Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bowling Night Reviews

Comments

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    aricarai wrote: »

@bixters - Are you saying that LGR should not give an honest opinion/review of how he sees a pack because it might upset people that like the game?

This confuses me.

I'm unsure why people are so offended when someone gives a review opposite to how they personally feel. So LGR isn't a fan of the pack? So what? So other reviewers love the pack, so what? Why do people get all up in arms about other people's opinions?

No, that's not what I said at all. I said his criticism is not constructive, I never said he should not give negative criticism. I just don't think his criticism is the best it could be because his mentality is overall negative about the series. But, please, keep interpreting my criticism as being personal offended smh

• Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    edited March 2017
    Wait! Wait! Wait a minute, wait a minute! Let me go grab my popcorn, my root beer, my 3-D glasses, and a blanket to watch the latest showdown in Sims 4 forums that features the argument of "Bowling". With The Sims 4 releases always following a backlash I'm looking forward to who wins this new bowling controversy in the "Sims Community". Ahh ok I just sat down put my 3-D glasses on and all I have to say now with my snacks is......."LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUMMMMBBBBLLLEEEE!"
    Post edited by DegrassiGen on
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    If I can tell what your opinion is without even watching your video is your review even a review? At that point you're just playing to the audience you've cultivated. I'm not subscribed to the guy's channel, nor do I watch his videos, but I certainly know whenever a new one is posted.

Same thing can be said to the others. 'Wow' 'This looks so good' 'OMG THIS IS SOOOOOOO CUTE', is it really a review at this point?

Pretty much that, that is the reason I do no watch other reviewers, how many of them will make a two hours video of looking at each item for 5 minutes, and at each piece of clothing, piece of furniture and animation you get a ''OMG SO CUTE'' ''OMG THAT'S ADORABLE'', and a lot are like that, they just sit watching everything for two hours saying how everything is cute and adorable.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    Every reviewer going to have an different input on the games they review and as long as you keep in mind it is their personal opinion, you should be fine and you are the one who determines what is good and what is bad. What you see on IGN may not necessarily reflect what one sees on Gamespot. I listen to LGR but it does not mean I will follow his suggestion because I make my own decisions and I cannot tell LGR how do his show because it is his show and he will not do it anyway.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    edited March 2017
    MissCherie wrote: »
    If I can tell what your opinion is without even watching your video is your review even a review? At that point you're just playing to the audience you've cultivated. I'm not subscribed to the guy's channel, nor do I watch his videos, but I certainly know whenever a new one is posted.

Same thing can be said to the others. 'Wow' 'This looks so good' 'OMG THIS IS SOOOOOOO CUTE', is it really a review at this point?

Pretty much that, that is the reason I do no watch other reviewers, how many of them will make a two hours video of looking at each item for 5 minutes, and at each piece of clothing, piece of furniture and animation you get a ''OMG SO CUTE'' ''OMG THAT'S ADORABLE'', and a lot are like that, they just sit watching everything for two hours saying how everything is cute and adorable.

Oh I actually prefer reviews like that (not neccessary the "cute" talk). I like to see all the swatches and animations before buying something.
    LGR review is entertaining tho, I liked his take on it.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I would rather listen to him complain than having to go through a typical fan girl "Omg, this is cute! Oh and I love this. This is very very very sweet and nice looking *sqeeekes and pretty much praising everything POSITIVE without any cons*". And I do agree with LGR points. An bowling alley worth 10 bucks? IK, better than TS3Store, but stilll... It's kinda meaningless animation and nothing much else!

ETA Honestly, I think they could have saved the bowling thingy for a sports/recreated theme GP.

THIS! I just saw this comment right after I posted mine. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Graham explained the team purposely chose to do the bowling as Simmers requested it and no gp or ep was being planned to include bowling - so what we think does not matter if other simmers request it and it is clear it would NOT be added to any gps or eps being planned and worked on.

It is a good guess there will not be a sports or hobbies gp or ep for Sims 4.

Also they said the gps focus was one thing indepth while the eps focus is 3, stuff packs are for all else and pretty much single focused.

I'd really like to know where he found a statistically significant sample size of people who soberly, willingly, and purposely would chose bowling over so many other content choices for the Sims. Did he hit up a Grease convention or nursing home? And did he get chills... and were they multiplying?
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    aricarai wrote: »

@bixters - Are you saying that LGR should not give an honest opinion/review of how he sees a pack because it might upset people that like the game?

This confuses me.

I'm unsure why people are so offended when someone gives a review opposite to how they personally feel. So LGR isn't a fan of the pack? So what? So other reviewers love the pack, so what? Why do people get all up in arms about other people's opinions?

No, that's not what I said at all. I said his criticism is not constructive, I never said he should not give negative criticism. I just don't think his criticism is the best it could be because his mentality is overall negative about the series. But, please, keep interpreting my criticism as being personal offended smh

I meant people in a general sense not specifically you, but clearly my post got your back up.

I wasn't referencing your entire post, just the part that I bolded where you've said that his reviews ignore people that actually enjoy the game. I didn't get that part, hence my post.

But really who cares if his opinion about the series is overall negative? There's always the option not to watch his videos.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

I don't watch them either. In fact, I do not watch any Sims-related content on YouTube or Twitch. Sorry to deprive you of your moment of 'gotcha' triumph.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

Dude "his criticism is not constructive" is not a claim you get to just throw around as if it has no meaning.

Bad criticism is when you provide no feedback. It'd be like if I got the new stuff pack, reviewed it, and then said "THIS GAME BLOWS, WORST STUFF PACK IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER, I HATE IT AND ITS DUMB."

Constructive criticism is when it gets feedback, such as "it plum that you cannot see the full scoreboard and only get to see the winner," or "the CAS objects are on the light side and rather limited," or "I was hoping bowling was gonna be a bit more fleshed out than this." This is exactly what he provided.

I'm largely negative about the game too, but that does not mean I'm incapable of being positive. Wind back the clock two months and I was applauding the Game Pack team for delivering the first pack that absolutely met my expectations in every way. He's harsh, but that does not mean he's incapable of recognizing when something's done "right." He's had positive reviews for some of the other packs, such as GTW, Get Together and Dine Out.

Do not try to claim his criticism is not constructive just to justify your anger with his review. To me, if that shows anything, it's your own bias and how you refuse to accept anything for an answer beyond "omg I love it go buy this and it'll make your game amazing."

I'm allowed to claim his criticism is not constructive. I'm an artist and I've participated in critiques of my own work and others, and I am fully aware of when someone is giving helpful criticism and just kicking them down. LGR 's critiques of the Sims 4 are more of the later regularly. That's my opinion.
  • Options
    Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    RubeeSims wrote: »
    RubeeSims wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVIgSRVj_g

Please feel free to add any others you come across.

Another ten minutes of him complaining about a game he's made clear time and time a game he does not like. Woopee.

A game that's breaking his heart. :'( Meanwhile, I'll watch it later. I'm scared for Ralph.

A YouTuber who's got a bunch of "fans" who thrive off negativity and gets a bootload of ad revenue for the same video again and again.

You know, he does review other stuff than Sims right? Honestly, its his Sims 3 reviews that got into the sims. I Watched his old school gaming stuff, and checked out some his sims stuff and was like, "huh, that seems fun."
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I don't know if you saw, but someone made a thread about bowling saying it should have been put into CL, majority of people said they where happy to have it in a SP cause it was flesh out since the focus of the pack is on bowling, while it wouldn't have been if it had been in CL. Ok fine, but oh look people here are criticizing LGR for daring to expect bowling to be flesh out since it have it's own pack.

People need to make up their mind, if someone says that in his opinion it would have fit the CL theme, people says no, saying the bowling pack his flesh out CAUSE it's a SP, but then when someone says the pack isn't flesh out you get people saying ''Well of course it's not flesh out it's just a SP''.

People are trying so hard to defend EA that they contradict themselves from thread to thread.

He did, he said what he would have expected or wanted, scoreboards, second turn, arcades, etc... So you might agree or disagree with his points, but it doesn't really matter, the point is he did bring points of why in his opinion the pack isn't flesh out, he didn't just said for a 10 minutes straight ''THIS PACK SUCK'' without saying what he like or not.

And for the Vampires pack he did specified that Vampires isn't his thing, he's not interested in that pack, but still made a review, but listen the guy doesn't like Vampires, what do you expect? You want him to lie and pretend he enjoy it? He's not interested in it, and still made a review cause he probably knew that people would keep asking for one if he decided to not make one.

Even if his expectations are higher what is it to you? You validate people's reviews base on their expectations? You have been going on and on since yesterday about honesty and dishonesty, the guy is honest in his reviews, shouldn't that be enough? The guy was expecting something more realistic, having a scoreboard, having turns and having arcades.

I cannot speak for other people, but I like his videos cause he's honest, but also cause he keep his videos short, he show the stuff and get to the point, he don't spend 5 minutes on each little detail like some do, I don't want to waste 2 hours watching a review of a stuff pack where the person explain in details his expectations, the reality and the results, if it's what interest you then there's plenty of those out there. Cause honestly I don't really care if LGR like a pack or not, when I watch a review what I want to see is what's in the pack, but I don't want to waste 2 hours watching a video to see it, LGR keep it short and humoristic.
    I like that he keeps it short. That's why I watched it, in part. Granted, I've also watched reviews over an hour long for movie stuff by RedLetterMedia, but that's mainly because of the production value and LGR is just making a quick review, not putting on a sort of mini-show with a team of people.

In fact, you could say that my expectations for reviews are set at a different place than what people like LGR are delivering due to having spent so much time watching guys like RedLetterMedia. Not unlike people having their expectations set at a different place than what TS4 is delivering due to having spent so much time playing past sims games. So you could say we have that in common.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    When it comes to youtube simmers' reviews we all look for different things. I enjoy seeing everything included in the pack in a consise way coming from a personal view point. It makes for an informative and enjoyable video in my opinion. A lot of them have their own quirks though, like LGR with his jokes and distaste for anything Sims 4, and Andrew Arcade with his calm tone and thorough reviews on all objects/clothing/gameplay. It's all about how you yourself feel and what you want to watch.

Personally I think that the LGR schtick died out a long time ago, so I don't enjoy his videos that much except for sometimes. Youtube simmers in general are more often than not in a way sponsored by Maxis (the big ones) and that shows as well. I feel like these videos are there for an in-depth preview for people who are on the fence about purchasing a certain pack. I know I'm getting all the packs already because I'm that into the Sims 4 as is and always want more content to flesh out my in-game world. *shrugs*. It is what it is, we all have different opinions and want different things out of our game. :)
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm going to review the reviewers. LGR the best by far. Others go into stuff I don't care about, talk too much and rather boring to watch. LGR, gets to the point, entertains and doesn't waste people's time. :D:p

I haven't liked him lately. He always rips on the sims 4 stuff packs, yet they're half as expensive, the same amount of stuff if not more and come with gameplay.

He didn't rip on sims 3 stuff packs as much.

Yes there's A LOT of them, but they are the sims 4 versiom of the store.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I watched about 30 seconds of LGR's "review" before I stopped. The intro to his "review" was so negative that I figured that I didn't need to waste anymore of my time listening to his opinions. This was the first review by this person that I have watched and it will be the last. I had read that his reviews are "hilarious" so I took the bait. What a waste. But hey, it gets him the attention he so obviously craves so I guess his "style" works.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited March 2017
    bixters wrote: »

I agree that LGR has been very negative about TS4 stuff packs. It's absolutely clear that he is disheartened by the flood of stuff packs coming from EA. Yet, as a reviewer, that is his right. His negativity is no different than a film reviewer's or a book reviewer's There are some directors or authors that reviewers just don't like. However, that shouldn't stop them from doing their job.

A lot can be said about LGR, but as a reviewer, he does his job. He not only says what he thinks, he explains why. It also doesn't take him upwards of an hour to do it. The gaming community is perhaps the only one in which a review occupies such an inordinate amount of time. Imagine if all book review lasted 100 pages?

As to the idea that he offers no "constructive" criticism, I disagree. LGR did provide constructive ideas as what could have been done to make the pack feel more complete and to add a sense of re-playability. He asked for true gameplay with scoring, true competition, related items that could flesh out the selling feature of the pack, items that one would expect to find in a real-life bowling alley. That was positive feedback that could be used toward creating a better pack in the future. It was a sight better than someone simply saying "You suck!" and never once explaining why. That would have been destructive criticism.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member

I was just at Iron Seagull's channel to see his review but what stopped me was the fact that his video is 30 minutes long then I'm like "ok pass" and moved on to "Aracde Andrew's" channel only to find out it's even longer to be around 50 minutes long. Like seriously! Over a stuff pack! An expansion I could understand more but a bowling stuff pack? Yeah LGR takes minimum time and you still see everything!
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited March 2017
    @sam123 wrote: »
    i would not trust these reviews i prefer to use my own judgement and see for my self

You haven't watched LGR? He is extremely honest, entertaining, and hilarious. His reviews are by far and away the best.

He's also incredibly biased.

His review of bowling was basically that he wanted a bowling simulator. This is The Sims not an EA Sports game. I'm sure he never expected EA to create a game within a game about one object. Like...
    @Uzone27 wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    I don't see the fun in LGR's review. All he did was complain, complain, complain and make ball jokes.

He's a longtime fan and generally disheartened with this iteration.
    His feelings represent the way a lot of people feel about the game and his observations are generally pretty fair.
    One thing I do notice about his reviews overall though is he seems to be taking a few cues from the Mr Plinkett character
    who makes a living being cynical at Red Letter media.

This might be part of what you're picking up on.

Yeah, but he's especially bias this time around too. His complaints are often irrelevant, and are just there to male the game look bad.
    Sure, he can dislike 4. But he's also complaining about things the other games did too.
    Like he said the deco items were "set dressing" like it was a bad thing. Yet the other games do the same thing and it was never an issue.

Also, if you watch his "Best To Worst" Sims 3 video, he actually dislikes the majority of The Sims 3 Expansions, and doesn't review them fondly. It's only his top 4 or so he actually thinks are good. And yet with The Sims 4, he acts like The Sims 3 was exceptional.
    It's that time of the month again where we all criticize LGR's ability to review games because he didn't love a pack as much as we think he should and obviously we know better than him since we haven't played it.

Well when he says a $10 Bowling Stuff Pack isn't worth it, but a $50 store world in The Sims 3 is, after acknowledging it's expensive, I start to scratch my head wondering if LGR is actually reviewing the quality of something, or really it's "I like this, so buy this" and "I don't like this, don't buy it".
    $50 store world is more expensive than an EP that comes with a World, and yet contains 1 or 2 gameplay items.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I agree with LGR. 1st off, no one is asking for these lame ideas. I appreciate the work these guys are doing but they need to bring stuff what the players want. They are doing a real good job killing this franchise!

Except 4 sold 5 million in 2 1/2 years, while 2 sold 6 million and 3 sold 7.5 million in the space of 5.
    At this rate, 4 is about to become the second best selling behind the original.

EA aren't killing the franchise, they are making sure that they cater everyone. The GP and EP team had no interest in bowling, but EA know people use it, so they made it a stuff pack.

Most of the content we get for 4, is based on what people use in 3. That was confirmed.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @jackjack_k - genuinely curious - what Sims 3 world was $50?
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I agree with LGR on his point about having bowling without scoring is such a miss. I watched the simguru twitch idle stream for the bowling pack, and it was the most boring thing ever. The fact that you can't do much with it, just watch sims do a couple of animations and that it, is kind of depressing. The furniture looks cool, but I'm not sure I want to pay 10 bucks for some chairs.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    What I do not get is why such a hang up over LGR? Even if he said he out right hated Sims 4 (And to my knowledge he has not), what is the problem? He does not have the right to express his opinion to his fans? If some of his fans do not like his reviews, do they not have the option not to watch his reviews? And why is it such a big deal 'if' he is negative? He would not be the only person to think negative about Sims 4. I can politely name some other game forums that use Sims 4 as insult if the game developer does something in that other game that some of its player base does not like.

What is the hang up over LGR?
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited March 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    It's that time of the month again where we all criticize LGR's ability to review games because he didn't love a pack as much as we think he should and obviously we know better than him since we haven't played it.

Well when he says a $10 Bowling Stuff Pack isn't worth it, but a $50 store world in The Sims 3 is, after acknowledging it's expensive, I start to scratch my head wondering if LGR is actually reviewing the quality of something, or really it's "I like this, so buy this" and "I don't like this, don't buy it".
    $50 store world is more expensive than an EP that comes with a World, and yet contains 1 or 2 gameplay items.

....Do you people honestly not remember history...? Pretty sure he hated almost all Sims 3 stuff packs and worlds too. Only world I remember him praising is Roaring Heights and MAYBE Lucky Palms, but even those he criticized the price and said they weren't worth the cost.

Are people so drunk off their Sims 3 - Sims 4 war that they think anyone who criticizes Sims 4 must love Sims 3 and every single aspect of it?

LGR's animosity towards Stuff Packs is not new, it's been ongoing since Sims 3. For some reason though, it's evoked new animosity from the community when he continues this practice with Sims 4.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top