I think. But we call it CST for Central Standard Time. Is that it is? I'm so curious now. :D

It is the same thing... we switch between the two here.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,767 Member
    @MadameLee Yes, it's a great point and it will be referenced in Alexander and Henry's backstory - sort of referenced in the family tree, but not about the father aspect! Alexander's tutor was also a famous Greek philosopher, Aristotle. Thanks for bringing it up. It's great to see there are other Alexander buffs. :blush:

@simscognito I'm actually a history buff-that's why if you see @CathyTea call me "Magna Carter" that's why.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    @simscognito Excited to hear what you think of it! One of the most fun parts about including lyrics in that story is that I try to do it off memory. Often the lyrics are incorrect, skip lines, or are out of order. Even when they are my favorite songs I surprise myself when I don't know the exact lyrics.

@LegacySims2017 You could always choose 1 spare from each generation and just do a 1 chapter overview of their life, or pick your favorite spares only!

My Grace legacy heirs are community voted like yours, so I completely understand how difficult it is to watch potential heirs stand on the edge of the spotlight. I've gone to great lengths to keep siblings tight with the family in order to shed light on their lives, but I'm contemplating side stories in the future!

Hmm, you know what? I'd love to see more discussion on the lost potential of spare heirs!

How do you deal with spare heirs in legacies?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @simscognito Excited to hear what you think of it! One of the most fun parts about including lyrics in that story is that I try to do it off memory. Often the lyrics are incorrect, skip lines, or are out of order. Even when they are my favorite songs I surprise myself when I don't know the exact lyrics.

@LegacySims2017 You could always choose 1 spare from each generation and just do a 1 chapter overview of their life, or pick your favorite spares only!

My Grace legacy heirs are community voted like yours, so I completely understand how difficult it is to watch potential heirs stand on the edge of the spotlight. I've gone to great lengths to keep siblings tight with the family in order to shed light on their lives, but I'm contemplating side stories in the future!

Hmm, you know what? I'd love to see more discussion on the lost potential of spare heirs!

How do you deal with spare heirs in legacies?

welll alana started a trend. she was just to be aydens sister a spare. but curiosity got the better of me so she sarted a mariage trend instead . so no spares.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Junior is going to continue the "Joseph"
    lineage, so I could do a mini on that. So Joseph Simself Jr. (aka Junior) will have a son, Joseph Simself III and so on.
  • Options

Ooh! Now I can't sleep! This is going to be a very fun chapter! :D ....

Because Junior is a spare, there won't be much details about it. The focus is Jubilee, but Hope and Junior will still make small appearances.

or you could go rotational. that way everyones happy.

Focus needs to be the "challenge". Especially since i am doing a chapter equals a day in their sim life.

This isn't a spoiler so can publicize it without tags.... Jubilee's big happy family aspiration is half done. Next few chapters deal a lot with Angel and Noelle to move along her aspiration even further.

Meant to say her aspiration is almost half done.

chicken. :p:p
  • Options
    I can't wait for the eco-friendly type pack already.....I even made a laundry room in the Simself household....just waiting for the appliances to arrive :grimace:

i just realized ju ju has it much easier than joseph did. he didn't have walls ju ju starts with walls and indoor plumbing,
  • Options

@simscognito I'm actually a history buff-that's why if you see @CathyTea call me "Magna Carter" that's why.

@MadameLee "Magna Carter!" Ahh perfect! :D

Okay so question: Do you have a favourite time period to write in? Or are time periods not important? For me, I have actually set the story in the future, which allows for a lot of 'artistic' license when it comes to drawing upon Alexander the Great and West Side Story. :D

@Karilan :D I get you there with not always knowing the lyrics to favourite songs. I'm actually terrible with lyrics, I only know the words to one or two and that's because I was forced to learn them for shows. :D That's an awesome idea to try and recall them from memory! I might have to bump this story up my reading list, it's becoming even more intriguing. :D

As to answer your question, I was actually doing a legacy before my current simLit. I did rotational game play, because I did not like to leave the family members out, so I gave them families and mini legacies of their own. :D That's why the family trees are so big.
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited January 2018
    It's Wednesday so this is linked to our inspiration theme.

So, I just woke up about 5 minutes ago from this really strange dream. I'm not entirely sure what it means but it could have been influenced by recent stuff. Ghosts from my past type of thing. It's actually a similar situation to a plot line for one of my stories so bonus!! So, while I hated the dream/nightmare, it actually gave me an idea for a story of mine. I won't mention details but it's adding to a plot I've had planned for a while! I hated the dream but inspiration strikes at weird times. :lol:

So, erm Anyone ever have inspiration from their dreams?
  • Options
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

So, I just woke up about 5 minutes from this really strange dream. I'm not entirely sure what it means but it could have been influenced by recent stuff. It actually gave me an idea for a story of mine. I won't mention details but it's adding to a plot i've had planned for a while! I hated the dream but inspiration strikes at weird times.

Oh oh, more stories from @Bugsie2016 ! Yayyy! Aww, I hope it wasn't a scary one. I had a terrible dream the other night, but it didn't give me any inspiration, I just wanted to run and hide instead! :D
    I did, however, once dream of occupying myself with a plate full of chocolate pancakes with extra chocolate filling, while I waited for this other guy, who was sleeping near me, to wake up. That was a good dream and gave me a lot of inspiration to make pancakes in the morning. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2018

So, I just woke up about 5 minutes from this really strange dream. I'm not entirely sure what it means but it could have been influenced by recent stuff. It actually gave me an idea for a story of mine. I won't mention details but it's adding to a plot i've had planned for a while! I hated the dream but inspiration strikes at weird times.

Oh oh, more stories from @Bugsie2016 ! Yayyy! Aww, I hope it wasn't a scary one. I had a terrible dream the other night, but it didn't give me any inspiration, I just wanted to run and hide instead! :D
    I did, however, once dream of occupying myself with a plate full of chocolate pancakes with extra chocolate filling, while I waited for this other guy, who was sleeping near me, to wake up. That was a good dream and gave me a lot of inspiration to make pancakes in the morning. :D

No more stories from me. I'm just taking the idea of a dream and putting it into one of my stories (although that's not a new idea for me, I never thought to do it for this story! :) )
    I wouldn't call it scary. More weird and strange. Made only a really bad dream because it featured a person that I haven't seen in years although it was my own decision not to see them again and the right one for me. :) My dreams have been influenced a lot lately by things happening in the day and the person was brought up yesterday so no big deal. :) As long as my dreams don't contain bad memories of mine then i'm okay with them. :lol:
  • Options
    @Bugsie2016 cool! That's a good idea. *sniff* *sniff* no more stories! Nah, I'm just teasing. :D
    Oh wow, weird and strange dreams, they're actually secretly my favourites, but I understand why they can be not so good either. ;)
  • Options
    Junior is going to continue the "Joseph"
    lineage, so I could do a mini on that. So Joseph Simself Jr. (aka Junior) will have a son, Joseph Simself III and so on.

This is so exciting!
    It'll be Joseph Infinite! The Many Generations of Joseph! Joseph Everlasting!
    I can't wait for the eco-friendly type pack already.....I even made a laundry room in the Simself household....just waiting for the appliances to arrive :grimace:

i just realized ju ju has it much easier than joseph did. he didn't have walls ju ju starts with walls and indoor plumbing,

That is usually the perk of later generations. I prefer to move my heirs out and let each of them overcome that struggle on their own. :)
    Okay so question: Do you have a favourite time period to write in? Or are time periods not important? For me, I have actually set the story in the future, which allows for a lot of 'artistic' license when it comes to drawing upon Alexander the Great and West Side Story. :D

I think I write all of mine in a modern timeline but I'm drawn to reading stories set in older time periods. I feel the need to branch out a bit! I've been itching to do an Amazon challenge...

Sorry to hear about the bad dream @Bugsie2016 but glad you could turn it into something good ! I've been inspired by my dreams in the past. In fact, I'm letting the Amazon challenge I mentioned above just sort of exist and evolve in my dreams until I have time to play and write it!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    For those of us (probably all of us) who have too many ideas and not enough time, the Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge is a fantastic thread for developing your creativity and exploring your untold stories.

I personally love taking part in this each month because it gives me a break from my usual stories and forces my brain to come up with new things. They're wonderful little writing exercises, and you get a terrific sampling of writing from tons of other writers!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    For those of us (probably all of us) who have too many ideas and not enough time, the Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge is a fantastic thread for developing your creativity and exploring your untold stories.

I personally love taking part in this each month because it gives me a break from my usual stories and forces my brain to come up with new things. They're wonderful little writing exercises, and you get a terrific sampling of writing from tons of other writers!

@Karilan I've actually been trying to find time to write a short story since October but I'm always trying to get some binge writing in ! :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top