Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bowling Night Reviews

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    If I can tell what your opinion is without even watching your video is your review even a review? At that point you're just playing to the audience you've cultivated. I'm not subscribed to the guy's channel, nor do I watch his videos, but I certainly know whenever a new one is posted.

Even I check out other people's 'let's play' stuff even if I do get bored to tears, as I said too much a control freak to watch someone else point and click things. But at least you should watch one to see if it is amusing or not such as LGR.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited March 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    MissCherie wrote: »
    Dude do you know what criticism is? He says that he would have expected bowling to be flesh out since it have his own pack, and name a few points that for him make him incomplete like no scoreboard, no second turn for the sims playing, that's not complaining, that's call criticism, he says how it could have be better in his opinion, people here really need to learn the difference between criticism and just complaining.
    I understand his criticisms, but I'm not sure he's being realistic about some of them. It's not like Vampires where Bowling is a GP or something. SPs are little packs with a little theme stuffed in them. They don't have the time and space to flesh things out all that well. As it is, they did manage to squeeze in a 1-5 skill for Bowling.

If what they put in there doesn't satisfy him, it doesn't satisfy him, end of.

But I think a better critique would try to analyze why it is that it doesn't satisfy him when other stuff packs, like the Backyard Stuff, seemed to hit with him more favorably, even though the amount of content for the Backyard one is pretty much the same, if not less (probably less). Saying he wishes Bowling was more fleshed out doesn't quite explain (and yes, I listened to the whole review, I know that's not all he said). I mean, Vampires was major fleshed out and the tone of his review for it struggled from the start because he isn't into having Vampires in his game.

That said, I realize that part of what's going on is he's not going into that much depth. Whether because he doesn't care enough, he doesn't have the time, or he wants to keep the reviews as short as possible. His reviews for TS4 packs are more or less opinionated summaries of the content, with some jokes mixed in to lighten the tone. A point I wish he'd addressed is, "Does this pack fulfill the expectation of providing the experience of your sims going out Bowling?" It seems his main criticisms are that 1) it's a simulation, not "gameplay," and 2) the bowling features themselves are missing options that he would have really liked to have. Which are perfectly fair criticisms, but I'm trying to understand the expectations, as I'm not having SPs come to mind for this game, in the past, that are any more "fleshed out" than what we're seeing here. Maybe the butler one? I don't know, I'm trying to understand, because it feels like his expectations are above and beyond what SPs have historically been able to add in this game.

And yes, I'm critiquing his critique. It's the internet, the land of meta discussions. What can I say.

I notice that phenonon on this forum as well.
    Through the first three iterations they had a very systematic way of packaging and releasing the assets.

The way they are doing it now is throwing those expectations askew a bit.
    Notice how many people expected things like arcade machines, pool tables vending machines etc?
    That's because we have no experience at all getting these types of objects in stuff packs...so we tend to forget they are just stuff packs.
    The presesnce of premium objects in stuff packs is meant to be viewed as a bonus...but because of our past conditioning a lot of people are viewing it from a place of heightened expecattions.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,409 Member
    edited March 2017
    I almost never agree with LGR, but I love his videos. What a great idea to let Duke Nukem bowl as a vampire :D ! I had to laugh in every scene. In spite of all the criticism the review shows how charming and funny the game is.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited March 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »
    If I can tell what your opinion is without even watching your video is your review even a review? At that point you're just playing to the audience you've cultivated. I'm not subscribed to the guy's channel, nor do I watch his videos, but I certainly know whenever a new one is posted.

Even I check out other people's 'let's play' stuff even if I do get bored to tears, as I said too much a control freak to watch someone else point and click things. But at least you should watch one to see if it is amusing or not such as LGR.

I watched the first two minutes of a video review of his. Forget which pack it was. Took all of 90 seconds for him to preemptively employ a No True Scotsman fallacy in declaring that those who disagree simply didn't have his level of experience. Turned it off. I don't waste my time on such individuals. And so I pay him no mind. Wouldn't think of him at all except that every time he releases a new video the forums are flooded with people asking if I have a moment to talk about our lord and savior LGR.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2017
    Keks_Milch wrote: »
    crinrict wrote: »
    Have to say what iffs me most is that there's NO multitasking.

They can't sit while others bowl, they can't talk to each other .. nothing.

You can have them leave the game to do stuff and then re-join but that's it.

I think they said there is no multitasking with bowling because it would take the sims way too long to finish bowling/their turn if there was.

But it makes the whole thing a just .. watch me while I bowl :(
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    mariah6194mariah6194 Posts: 1,002 Member

I watched the first two minutes of a video review of his. Forget which pack it was. Took all of 90 seconds for him to preemptively employ a No True Scotsman fallacy in declaring that those who disagree simply didn't have his level of experience. Turned it off. I don't waste my time on such individuals. And so I pay him no mind. Wouldn't think of him at all except that every time he releases a new video the forums are flooded with people asking if I have a moment to talk about our lord and savior LGR.

Laughing so hard at that comment.
    tumblr_olomnw8E5c1ug9tk9o2_500.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I disagree with him about this stuff pack, he says it's not worth $10. I disagree as it depends on what I want my Sims to do in the game. I thought Romantic Garden and many others were not worth my money because it didn't grab me like activities do.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,971 Member
    Thanks for posting XUrbansims. She's a blast! :p
  • Options
    Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member

I think they said there is no multitasking with bowling because it would take the sims way too long to finish bowling/their turn if there was.

Well... I think thats the whole The Sims games in a sentence. "Watch me while I do [task]."
    I can understand why its a bit of a bummer, I wish they would maybe at least talk to each other while bowling.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited March 2017
    I thought LGR was quite fair in his review. He isn't gushing with praise for it but he is honest about what he does like and isn't afraid to call out the downsides which I feel a lot of the other youtubers do.

I liked xUrbanSimsx review too but I was surprised she said while she liked the pack it could get boring after a while as once you have done it a few times that's all there is too it in terms of game play.
    I do like the new CAS items. I am disappointed to learn sims have to buy their bowling trophy? Also disappointed to learn whilst waiting for their turn the sims will just stand there not interacting with each other. I would have liked them to sit down as that feels more realistic to me.

I'm also disappointed clubs can't compete against each other and puzzled as to why the game doesn't show you the score. So basically you have to sit and watch the game play out and at the end it just pops up and says x has won? To me fleshed out bowling would have included that. I agree with LGR completely on that score.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Dude do you know what criticism is? He says that he would have expected bowling to be flesh out since it have his own pack, and name a few points that for him make him incomplete like no scoreboard, no second turn for the sims playing, that's not complaining, that's call criticism, he says how it could have be better in his opinion, people here really need to learn the difference between criticism and just complaining.
    I understand his criticisms, but I'm not sure he's being realistic about some of them. It's not like Vampires where Bowling is a GP or something. SPs are little packs with a little theme stuffed in them. They don't have the time and space to flesh things out all that well. As it is, they did manage to squeeze in a 1-5 skill for Bowling.

But I think a better critique would try to analyze why it is that it doesn't satisfy him when other stuff packs, like the Backyard Stuff, seemed to hit with him more favorably, even though the amount of content for the Backyard one is pretty much the same, if not less (probably less). Saying he wishes Bowling was more fleshed out doesn't quite explain (and yes, I listened to the whole review, I know that's not all he said). I mean, Vampires was major fleshed out and the tone of his review for it struggled from the start because he isn't into having Vampires in his game.

That said, I realize that part of what's going on is he's not going into that much depth. Whether because he doesn't care enough, he doesn't have the time, or he wants to keep the reviews as short as possible. His reviews for TS4 packs are more or less opinionated summaries of the content, with some jokes mixed in to lighten the tone. A point I wish he'd addressed is, "Does this pack fulfill the expectation of providing the experience of your sims going out Bowling?" It seems his main criticisms are that 1) it's a simulation, not "gameplay," and 2) the bowling features themselves are missing options that he would have really liked to have. Which are perfectly fair criticisms, but I'm trying to understand the expectations, as I'm not having SPs come to mind for this game, in the past, that are any more "fleshed out" than what we're seeing here. Maybe the butler one? I don't know, I'm trying to understand, because it feels like his expectations are above and beyond what SPs have historically been able to add in this game.

And yes, I'm critiquing his critique. It's the internet, the land of meta discussions. What can I say.

Through the first three iterations they had a very systematic way of packaging and releasing the assets.

Notice how many people expected things like arcade machines, pool tables vending machines etc?
    That's because we have no experience at all getting these types of objects in stuff packs...so we tend to forget they are just stuff packs.
    The presesnce of premium objects in stuff packs is meant to be viewed as a bonus...but because of our past conditioning a lot of people are viewing it from a place of heightened expecattions.

Well to be fair the devs made it very clear since the game came out this was not the Sims 1 -2 - or 3 and that we cannot expect anything done in the first 3 series in this series. Remember that great big elusive super "VISION" they had for Sims 4 and how we were sort of expected to see Sims 4 in a whole other light as if Sims 1-2- and 3 never existed? Well they have made it clear we cannot count on any other variations of how the game went previously - from the making of the packs to even the themes of the packs - they did previously. We are supposed to be able to look at the Sims 4 experience as if we never had a Sims game before - which in my view being a human being is a pretty impossible task to expect of us - but no amount of comparisons or expectations I feel will ever make them think like we think or expect because of that hard nosed VISION.

I think the problem is we forget and have expectations - and as you say they get thrown askew - but in my view that is intentional in their zeal to still adhere to the NEW VISION - none of us quite get any way.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    I gotta say it was hard to watch LGR review the pack. I know he didn't like it and I am not saying he should praise it at all. I am glad he is being honest but I just didn't enjoy watching the video. Usually I love watching his content even if he doesn't enjoy something he still finds a way to make the video entertaining but not this time :/
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well to be fair the devs made it very clear since the game came out this was not the Sims 1 -2 - or 3 and that we cannot expect anything done in the first 3 series in this series. Remember that great big elusive super "VISION" they had for Sims 4 and how we were sort of expected to see Sims 4 in a whole other light as if Sims 1-2- and 3 never existed? Well they have made it clear we cannot count on any other variations of how the game went previously - from the making of the packs to even the themes of the packs - they did previously. We are supposed to be able to look at the Sims 4 experience as if we never had a Sims game before - which in my view being a human being is a pretty impossible task to expect of us - but no amount of comparisons or expectations I feel will ever make them think like we think or expect because of that hard nosed VISION.

I think the problem is we forget and have expectations - and as you say they get thrown askew - but in my view that is intentional in their zeal to still adhere to the NEW VISION - none of us quite get any way.

I get you.
    I bet they said all this stuff about "vision" way back in the early days before they ran into whatever trouble they ran into that caused them to make such an enormous mess of things at launch.

No way they would have made such a bold claim knowing in advance how much would be stripped from the base game when it was released.
    They definitely have to accept most of the blame in establishing those expectations. So by no means am I blaming the fans for it. I just think it's interesting that this part of their grand vsion seems to be sputtering a bit

Considering the fact that the price is reduced in half and the gameplay functionality has increased you would think the reception would be a bit more enthusiastic than it is.

His lack of emphasis on that point in his review seemed to underscore his level of disenfranchisement.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I liked xUrbanSimsx review too but I was surprised she said while she liked the pack it could get boring after a while as once you have done it a few times that's all there is too it in terms of game play.

Why is this surprising?

They roll a ball down a lane and you have no interaction aside from telling them to do it. It's never been a main attraction feature and there's a reason for that.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2017

I get you.
    I bet they said all this stuff about "vision" way back in the early days before they ran into whatever trouble they ran into that caused them to make such an enormous mess of things at launch.

No way they would have made such a bold claim knowing in advance how much would be stripped from the base game when it was released.
    They definitely have to accept most of the blame in establishing those expectations. So by no means am I blaming the fans for it. I just think it's interesting that this part of their grand vsion seems to be sputtering a bit

Considering the fact that the price is reduced in half and the gameplay functionality has increased you would think the reception would be a bit more enthusiastic than it is.

His lack of emphasis on that point in his review seemed to underscore his level of disenfranchisement.

NO they actually used that phrase in the NEW Vision before the game ever came out - when they started showing it during E3 in June 2014. It was a Rachel thing if you ask me and all we could think was it is like this because she had the vision and didn't play Sims. It was pretty obvious if you ask me. They can deny all they want but they put someone in charge of building this game that never was a Simmer or even someone who built PC games - she should have been in mobile that's where her experience lay and it was painfully obvious.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options

I get you.

NO they actually used that phrase in the NEW Vision before the game ever came out - when they started showing it during E3 in June 2014. It was a Rachel thing if you ask me and all we could think was it is like this because she had the vision and didn't play Sims. It was pretty obvious if you ask me. They can deny all they want but they put someone in charge of building this game that never was a Simmer or even someone who built PC games - she should have been in mobile that's where her experience lay and it was painfully obvious.

Heard
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Does anyone have any questions left ? Happy to answer if you do

(make sure to tag me if you do)

@crinrict is there any mood that boost the bowling skill?

Hm, how would I find out ? Do I really need to try all the moods or is there a simpler way ?

@crinrict I'd say maybe just try energized, if that doesn't work then I guess it's not affected by the other moods, cause I don't other mood that would fit it.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    sam123 wrote: »
    i would not trust these reviews i prefer to use my own judgement and see for my self

You haven't watched LGR? He is extremely honest, entertaining, and hilarious. His reviews are by far and away the best.

i do not watch such reviews and never will i will always trust my own judgement and see for myself and not base myself on reviews

But going by that, if you buy it you can't return it if you don't like so it will be a waste of money.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Why is this surprising?

They roll a ball down a lane and you have no interaction aside from telling them to do it. It's never been a main attraction feature and there's a reason for that.

A little bit because Jenn doesn't tend to criticise the game often.
    And I agree it's not a main attraction feature previously with good reason but in a pack called bowling where the main feature is bowling I thought it would be more fleshed out as LGR says.
  • Options
    AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    LGR is hilarious. I love his reviews. By far the most trustworthy.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,410 Member
    I have a question: If you make a bowling club and then visit the lot with other sims, will those non-played bowling club sims be bowling there autonomously or will it just be families selected by the game?

@crinrict
  • Options
    JayGsmith08JayGsmith08 Posts: 102 Member

I hope EA uploads these cute sims to the gallery
  • Options
    DrakoVongola2DrakoVongola2 Posts: 60 Member

Isn't that all the Sims is? You just click and watch things happen, it's always been that way. Only exception I can think of is the tombs and such in 3 with the puzzle elements
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top