This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Simguru Daniels response about oceans in sims 4

Comments

• Options
    baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 574 Member
    That answer makes me sad. I was so sure that we could one day swim for example in the lakes of Granite Falls. I hope it won't be necessary to create a new world for snow and another one for rain.

The answer also implies that they are not working on that project now and are not even thinking about it.

probably be like sims 2 where the world stayed the same but each individual lot was a different season

or a newly made world where it all changes at once

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I think they will be able to do another world and build inside it a huge natural pool as ocean.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited August 2016
    @inmyeye Awesome pics especially the first with the grassy cliff reflection, I love IP.But seriously,you had to bust out the speedo wearing windsurfer :D MY EYES!!!!

Now to everyone else.

You all keep talking about swimming in Sims 3 but are leaving something out.Do not forget to tell those that we can also choose any spot in water not just Isla Paradiso and make secluded mansions on a island or lonely Gilligan Island huts to live in.Yupp I seriously can build a custom island anywhere I want in a few minutes.Also made a shipwrecked Pirate Ship on a lot I placed in random water wherever I wanted.

We not only swim in water, play in the shallows and beaches but we can turn water far from society into lots to live on.

Screenshot-587_zpsxuactuzt.jpg

Screenshot-585_zps33g2grwi.jpg

This I just plopped in the middle of nowhere

Screenshot-986_zpsduw60fnh.jpg

This game was extremely ahead of its time.

I personally don't think it was ahead of its time because at its time there was nothing to compare it to. There was no other life simulation being developed simultaneously to compare its supposed "being ahead of time" against.

Even now TS4 is the only major life simulation being developed. There is nothing being developed simultaneously "in this time" to compare TS4 with in regards to any game being "ahead of its time".

I think it's more fair to say TS3 is more advanced in the areas you've highlighted.

However, I wouldn't say it's fair to compare it to TS4 now because the features you're pointing out came around four years (I think) into TS3's development and TS4 is only 2 years in development.

Not targeting you by the way, it's just that I saw another similar comment about TS3 being ahead of its time earlier in the thread and it didn't make sense to me :)

Edit: rearranged some things.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    double post
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Well he's right about the terrain. If sims were able to walk into bodies of water surely they'd hardcore clip through the ground and possibly fall out of the world. There is literally no actual ocean terrain in water, it's a really low definition grass texture. Go into free-cam mode and see for yourself. (Windenburg, specifically)
    [/list]

Exactly the case, but of course, everyone wants a Sims 4 Pity party, so comments with reason like this, are going to be ignored.

The Sims 3 has an advantage of world aspects, there's no disputing that. But the Sims 4 was never about the "worlds". Neither was The Sims 1 and 2.

It was a selling point of 3.

Which makes s4 a downgraded game. Many great aspects from The Sims 2 and 3 disappeared but it didn't add much in my opinion. Yeahh silly walks... and emotions that are shallow in my humble opinion.

No it doesn't. Not focusing on the world aspect, doesn't make it downgraded.
    The Sims 2 didn't focus on worlds at all, and it's regarded as the best Sims game ever.

Devs have already said they have barely scratched the surface of what The Sims 4 has to offer.

In two years, barely scratching what this game has to offer is just silly. What are they doing, waiting for the game to reach it's final year mark and release the best EP? It's like asking for us not to give them money.

And TS2 had toddlers, actual teens, much greater detail, actual retail stores you could buy from, carpools, NPC's we are still yet to have!! Terrain and pond tools, multi level windows and foundations that aren't for the whole lot.

And TS3 had Cast and traits as a selling point as well, which I might add, are much better done there than in TS4. And guess what, toddlers weren't sacrificed in the name of anything, yet in TS4 it seems everything was sacrificed in the name of musical chairs, clipping and dancing emotions.

THe previous 3 games weren't also told to turn 4-5 years of work on an MMO, into a singleplayer game in a year. BUt I guess that pesky fact keeps getting in the way

And? Is not EA a multi-billion dollar corporation? So what you're saying is that it was right of EA to foist the development costs of their failed attempt at creating a Sims mmo on their customers by releasing a rushed, premium priced, bare The Sims 4? And we all should be understanding of EA and accept that this bare, stripped down and limited game is what we deserve; that there was no way whatsoever EA could have absorbed those costs and created a new Sims game from scratch?

We need to understand that poor EA could not afford to develop a proper feature packed The Sims 4. But it is okay EA, we your customers will pay for your failed attempt at a Sims mmo and be grateful for whatever you can give us. Quality doesn't matter; value for money doesn't matter. As your customers, all we care about is making sure your shareholders keep getting their big dividends.

As a customer I do not care what went on behind the scenes. I do not care that they wasted years of development time and money. I should not have to pay for that. All I care about is the end product and it is shoddy, rushed, content lacking and featureless.

Anyone who makes excuses for EA or is understanding, is being plum. Corporations do not deserve pity; they are merciless and will prey on customers like that.

I honestly do not understand some of you people. It is like you want to be ripped off. It is like you do not want a feature packed game.

it's a strange occurrence in video game communities some people tend to defend the company to the death when it comes to their favourite game

people seem to forget they are consumers

• Options
    emyprice95emyprice95 Posts: 344 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    well... that's disappointing. ts3 was ahead of its time, apparently.

It is also worth noting that Daniel has hinted that the next EP wouldn't be a 'summer theme' as some players had suggested as swimming in the sea would be a must for a summer EP.

When did he say this? I've just been looking through his tweets and I can't find any that imply anything about what EP3's theme will or won't be.

I'm a CC Creator and family player that is super hyped that toddlers are back! :smiley:

My simblr is Emy the Gamer
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @emyprice95 - I don't think he has said that - I think that @king_of_simcity7 is inferring that the next EP won't be summer themed because Daniel doesn't make it sound like swimmable oceans are being worked on.
  • Options
    emyprice95emyprice95 Posts: 344 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    @emyprice95 - I don't think he has said that - I think that @king_of_simcity7 is inferring that the next EP won't be summer themed because Daniel doesn't make it sound like swimmable oceans are being worked on.

That makes sense.

I really think that EP3 could be anything at this point, I haven't really seen any really convincing hints as to what it could be. I'm really curious to see what it will be. I hope that it's amazing. :smiley:
    I'm a CC Creator and family player that is super hyped that toddlers are back! :smiley:

My simblr is Emy the Gamer
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Are. You. Kidding. Me!

We had oceans in Sims 3, working oceans (Seasons) for a game that's older and it's not possible to change some terrains to make sure every world is updated. Come on, I feel like they don't even really want to bother at this point.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited August 2016
    I still maintain there will be either some form of weather, or toddlers, or both before the end of the year.

I think they won't be able to update the existing sims to have a toddler stage, but there will be a different life form so that you will be able to turn a baby into a toddler using a potion or some aspiration points or something. Then when you want them to become a normal sim again so they can age up into a child there will also be some potion for that. (I think I might be joking actually...)
  • Options
    PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    I think this mod makes it able for sims to go swimming in lakes Idk, but it's worth a try if anyone wants to use it?
    modthesims.info/download.php?t=574738
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,046 Member
    I'm not surprised.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    Did EA not test this theory before making this game? seriously!
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,046 Member
    Did EA not test this theory before making this game? seriously!
    They don't seem to be planning ahead at all, just adding things ad hoc, that's why they have such problems adding things.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @CravenLestat beautiful pictures of the Islands :smile:

When is that game coming out? It looks quite good! :tongue:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited August 2016

I honestly do not understand some of you people. It is like you want to be ripped off. It is like you do not want a feature packed game.

Million dollar question. (Although, not really a question lol, but still)

--T
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Ohh. You could swim everywhere in Sims 3 in basegame straight away? That actually sounds nice :)
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @SilentKitty - No, you couldn't. Swimmable oceans were patched in a few years into the game.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    @SilentKitty - No, you couldn't. Swimmable oceans were patched in a few years into the game.

Ohh thank you.

I misunderstood it then, I got the impression that it had been available all the time .
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited August 2016
    But they were back-patched - ie the existing worlds became swimmable.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    You know seeing these makes all the whole "This engine is a great foundation for the future!" damage control PR nonsense during pre-release hilarious and sad in hindsight.

If they can't even add functioning oceans to existing worlds (Windenburg's ocean is wasted) then how are they gonna handle seasons? People give a ton of flak for TS3's engine for lagging but at least it did things and took newer features well - by contrast all TS4's engine seems to be capable of are group interactions and that's it.

It really explains all the early party-centric packs.

Exactly.

Seasons probably will be tied to certain ''worlds'' like a winter world. Really intuitive and tactile. Otherwise they have to repaint all the backdrops of every world for every season.

The Sims 4
    Too hard, too much work, too expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top