Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bowling Night Reviews

Comments

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    But saying he's only saying it for the views is rude and is just calling him a fake.

Also, I can't say 100% what his motivations are, but it's clear he still cares for the series (otherwise he wouldn't be so upset, lets be real: you don't give a plum about something you've given up on), but has lost a lot of interest/motivation with the current iteration. He's stated it multiple times that the lack of unique/substantial new gameplay just leaves him bored and tbh I don't blame him. I manage to keep myself entertained, but not everyone is like that.

I am not saying he's NOT motivated by that, but to what I was replying to was specifically phrasing that to discredit him and undermine his reviews, which is pretty messed up, in my opinion.

Also, yeah, I'd be interested in keeping fans happy too, it's not a bad thing. But it's not his main source of viewship as he does get a lot of hits on his other videos that focus a lot on old games/tech and other game reviews as well. Not to mention EA does send them to him for free, as his videos do do a lot of good service to their sales in the long run, I'm sure. I personally know I wouldn't be nearly as interested in the Sims 4 iteration or it's various packs, if I hadn't stumbled across LGR's channel. And I had no/very little desire for the Bowling Pack until I saw his video today. Still on the fence how soon I'll get it, but it bumped it up a lot.
    I guess it is a rude accusation, insinuating that he's faking it for the money. It could be true though. I don't have any reason to believe it is, but you never know for sure.

Personally, I think it's more likely that if there's any "for the views only" going on, it's that he's giving his honest opinion, but his heart is also not in it and he's not all that happy to be doing it, so his frustration with feeling obligated to do it colors his reviews of the product itself.

Anyway, I don't really want to get deep into a thing about guessing at someone's character. I do wonder if his heart's really in it, which it doesn't seem to be, but that's more out of curiosity. For me, it's got nothing to do with discrediting him in that sense.

I don't feel any need or reason to discredit him. He's just a guy sharing his opinions about a game at the end of the day. My motivations for posting in this thread began and ended with questioning some of the points he made because I was on the lookout for a fair and balanced review and received instead what felt like a subconscious decision before he loaded up the game to be dissatisfied with what the pack offers (which is my perception and not intended as a statement of fact). I never had any desire to go deep into some thing about whether he's faking it or not.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    @aricarai wrote: »
    @aricarai wrote: »
    @jackjack_k - genuinely curious - what Sims 3 world was $50?

To get the full Roaring Heights experience, it was $50.
    EA did break it up, by selling the venue to the world separately.

$20 for just the world. $35 ($5 off an EP) for the world, clothes and a gameplay object.
    $54 for the world, clothes, gameplay object and the new venue, built for the world.

Well that makes me a sucker! Haha! Thank you - I didn't know that.

I loved TS3 so much that I bought everything and threw my money at EA blindly without knowing or really caring about the cost. :mrgreen:

I mean, it's fine if it's worth it to you, but it's not value for money compared to what else EA have put out :)

The Store is really potato/poh-taht-toe to The Sims 4's model. Both are pretty bad for the progress and innovation of the game itself.

I think the EP & GP model is really good.

The Stuff Packs are good for inbetween packs, and aren't too badly priced, I would just rather them be GP's but I understand the purpose.

I would, if i were in charge, just have EPs & GPs.

The Sims 3 store took EP content, watered it down heavily, and then released it for half the price of an EP.
    If Store Content was just as good as the EP content, then sure. I could *kinda* see it. But it was rubbish.

The Venue's were awful, the sets were 1/3 the size of a $10 Stuff Pack, but twice the price. The only thing I felt were reasonably priced were the $20 worlds.

I got Aurora Skies for $43, only because I was in love with it, but even still, it came with a Stuff Packs worth of items, and the world.
    So it should have really only been $30 at best. Even then, it's expensive.

I agree with you there, I'd much prefer expansion packs and game packs only.

Having a dedicated group working solely on stuff packs is a waste, in my eyes. Especially when the stuff packs as of late have been skimping out on content, particularly in CAS, for one.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    Have to say what iffs me most is that there's NO multitasking.

They can't sit while others bowl, they can't talk to each other .. nothing.

You can have them leave the game to do stuff and then re-join but that's it.

I saw Sims sitting cheering their family members. There is suppose to be a watch interaction.
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    He's never been REMOTELY attentive/gave a plum about views or said anything about that kind of stuff.
    Aye, but I can't help wondering what the motive is when he doesn't even appear to play Sims 4 much in the first place. The way he commented on the new loading screen was like he was loading up TS4 specifically to do a Bowling review and then go back to not playing it... like it was this fresh feature to him that came with the Bowling patch, even though it came quite a ways before.

I mean, if I was in his position, I'd probably do the reviews too, if I was getting handed review copies and was able to please my audience and have a reliable number of views from doing them. So not necessarily views only, but loyalty to his fanbase, respect to whoever swings review copies his way. It's not really what I'd consider a criticism to say that a youtuber is doing something for the views, but it's also not a stretch of the imagination at all to say that they're motivated by that. Though most of them start doing it out of passion, they can't keep it up for free at the pace needed to stay relevant.

But saying he's only saying it for the views is rude and is just calling him a fake.

Also, I can't say 100% what his motivations are, but it's clear he still cares for the series (otherwise he wouldn't be so upset, lets be real: you don't give a plum about something you've given up on), but has lost a lot of interest/motivation with the current iteration. He's stated it multiple times that the lack of unique/substantial new gameplay just leaves him bored and tbh I don't blame him. I manage to keep myself entertained, but not everyone is like that.

I am not saying he's NOT motivated by that, but to what I was replying to was specifically phrasing that to discredit him and undermine his reviews, which is pretty messed up, in my opinion.

Also, yeah, I'd be interested in keeping fans happy too, it's not a bad thing. But it's not his main source of viewship as he does get a lot of hits on his other videos that focus a lot on old games/tech and other game reviews as well. Not to mention EA does send them to him for free, as his videos do do a lot of good service to their sales in the long run, I'm sure. I personally know I wouldn't be nearly as interested in the Sims 4 iteration or it's various packs, if I hadn't stumbled across LGR's channel. And I had no/very little desire for the Bowling Pack until I saw his video today. Still on the fence how soon I'll get it, but it bumped it up a lot.

No, but his most popular videos are dominated by The Sims. Nine of his top ten most popular videos are Sims videos. So if he were to act on his dislike of TS4 and, for example, stop reviewing or doing videos on it, I don't think that would go particularly well for him. So I think there could be some economic motivation in his videos, as with other big YouTubers. However, like you've said, it's not possible to know what his motivations are. We can only speculate and it is a long shot to discredit him solely because he has an opinion and tailors his videos to that opinion. I do think he muddied the waters a bit when he openly declared his dislike of the game, yet continued to review it. I feel like it does make his reviews a little more predictable.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited March 2017
    Now this is some nice community spirit and overall support. :) Nice to see something different for a change by sharing multiple reviews from a variety of Simmers.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I love LGR reviews but I still don't understand why on Earth EA is still giving him free packs. They're basically signing up to be verbally shredded each and every time. I'm starting to think EA might think bad press is good press. Why don't they send a pack to a random person or legit TS4 fan instead?
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

Exactly.

What is a review if not one person's opinion? Bias is inherent.

I also have to side eye the inferences that LGR is giving negative reviews just for "views".

Really? How would one know that? How would one know that he's not saying what he really believes?

The way that YouTube is set up these days, if LGR was making negative reviews just to make more money, he'd be better off just creating the two-hour feature films that have become so common these days. The algorithms highly favor longer videos.
    Quoting because I agree with your comments. In reality anyone can make money off of Youtube. Like this one guy made $10,000 from a single video saying how much money people really get from Youtube at least how much money he makes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNLdCXKWek

You can seriously make a video of a cat and make a video. It doesn't require that much effort or skill. Just has to be the right subject matter. LGR just has provided a subject matter for the underdog Simmers who thrive despite trolling. Bias is a funny thing. Some people are biased towards a certain Youtuber. To judge a Simmer preferring LGR, yet saying that they aren't biased themselves is nothing more than hypocritical which I've skimmed a lot of regarding LGR. He's a reviewer just like anyone else, yet is hated on so much by a tiny niche of the forum community which is funny. Doesn't matter though because Gurus like him and honestly LGR has been respectful towards all the Gurus even on social media. Can every Simmer say the same about their favorite reviewer? Deligracy is another reviewer who I have found respectful towards Simmers and Gurus alike just like LGR. I respect them both equally and love both their reviews.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    oblivion627oblivion627 Posts: 89 Member
    edited March 2017
    I respect both sides of this argument, truly. I can understand it might feel like LGR is just forcing potshots at packs, but I also respect that he's one of the most honest, level-headed reviewers out there, and that's not a lie. He's a really chill and decent guy who just happens to make a living doing something he loves; making videos about PC gaming, tech and whatnot.

We really ought to simplify here, as this whole discussion may be snowballing into something bigger than it really is.

LGR doesn't have to outright love or hate anything to continue to gain followers and views. Otherwise, he'd sugarcoat or pulverise with no middle ground to be seen in his reviews. He's not trying to attack the packs or get anybody riled up. He's only trying to convince people to think before buying, regardless of what your end decision is.

And as for the negativity about the Ralph thing? Well, I understand the frustration, but hear me out. In the beginning, LGR was concerned for the series when we started getting SPs on a highly frequent basis, but obviously the releases have been spread far more widely and for some time now he's been using the Ralph thing purely as a running joke more than anything else.

LGR's reviews have never been meant to be taken as the absolute only true word on anything. If EA took it seriously do you think they'd send him packs? No. Ask any guru - LGR is highly respected by the team and they value his feedback because it is honest and to the point.

So, simplified? All of this?

LGR is one of us, passionate about the series, and he's just sharing his personal take on things. He has never once cared whether any of us agree or disagree with him and he's merely providing his opinion. People view his content because it's entertaining to them, not because they agree with his own take on things. We all know how to ignore things on Facebook that we scroll past which disinterest us, so what makes this any different? Just because it's a review it doesn't mean anything is trying to be forced on you.

I have my own opinions on this subject as do the rest of you, and I'm really fascinated by the depth this discussion has gone to. However, it might be best to step back and reexamine it all. I think we're building it all up to be something bigger than what it really is (though I may be wrong).

If you enjoy LGR's content, okay. If you dislike it, also okay. None of that matters. He is merely providing his take on things, and invites you to do the same

Group hug and calmness. It's all good. If you like the pack then yay! Grab it. If not, then that's fine, save ten bucks and go spend it on something you like. No matter how you try to label or illustrate it, that's what reviewers are trying to convey, through their own personal experience with a pack and opinion on it serving as a foundation for you to come to your own decision. Hope I didn't upset anyone! Just my take on things.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I love LGR reviews but I still don't understand why on Earth EA is still giving him free packs. They're basically signing up to be verbally shredded each and every time. I'm starting to think EA might think bad press is good press. Why don't they send a pack to a random person or legit TS4 fan instead?

Because they don't feel they are being verbally shredded perhaps? LGR has said in the video what he liked, what he disliked and how he felt that could be improved upon. There is nothing wrong with that. It's good for a reviewer w he pros and cons. The only other you tuber I've watched in full for their review is xUrbanSimsx and she also gave constructive criticism when necessary and she's part of their influence programme. A programme which LGR was invited to join but he turned down.

If LGR was just saying " the packs a lot of garbage don't buy it" that would be different. But he isn't.
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member

Here's another review, in case it hasn't been posted.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqkh_opK7Mw
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2017
    I have a question: If you make a bowling club and then visit the lot with other sims, will those non-played bowling club sims be bowling there autonomously or will it just be families selected by the game?

@crinrict

Tried that and yes, the club that had the bowling alley as hangout came and they bowled.

@luimistelija
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Have to say what iffs me most is that there's NO multitasking.

They can't sit while others bowl, they can't talk to each other .. nothing.

You can have them leave the game to do stuff and then re-join but that's it.

I saw Sims sitting cheering their family members. There is suppose to be a watch interaction.

There is but it's only available if you don't bowl yourself. So it's either you bowling or you watching.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    Do people actually watch reviews just to criticize the reviews....A review is based on the person's opinion valid or not..IMO no one has to agree with it.. if you like the review kuddos,. if you don't move on or start your own review
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited March 2017
    Aine wrote: »
    But it seems the concept of constructive criticism goes beyond some simmers grasp. But hey, I don't judge. Go head and be offended - more amusement for me. :p;):D<3
    But that's what part of the criticism I've seen directed toward LGR is: Constructive criticism. Why is it odd when it's directed toward a reviewer, but not odd when it's directed toward the game?
    I don't have problem with people that want to have an opinion on the reviews. And I'm sure there are some actual constructive criticism of his videos, even though I haven't seen it. But be honest here, there's alot of 'he's complaining too much' comments. Also there's some really ridiculous accusations that he's not being honest or that he is overly negative and other similar things. It's just really funny to me. They're saying LGR is being overly negative by being overly negative towards him. I mean, come on. :D:D

I'd be really interested to hear what people want LGR to say instead of what he is saying now. Do they want him to say it's all rainbows and sunshine? I haven't seen any suggestions.
    LGR on the other hand gives alot of suggestions when he reviews. For instance in this one he said what he would want from a pack like this - what he thinks is missing from it. Now that's constructive criticism. You can't call something constructive unless you actually give an example of what you want instead.
    Also, I'm not sure you can count 'I want him to have the exact same view as me' as constructive criticism either.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I didn't think I'd pick up bowling stuff, and now I really don't plan to.

Why make a 10 dollar pack surrounding around a VERY specific activity that isn't any more well designed than its predecessor versions, which were bundled in expansion packs?

It just makes no sense, and is a huge money grab attempt by EA.

I think the Stuff pack model itself is currently very poorly defined. I get the vibe Stuff packs sold just fine in Sims 3 despite a higher price tag and less game content, yet they've changed the model. Why?

It feels like they're attempting to cater the stuff packs to people like myself (and LGR) who want gameplay, in order to broaden the consumer base and attract more customers. I'm not so sure it's working, cause speaking personally, I just get annoyed when things like Butlers and bowling are put in packs that I have no intention of buying. It serves as a reminder that content I used to get while purchasing expansions will now never be accessible to me unless I pay an additional $10 fee. It also gets aggrivating to realize that Sims 4 could very well hit twenty stuff packs by the time it's done, but only ~6 expansions, so again it increases annoyance with them.

But it is working. I never bought a Stuff pack before in previous Sims games. I'm buying them now. Why not? $10 is not that much. As I mentioned in another thread, I don't care how the content is delivered, just that it ultimately is.

People are so caught up in the idea that an EP should have X, Y, Z and if something gets delivered in a different way, it's "wrong." There is no right and wrong to this. It's a game and EA gets to change the paradigms at any time.

Honestly, I like getting content sooner rather than later. I'd rather have a few SPs now than absolutely nothing and wait 6 more months to get the ultimate, fully-packed EP that also happened to include bowling. I'm willing to pay for the convenience of getting the content now.
    I agree. I never bothered with the stuff packs in ts2/ts3. They were too expensive just for furniture, and I hated the store.
    Now I am much more willing to buy stuff packs since they are cheaper and offer gameplay items with them.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited March 2017

I guess it is a rude accusation, insinuating that he's faking it for the money. It could be true though. I don't have any reason to believe it is, but you never know for sure.

Its also possible that sniffing my stinky feet will enable a person to reach enlightenment. No reason to believe it would, but you never know for sure.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

Its also possible that sniffing my stinky feet will enable a person to reach enlightenment. No reason to believe it would, but you never know for sure.

Where is the LOL button when you need it! Cracking up here!

*leaves before tempting to smell me some stinky feet*
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    I would rather listen to him complain than having to go through a typical fan girl "Omg, this is cute! Oh and I love this. This is very very very sweet and nice looking *sqeeekes and pretty much praising everything POSITIVE without any cons*". And I do agree with LGR points. An bowling alley worth 10 bucks? IK, better than TS3Store, but stilll... It's kinda meaningless animation and nothing much else!

ETA Honestly, I think they could have saved the bowling thingy for a sports/recreated theme GP.

THIS! I just saw this comment right after I posted mine. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Graham explained the team purposely chose to do the bowling as Simmers requested it and no gp or ep was being planned to include bowling - so what we think does not matter if other simmers request it and it is clear it would NOT be added to any gps or eps being planned and worked on.

It is a good guess there will not be a sports or hobbies gp or ep for Sims 4.

Also they said the gps focus was one thing indepth while the eps focus is 3, stuff packs are for all else and pretty much single focused.

I'd really like to know where he found a statistically significant sample size of people who soberly, willingly, and purposely would chose bowling over so many other content choices for the Sims. Did he hit up a Grease convention or nursing home? And did he get chills... and were they multiplying?

THIS!!! It feels like they went to Feedback/Ideas section of the forum, browsed through pages, clicked a random idea that (or choose it cuz they're bias, since) is titled "Bownling", checked it out and exclaim "Welp, that will do for now! Let's get go on making it as a SP."
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member

LGR is the one with one of the largest draws out there and EA knows it. They're sending him free copies in the hope that he'll find something good and/or encouraging to say about it. Sadly, since his change of heart the Snark Knight has emerged from his lair and is on the warpath.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    LukeThePlumbobLukeThePlumbob Posts: 203 Member

Okay this Video has made Me feel a little better bout the Bowling pack, thanks for the Review, much appreciated.

Luke is one of my favorite sim reviewers. I like seeing what's available and he lays out everything pretty mcuh, especially when it comes to the stuffpacks as I judge of what's in it is worth the money for me.

Awwwh! Thank you @LosaruTaiyo
    website-banner-april-2015.jpg

• Options
    LukeThePlumbobLukeThePlumbob Posts: 203 Member
    Got my review here!
    https://youtu.be/bi8Hj6yTABc
    website-banner-april-2015.jpg

• Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member

Another view that I would expand on. That even bad press help in long term. It can create sales. It not really bad press when he is giving his own view on the stuff pack.

Random person most likely won't have credit ability with group that EAis trying to reach. Plus they need as many people to view the video to make up for giving it away. Another thing is that if the person isn't experience with video editing and audio people won't view it.

Please note that the third paragraph is my opinion and may not be fact. We shouldn't see TS4 players verse TS3 players. That part of your problem with your argument/debate.
    There is no such thing as a legit TS4 or even legit TS3 fan. In the end we all Simmers no matter what version of The sims we play. Pretty much people are going to review this and other packs with their own view.
  • Options
    WeealbetWeealbet Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited March 2017
    Here is my review here if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awtvAGUgayM

Excuse the spinny CAS section, I'm still trying to work out a good way to show off the items lol

Overall, I like Bowling Night Stuff. I'm often a bit more lenient with Stuff Packs because I'm not expecting an EPs worth of content in an £8 pack.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I don't know, I feel like you're just undermining your own point here. Comparing reaching enlightenment from smelling someone's feet to a person on a platform where revenue is very volatile doing some faking to ensure that he keeps getting that revenue? Something that some Youtubers have actually admitted to doing in various ways? Like that 50+ million sub guy talking about how he used to force happiness in his gaming videos because he thought it was what people wanted to see, but it made him miserable behind the scenes.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    edited March 2017
    I have a question: If you make a bowling club and then visit the lot with other sims, will those non-played bowling club sims be bowling there autonomously or will it just be families selected by the game?

@crinrict

Tried that and yes, the club that had the bowling alley as hangout came and they bowled.

@luimistelija

Thanks for checking! I'll keep that in mind when I decide which stuff packs to buy :smile:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top