Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No LGR review copy this time

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    The entire pack was viewable ahead of time....there have been the official blog posts and livestreams, but there have also been plenty of video from numerous YouTubers showing all the Build/Buy stuff, the different types of breeds, etc. as well as all the CAP stuff and the gamplay. With minimal efforts, someone could have seen everything about this pack ahead of time. So why do I need a review to tell me what my opinion of this EP should be? I can formulate my own opinions. In the old days maybe reviews were more important, but now we're exposed to everything about these packs before they are released. I don't need a reviewer to tell me whether I should buy it or not.

Definitely a fair point, and I do appreciate the greater lengths of communication EA has given us with the past few packs. Certainly miles better than before TS4 was released, when, for instance, we didn’t know it was a closed world until only months prior.

With that said though, reviews are still useful. Having a player like you actually delve into the pack’s gameplay and content and provide a recommendation/judgement is still very valuable to many. LGR’s review videos pull in hundreds of thousands, as do other reviewers (although I believe he’s been the largest or near the top!). So the demand is still very much there.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited November 2017
    He was overlooked in the past for all of those past years. I don't think it bothered him any. But his fans stood by him. I am sure some even gifted him because they wanted to see his review. That wouldn't surprise me at all. I have a extra copy. I would have given it to him.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    If you are disappointed that LGR didn't get a review copy, I can totally understand it. But... I would think it's going to mean more to Maxis to hear a bunch of people (possibly in a poll, which you can do now in the feedback section) expressing that they look forward to an LGR review and are disappointed at the delay, than a few people arguing over whether it was a strategic move to silence criticism.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    If you are disappointed that LGR didn't get a review copy, I can totally understand it. But... I would think it's going to mean more to Maxis to hear a bunch of people (possibly in a poll, which you can do now in the feedback section) expressing that they look forward to an LGR review and are disappointed at the delay, than a few people arguing over whether it was a strategic move to silence criticism.

I totally agree with this. It would really show just how much simmers value our sim reviewers, LGR especially.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    The entire pack was viewable ahead of time....there have been the official blog posts and livestreams, but there have also been plenty of video from numerous YouTubers showing all the Build/Buy stuff, the different types of breeds, etc. as well as all the CAP stuff and the gamplay. With minimal efforts, someone could have seen everything about this pack ahead of time. So why do I need a review to tell me what my opinion of this EP should be? I can formulate my own opinions. In the old days maybe reviews were more important, but now we're exposed to everything about these packs before they are released. I don't need a reviewer to tell me whether I should buy it or not.

Perhaps, because a reviewer like LGR has the most salient points all in one place in bite-sized pieces? Not everyone has time (or impetus) to scour the internet.

Reviews have been a thing since before and of us has been born and technology isn't going to change that. I believe that people will always enjoy seeing what someone they trusts thinks about a product, whether they have that product themselves or not. It's human nature.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    I never watch reviews mostly because I only trust my own judgement on whether or not something is worth it. And C&D is definitely worth it to me, if only for the build/buy items that are gorgeous.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Good.
  • Options
    Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    Can I just say that even though I think sometimes LGR can be a little too negative that it's totally fine. It's his opinion and at the end of the day we all have our own. Even saying that, I think we should all have a bit of an open mind. I feel like a lot of people just think all other reviewers fake their response even if they show that they dislike specific things about a pack. We shouldn't focus on if a Youtuber is overly happy about a pack or overly disappointed. Most of the time we can form our own opinions due to how much exposer livestreams, videos, and etc gives. LGR is funny and as I said even though I don't agree with a lot of what he says, it's his opinion and I respect that he tells his own truth. What I dislike is the amount of people who steadily await his videos just so they can hear how much he hates a certain pack. We shouldn't take reviewers opinions as law but as a helpful guide!
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

There's this really neat thing that people can do that pets can't called talking. We can communicate. I could tell you how old I am right now, my interests, my flaws etc. I could tell you my hobbies and things I'm good at.

It's a matter of preference, and I prefer it this way because I like to guess and slowly learn about my pet. It's no fun to see everything. We didn't have half this stuff with moodlets etc in Sims 2 and we did just fine.

I always knew my pet's exact job, needs, skills and age in The Sims 2. We even had a cheat to control them if we so wanted to.

And let's do this fun thing, let's remove the UI off every sim. We can talk after all.

The Sims don't have a unique enough personality to do that. The traits were done REALLY well for pets. Most of the traits besides toddler and the newer ones are pretty lacking.

You can tell a pets traits without looking, Sims not so much.

Instead of removing things, just improve the traits for sims.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    The Sims don't have a unique enough personality to do that. The traits were done REALLY well for pets. Most of the traits besides toddler and the newer ones are pretty lacking.

Oh, but you like it this way more you said and people can talk! So why should we know when our sim will age up, where they work, what relationships they have or their needs? Let's remove it all!
  • Options

Oh, but you like it this way more you said and people can talk! So why should we know when our sim will age up, where they work, what relationships they have or their needs? Let's remove it all!

Because they are animals... The game is called the SIMS. You are supposed to be playing the sims. It's super realistic to have to guess what your animals need. I can't just magically know what's wrong with my pet. I have to look for body language and other clues. Same with babies and to an extent toddlers. I actually really like not being able to see the babies needs either because it's realistic. Babies being stuck to a crib is a whole other subject though.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @mirta000 For more detail. (this is sims 4 not irl) my dog kept whining and crying. I had no idea what was wrong with him. I kept feeding him, petting him etc and I could just not figure out why he was upset. Then it hit me. I saw him looking at the fireplace and shaking. He's afraid of fire. Sure enough I turned off the fireplace and he went back to running around happy.

There is story telling purpose. How boring would it be if I looked at his UI and saw "Afraid of fire" YAWN.

Instead of seeing a meter that said his bladder was low, he stood by the back door and started barking, waking up my sim. She then got up and let him out to go pee. When he was hungry he stood by his bowl in the kitchen and started whining.

MY female dog wasn't fixed, so she went by the doors and constantly was howling over and over again with woohoo hearts swirling around her. I loved it, so realistic! So instead of telling me she was in heat with a moodlet etc, it showed it. Took her to the vet and she stopped.

MY cat wouldn't shut up and it turns out she had a trait where she liked to go outside a lot. IT was more fun NOT seeing the trait because I got to learn and adapt to her situation.

I'm almost positive I've seen you make threads before asking for less tell and more show, and if you haven't I sure as heck have seen multiple people.

These pets show and not tell, and that's what I love about them. I never really played with pets in sims 2 or 3, being completely honest. I REALLY love the pets in sims 4. The lack of pet beds and dog houses bother me, yes. But I think they 100% nailed the pets AI.
  • Options
    Because they are animals... The game is called the SIMS. You are supposed to be playing the sims. It's super realistic to have to guess what your animals need. I can't just magically know what's wrong with my pet. I have to look for body language and other clues. Same with babies and to an extent toddlers. I actually really like not being able to see the babies needs either because it's realistic. Babies being stuck to a crib is a whole other subject though.

Sims indicate no age, nor what amount of people you should be controlling. Why not, the next iteration, why not limit controllable sims to 1? We'll call this innovation and realism. After all in real world, the only one you can be certain about is you.
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    I never watch reviews mostly because I only trust my own judgement on whether or not something is worth it. And C&D is definitely worth it to me, if only for the build/buy items that are gorgeous.

Again, watching a review does not = allowing the reviewer to make choices for the viewer. I think most, if not all, make their own decision in the end. Or at least I hope so. I trust my own judgement as well, but it can be helpful to be exposed to some features before purchasing. Not everyone has the kind of throw-away money to be spending on things they regret later on if they had waited and saw features. Whether we like those features or not, is up to each of us, not the reviewer.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    The one viewer that doesn't squeal and omg over every single item and spend forever on each and every item... Doesn't get a free copy, because he tells it like he sees it in his opinion.. Speaks louder than any excuse I have heard so far why he didn't get a free copy.
  • Options
    @mirta000 For more detail. (this is sims 4 not irl) my dog kept whining and crying. I had no idea what was wrong with him. I kept feeding him, petting him etc and I could just not figure out why he was upset. Then it hit me. I saw him looking at the fireplace and shaking. He's afraid of fire. Sure enough I turned off the fireplace and he went back to running around happy.

There is story telling purpose. How boring would it be if I looked at his UI and saw "Afraid of fire" YAWN.

Instead of seeing a meter that said his bladder was low, he stood by the back door and started barking, waking up my sim. She then got up and let him out to go pee. When he was hungry he stood by his bowl in the kitchen and started whining.

MY female dog wasn't fixed, so she went by the doors and constantly was howling over and over again with woohoo hearts swirling around her. I loved it, so realistic! So instead of telling me she was in heat with a moodlet etc, it showed it. Took her to the vet and she stopped.

MY cat wouldn't shut up and it turns out she had a trait where she liked to go outside a lot. IT was more fun NOT seeing the trait because I got to learn and adapt to her situation.

I'm almost positive I've seen you make threads before asking for less tell and more show, and if you haven't I sure as heck have seen multiple people.

These pets show and not tell, and that's what I love about them. I never really played with pets in sims 2 or 3, being completely honest. I REALLY love the pets in sims 4. The lack of pet beds and dog houses bother me, yes. But I think they 100% nailed the pets AI.

Go back and play with pets in TS2 and TS3. You're acting as if they did not DO these things (hint, they did).

To me it's tedious. You no longer have a companion, you have a portrait to babysit. In real life I do not need to babysit my cats. They will approach me when they want attention and that's exactly what they did in TS3 and TS2 (In TS3 the cats kept on sitting on my sims lap while they were watching TV and it was the cutest thing ever. In TS2 they loved sitting on counters, destroying furniture, digging holes, hissing at each other and it was up to you to teach them not to behave that way, yet you still had the opportunity to see their relationships and needs. Because we're playing a game and we're playing with the cat. We're not babysitting a portrait).
  • Options
    gamekitten wrote: »
    The one viewer that doesn't squeal and omg over every single item and spend forever on each and every item... Doesn't get a free copy, because he tells it like he sees it in his opinion.. Speaks louder than any excuse I have heard so far why he didn't get a free copy.

Plenty of simmers tell it like they see it in their opinion. Maybe those simmers genuinely love the sims 4? Seems like it to me. Doesn't make either of their opinion any less valid.

I will say however, that a lot of the simmers on youtube did speak up about the ball pit and said it looked horrible. Even the ones who everyone says goes around squealing at everything.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Go back and play with pets in TS2 and TS3. You're acting as if they did not DO these things (hint, they did).

To me it's tedious. You no longer have a companion, you have a portrait to babysit. In real life I do not need to babysit my cats. They will approach me when they want attention and that's exactly what they did in TS3 and TS2 (In TS3 the cats kept on sitting on my sims lap while they were watching TV and it was the cutest thing ever. In TS2 they loved sitting on counters, destroying furniture, digging holes, hissing at each other and it was up to you to teach them not to behave that way, yet you still had the opportunity to see their relationships and needs. Because we're playing a game and we're playing with the cat. We're not babysitting a portrait).

Do you even have the sims 4 cats and dogs? Because the things they do in sims 4 they definitely did NOT do in 3 or 2. You don't need to baby sit your cats. The cats are just like IRL. Make sure they have food and a clean litterbox and they pretty much take care of themselves.

Dogs on the other hand are much more high maintenence, just like irl.
  • Options
    angelchromeangelchrome Posts: 421 Member

No LGR review copy this time

Apparently a LGR review is no longer necessary...

'Cause even without one a thread starts and the same arguments ensue.
    As usual...
    no one intends to change their feelings regarding his reviews before or after participating in this thread and
    no one will change their mind about buying the "fill in the blank" Pack due to his review (or lack of) or this thread.
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I enjoy watching LGR's review, but I'm not sure why most people (especially here on the forums) put him on such a high pedestal. Not sure what makes him any more special than the other YouTube simmers... I know he's the only serious reviewer about it, but still...
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options

Plenty of simmers tell it like they see it in their opinion. Maybe those simmers genuinely love the sims 4? Seems like it to me. Doesn't make either of their opinion any less valid.

I will say however, that a lot of the simmers on youtube did speak up about the ball pit and said it looked horrible. Even the ones who everyone says goes around squealing at everything.

-Ahem- Just positive reviews, my point exactly. Squeal and omg everything and seal in your free copy.
  • Options

-Ahem- Just positive reviews, my point exactly. Squeal and omg everything and seal in your free copy.

Do you really think their youtube jobs don't pay enough that they can't afford to spare $40 every year? Why is it LGR is telling it like it is and speaking his opinion, but if it's positive then they're just always positive to get free stuff.

Are they not allowed to like the pack and express excitement?
  • Options
    angelchromeangelchrome Posts: 421 Member
    And its like the only truthful review HAS to be a negative one

The only truthful review is one that shows added gameplay, CAS and B/B and the options available within those areas.
    Does this or that element work correctly? Yes or no?
    Did I experience glitches, routing issues, bugs etc.

Positive, negative, love, hate is all opinion.
    Most reviews will be biased to some degree but so is reader perception.
  • Options

Do you really think their youtube jobs don't pay enough that they can't afford to spare $40 every year? Why is it LGR is telling it like it is and speaking his opinion, but if it's positive then they're just always positive to get free stuff.

Are they not allowed to like the pack and express excitement?

Sure, but for me, I see a different story. I would go into detail, but as a long time simmer (who does own Sims 4) I rather keep my ability to post in the forums.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top