Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    For those of us (probably all of us) who have too many ideas and not enough time, the Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge is a fantastic thread for developing your creativity and exploring your untold stories.

I personally love taking part in this each month because it gives me a break from my usual stories and forces my brain to come up with new things. They're wonderful little writing exercises, and you get a terrific sampling of writing from tons of other writers!
    @karilian yes, I really want to do an amazon challenge too. Maybe I will sometime down the road. XD But I'm really enjoying reading some of the amazon challenges. :blush:
    I've actually bookmarked that thread. I unfortunately don't have time to write a short story for it at the moment, but I love reading other people's. I do agree, though, there have been some very creative short stories from that thread, some of which have given me inspiration and ideas for possible stories in the future. :blush:
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    For those of us (probably all of us) who have too many ideas and not enough time, the Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge is a fantastic thread for developing your creativity and exploring your untold stories.

I personally love taking part in this each month because it gives me a break from my usual stories and forces my brain to come up with new things. They're wonderful little writing exercises, and you get a terrific sampling of writing from tons of other writers!
    @karilian yes, I really want to do an amazon challenge too. Maybe I will sometime down the road. XD But I'm really enjoying reading some of the amazon challenges. :blush:
    I've actually bookmarked that thread. I unfortunately don't have time to write a short story for it at the moment, but I love reading other people's. I do agree, though, there have been some very creative short stories from that thread, some of which have given me inspiration and ideas for possible stories in the future. :blush:

I would write an amazon challenge but i'm terrible at challenges so all of my stories are based off of challenges (with the exception being that random one I came up with to feature BB ). I also tried planning an amazon challenge but it turned into a different type of tribe. I enjoy it though as @simscognito knows well enough !!
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    This is so exciting!
    It'll be Joseph Infinite! The Many Generations of Joseph! Joseph Everlasting!
    Totally different concept and meaning... but just like there is a Malcolm X ... The final Generation for that lineage will be Joseph X :lol:
    I can't wait for the eco-friendly type pack already.....I even made a laundry room in the Simself household....just waiting for the appliances to arrive :grimace:

i just realized ju ju has it much easier than joseph did. he didn't have walls ju ju starts with walls and indoor plumbing,

That is usually the perk of later generations. I prefer to move my heirs out and let each of them overcome that struggle on their own. :)

I've got secret plans ahead....muahahahaha!!!!!

Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Laundry Day Stuff pack comes out in 6 days. Woot! Here's the trailer.

I'll get it but I get them all. <3 It's what I do. :D What about you?

https://youtu.be/j8yTBEBpZts

I've never been so happy in my life to do laundry. :D The Sims makes everything more fun! I'm excited about wash tubs too, however washing by hand really isn't much fun in reality. Lol. I might have to get this stuff pack. I'm debating about how to spend my Christmas origin points. :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Laundry Day Stuff pack comes out in 6 days. Woot! Here's the trailer.

I'll get it but I get them all. <3 It's what I do. :D What about you?

https://youtu.be/j8yTBEBpZts

I've never been so happy in my life to do laundry. :D The Sims makes everything more fun! I'm excited about wash tubs too, however washing by hand really isn't much fun in reality. Lol. I might have to get this stuff pack. I'm debating about how to spend my Christmas origin points. :)

orgin points? just because you and cathtea share one nickname doesn't mean you get to confuse me. lol.

i call her sis or sissy but wwhatever the other is you share it,
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    *opps double post*

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited January 2018

How do you deal with spare heirs in legacies?

I just attempt to get them engaged and throw a ceremony for them-and then move them out into either a)the husband's home or b)get the couple a house. I only had one exception when I needed to have room for someone and there were too many sims.

MadameLee wrote: »
    @MadameLee Yes, it's a great point and it will be referenced in Alexander and Henry's backstory - sort of referenced in the family tree, but not about the father aspect! Alexander's tutor was also a famous Greek philosopher, Aristotle. Thanks for bringing it up. It's great to see there are other Alexander buffs. :blush:

@simscognito I'm actually a history buff-that's why if you see @CathyTea call me "Magna Carter" that's why.

Okay so question: Do you have a favourite time period to write in? Or are time periods not important?.
    time periods aren't really important.

Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    It's Wednesday so this is linked to our inspiration theme.

So, I just woke up about 5 minutes ago from this really strange dream. I'm not entirely sure what it means but it could have been influenced by recent stuff. Ghosts from my past type of thing. It's actually a similar situation to a plot line for one of my stories so bonus!! So, while I hated the dream/nightmare, it actually gave me an idea for a story of mine. I won't mention details but it's adding to a plot I've had planned for a while! I hated the dream but inspiration strikes at weird times. :lol:

So, erm Anyone ever have inspiration from their dreams?

Let's just say my sims' kidnappings comes from my dreams because back when I was in college-I would routinely have "kidnapping" dreams if they didn't come from my childhood play
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Question Do you guys gets inspired to included or reference songs/books/movies that you listened to/read/watched in your SimLit?

Absolutely. I add songs and YouTube links sometimes to my posts and sometimes I add lyrics to the posts too. Sometimes I use it in the text and sometimes just in the author's notes. Sometimes I give a "Simlish" type name to the song or the artist. :) When I wrote the "Home for the Holidays" section in From Riverview, With Love, all the chapters were named after various Christmas songs.

@Karilan They get a spin-off because I can't leave them alone. :p Hence Generation 1.5 of Colt Family Traitacy because I wasn't ready to move on.
    Okay so question: Do you have a favourite time period to write in? Or are time periods not important? For me, I have actually set the story in the future, which allows for a lot of 'artistic' license when it comes to drawing upon Alexander the Great and West Side Story. :D

That sounds fantastic!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options

@Karilan They get a spin-off because I can't leave them alone. :p Hence Generation 1.5 of Colt Family Traitacy because I wasn't ready to move on.

does that mean kass sisters get their own story?

just asking cause your here.
  • Options

@AdamsEve1231 Yess! I love that response! It just feels weird to me ignoring the spare heirs because it doesn't reflect real life in my opinion (as everyone has a story), not that everything has to reflect real life, though. :D
  • Options
    time to play. my dr. moved my appointment from 2:30 to 12 tomorrow.
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    This is so exciting!
    It'll be Joseph Infinite! The Many Generations of Joseph! Joseph Everlasting!
    Totally different concept and meaning... but just like there is a Malcolm X ... The final Generation for that lineage will be Joseph X :lol:
    I can't wait for the eco-friendly type pack already.....I even made a laundry room in the Simself household....just waiting for the appliances to arrive :grimace:

i just realized ju ju has it much easier than joseph did. he didn't have walls ju ju starts with walls and indoor plumbing,

That is usually the perk of later generations. I prefer to move my heirs out and let each of them overcome that struggle on their own. :)
    I've got secret plans ahead....muahahahaha!!!!!

Uh oh :s
    Please no fire, flood, or freak llama accident that destroys their home...
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    orgin points? just because you and cathtea share one nickname doesn't mean you get to confuse me. lol.

i call her sis or sissy but wwhatever the other is you share it,

@friendsfan367 Sorry had to wait for the spam limit to turn off because apparently I posted too many times back to back. *sigh*

Origin points - I purchased TS4 through Origin and I have game points I can use like a gift card on the site to purchase stuff packs and expansions.

does that mean kass sisters get their own story?

just asking cause your here.

Hahah... good idea. I should do a spin-off with Cari and Andi, though I plan to write Kass's story for a long long time. It's not a typical legacy story. It's a long series. I will include more chapters from Carina's and Andi's perspectives in the future. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited January 2018
    Answering Questions 'cause i never remember to !
    So, question: Do you have a favourite character in your story or someone else's?

For me, it depends.
    In @MrsRacooney 's amazon story it's Protego the slave ! It has been for a while, probably since I fully caught up. He's very unique in a way. Although, Haimon is not too bad either. :lol:

In Foe (Friends of Foes by @simscognito , it's Henry because he just seems slightly out of depth in the whole 'organisation'. He's the only one in his family who doesn't go with the biased about the other organisations. I'm growing slightly fond of Alex though. Shh..don't tell Cog !

For my own story, it changes. Right now it's Claude but it's because of his current character growth. :)
    Questions Part 1
    Question Do you guys gets inspired to included or reference songs/books/movies that you listened to/read/watched in your SimLit?

Only stories I actually reference are simlit stories. I've included lyrics to songs for maybe 2 chapters (but they were wordless chapters, and one is still currently my favourite even 3 months later! )

Mine are quite involved in my story. Despite Claude having 4 siblings they get their stories told in small sections of the chapters. My main spare would have to be Vince but only because he's Claude's twin brother so they're at the same stage of life and it's something to contrast Claude's life to right now.
    Questions Part 2
    Okay so question: Do you have a favourite time period to write in? Or are time periods not important?

Only one of my stories is set in a specific time period. Which is my newest one but even that one is super vague on when exactly it is because then I can get creative.

Actually that's another story I could use those washtubs in!
    Anyone ever have inspiration from their dreams?

Well, I have just now so not much else to say on this one...
  • Options
    @Bugsie2016 aww thanks!
    cog didn't see anything! :D

As for your response to part 2, Yes, I really like the way you drop into the various other family members. It makes the whole story feel well rounded, as if Claude is part of a bigger story.
  • Options
    I need some reasons for why Elizabeth is the favourite child of the 2 twins sisters? Is it because Cora is naturally mischief person?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    edited January 2018

Okay so question: Do you have a favourite time period to write in? Or are time periods not important? For me, I have actually set the story in the future, which allows for a lot of 'artistic' license when it comes to drawing upon Alexander the Great and West Side Story. :D

@simscognito For sims I prefer modern just because it's easier. I always set it in a fictional world though so I have all the artistic license I could want. For my own writing outside of sims I prefer medieval fantasy or futuristic sci fi.
  • Options
    I need some reasons for why Elizabeth is the favourite child of the 2 twins sisters? Is it because Cora is naturally mischief person?

@MadameLee I would say if Cora is more of a difficult child and Elizabeth is more obedient, that could make sense why she is the favourite. Also, if Elizabeth has more in common with her parents, that might also help to make her the favourite child.
  • Options

@simscognito For sims I prefer modern just because it's easier. I always set it in a fictional world though so I have all the artistic license I could want. For my own writing outside of sims I prefer medieval fantasy or futuristic sci fi.

@AuroraLockwood Ahh I love sci fi. It's also the setting I work in for outside of simLit, although it kind of dances between fantasy and sci fi. Oh I love medieval fantasy too, although I don't write it - not sure why because I love reading it. :D Yes, I've noticed that with your stories, having it in a completely fictional world, but at the same time, it's like ours, apart from the supernatural elements, such as in The Family Black. :D What's nice about it is that we are completely unaware that it is a fictional world, because everything in it we can relate to and yet it is a different world because there are elements, such as place names, and pop culture references, that are not and what's really awesome is that I find myself not even batting an eyelid. :D
  • Options

@MadameLee I would say if Cora is more of a difficult child and Elizabeth is more obedient, that could make sense why she is the favourite. Also, if Elizabeth has more in common with her parents, that might also help to make her the favourite child.

David was a prince (the Goths, the Landgraabs, and the Bjersgens aka the Bjerks are in my head royalty in my story universe) but he gave up the claim to marry into the Swanson dynasty. America, is the 3rd Cinderella (but only one of Gen 3) so Elizabeth doesn't really have a lot in common with her parents-America is a bookworm, good, and a foodie. Elizabeth likes the outdoors-ie catching frogs or playing tag. David all I remember is as an adult he got the paranoid trait. Maybe it's in my head is a hidden trait of America's is "Loves the Outdoors"? Elizabeth&Cora are twin.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    I wouldn't do that to my beautiful Newcrest....or my Simself family.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
  • Options
    I just realised I need to mention my Murdoch cameos in my Swanson story in Gen 2-since Julia's and William's descendant plays a role in the story.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

@Karilan
    Also....this is in the "rules" of the Build Newcrest Challenge that I am breaking to a point, but some Generations will follow through on it.
    "For every generation you will need move to a new lot."
    I don't want to tell you which one(s) will be following that rule to keep it more of a surprise for you. Those are my secret plans. :lol:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
  • Options
    @LegacySims2017 I'm trying to like your latest chapter, but for some reason my computer's not allowing me! :'( It's probably the connection again. In the meantime, pretend Cog's liked your latest post! So annoying when this happens! :D
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

@Karilan
    Also....this is in the "rules" of the Build Newcrest Challenge that I am breaking to a point, but some Generations will follow through on it.
    "For every generation you will need move to a new lot."
    I don't want to tell you which one(s) will be following that rule to keep it more of a surprise for you. Those are my secret plans. :lol:

Makes sense, I think challenge rules are often broken for story purposes.

In the Glassbolt Apocolypse challenge you are not supposed to build outside of an 8x8 square I believe it is? Rule doesn't say anything about a cube. I dug a basement! :D

Medieval fantasy or future sci fi is ironically the theme of most books/movies/tv/games I enjoy. The simlit I read is much different, but it's understandable why modern day drama is the most common thing in simlit, as it's the main setting of the sims. I was never very interested in slice-of-life kind of stories until I found simlit, now I love it!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top