Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simguru Daniels response about oceans in sims 4

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Bagoas77 wrote: »
    well... that's disappointing. ts3 was ahead of its time, apparently.

It's not so much "ahead of its time" in this regard, it's just every town in The Sims 3 is surrounded by deep ocean whether you like it or not.

In the Sims 4, there's only two Neighborhoods where the water is deep. And they are in areas where in the real world, you wouldn't swim.

The Sims 3 wasn't really ahead of its time, it's more the Sims 4 has kept it simple.

I do wish The Sims 4 took a leaf out of The Sims 3 Pets on 3DS. Your home lot is not open, but downtown areas are.
    That's a bit disappointing tbh since Windenburg has so much ocean but oh well

The only parts of Windenburg that are deep enough for swimming is the Old Town and Modern District, which would look a bit sillily and in real life, would be banned.
    @ebuchala wrote: »
    That makes sense, really, given the discussion here about routing: possible, but would they put the dev budget to that? Maybe not so much. Personally, I could live with not having the ocean swimming in existing worlds, mainly because I've been to enough places on oceanfront where one does not swim. But he's sure left room to suggest that we could have swimmable oceans in new worlds!

Other than the lake areas in Granite Falls, I feel the same. Windenburg looks too dang cold for swimming (I know it's not but it has more of a chilly vibe to me). That one area near the waterfall in Oasis Springs looks gorgeous but I could also see something like that being made unavailable as too dangerous or too damaging.

If they add new worlds with swimmable areas, I'd be quite happy with that. Especially if we got some really nice vacation worlds.

The lake in Granite Falls is shallow. You'd end up kicking around some fish :p
    That answer makes me sad. I was so sure that we could one day swim for example in the lakes of Granite Falls. I hope it won't be necessary to create a new world for snow and another one for rain.

The answer also implies that they are not working on that project now and are not even thinking about it.

The lake in Granite Falls is shallow. You'd end up kicking around some fish :p

Since it's a Vacation world though, and such a small area of water, the developers may reconsider reworking that one area of water. Just to make the selling point of OR higher
    @mrnhmath wrote: »
    The cost of static, pre-fabricated "worlds" came.

This has nothing to do with anything. None of the pre-existing worlds have water deep enough.

There are some user made Sims 3 worlds that have shallow water for ages in which Sims can only walk through.

It's just simply EA made every Sims 3 world with deep oceans surrounding it. The same thing would have happened even in The worlds in 3.

Also, the worlds in 4 are hardly static, there's usually Sims walking around the entire areas. In 3, no one just "walks down the street" they just "poof" on the lot with a fake car.

The Sims 3 on Wii is the only version of The Sims 3 where there are people EVERYWHERE on the whole map at once.
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

Let's not forget that ocean swimming wasn't even possible until seasons "The Eighth Expansion" several years after base game release...The Sims 4 was born to great controversy only two years ago...let's gain three more years of "Why did they do that?" moments before we beg for ocean swimming! Besides I can't imagine swimming in oasis springs or willow creek due to the shallow waters unless you like playing "wet footsies"!

Yeah, if you go into TAB mode, the waters in the lakes etc are extremely shallow.

Also, Windenburg doesn't have proper beaches it's just near the ocean.
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    That is disappointing. I had hoped that if ocean swimming became available that it would be open to all the areas where sims can walk along the waters edge. Especially in Granite Falls waterfall area... it just looks so perfect for swimming. :disappointed: Just another area where TS4 is letting me down.

Too shallow.

I would be upset if EA made a beach world and then said we would never be able to swim. That would be worth getting angry over (because that would be an oversight) but none of the water in 4 is deep enough. As someone else said, you'd be playing footsies.
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    I want Ocean swimming and I hope they give us this back, I dont care how but bring it back darn it..
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    QDog wrote: »
    So...This is the strong foundation they were talking about?

And I actually believed them this time around... :'(

On a more serious note, I prefer not knowing what they're having problems with implementing for this game... It just brings more disappointment before a feature is even introduced to the game...
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    Well he's right about the terrain. If sims were able to walk into bodies of water surely they'd hardcore clip through the ground and possibly fall out of the world. There is literally no actual ocean terrain in water, it's a really low definition grass texture. Go into free-cam mode and see for yourself. (Windenburg, specifically)
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    If it was deep enough for fake boats and seamonsters - why is it not deep enough for sims? All this game has actually is .... EXCUSES!

Oh yeah! I didn't even think about it like that! Why is it ok for steamboats and "cupcake" cute monsters to take the dive deep but not our Sims. Is this what a "Sim" version of a "double standard" looks like?
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    So...This is the strong foundation they were talking about?

And they said "for years to come"....what is this foundation made out of cement.....??!?
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,460 Member
    That answer makes me sad. I was so sure that we could one day swim for example in the lakes of Granite Falls. I hope it won't be necessary to create a new world for snow and another one for rain.

The answer also implies that they are not working on that project now and are not even thinking about it.

No it isn't implying that.

Dear @catloverplayer : "We'd probably have to make new terrain specifically for that purpose." How much more grammatical irrealis can you put in a sentence??

What I mean is that doesn't mean their not working on a vacation world with a swimmable ocean. He just means existing home world oceans won't be swimmable.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I'm not at all surprised. The way the game's worlds work would simply not allow for it. If anything, TS4 may be lucky to get TS2 styled beaches. They were very specific lots where your Sim would only be able to swim in a VERY small, confined area. It was nothing more than a glorified pool.

MTS_Irma-704432-DC_Back_1.jpg

Then Sims 3 came along and completely blew the beach experience out of the water (pun intended). Take a look -- this entire area you are able to swim in. You could swim to far off islands, take a boat and quickly navigate around, ride a houseboat, go deep-sea diving, etc. And this is only a tiny portion of this world. The Sims 4 is simply not capable of this.

670?cb=20130405145520

All in all, this game is INCREDIBLY limited when put next to both of its predecessors, The Sims 2, and especially The Sims 3. EA is better at coming up with excuse Tweets than creating a fun life simulation that truly innovates upon its predecessors.

For the existing Worlds, but the future worlds could be capable. I mean it would be pretty unless for the bodies of water to be swimmable anyway, just as pools are useless, nothing really to do to keep me entertain to say the least.

All I'm saying is the day they introduce a world with swimmable bodies of water, Jet Skiing ought to come with it.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @jackjack_k can't be bothered to quote all your quoting but sorry... you don't get to tell me what is worth being 'angry' about or not. Besides I said I was disappointed, not angry. Also considering that water is just pixels... too shallow as an excuse/reason doesn't work. The hot tub is also too shallow for completely submerged woohoo but it still happens.

I'm just trying to figure out how she knows the water is too shallow since Sims can't go into it. I mean, if a boat can navigate it the water would need to be a certain depth.
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I'm not at all surprised. The way the game's worlds work would simply not allow for it. If anything, TS4 may be lucky to get TS2 styled beaches. They were very specific lots where your Sim would only be able to swim in a VERY small, confined area. It was nothing more than a glorified pool.

MTS_Irma-704432-DC_Back_1.jpg

Then Sims 3 came along and completely blew the beach experience out of the water (pun intended). Take a look -- this entire area you are able to swim in. You could swim to far off islands, take a boat and quickly navigate around, ride a houseboat, go deep-sea diving, etc. And this is only a tiny portion of this world. The Sims 4 is simply not capable of this.

670?cb=20130405145520

All in all, this game is INCREDIBLY limited when put next to both of its predecessors, The Sims 2, and especially The Sims 3. EA is better at coming up with excuse Tweets than creating a fun life simulation that truly innovates upon its predecessors.

Preach it
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    Here's an idea...expand existing worlds and add new areas of ocean we can swim in.
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

How does that mean anything? All it means it that they had different focuses.

Yes, one focuses on being a sims game and a life simulation (aka TS3), the other doesn't (aka TS4).

Actually they're both Sims games (shocking, I know. It's not like it's in the title) And they just have different focuses on life.
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    Here's an idea...expand existing worlds and add new areas of ocean we can swim in.

Daniel Hiatt said that making new terrain for that purpose in existing worlds is unlikely. Sounds like "complexity is our enemy," all over again.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top