Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Official Trailer for Backyard Stuff + Quarterly teaser

Comments

• HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    SiliClone wrote: »
    By the way, I didn't read all the topic yet but ... no one guessed a new npc from the picture? Cause the elder lady holding the baby looks like a nanny to me...

Have you read at least half of the thread? Camon...

Why else would they shove a baby and old lady there, who's bottle feeding the thing? It's not just going to be the SP, since there's free content in there... somewhere.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    barraakeno wrote: »
    I am VERY afraid of this trailer. The hype train is at MAXIMUM SPEED, and if they don't meet the hype... well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM

What?

What do you know for sure about the teaser? Nothing. Since the "clues" in DO about the T word, people were getting hyped about it. Than they launch a teaser about something (that we are not sure about). It's just... too much hype for something that could go very... "not that much that was expected"

If toddlers were coming they would be on the teaser pronto. There is no hype train even happening.

Honestly, I'm expecting them to announce EP3 at Gamescom, where toddlers, and they can't announce it in the teaser because stupid finance rules, but I'm probably just trying to keep my hopes up.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • sabmicsabmic Posts: 85 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    GrandJury wrote: »

Appreciate the response.

1. So the animations themselves from the link you posted, is the reason why toddlers, an open neighborhood, create a style, so much more is not included in the sequel. THAT is where I'm lost. The Sims is not a indie title and has not only had multiple teams of development, but has also had backing. The link mentioned it was an upgrade..an upgrade in the traditional sense does not throw out its basis..it simply improves upon them. New engines and systems are technical .. Which is why I am still in shock over the DEVELOPMENT of it all.

On a personal level TS4 is a new journey for The Sims. I understand that players loved somethings from the previous iterations and were hoping we would bring them back (I'm speaking more specifically to open world, create a style, create a world) but we decided to try something different with TS4. Our focus was on neighborhoods and making them feel alive and to make sure that the game could be handled on a wide variety of machines, not just the top of the top.
    2. You are right, those titles are campaign based, yes, but I am not comparing apples to oranges. There was nothing like TS2 when it came out - no level of customization or general gameplay could match it. However, in 2016, you have a console game like GTA V and Watch Dogs who added more mapping, NPC, and simulation gameplay, as a BONUS/EXTRA. While the fourth itieration of The Sims cannot even compete with the 2004 release of The Sims 2 in terms of general gameplay and navigation.

Any townie within TS4 is playable, that is not the same for something like GTA or Watch Dogs which are one character player controlled and the rest are NPCs. You aren't living a life in those games, you aren't creating stories, you are playing through a story that has already been mapped out for you with a clear end destination (I'm not including Multi-player in this because most of those are mission based or PvP). So again, apples and oranges.
    3. I was going by the "5 million units pin" that was constantly tweeted by the Gurus, but I guess we can only take what they say with a grain of salt..

I don't recall anyone saying what the pin was for, what I do recall is community speculation on what it could be.
    4. My apologies, you claimed you were part of the communications team.

I am on the communications team but I don't manage our Twitter or FB. I am player communication and run the forums, influencer programs, SimGuru stuff, and anything else that might require a "public face." There are other members on the team that manage our social channels and blogs.
    5. But they go hand in hand..It's exactly like selling kitchen stuff and then pantry stuff. Car stuff and garage stuff. Office stuff and studying stuff.

To be fair, not everyone who studies has an office (I know I don't have an office at home).
    6. The Sims 2 started off with more in it's base than The Sims 4. Neighborhood, lot placement, exc. No doubt it took more time for them to find their footing, but they were also releasing groundbreaking content that was not watered down like Get to Work and Get Together.

We've also expanded our Create a Sim to be more robust than it was in the past, we've even expanded on it to allow for even more customization. Building is much easier now than it was in the past. Get Together included a new system that allows for even more ways to tell stories.
    7. I cannot and will not tell you how to do your job, However, please understand that the wide reception has not been good from a community point of view. It hasn't been since the delay, also Polygon mentioned all of this in it's dismal review of 6.5. I'm seeing things I have never seen before from outsiders of the forum, and that is general concern. The recent FB post proves it, the video rants on YouTube, exc.

Most producers/team management wouldn't even respond, so I appreciate the fact that you took time to do so. I have faith in the series and I have even greater faith in you.
    TS2 = major change/upgrade from TS1.
    TS3 = major change/upgrade from TS2.
    TS4 = major downgrade and exclusion in ways we have never seen before from TS3/TS2.

I'm sure all three games have had to have major upgrades to systems, animation, audio, exc. However they all delivered. TS4 was rushed when it wasn't even close to finished. There is no way that toddlers, an open neighborhood, no loading screens, create a style, exc. Were not included because of the upgrade. Games have never been more complex and more animated than ever before. It was rushed, we all know it.

Good luck with the team.

People tend to look at the reactions they want to see. That isn't to say that any one persons view is wrong. But if you are looking for negative you will find it, if you are looking for positive you will find it. People rant on YouTube all the time for a multitude of reasons and most of the time people are just quick to judge before knowing more information. I watched several of those rant videos after our first seasonal / quarterly teaser - most of them weren't focused on the content we did show as much as voicing what they are personally interested in seeing / knowing. If you look now how many of those who made rant videos stopped making The Sims 4 videos? How many of them did reviews / LPs of Dine Out? Or of Kids Room Stuff? Our seasonal teasers are a new thing and will obviously take some time to get used to (like all new things do) but if people actually give the content a chance they tend to see things differently.

It takes a while for any one whose been a fan of a franchise that has been long running like ours to be open to new experiences.

I'll actually use my own experience as a fan of pokemon for an example:

When I saw that Rotom was taking the place of a Pokedex I wasn't thrilled but I understand that they need to appeal to more than just me. Any time I was skeptical of Pokemon I was pleasantly surprised at the end (though I am still sad they didn't do anything with the Pokewalker outside of HeartGold/SoulSilver but understand why they didn't.)

@SimGuruDrake What I don't understand is why this vision, and all it entails, is still be pursued, if there even is a real vision, and we are not being spoon fed some kind of PR talk. A lot of fans of the series, both short term and long term, are not a fan of it at all. It's understandable drastic changes cannot be seen until the next generation of The Sims (which I have very little hope for, personally, after this mess), but there is no middle ground ever being sought by the developers to try and please both parties, or so it feels like.
    We've also expanded our Create a Sim to be more robust than it was in the past, we've even expanded on it to allow for even more customization. Building is much easier now than it was in the past. Get Together included a new system that allows for even more ways to tell stories.

I'm not trying to nitpick your post at all, but this just shows how little innovation there truly is in The Sims 4. We did get great looking Sims and a great system to accommodate it, but everything, including CAS was dumbed down or simplified to a large extent in the process. I just read this quote, and I myself wonder how EA and the developers could think these few features warrant an entire new generation of The Sims alone. If I copy/paste this to a friend to try to get them to play TS4, I know they will laugh and go back to playing TS3 or TS2.

As a fellow Pokemon fan, Rotom being the pokedex is by no means as drastic as what was done to The Sims. The core of the game remained in that series from Generation 1 up to this new game coming out, Generation 7, more than a decade after the first release. The vision and core of the game was NEVER changed, only vastly improved upon, and I can say confidently, if things were drastically changed for the worse, GameFreak would not continue to shove their faulted vision down their loyal fans' throats. I wouldn't even expect such a thing to occur from that studio, but I digress.

*claps for days*
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    By the way, I didn't read all the topic yet but ... no one guessed a new npc from the picture? Cause the elder lady holding the baby looks like a nanny to me...

Why else would they shove a baby and old lady there, who's bottle feeding the thing? It's not just going to be the SP, since there's free content in there... somewhere.

-.-

That re-enforces my point. I'm not saying it isn't a possibility, but in fact that people have guessed this way before this was on page 10.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Pretty lame they even bother putting sunblock on Bob Pancakes when there isn't even weather. Don't let me get started on the lack weather .. :|
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)

@SimGuruDrake What I don't understand is why this vision, and all it entails, is still be pursued, if there even is a real vision, and we are not being spoon fed some kind of PR talk. A lot of fans of the series, both short term and long term, are not a fan of it at all. It's understandable drastic changes cannot be seen until the next generation of The Sims (which I have very little hope for, personally, after this mess), but there is no middle ground ever being sought by the developers to try and please both parties, or so it feels like.

I'm not trying to nitpick your post at all, but this just shows how little innovation there truly is in The Sims 4. We did get great looking Sims and a great system to accommodate it, but everything, including CAS was dumbed down or simplified to a large extent in the process. I just read this quote, and I myself wonder how EA and the developers could think these few features warrant an entire new generation of The Sims alone. If I copy/paste this to a friend to try to get them to play TS4, I know they will laugh and go back to playing TS3 or TS2.

As a fellow Pokemon fan, Rotom being the pokedex is by no means as drastic as what was done to The Sims. The core of the game remained in that series from Generation 1 up to this new game coming out, Generation 7, more than a decade after the first release. The vision and core of the game was NEVER changed, only vastly improved upon, and I can say confidently, if things were drastically changed for the worse, GameFreak would not continue to shove their faulted vision down their loyal fans' throats. I wouldn't even expect such a thing to occur from that studio, but I digress.

You are not personally a fan of the version. You do not speak for the entire player base. If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently.

Also my example with Pokemon wasn't to compare to the The Sims. It was an example of me, as a player, not liking a specific choice in content which is exactly what is happening here. Loyal fans don't stick around forever, I've known plenty of friends who were super into pokemon and now its no longer their cup of tea. Which is why they make changes to appeal to more players by incorporating things from other games to try and gauge whether they are interested or not.

This next comment isn't directly towards you but to a comment I saw but can't seem to find regarding "not all players have data turned on in Origin": Why wouldn't you want us to see how you are using content?
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake if you really wanna know how people feel and what they want, you should make a poll on twitter and ask EVERY PLAYER their opinion. It would be interesting to see what the results you'd get... (PS: I'm outlining "every player" because to some of as it doesn't seem fair that polls are being sent to only a small sample of players which makes it statistically inaccurate)

Not every player is on Twitter or Facebook or the Forums or Reddit so to do that would give inaccurate information (also people can easily create multiple accounts to lean voting in their favor.)

Hmm, no disrespect indented here, couldn't the same argument be presented for the stats you so happily posted previously with the intention to prove the reception was positive?

I used those posts specifically as they had visible stats on hand. Did I say they represent a large majority? No. But I did say that X amount of people follow our FB page and X amount of people follow our Twitter to compare the conversation numbers.

I know what you said, I read it. However, X amount of people can be people with multiple accounts. It's quite easy to do, all one needs is multiple email accounts. So those stats could quite possibly be skewed and should not be used as a sign of anything really.

You're correct there could be multiple accounts by people which is why I compared all available data on that page to show that considering the high number of people that follow us versus the number of conversations happening it clearly can't be stated that a "majority" is being vocal about something when that isn't the cause. The same thing can be said for this thread: The number of posts does not equal the number of individual people speaking here.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member

You are not personally a fan of the version. You do not speak for the entire player base. If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently.

Also my example with Pokemon wasn't to compare to the The Sims. It was an example of me, as a player, not liking a specific choice in content which is exactly what is happening here. Loyal fans don't stick around forever, I've known plenty of friends who were super into pokemon and now its no longer their cup of tea. Which is why they make changes to appeal to more players by incorporating things from other games to try and gauge whether they are interested or not.

This next comment isn't directly towards you but to a comment I saw but can't seem to find regarding "not all players have data turned on in Origin": Why wouldn't you want us to see how you are using content?

I know that is not to Me, But I don't have My info on in origin, cause I do not trust most, so I keep My stuff private, that is the only reason I could think of to not have any info on in origin, for Me that is, to many can not be trusted as I have learned the hard way in life.
    @SimGuruDrake if you really wanna know how people feel and what they want, you should make a poll on twitter and ask EVERY PLAYER their opinion. It would be interesting to see what the results you'd get... (PS: I'm outlining "every player" because to some of as it doesn't seem fair that polls are being sent to only a small sample of players which makes it statistically inaccurate)

Not every player is on Twitter or Facebook or the Forums or Reddit so to do that would give inaccurate information (also people can easily create multiple accounts to lean voting in their favor.)

Hmm, no disrespect indented here, couldn't the same argument be presented for the stats you so happily posted previously with the intention to prove the reception was positive?

I used those posts specifically as they had visible stats on hand. Did I say they represent a large majority? No. But I did say that X amount of people follow our FB page and X amount of people follow our Twitter to compare the conversation numbers.

I know what you said, I read it. However, X amount of people can be people with multiple accounts. It's quite easy to do, all one needs is multiple email accounts. So those stats could quite possibly be skewed and should not be used as a sign of anything really.

You're correct there could be multiple accounts by people which is why I compared all available data on that page to show that considering the high number of people that follow us versus the number of conversations happening it clearly can't be stated that a "majority" is being vocal about something when that isn't the cause. The same thing can be said for this thread: The number of posts does not equal the number of individual people speaking here.

GuruDrake. Do you think this game is fun? Having played the last games of this franchise...seriously. :|
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Backyard stuffpack will probably add fun activities like hammocks,basketball,more pool items etc but they can't show the new gameplay yet.

I'm personally looking forward to this pack.
    Backyard stuffpack will probably add fun activities like hammocks,basketball,more pool items etc but they can't show the new gameplay yet.

Keep dreaming. :| I bet the premium item will be a slide of some sort.

Luv your Pic, so cute :)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    meeoun wrote: »

Keep dreaming. :| I bet the premium item will be a slide of some sort.

Hopefully pool slides.

Because *I* don't want EA to go through a whole load of extra data on my pc unrelated to the sims 4 data that you have to agree to if you play with data on. Also I've found having the internet on inevitably slows the game. So many times origin has been the issue when you run into issues with the game-case in point. First time people approached EA support during TS3 they would be told to turn off the internet to help the game run better.

Now so let me pin this down from some of the comments so far today. Is it now EA's position that you only care to listen to people who praise your work and don't want to hear from the loyal customers who through no fault of their own had content most beloved to them thrown out of the game? And how does your data tell you who wants content you've not provided the potential for in game? How does your data tell you players like @Writin_Reg have stopped playing as they most enjoy to accommodate your game as you aren't offering what she enjoys and instead playing as is available? Relying so heavily on your data isn't giving you a full picture at all.

This is not people just falling out of love with the sims. This is EA excluding them by not offering the features they loved most in the sims.

All good question's Yup, :)
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Is the sound byte on the teaser also a clue of what's to come? I feel like at the end of it, there is a happy child that could be using, maybe, a pool slide? Or, perhaps, some other enjoyable "yard" object? Just an innocent guess. :smiley:
    #Team Occult
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member

I'm trying but the forum keeps giving me the maintenance page and this is not helping at all.
  • IanamusIanamus Posts: 101 Member
    I am VERY afraid of this trailer. The hype train is at MAXIMUM SPEED, and if they don't meet the hype... well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM

What?

What do you know for sure about the teaser? Nothing. Since the "clues" in DO about the T word, people were getting hyped about it. Than they launch a teaser about something (that we are not sure about). It's just... too much hype for something that could go very... "not that much that was expected"

If toddlers were coming they would be on the teaser pronto. There is no hype train even happening.

Honestly, I'm expecting them to announce EP3 at Gamescom, where toddlers, and they can't announce it in the teaser because plum finance rules, but I'm probably just trying to keep my hopes up.

There is a possibility. If it's being released at, say, the start of the next quarter it would make no sense to only announce it in a seasonal preview the week before.

That said, I am really not getting my hopes up after this disappointment.