Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uncontrollable Pets - Good move or bad?

Comments

• PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited November 2017
    mirta000 wrote: »
    filipomel wrote: »
    Yes it is a choice, and I understand where you’re coming from, honestly I really do understand people’s complaints and opinions on this topic of control vs no control. I haven’t gotten to play around with the new pack yet, hope to as soon as I can get my hands on it, but from what I’ve read and seen these new pets really are as expressive as the developers made them out to be.

From what I've heard animations break or hang, they do not have any needs (pets go without eating/ sleeping until you order them to) and UI is confusing :D

That's not my experience at all. In fact I feel like my sims' dogs spend most of the day eating (they stare at their bowl or bring it to your sim for them to fill it up at least 2/3 times a day). They also get dirty (and not only when they play in the mud). My sim came home from work and found her puppy chihuahua had pooped and peed all over the floor and was all dirty too...
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited November 2017
    RexZheng wrote: »

Actually, you can click on their portrait and it will direct you to your pet :)

Thank goodness. So why were they searching all over for that kitten in the live stream? Are they really so ignorant as to how the game works?

Edited to add: Can you right click on their portrait to follow them with the camera?
    From what I've heard animations break or hang, they do not have any needs (pets go without eating/ sleeping until you order them to) and UI is confusing :D

How is the bolded part possible? Even the baby object has "needs".

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited November 2017
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Maxis needs to improve the pets AI. My mom cat didn't eat for two days and my kitten hasn't slept for two days. The kitten hasn't slept at all, not even a cat nap.

I find some pets don't want to eat you just have to tell them after a bit they learn on there own.

She was eating when I quit my game. The day before in the game I cooked some pet food for her and she took maybe 2 bites and the rest spoiled. I filled the cat bowls with food and she finally ate. The kitten still hasn't slept at all. It's morning of day 3 in the game.

ETA. Since I made these cats I know their traits. The mom is curious, clever, and prowler. The kitten is curious, clever, and frisky.
  • Meline134Meline134 Posts: 22 New Member
    I think it's okay to make it so you can't control them.
    That's what pets are like irl, you can only guide them and praise/lecture behaviour.
    I do wish they would've added a screen where we can see their age, their relationships etc.

I'm trying to get my cats to breed but they keep rejecting eachother.
    Having no idea how they feel towards each other really doesn't help :(
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

How can a cat not sleep for 3 days and not pass out and not eat for 2 days and not get any hunger warnings if they have needs? The intended functionality might be that they perform an animation ever so often without actually having the "need" (let's say that in code, a sims need is measured from 0 to 100, 0 being empty, 100 being full. I think that cats and dogs might not even have this measurement), however as they're currently not performing these animations on their own in some games, this becomes more apparent.

How can a cat not sleep for 3 days and not pass out and not eat for 2 days and not get any hunger warnings if they have needs? The intended functionality might be that they perform an animation ever so often without actually having the "need" (let's say that in code, a sims need is measured from 0 to 100, 0 being empty, 100 being full. I think that cats and dogs might not even have this measurement), however as they're currently not performing these animations on their own in some games, this becomes more apparent.

This has got to be a bug, because pets without needs...I can't even go there.

Do you have any mods? Or, maybe try repairing your game? (Sorry if you said that you have tried that already, I might have missed it.)

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    UNCONTROLLABLE PETS - GOOD MOVE OR BAD?

Good move.
    edited November 2017

Again have you experienced this? Can this e.g. be caused by mods? I haven't seen anyone mention this issue on Tumblr where I'm mostly active. It seems every time an expansion is out it's the people who don't even have the game who complain the most because of stuff they "have read somewhere and happened to someone else"
  • lonestarranger01lonestarranger01 Posts: 60 Member
    Personally, I preferred them being uncontrollable like they were in the Sims 2. While it was fun to control them in TS3 when members of the household were at work or school it makes them more spontaneous and requires more interactions with their sims in my opinion. If you want to house train your dog to go to the bathroom outside you have your sims train them as opposed to controlling your dog and forcing it to go outside until it learns. The only thing I am missing is being able to see its motive bars but it's fun having to look for the cues from them.
    “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” –The Goblet of Fire
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    edited November 2017
    I would say good move. I prefer them not being controllable.

However, I do want to be able to see my pets skills, age, family tree and needs. Needs isn't that important, but I don't understand why they excluded the possibility to see their age etc.

If they get enough feedback then perhaps the developers will add it later on.
    Post edited by Icewolf on
  • JayGloverJayGlover Posts: 60 Member
    I thought it would be bad until I realised in the real world you can't control how your pets feel. I'm all for the decision

This has got to be a bug, because pets without needs...I can't even go there.

Do you have any mods? Or, maybe try repairing your game? (Sorry if you said that you have tried that already, I might have missed it.)

I'm experiencing what you quoted. I never have mods or CC in any game I own. That includes skyrim, fallout 4, and the sims games. I haven't seen the cats in my game get red pictures or whatever is supposed to turn red. My sim is being very social with both cats, praising, petting, and talking to them. I'm not giving the cats any commands except for "What is that?" because I got the notice about the curious trait.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I think maybe someone can mine the code and game files to confirm whether pets do have needs or just an AI script dictating what to do.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I think maybe someone can mine the code and game files to confirm whether pets do have needs or just an AI script dictating what to do.

I think they have needs because in my first game, I saw a stray with the food dish thought bubble meowing at several sims, but my sim acted like her AI froze when I tried to give it a treat. After several tries to give the stray a treat, I rage quit that game. Then I made the two cats I'm playing with now. The traits could be over powering the needs, frisky canceling out the sleep need, and prowler canceling the hunger need.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

Just to follow up on this, I used testingcheats and shift-clicked on my dog who was uncomfortable because he had to pee. I clicked on "make happy" and he became fine, and he stopped crying at the door. This might indicate that pets do have needs that we just don't see.

Also, while we're at it, it seems that we can give them quirks using that cheat. They can obsess over or fear something.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Way better - they are more like having real pets now, well a bit easier to figure out to be honest. I was surprised and very delighted.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited November 2017
    I like it so far. There is a good "what's wrong" when your pet seems a bit stressed. (mostly my pup wanting to pee).

It is so stressful though it reminds me of the problems I had with my first puppy but I think I am getting the hang of it. Pick the pup up take it outside, command it to go potty and then praise it. Now my puppy is starting to tell my sim that he wants to go outside. The puddle is HUGE though and the grown up mastiff has just rolled in it! :# I love the leg up action. <3

My Sims (two elders) keep wanting to go to bed and sleep just like I did, It's exhausting them like I was! The mastiff has taken over the sofa to sleep as well.

I'm experiencing what you quoted. I never have mods or CC in any game I own. That includes skyrim, fallout 4, and the sims games. I haven't seen the cats in my game get red pictures or whatever is supposed to turn red. My sim is being very social with both cats, praising, petting, and talking to them. I'm not giving the cats any commands except for "What is that?" because I got the notice about the curious trait.

It's definitely a bug then. Like most Sims bugs, it doesn't happen with everyone. Hopefully, there will be a fix soon.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member
    I think it was a good move - being 100% honest. I will say that I wish we knew what their skills are and if they’re potty-trained fully, etc. I love not being able to control them. There’s already enough to control in the game - it felt too in-control. I love the spontaneity of the pets. I have no autonomy for my Sims, so having the pets do their own thing is cool for me because I can continue on bossing my Sims around. :D:D
    Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi
    edited November 2017
    I think it was a good move - being 100% honest. I will say that I wish we knew what their skills are and if they’re potty-trained fully, etc. I love not being able to control them. There’s already enough to control in the game - it felt too in-control. I love the spontaneity of the pets. I have no autonomy for my Sims, so having the pets do their own thing is cool for me because I can continue on bossing my Sims around. :D:D

It's funny because people (myself included) Have been complaining for 3 years that the player has too much control in this game and that there's hardly any challenge or random things happening (which makes it too predictable and less fun). And now they give us this (which in my opinion is a step in the right direction) and people complain too lol I guess you can't make everyone happy
  • TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member

It's funny because people (myself included) Have been complaining for 3 years that the player has too much control in this game and that there's hardly any challenge or random things happening (which makes it too predictable and less fun). And now they give us this (which in my opinion is a step in the right direction) and people complain too lol

🐸🐸🐸🐸 ain’t that the truth. I love seeing the pets act like pets on their own. I don’t think we’d be able to make them feel like pets if we had control.
    Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited November 2017
    I've put a fence round the property with "no dogs" lock on the front gate so my pets don't stray and Vlad now doesn't come in with the "locked for everyone but household". I just unlock the front door when the Sims I like arrive and lock it at night such as the lady with the adopted pet etc.
  • Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    I really like it so far. The pets are certainly unpredictable and it's really improved my gameplay. This is also the first time I've used the adoption function in the game and it's been interesting to have a little Labrador puppy running around.
    edited November 2017

It's definitely a bug then. Like most Sims bugs, it doesn't happen with everyone. Hopefully, there will be a fix soon.

Okay I think my sim could be bugged then. I tried to make her friend of the world back in Sept. I thought I saved her in my library before she had that bug but maybe not.
    Post edited by DragonAge_300905 on
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top