Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simguru Daniels response about oceans in sims 4

Comments

• Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited August 2016
    Ok, so the team says that they won't be able to make it possible for already existing worlds.
    The key words here are "already existing".

Why are people acting like it's the end of all your hopes and dreams when it could be very well possible for future worlds?

And they said they would have to go back and make a new terrain and said it was unlikely, ok. But there is still the possibility that they go back and do the exact same thing they did with clothes and change Oceans in an update so you could swim in them. It's unlikely as SimGuru Daniel already said, but no one was expecting the clothes update or thought the team would really go through all the time to edit almost every single piece of clothing and yet here we are.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited August 2016
    The way I read it they can't retro change existing neighborhoods but they can put oceans in new neighborhoods going forward. :) Now the question is will they make such a neighborhood?
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    Here's an idea...expand existing worlds and add new areas of ocean we can swim in.

Daniel Hiatt said that making new terrain for that purpose in existing worlds is unlikely. Sounds like "complexity is our enemy," all over again.

Maybe it's just because that worlds would need major reworking and would work much better if just make world's with it built in from the beginning.
  • Options
    SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    The way I read it they can't retro change existing neighborhoods but they can put oceans in new neighborhoods going forward. :)

Which is mehhh to me, and most additions they gave me in TS3 were like WOW!

I wish s4 would be able to WOW me but it has only mehhh'd me so I'm not going to pay the full prize for that. I bought the base game for 15 euros and that is it's actual worth in my eyes!
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    The way I read it they can't retro change existing neighborhoods but they can put oceans in new neighborhoods going forward. :)

I wish s4 would be able to WOW me but it has only mehhh'd me so I'm not going to pay the full prize for that. I bought the base game for 15 euros and that is it's actual worth in my eyes!

Not to mention ocean swiming came in a freaggin' patch!! If anything this means that if you want to swim on an ocean in TS4 you'll have to pay 40 or at least 20 for it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Not to mention ocean swiming came in a freaggin' patch!! If anything this means that if you want to swim on an ocean in TS4 you'll have to pay 40 or at least 20 for it.

Yup, not very promising :/
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    True they said only for existing worlds, but who knows how many worlds we'll have by the time they add the feature? Could leave us with a dozen worlds you can't swim and only a couple that you can. (not that we're getting worlds that frequently, but still)
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    well... that's disappointing. ts3 was ahead of its time, apparently.

How does that mean anything? All it means it that they had different focuses.

Yes, one focuses on being a sims game and a life simulation (aka TS3), the other doesn't (aka TS4).

Actually they're both Sims games (shocking, I know. It's not like it's in the title) And they just have different focuses on life.

One is a simulator for many different kind of players and the other is a barely finished simulator that only appeals to a small group of its former fans. So in my humble opinion s4 should've been named differently, it's not worthy of being a full Sims game. Maybe they could've named it Sims Community like Sims 3 had Sims Medieval. That might've worked way better...

Only appeals to a small group of fans? The game has surpassed 5 million copies sold. And even if only half of those like it, I'd hardly call that small.

They're both games for many different types of players, just because they don't appeal to the same ones don't make it more or less of a Sims games.
  • Options
    shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    Man, I just give up so hard on this game. If we want swimming in ocean it most likely will come with a price tag. Go figure.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @jackjack_k can't be bothered to quote all your quoting but sorry... you don't get to tell me what is worth being 'angry' about or not. Besides I said I was disappointed, not angry. Also considering that water is just pixels... too shallow as an excuse/reason doesn't work. The hot tub is also too shallow for completely submerged woohoo but it still happens.

That's not what I was doing at all.

The water is knee height. Unless you want Sims clipping through the ground, in which everyone will point at EA and yell at them for using water for swimming that's not deep enough.

I'm saying, as a form of discussion, that I would, personally, would be angry if EA made a coastal beach, that was deep, and yet never let us swim. That would be extremely bad.
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    It's not so much "ahead of its time" in this regard, it's just every town in The Sims 3 is surrounded by deep ocean whether you like it or not.
    The Sims 3 wasn't really ahead of its time, it's more the Sims 4 has kept it simple.

tumblr_nwo7fubFgy1rfd7lko1_400.gif

I don't get what's so funny. The Sims 4's world concept isn't groundbreaking, and The Sims 3 being Open World isn't ahead of it's time. Most critics said it was expected.
  • Options
    ravamaileravamaile Posts: 168 Member
    I am not surprised at all :)

It seems we are left with natural pools and these poor imitations:
    241.jpg

Nothing to be excited about.
    If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently. (c) - @SimGuruDrake (LINK)
    Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. (c) - @SimGuruMax (LINK)
  • Options
    asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I'm not at all surprised. The way the game's worlds work would simply not allow for it. If anything, TS4 may be lucky to get TS2 styled beaches. They were very specific lots where your Sim would only be able to swim in a VERY small, confined area. It was nothing more than a glorified pool.

MTS_Irma-704432-DC_Back_1.jpg

Then Sims 3 came along and completely blew the beach experience out of the water (pun intended). Take a look -- this entire area you are able to swim in. You could swim to far off islands, take a boat and quickly navigate around, ride a houseboat, go deep-sea diving, etc. And this is only a tiny portion of this world. The Sims 4 is simply not capable of this.

670?cb=20130405145520

All in all, this game is INCREDIBLY limited when put next to both of its predecessors, The Sims 2, and especially The Sims 3. EA is better at coming up with excuse Tweets than creating a fun life simulation that truly innovates upon its predecessors.

This is what I was afraid of for TS4. We may not even get to scuba dive. What about mermaids? The kraken? Boating? What would be the point of houseboats then? Will we even need a lifeguard? So we may just get a lot with a "pool" and call it a beach? :(

• Options
    @Ifreshyeh wrote: »
    @jackjack_k There are a lot of things in TS4 that don't follow reality. I don't see why it has to suddenly be applied here. Also, there's tons to do in shallow water. It's not just for swimming.

If you don't want Sims clipping through the ground, it would need to follow reality.

And I don't believe EA have said anything about other activities. They mentioned Swimming, so that's all I'm talking about.
    @QDog wrote: »
    The only parts of Windenburg that are deep enough for swimming is the Old Town and Modern District, which would look a bit sillily and in real life, would be banned.

(...)
    Also, Windenburg doesn't have proper beaches it's just near the ocean.

The island in Widenburg does have proper beaches. And they would definitely be swimable in real life too (if they're deep enough for Nessie they must be deep enough for our sims...)

CUglpZGUcAAycwQ.png

If you go into TAB mode, the water is shallow until the very edge. It's not a swimming beach, people don't swim in those areas in real life either.

Slide5.jpg
    If it was deep enough for fake boats and seamonsters - why is it not deep enough for sims? All this game has actually is .... EXCUSES!

The fake boats and steam monsters are much further in the distance. And I don't get how they are fake, and the lighthouse or boats in the Sims 3 are any more "real".

And it's not an excuse. I know YOU in particular would have a field day, if EA let Sims swim in shallow water where you can see them clipping through the ground. Let's be honest here, you know you would.
  • Options
    I'm not at all surprised. The way the game's worlds work would simply not allow for it. If anything, TS4 may be lucky to get TS2 styled beaches. They were very specific lots where your Sim would only be able to swim in a VERY small, confined area. It was nothing more than a glorified pool.

Then Sims 3 came along and completely blew the beach experience out of the water (pun intended). Take a look -- this entire area you are able to swim in. You could swim to far off islands, take a boat and quickly navigate around, ride a houseboat, go deep-sea diving, etc. And this is only a tiny portion of this world. The Sims 4 is simply not capable of this.

670?cb=20130405145520

All in all, this game is INCREDIBLY limited when put next to both of its predecessors, The Sims 2, and especially The Sims 3. EA is better at coming up with excuse Tweets than creating a fun life simulation that truly innovates upon its predecessors.

This is what I was afraid of for TS4. We may not even get to scuba dive. What about mermaids? The kraken? Boating? What would be the point of houseboats then? Will we even need a lifeguard? So we may just get a lot with a "pool" and call it a beach? :(

Maybe, like in TS1:

51395_full.jpg

In a 2014-2016 game, I have to say: "Oh..the joy!"
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

670?cb=20130405145520

Maybe, like in TS1:

51395_full.jpg

Now I really want to play The Sims 1 and the computer that still runs it for me is broken :')
    pkJ66Kv.png
  • Options
    asouthernwriterasouthernwriter Posts: 1,041 Member

670?cb=20130405145520

Maybe, like in TS1:

51395_full.jpg

Well at least we get the diving board we asked for lol
  • Options
    What happened to being capable of making our dreams and desires come true?

They can, in deep water. Which we don't have yet.

If your dreams and desires are Sims swimming in a glorified puddle, then sorry for quoting xD
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »

Yes, one focuses on being a sims game and a life simulation (aka TS3), the other doesn't (aka TS4).

Actually, The Sims was never about the world. The Sims 3 had the least focus on Life Simulation, seeing as the majority of the game focuses on the world aspect, and "adventures" and "quests".

Most of the "life simulator" content in The Sims 3 isn't new and is just taken from The Sims 2.
    The Sims 3's new content had very little to do with Life Simulation, compared to 1,2 or 4.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    So...This is the strong foundation they were talking about?

Oh...it's a great foundation alright....

demolition_gifs_17.gif

Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh lol
  • Options

670?cb=20130405145520

Maybe, like in TS1:

51395_full.jpg

Well at least we get the diving board we asked for lol

LOL!!! So true tho!

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    @MocaJava wrote: »
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @jackjack_k can't be bothered to quote all your quoting but sorry... you don't get to tell me what is worth being 'angry' about or not. Besides I said I was disappointed, not angry. Also considering that water is just pixels... too shallow as an excuse/reason doesn't work. The hot tub is also too shallow for completely submerged woohoo but it still happens.

I'm just trying to figure out how she knows the water is too shallow since Sims can't go into it. I mean, if a boat can navigate it the water would need to be a certain depth.

Go into TAB mode and you can see how shallow the water is :)
    Where the boats are, is backdrop. Not actual terrain.
  • Options
    @NZsimm3r wrote: »

That's not what I was doing at all.

The water is knee height. Unless you want Sims clipping through the ground, in which everyone will point at EA and yell at them for using water for swimming that's not deep enough.

I'm saying, as a form of discussion, that I would, personally, would be angry if EA made a coastal beach, that was deep, and yet never let us swim. That would be extremely bad.
    It's not so much "ahead of its time" in this regard, it's just every town in The Sims 3 is surrounded by deep ocean whether you like it or not.
    The Sims 3 wasn't really ahead of its time, it's more the Sims 4 has kept it simple.

tumblr_nwo7fubFgy1rfd7lko1_400.gif

I don't get what's so funny. The Sims 4's world concept isn't groundbreaking, and The Sims 3 being Open World isn't ahead of it's time. Most critics said it was expected.

The funny part was probably the understatement of s4 kept it simple. What they did was keeping it even less than simple ;)

But then again, that's just how I interpreted it!
    pkJ66Kv.png
  • Options

Actually they're both Sims games (shocking, I know. It's not like it's in the title) And they just have different focuses on life.

One is a simulator for many different kind of players and the other is a barely finished simulator that only appeals to a small group of its former fans. So in my humble opinion s4 should've been named differently, it's not worthy of being a full Sims game. Maybe they could've named it Sims Community like Sims 3 had Sims Medieval. That might've worked way better...

Only appeals to a small group of fans? The game has surpassed 5 million copies sold. And even if only half of those like it, I'd hardly call that small.

They're both games for many different types of players, just because they don't appeal to the same ones don't make it more or less of a Sims games.

I'm glad you like it, but all I see is universal disappointment in this game. Many bought it and stopped playing all together. Others went back to Sims 3 because the game bored them so much. Figures don't always show the truth. I'm a Sims collector so I had to have the game and seriously try it.

I bet Sims 1, 2 and 3 did better and they kept doing good as long as they lived (except that EA/Maxis already failed at fixing bugs in their previous games...)

If Sims 4 was the first game in the series without the great predecessors it would never have sold so many copies.

Mad or disappointed players are almost always the most vocal on social media, so don't let them fool you. The game continues to have dozens of thousands of players on at a time almost 2 years after release, most games don't even come close to reaching TS4's in their entire lifetime. Comparing TS4's numbers to Steam's. We can see that TS4 remains one of the largest PC games out there.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top