Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No LGR review copy this time

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, I value LGR"s input. No matter what he says, though, I'm still happy overall with the EP, and a difference of opinion won't take anything away from that. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    AmySims09 wrote: »
    The EP is amazing, no idea what you're talking about.

How do you know how old the pet is?
    How do you know what skills they have?
    We can't even click on them to see the basic stats that we could in TS2. It's like having another "sim baby" on the lot. On top of that training is actually very easy and so is befriending strays, as there's no actual work that said animals can take, there's no challenge in playing with them, outside of being quite tedious.

May I ask: What exactly do you have in mind when you talk about "challenge" anyway? Having to spam 1000 times friendly interactions (basically grinding) in order to artificially make it more tedious to befriend an animal has nothing to do with providing a challenge really.

The only aspect of the franchise which was considered challenging was its time management-part in the past --> In TS1 and TS2 it was rather stressful to Keep everything in Balance during the day. With TS3, however, the Franchise took a different direction eventually (game became "easier" --> Players have more freedom to "Plan" their day-to-day activities --> management of needs is less restricting for gameplay etc).

Besides: There are enough indications in the game already (not so much in RL, though) to tell how "skilled" your pet actually is.

---

On Topic: It's unfortunate that LGR has not received a copy but, to be honest, it is better for everyone involved this way. While LGR, having to buy his own copy, stays 100% Independent many of those smaller youtubers got a Chance to cover the game.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    @Horrorgirl6 Thats fine. But that doesnt mean his opinion is more meaningful than the next person.

The facegroup im in has a ton of sims 4 fans in it and everyone is HAPPY :) Those that have a copy , that is. To me that says more than some guy on you tube <3
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    @Horrorgirl6 Thats fine. But that doesnt mean his opinion is more meaningful than the next person.

The facegroup im in has a ton of sims 4 fans in it and everyone is HAPPY :) Those that have a copy , that is. To me that says more than some guy on you tube <3

Oh I didn't mean your opinion was lesser. I was just stating minds. I get its best to have random fans.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Then you're free to watch Deligracy while those who want a critical review can watch his. The goal is not to force any of us to watch a specific Youtuber, and there's enough people on the market to satisfy all tastes.

....Except now they just kinda left out the last bastion of critical reviews within the community, and this should make people ask why they chose to do that.

It is possible that this iteration of pets do not even have needs:
    mirta000 wrote: »
    How can a cat not sleep for 3 days and not pass out and not eat for 2 days and not get any hunger warnings if they have needs? The intended functionality might be that they perform an animation ever so often without actually having the "need" (let's say that in code, a sims need is measured from 0 to 100, 0 being empty, 100 being full. I think that cats and dogs might not even have this measurement), however as they're currently not performing these animations on their own in some games, this becomes more apparent.
  • Options
    TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member
    edited November 2017
    This was kind of shocking to me as well. Maybe it’s because this time around SimGuruDrake asked Simmers to get in contact with her for early access to the pack instead of her reaching out to Simmers.
    Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

Dataminers will be able to find that out with enough time. I personally doubt it because a 0-100 system isn't exactly complicated to begin with, plus they must know people would find out and question the why of it. It's not a lot of work to do, and if they DON'T do it then it looks weird and has people questioning why.

Pets have no UI. No way to see what age they are, how long until they age up, their relationship values, their skills or their needs. Their needs are either broken on 100% full, or they do not exist. I will be very interested in what dataminers find :D
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    edited November 2017
    Cynna wrote: »
    RubeeSims wrote: »

Literally EVERYTHING he says is negative.

That statement is literally untrue.

Literally.

Maybe some can't seem to separate cynicism from "negative." If LGR's personality or delivery isn't for them, no problem. But I see one of the issues is because he's not providing "happy" or isn't gentle about his critique.

In the end I'd like to believe people are making up their own minds about a product regardless of any review from any person. But that doesn't mean we can't appreciate their delivery (I also never understood the mentality of, "you watch reviews, therefor you don't think for yourself" reasoning).

Either way I've seen him be fair and address things that I personally find important when looking at a game, while some of the other reviews haven't. And I get people value different things about a game, but I don't find calling LGR "negative" because he's cynical and brings up things that are valuable to other players, helpful.

JMO though.
  • Options
    SunsetSimsPrimeSunsetSimsPrime Posts: 77 Member
    I like LGR because he covers everything you need to know and keeps it and to the point. I don't agree with everything he said and I don't like everything he does either. A good example is Sims 3 Pets expansion pack. He didn't like it, I can't play S3 without it. With Sims 4 I do tend to agree with him a lot.

Gaming is expensive in my country I want to be warned about bugs, short falls and other issues. I also don't want to sit through 40 mins of a person gushing over something it tells you a lot of nothing. I also don't think he is so critical that he ends up being on the other end of the scale of hating something so much that he also tells you nothing. I also like to believe that what ever he or any other reviewer says I'm capable of watching a video and still come to my own conclusions.

I really hope that somebody did just click a randomize button for the codes and LGR was just left off. I don't hold EA in very high esteem at the moment so I'm more inclined to believe that they see us as sheep that needs to be told what is good by their Youtube sale team and will dash out to buy this over priced game the minute the video is finished.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    This was kind of shocking to me as well. Maybe it’s because this time around SimGuruDrake asked Simmers to get in contact with her for early access to the pack instead of her reaching out to Simmers.

I doubt that made a difference. She said the list for early access codes for this EP was decided three months ago. A few people who reached out to her got it but not many.

I’m interested in seeing LGRs review, as I said on another thread I want to see a little bit of objectivity rather than “OMG have you saw these stickers?l and “Sqqqqqwuuuuuuueeeellll look at this new hair!”

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    And its like the only truthful review HAS to be a negative one :D Im not watching his because I don't watch youtube reviews anyway. But the simmers I LIKE , LOVE this pack along with me <3

A truthful review is balanced, because a product is seldom ever perfect.

If you're going to point out all of the good, balance means also pointing out the bad -- which there always is in any Sims game, from the original until now. They all have their drawbacks. An honest and well-rounded review tells the whole story.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member
    I’ve noticed that those who received early access have the “EA Game Changer” disclaimer in the beginning of their videos. Maybe LGR didn’t want to be a part of this, because it would make people think his reviews are in the favor of EA?
    Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    Yardenro wrote: »
    I wonder why they didn't give him an early access for this pack. I mean, IF they watch his youtube channel, they can see that he loves EVERYTHING that is real-life based (aka not aliens, vampires and such) so I mean, if I were EA/maxis, I would absolutely give him a copy because there's like a 99% chance he'd like it a lot and he has a lot of followers...

...but he doesn't like pets as much as supernaturals. I think his play style is very kuch focused on sims and sims alone which is why he probably would be much more in favour of expansions like seasons, generations or university which are more focused on just day to day life
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2017
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    It’s already been stated that they rotate between who gets review versions because they have limited codes. There have been times where he hasn’t gotten one, and this time is one. Not to mention the fact that he doesn’t really play The Sims much anymore. Most of it is for reviews, and after a while it did start to get annoying to hear his lack of interest in his voice.

He has said in the past he could get all the free code he wanted if he would adhere to EA's contract and do as they say. He didn't want to be EA's puppet so he declined. (Watch his video about that.)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Oh, well, then Youtubers paid by EA, squealing and saying omg, I love this or that, doesn't matter, either.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    This is... interesting. I'm wondering what he'll say when his review is up. I'm looking forward to it, even though I've already bought the pack.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Oh, well, then Youtubers paid by EA, squealing and saying omg, I love this or that, doesn't matter, either.

To be honest I don't really care for anyone's opinion and I just can't understand why someone would make a buy / no buy decision based on some influencer's opinion. I know youtubers like Deligracy will always praise the game no matter what so their opinion is irrelevant to me. The same way I know LGR is usually overly critical with the game and hates features that I personally like so I'm not going to make up my mind based on his videos either.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top