Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I just can't believe how adorable TS4 cats and dogs and puppies are! Look at this...

puppy1101.png?w=660&zoom=2

And I am really loving how distinctive the personalities and preferences are!

I love them so much. I am really happy they were added. Makes my Sims lives so much happier.
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    I know this might be an old topic but I want to chime in on the game tips mentioning the club system. I love the club system for my legacy. I use it in a few ways, to get some gardening help is a big one (my legacy has a hugeee garden with lots of maxed plants so that money isn't an issue). They have a gardener but the garden is so big that sometimes my founder and the gardener can't complete it in one day.

Eventually i will remove most of them except the big sellers but my founder loves to garden so for now she can keep it. Her kids aren't too much into it so I will save them from having to deal with such a big task when it's their time lol. But for now their clubs and their parents clubs chip in.

My biggest use for them in my legacy is for my heir and 2 spares to do their homework and this is important in a legacy, meet potential spouses. My heir is in a club i which i changed the age rules each time she grew. And i added all her male friends to them. I dont have any romantic rules atm but I just allow them to be friends (as well as her sisters) that way they can choose romance on their own from an established group of childhood friends.

Wooo that was a lot sorry!

Actually, this is a brilliant idea, especially the part about being able to choose their own spouse from a select few they already know well. Of course, there is bound to be one who won't choose any and will go outside the group. :D

Also, is it possible if the kids of your founder don't want anything to do with gardening that you could save the seeds of the garden and put them in a box for a later generation to find and use? I think that would be kind of a cool concept. Like putting them in a box (inventory) or something to be passed on or found later? I've never thought of that but the idea stimulates some inspiration. B)
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I just can't believe how adorable TS4 cats and dogs and puppies are! Look at this...

puppy1101.png?w=660&zoom=2

And I am really loving how distinctive the personalities and preferences are!

I agree. I think it's adorable when they lick each other. I even caught my kitty and puppy doing it.
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    edited January 2018
    I know this might be an old topic but I want to chime in on the game tips mentioning the club system. I love the club system for my legacy. I use it in a few ways, to get some gardening help is a big one (my legacy has a hugeee garden with lots of maxed plants so that money isn't an issue). They have a gardener but the garden is so big that sometimes my founder and the gardener can't complete it in one day.

Eventually i will remove most of them except the big sellers but my founder loves to garden so for now she can keep it. Her kids aren't too much into it so I will save them from having to deal with such a big task when it's their time lol. But for now their clubs and their parents clubs chip in.

My biggest use for them in my legacy is for my heir and 2 spares to do their homework and this is important in a legacy, meet potential spouses. My heir is in a club i which i changed the age rules each time she grew. And i added all her male friends to them. I dont have any romantic rules atm but I just allow them to be friends (as well as her sisters) that way they can choose romance on their own from an established group of childhood friends.

Actually, this is a brilliant idea, especially the part about being able to choose their own spouse from a select few they already know well. Of course, there is bound to be one who won't choose any and will go outside the group. :D

Also, is it possible if the kids of your founder don't want anything to do with gardening that you could save the seeds of the garden and put them in a box for a later generation to find and use? I think that would be kind of a cool concept. Like putting them in a box (inventory) or something to be passed on or found later? I've never thought of that but the idea stimulates some inspiration. B)

You can put the plants in the household inventory in build mode. I do this often. :)

For story purposes you can use that. Or even have the splices from the plants put away for later use if you would like.

This legacy I am not writing about so putting whole plants away doesn't really.need to be explained.
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited January 2018
    Karilan wrote: »
    Makes sense, I think challenge rules are often broken for story purposes.

In the Glassbolt Apocolypse challenge you are not supposed to build outside of an 8x8 square I believe it is? Rule doesn't say anything about a cube. I dug a basement! :D

I definitely broke that rule, I use one lot to film a good 3/4 of my Apocalypse story! :lol: The other 1/4 is on a different lot entirely, so I broke the rule about moving them. It was needed for plot purposes!! I've decided to just say mine is 'based' on the challenge so I can break rules without feeling guilty!! :joy:

Here's an overview of the big OS lot (currently, it changes) that I use! (I told you I broke that rule...)
    qrtj5BEl.png

So, question for those interested:
    How many lots do you use for your story? (Doesn't have to be an exact amount)
  • Options
    edited January 2018

You can put the plants in the household inventory in build mode. I do this often. :)

For story purposes you can use that. Or even have the splices from the plants put away for later use if you would like.

This legacy I am not writing about so putting whole plants away doesn't really.need to be explained.

I didn't know about the splicing either. Good info. :)

For the first time in a long time, I've been playing sims again just to play. I also found last night after trying to save a game that I've not played my bachelorette save file in TWO YEARS. Yeah. Two years. I last posted in Oct '16 but the pictures I took lasted me 6 months since I post between Gerald chapters. Anyway, so last night I tried to come up with a new challenge in-game for the contestants to play to know who to eliminate next.

There are four men left. I tried having two on each side of the large house they live in and race to a dance floor to see who got their first. But they literally run in a formation and no one tries to get in front of the other. Boring. I refuse to accept that. lol

I did try a maze once I found on the gallery, too. However, they did the same thing. They line up and form in a single file line to race through the maze. Boring.

So, no racing. :D

I think I'll have to do cooking next. Best dish or put them all on a counter and have her stand in the middle and choose one. (No cooking skills for any of them.) I've already done who had the painting that sold the most and an endurance test with each on a treadmill.

I'm also thinking about her doing a speed date kind of thing where she has a date with all of them in one day to help each have a chance to get to know her.

What have others done that has worked well for those who have done a bachelorette/bachelor type show?
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

Glad to know I'm not the only one who uses the club system to have Sims meet potential spouses. Personally, I've got 2 "Romance clubs" in my game, one for teens and one for young adults. I've also started using clubs as a way of keeping groups of adult siblings in contact without having to wait for major family events like weddings. Being able to invite all 4 or 5 siblings in a family over at once and have them function as one group is so helpful for keeping their family relationships up.
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

If we're counting strictly residential lots, 28. (Actually, it's soon to be 29-I haven't placed the most recent newlyweds on their lot yet.) If the various community lots are included, it's probably closer to 35-ish. Tranquility Creek is a pretty crowded place.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    Makes sense, I think challenge rules are often broken for story purposes.

In the Glassbolt Apocolypse challenge you are not supposed to build outside of an 8x8 square I believe it is? Rule doesn't say anything about a cube. I dug a basement! :D

I definitely broke that rule, I use one lot to film a good 3/4 of my Apocalypse story! :lol: The other 1/4 is on a different lot entirely, so I broke the rule about moving them. It was needed for plot purposes!! I've decided to just say mine is 'based' on the challenge so I can break rules without feeling guilty!! :joy:

Here's an overview of the big OS lot (currently, it changes) that I use! (I told you I broke that rule...)
    qrtj5BEl.png

How many it takes to do what needs to be done. lol In my S3 story, I've been all over the place, but it's based on the founder's wishes. So, we go where she or he wants to go. ;)

I'm glad you said "based". I think I need to state with my S3 story. I am long-winded at times and try to explain. As if I'm in trouble or something. It's sad but it's my go to thinking. Not sure why. Anyway, if I just say it's "based" on the wishacy rules, then I can feel more lax and free when people bring up issues (which no one has but I always worry someone will catch me). No one cares enough about if we break the rules. We're just telling a story. haha!
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options

Glad to know I'm not the only one who uses the club system to have Sims meet potential spouses. Personally, I've got 2 "Romance clubs" in my game, one for teens and one for young adults. I've also started using clubs as a way of keeping groups of adult siblings in contact without having to wait for major family events like weddings. Being able to invite all 4 or 5 siblings in a family over at once and have them function as one group is so helpful for keeping their family relationships up.

If we're counting strictly residential lots, 28. (Actually, it's soon to be 29-I haven't placed the most recent newlyweds on their lot yet.) If the various community lots are included, it's probably closer to 35-ish. Tranquility Creek is a pretty crowded place.

Wow! A lot of things you can do with the club system. The idea of a sibling group is brilliant, too. :o
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    Xylorta-XVXylorta-XV Posts: 234 Member
    Hi! Sorry for the sudden absence, but, I actually got The Sims 4 to work on my laptop and *immediately* purchased City Living with a new family that I'm starting to fall in love with.
    I honestly might start a legacy with the matriarch. She's fun. (Though my graphics are not *great* for picture-based story-telling, so I'm likely going to be winging it with few pictures.)
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Good morning!

Phoenix and her new friend make plans to hang out with Kaiden to see if he likes her. Enjoy!

http://www.jes2gstories.com/joneses-15-8-one-last-time/
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options

In generation 8, when Owen "destroyed" the garden, I put the flowers in the household inventory. That save is currently on gen 11, and they're still there LOL. I have someone living in the Pruett Estate because in case I want to do something in the future, I still want access to the money and the flowers lol.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    msbeckycatmsbeckycat Posts: 3,445 Member
    I would make up a new challenge but looks like all are invented
  • Options

I never seem to have enough lots lol. I like for my sims (especially in the story-driven story) to have a variety of places to go so it feels more real even though a lot of us probably frequent the same stores/restaurants/etc. all the time lol. I WOULD have enough space for all the lots I want IF I weren't so concerned about the townies having places to live LOL. My stories rarely take place in other sims' homes, so I should really have most of my townies be not in world. But at the same time, I like for my screenshots to look nice, and having a neighborhood full of homes looks clean and uniform. I'll consider designating certain neighborhoods for community lots in the future.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I don't know if people are still answering this question anymore, but I'm going to do so because I like it so much.
    MadameLee wrote: »

Question Do you guys gets inspired to included or reference songs/books/movies that you listened to/read/watched in your SimLit?

Oh yes - my Alien Adoption Challenge is heavily influenced by punk music (which means I've been listening to a lot of different songs, and a lot of those show up in lyrics or even in some of the storylines). One of the chapters I wrote was also heavily inspired by a short story called "Concerning the Bodyguard." And in fact, I was inspired to start writing the story after rewatching one of my favorite TV shows (though that's a secret, for now), and Wendy was named after Wendy O Williams (and also Wendy O Koopa from Mario, which is how I first learned about Wendy O Williams)

As for my legacy challenge, there have been a couple of references to songs and books, a lot of time in the chapter titles. One of the early chapters was inspired by fairy tales, and I know there are some references to Terry Pratchett coming up (and there might have already been some?). And then also musicals - my 3rd generation (which I'm in the middle of writing right now) is heavily influenced by a few different musiclas. I'm not a huge fan of Seinfeld, but I think there are some chapters that have been inspired by things on that show. And then Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin. I also tend to name the children after something relating to the heir's aspiration, and since Snapdragon's aspiration is master mixologist, his children are all named after alcoholic drinks. There's definitely some Yoko Ono references thrown in (because duh) and there are definitely a few references to House on Mango Street (which I read with my students while writing some early rounds). Also AbFab and Strangers with Candy.

So yes - I definitely take a lot of different ideas and throw them into my stories - some are a lot more obvious than others, and sometimes they're as simple as me making a forgery of the style. I don't know if it makes me a better writer or a worse writer or it doesn't matter, but sometimes it makes the writing more fun (or at least figuring out a name for chapters way more fun).

@superkyle221 you're making me want to read your legacy challenge.

I lost count-really 3 castles (residential)-and one castle coming soon, over 20 houses-residential, several restaurants, a couple of schools-but I have to make it residential to fit all the folks in there. A whole lot more
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I don't know if people are still answering this question anymore, but I'm going to do so because I like it so much.

Question Do you guys gets inspired to included or reference songs/books/movies that you listened to/read/watched in your SimLit?

Oh yes - my Alien Adoption Challenge is heavily influenced by punk music (which means I've been listening to a lot of different songs, and a lot of those show up in lyrics or even in some of the storylines). One of the chapters I wrote was also heavily inspired by a short story called "Concerning the Bodyguard." And in fact, I was inspired to start writing the story after rewatching one of my favorite TV shows (though that's a secret, for now), and Wendy was named after Wendy O Williams (and also Wendy O Koopa from Mario, which is how I first learned about Wendy O Williams)

As for my legacy challenge, there have been a couple of references to songs and books, a lot of time in the chapter titles. One of the early chapters was inspired by fairy tales, and I know there are some references to Terry Pratchett coming up (and there might have already been some?). And then also musicals - my 3rd generation (which I'm in the middle of writing right now) is heavily influenced by a few different musiclas. I'm not a huge fan of Seinfeld, but I think there are some chapters that have been inspired by things on that show. And then Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin. I also tend to name the children after something relating to the heir's aspiration, and since Snapdragon's aspiration is master mixologist, his children are all named after alcoholic drinks. There's definitely some Yoko Ono references thrown in (because duh) and there are definitely a few references to House on Mango Street (which I read with my students while writing some early rounds). Also AbFab and Strangers with Candy.

So yes - I definitely take a lot of different ideas and throw them into my stories - some are a lot more obvious than others, and sometimes they're as simple as me making a forgery of the style. I don't know if it makes me a better writer or a worse writer or it doesn't matter, but sometimes it makes the writing more fun (or at least figuring out a name for chapters way more fun).

Now's always a great time to start! :wink: - the chapters are fairly short, so It's fairly easy to get caught up, I think.

And speaking of, here's the next chapter. Reference in the title to a James Bond movie/song (which I listened to a lot while writing this chapter) - I think it's somewhat fitting, no?

I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    or yorkshire tea. you never answered me,

I know, I'm so evil @friendsfan367 ! What if I told you that Yorkshire tea doesn't come from Yorkshire? :D

that much i figured out.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

I adore Tales of the City! I've been thinking it would be fun to use that narrative structure for a neighborhood rotation story!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @superkyle221 I just binge-read Gen 1
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

This is such a great tip! I've seen others use it , and I used it a bit to get Max Villarreal to do his homework in an ISBI-ish game, but you've inspired me to use it in the dogacy ! Poor Lucas is really struggling to keep up with six dogs! Wish we could have a dog-walking club !

And it's lovely to see you here today ! <3
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    BubblebruiseBubblebruise Posts: 25 Member
    I've done an update to my Blog today (h.t.t.p.s://bubblebruise.com/) and wanted to take the opportunity to ask a couple of questions. The main one is what's some good ways of self-promoting? This has never really been my strong point and I'm a bit lost as to where to start. Also, I wanted to ask whether anyone here has successfully made any money in relation to their blogs, is it something you can legitimately ask for donations towards or do you have to be a certain quality/have a certain amount of traffic to do this? The reason I ask is that while my blog is done out of my faith and forms the reason why I'm doing it, it'd be great if it were to receive a little amount of money. I've realised that it actually takes up a huge amount of my time doing it and if it were ever possible, I'd be able to use any income towards my own costs or charity-giving. What are your thoughts on these matters?
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member

Awesome, let me know what you think!
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options

Awesome, let me know what you think!

Great-as was the as the (so far) 2.41 chapters I just read.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Why would Elizabeth before divorces Wyatt turn to drink? why does Juliet turn to drink?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    @BBQPenguinWings My current heir runs a farm, which ended up being a lot more work than I expected, and having a gardening club has been incredible. I do have to harvest everything before starting a club gathering, though. Have you found any other work around to stop the club from stealing all your veggies?

@Bugsie2016 Glad I'm not the only one who made a bigger house haha!

My legacies often only use 1 lot, and I occasionally visit other lots.
    Pine Point now uses...I don't remember, I think 8 different lots? I ran out of large lots so I'm making use of entire neighborhoods now haha!

I highly recommend reading the legacy! It has some interesting and thought provoking themes!

D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top