Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bowling Night Reviews

Comments

• Options
    JayGsmith08JayGsmith08 Posts: 102 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    I guess after watching LGR's reviews I still basically only want the CAS stuff... (and the Disco music) :p

So it didn't really change my view of this SP...
    Omri147 wrote: »
    I guess after watching LGR's reviews I still basically only want the CAS stuff... (and the Disco music) :p

So it didn't really change my view of this SP...

I wish our sims reacted like the pic in the sims 2
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    Keks_Milch wrote: »
    Have to say what iffs me most is that there's NO multitasking.

They can't sit while others bowl, they can't talk to each other .. nothing.

You can have them leave the game to do stuff and then re-join but that's it.

I think they said there is no multitasking with bowling because it would take the sims way too long to finish bowling/their turn if there was.

But it makes the whole thing a just .. watch me while I bowl :(

Isn't that all the Sims is? You just click and watch things happen, it's always been that way. Only exception I can think of is the tombs and such in 3 with the puzzle elements

Not really - if you did not make your sims do things they tend to just stand there even with free will constantly on or worse they go do just stuff that has the sims triggers on them like pcs, woodworking table etc. Sims has always been a game you had to control to really enjoy it. In fact in former games it was not really safe to let sims choose what to do as it often resulted in Sims in trouble or worse.

The only sims the game AI is supposed to control and make do things without you are the non-playables - technically.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    RubeeSims wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVIgSRVj_g

Please feel free to add any others you come across.

Another ten minutes of him complaining about a game he's made clear time and time a game he does not like. Woopee.

Same for others tbh, 'WOOOOW' 'I LOVE THE PATTERN' 'OMG SO COOL', at this point I think they just act 'impressed' for reactions really.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    I would rather listen to him complain than having to go through a typical fan girl "Omg, this is cute! Oh and I love this. This is very very very sweet and nice looking *sqeeekes and pretty much praising everything POSITIVE without any cons*". And I do agree with LGR points. An bowling alley worth 10 bucks? IK, better than TS3Store, but stilll... It's kinda meaningless animation and nothing much else!

ETA Honestly, I think they could have saved the bowling thingy for a sports/recreated theme GP.

THIS! I just saw this comment right after I posted mine. Took the words right out of my mouth.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    MissCherie wrote: »
    Dude do you know what criticism is? He says that he would have expected bowling to be flesh out since it have his own pack, and name a few points that for him make him incomplete like no scoreboard, no second turn for the sims playing, that's not complaining, that's call criticism, he says how it could have be better in his opinion, people here really need to learn the difference between criticism and just complaining.
    I understand his criticisms, but I'm not sure he's being realistic about some of them. It's not like Vampires where Bowling is a GP or something. SPs are little packs with a little theme stuffed in them. They don't have the time and space to flesh things out all that well. As it is, they did manage to squeeze in a 1-5 skill for Bowling.

I don't know if you saw, but someone made a thread about bowling saying it should have been put into CL, majority of people said they where happy to have it in a SP cause it was flesh out since the focus of the pack is on bowling, while it wouldn't have been if it had been in CL. Ok fine, but oh look people here are criticizing LGR for daring to expect bowling to be flesh out since it have it's own pack.

People need to make up their mind, if someone says that in his opinion it would have fit the CL theme, people says no, saying the bowling pack his flesh out CAUSE it's a SP, but then when someone says the pack isn't flesh out you get people saying ''Well of course it's not flesh out it's just a SP''.

People are trying so hard to defend EA that they contradict themselves from thread to thread.
    But I think a better critique would try to analyze why it is that it doesn't satisfy him when other stuff packs, like the Backyard Stuff, seemed to hit with him more favorably, even though the amount of content for the Backyard one is pretty much the same, if not less (probably less). Saying he wishes Bowling was more fleshed out doesn't quite explain (and yes, I listened to the whole review, I know that's not all he said). I mean, Vampires was major fleshed out and the tone of his review for it struggled from the start because he isn't into having Vampires in his game.

He did, he said what he would have expected or wanted, scoreboards, second turn, arcades, etc... So you might agree or disagree with his points, but it doesn't really matter, the point is he did bring points of why in his opinion the pack isn't flesh out, he didn't just said for a 10 minutes straight ''THIS PACK SUCK'' without saying what he like or not.

And for the Vampires pack he did specified that Vampires isn't his thing, he's not interested in that pack, but still made a review, but listen the guy doesn't like Vampires, what do you expect? You want him to lie and pretend he enjoy it? He's not interested in it, and still made a review cause he probably knew that people would keep asking for one if he decided to not make one.
    That said, I realize that part of what's going on is he's not going into that much depth. Whether because he doesn't care enough, he doesn't have the time, or he wants to keep the reviews as short as possible. His reviews for TS4 packs are more or less opinionated summaries of the content, with some jokes mixed in to lighten the tone. A point I wish he'd addressed is, "Does this pack fulfill the expectation of providing the experience of your sims going out Bowling?" It seems his main criticisms are that 1) it's a simulation, not "gameplay," and 2) the bowling features themselves are missing options that he would have really liked to have. Which are perfectly fair criticisms, but I'm trying to understand the expectations, as I'm not having SPs come to mind for this game, in the past, that are any more "fleshed out" than what we're seeing here. Maybe the butler one? I don't know, I'm trying to understand, because it feels like his expectations are above and beyond what SPs have historically been able to add in this game.

Even if his expectations are higher what is it to you? You validate people's reviews base on their expectations? You have been going on and on since yesterday about honesty and dishonesty, the guy is honest in his reviews, shouldn't that be enough? The guy was expecting something more realistic, having a scoreboard, having turns and having arcades.

I cannot speak for other people, but I like his videos cause he's honest, but also cause he keep his videos short, he show the stuff and get to the point, he don't spend 5 minutes on each little detail like some do, I don't want to waste 2 hours watching a review of a stuff pack where the person explain in details his expectations, the reality and the results, if it's what interest you then there's plenty of those out there. Cause honestly I don't really care if LGR like a pack or not, when I watch a review what I want to see is what's in the pack, but I don't want to waste 2 hours watching a video to see it, LGR keep it short and humoristic.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    RubeeSims wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    I don't see the fun in LGR's review. All he did was complain, complain, complain and make ball jokes.

Dude do you know what criticism is? He says that he would have expected bowling to be flesh out since it have his own pack, and name a few points that for him make him incomplete like no scoreboard, no second turn for the sims playing, that's not complaining, that's call criticism, he says how it could have be better in his opinion, people here really need to learn the difference between criticism and just complaining.

Saying the same thing about a game over and over and over again in every video is complaining. We get it. He doesn't like it. And no, The Sims 4 isn't perfect, but he says the same thing in every single video and you know he goes in expecting to be disappointed so that's what he gets.

Saying the same thing about a game over and over and over again in every video is praising. We get it. The youtubers like it. And no, The Sims 4 isn't perfect, but they say the same thing in every single video and you know they will go expecting to be amused so that's what they get.

I just copied the same thing you said in the exact same opposite scenario for you about the others who just recommend stuff without actual criticism. Hope you enjoyed your own words :smiley:
    Post edited by Wulfsimmer on

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited March 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I think they said there is no multitasking with bowling because it would take the sims way too long to finish bowling/their turn if there was.

Isn't that all the Sims is? You just click and watch things happen, it's always been that way. Only exception I can think of is the tombs and such in 3 with the puzzle elements

Not really - if you did not make your sims do things they tend to just stand there even with free will constantly on or worse they go do just stuff that has the sims triggers on them like pcs, woodworking table etc. Sims has always been a game you had to control to really enjoy it. In fact in former games it was not really safe to let sims choose what to do as it often resulted in Sims in trouble or worse.

The only sims the game AI is supposed to control and make do things without you are the non-playables - technically.

Great point.
    Not everyone interacts with the Sims in quite the same way but even in knowing this I often get confused when I hear people say either

a) they don't like the way the Sims don't need their input and pretty much play themselves leaving them as spectators
    b) the Sims don't do what they tell them to do.

Both of these have left me truly wishing I could be a fly on the wall and see exactly what it is they're doing when they play the Sims. lol
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    I would rather listen to him complain than having to go through a typical fan girl "Omg, this is cute! Oh and I love this. This is very very very sweet and nice looking *sqeeekes and pretty much praising everything POSITIVE without any cons*". And I do agree with LGR points. An bowling alley worth 10 bucks? IK, better than TS3Store, but stilll... It's kinda meaningless animation and nothing much else!

ETA Honestly, I think they could have saved the bowling thingy for a sports/recreated theme GP.

THIS! I just saw this comment right after I posted mine. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Graham explained the team purposely chose to do the bowling as Simmers requested it and no gp or ep was being planned to include bowling - so what we think does not matter if other simmers request it and it is clear it would NOT be added to any gps or eps being planned and worked on.

It is a good guess there will not be a sports or hobbies gp or ep for Sims 4.

Also they said the gps focus was one thing indepth while the eps focus is 3, stuff packs are for all else and pretty much single focused.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I understand his criticisms, but I'm not sure he's being realistic about some of them. It's not like Vampires where Bowling is a GP or something. SPs are little packs with a little theme stuffed in them. They don't have the time and space to flesh things out all that well. As it is, they did manage to squeeze in a 1-5 skill for Bowling.

If what they put in there doesn't satisfy him, it doesn't satisfy him, end of.

But I think a better critique would try to analyze why it is that it doesn't satisfy him when other stuff packs, like the Backyard Stuff, seemed to hit with him more favorably, even though the amount of content for the Backyard one is pretty much the same, if not less (probably less). Saying he wishes Bowling was more fleshed out doesn't quite explain (and yes, I listened to the whole review, I know that's not all he said). I mean, Vampires was major fleshed out and the tone of his review for it struggled from the start because he isn't into having Vampires in his game.

That said, I realize that part of what's going on is he's not going into that much depth. Whether because he doesn't care enough, he doesn't have the time, or he wants to keep the reviews as short as possible. His reviews for TS4 packs are more or less opinionated summaries of the content, with some jokes mixed in to lighten the tone. A point I wish he'd addressed is, "Does this pack fulfill the expectation of providing the experience of your sims going out Bowling?" It seems his main criticisms are that 1) it's a simulation, not "gameplay," and 2) the bowling features themselves are missing options that he would have really liked to have. Which are perfectly fair criticisms, but I'm trying to understand the expectations, as I'm not having SPs come to mind for this game, in the past, that are any more "fleshed out" than what we're seeing here. Maybe the butler one? I don't know, I'm trying to understand, because it feels like his expectations are above and beyond what SPs have historically been able to add in this game.

And yes, I'm critiquing his critique. It's the internet, the land of meta discussions. What can I say.

Are you listening to yourself? xD They have a full $10 pack tailored to ONE object and they can't even flesh it out? We paid $20 in Vampires for many other stuff and NOT JUST ONE OBJECT and they were still more fleshed out.
    Post edited by Wulfsimmer on

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    If I can tell what your opinion is without even watching your video is your review even a review? At that point you're just playing to the audience you've cultivated. I'm not subscribed to the guy's channel, nor do I watch his videos, but I certainly know whenever a new one is posted.

Same thing can be said to the others. 'Wow' 'This looks so good' 'OMG THIS IS SOOOOOOO CUTE', is it really a review at this point?

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    We have to get it through our heads we cannot compare this game to what they did in all previous Sims games - as they said it will not follow how those games were produced and went. I know it hard to do - but we only torture ourselves with how it used to be scenario and just learn not to do that.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited March 2017

And yes, I'm critiquing his critique. It's the internet, the land of meta discussions. What can I say.

Are you listening to yourself? xD They have a full $10 pack tailored to ONE object and they can't even flesh out? We paid $20 for many other stuff and NOT JUST ONE OBJECT and they were still more fleshed out.

Actually they have a full $10 pack tailored to around 40 objects, not counting CAS. People seem to forget that though. Even our beloved lord & savior LGR said he liked the furniture. :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Not a fan of LGR's reviews anymore either, it may be criticism, but it's not constructive. It's just negativity like other's have said. He ignores positive things about the packs (as well as ignoring essential gameplay features of the pack) and instead spouts off about things he dislikes at great length. I feel he started this with Vintage Glamour. I was actually subscribed to him before, but I got turned off by his negativity about the series in general. He may not like the series, but others do, and, like it or not, it's getting more popular despite it's flaws. and it's time he gets over it. His reviews are careless and ignore people that are actually interested in the game. But, please, all criticism by LGR must be valid, at least according to LGR's fanboys on this thread.
  • Options
    DrakoVongola2DrakoVongola2 Posts: 60 Member

Are you listening to yourself? xD They have a full $10 pack tailored to ONE object and they can't even flesh out? We paid $20 for many other stuff and NOT JUST ONE OBJECT and they were still more fleshed out.

But...It's not one object o-o
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    And, please, some of you need to stop acting like he's some divine deity who can do know wrong. He's just a youtube personality, and people are entitled to criticize him as much as they like, even on these forums.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    I have a question: If you make a bowling club and then visit the lot with other sims, will those non-played bowling club sims be bowling there autonomously or will it just be families selected by the game?

@crinrict

I'll double check that for you tomorrow morning. It's a bit late here already. I haven't checked out clubs
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    If you really don't like to watch the reviews, because they are "too negative or too positive", just "mute" it before watching :D

That will give you a view of what does come in the pack, so "you" can decide if you want it or not ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Well not actually - we are supposed to talk about the game and the packs - not the players. It is sort of the rules.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member

No, it feels different than that
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited March 2017
    His critique and his opinion as well, I am getting it because it is cheap and it is cheap not expecting a whole lot for $9.99.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    auramarisauramaris Posts: 154 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    It's a stuff pack, not a game pack. Not sure why LGR expected so much more. As far as I can see it offers as much or more than other stuff packs.

There were actually stuff packs like kids room&vintage glamour which added more in depth gameplay and UrbanSims mentions that in her review. The problem with the pack is that the only gameplay we get is bowling and as LGR said it's not even detailed, it's pretty much the same as when we got bowling in Sims 3 University Life.

Why not include more arcade type of items like a claw machine, whack-a-mole etc. It would also be nice to have a real concession stand with new foods and drinks.
    They could've add so much while still making bowling the center of this pack but all we literally got is "bowling" and that's it. Even the cas items seem like the same old things to me. I don't see the appeal of this pack at all.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm going to review the reviewers. LGR the best by far. Others go into stuff I don't care about, talk too much and rather boring to watch. LGR, gets to the point, entertains and doesn't waste people's time. :D:p

Don't forget the "Ball Puns" we get an extra dose of that in this video. We adult Simmers need more "Balls"! In bowling I mean :)
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Not a fan of LGR's reviews anymore either, it may be criticism, but it's not constructive. It's just negativity like other's have said. He ignores positive things about the packs (as well as ignoring essential gameplay features of the pack) and instead spouts off about things he dislikes at great length. I feel he started this with Vintage Glamour. I was actually subscribed to him before, but I got turned off by his negativity about the series in general. He may not like the series, but others do, and, like it or not, it's getting more popular despite it's flaws. and it's time he gets over it. His reviews are careless and ignore people that are actually interested in the game. But, please, all criticism by LGR must be valid, at least according to LGR's fanboys on this thread.

@bixters - Are you saying that LGR should not give an honest opinion/review of how he sees a pack because it might upset people that like the game?

This confuses me.

I'm unsure why people are so offended when someone gives a review opposite to how they personally feel. So LGR isn't a fan of the pack? So what? So other reviewers love the pack, so what? Why do people get all up in arms about other people's opinions?

• Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »
    I don't see the fun in LGR's review. All he did was complain, complain, complain and make ball jokes.

I used to like LGR, but I agree with you now. Sure, Sims 4 isn't perfect, BUT JUST TALK ABOUT SOMETHING GOOD AT LEAST. He makes every stuff pack sound like its the worst thing out there, which is really an exaggeration.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    bixters wrote: »

"Yo, screw that reviewer guy that told me No Man's Guy is a rip-off! Doesn't he know I'm actually interested in the game?!"

Hate to break it to you dude, but that's pretty much a reviewer's job. They try something before you (privileged jerks!!!) and then tell you if they think it warrants a buy or not.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top