This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Simguru Daniels response about oceans in sims 4

1234568...Next

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,638 Member
    edited August 2016
    To7m wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    well... that's disappointing. ts3 was ahead of its time, apparently.

How does that mean anything? All it means it that they had different focuses.

Man, I have to laugh at some of you. You guys literally have an answer for everything.

Like c'non people, open your eyes. Everything we ask for gets a 'no' or 'the engine can't do that' or 'not possible this time around'... How are you still defending this thing? It is NOTHING like a Sims game should be. The only thing we all seem to do is make compromises for it. Well, I've had enough. Personally swimming in the ocean is nowhere on my list of priorities but this is actually laughable. It's so basic yet this amazing, advanced game can't handle it? Yuh, ok!

--T

SimGuruGraham did not say "no" or "the engine can't do that" or "not possible this time around." That is not what was said about the ocean swimming. Nothing whatsoever in his statement even comes close to suggesting that.

Maybe not to you.

I have a different intake on the guru's statement. Not being able to edit the current worlds so our sims are able to swim in the oceans might as well be not being able to edit them at all. What good is it to me?

Like, there's all these limitations and cut offs and compromises. I won't apologise for not being ok with that.

They're trying to sell some second rate game. I'm not ok with that. Hard as it may seem to most of you I do like this game. At least what it could be if they did it right. I think it looks fantastic. Like a Pixar film, I actually love it. I want to play it. But I'm also not willing to accept mediocre stuff. Which is what this game is.

--T

Your "intake" is possible if you misread his words. He didn't say or even suggest that they aren't able to edit the current worlds. That didn't happen. You don't have to like the game - honestly, I doubt any Sims 4 player here cares if you do or not - but you could try not making stuff up about what was said.

(edited to fix a typo)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,046 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    I've said this before, but it has dawned on me that this is the game we've got, and whatever game we wish we had won't happen with this iteration. This is it, folks. We might get new features and objects and stuff. But it will still be this game. This is as good as it's gonna get with this iteration. The devs can't perform miracles, and we shouldn't expect them to. I've been in denial for such a long time, not wanting to let go of the dream, but for my sanity's sake, and for my wallet, I have to learn to accept the truth. The game is what it is. I will keep playing sporadically with what I've got, but as for spending more money on it; nah, not likely going to happen. I guess I've finally reached the end of the stages of grief.
    The Sims is dead, long live The Sims.
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I am pretty much enjoying what there is, but I had to decide to let go of my grief for what I had hoped it would be. I knew it was a choice between that or skipping TS4 altogether. I am just playing it as a different game.

These both comments sound like you guys would've been okay with it if it hadn't been The Official Sims 4, Successor of The Sims, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. Just as I said, the moment they realised their MMO plans weren't working they should've stopped making it the official successor. They could've named it The Sims Community and worked on on a worthy successor.

If they had said, 'Dear fans, we're sorry but the game didn't work out the way we wanted it to, or the way you'd wanted it to. We decided to make it a minor game in the Sims franchise so we can start over and work on a real successor. In the mean time we give you this Sims '...' for €30,- (or dollars offcourse).'

They'd still been able to save the series! I know I would've respected that decision. I've always been positive about the Sims Stories and the Sims Medieval and all. And I appreciate a company that really wants the best for me, their customer.

As much as I would have wanted them to be honest, I'm not sure it means I would have been okay with it. Even though I am accepting the situation as it is, I'm not really okay with it. If they had been honest, I simply wouldn't have bought the game at all. I've learned my lesson. Next time around, I wont' be buying a game or packs by hope of what might come. Maxis has expended my trust and loyalty as a consumer. It's simple, really. My gaming spending money will go somewhere else. If they had been honest though, I would have waited for the next installment instead, and my trust would have been saved.

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited August 2016

Man, I have to laugh at some of you. You guys literally have an answer for everything.

Like c'non people, open your eyes. Everything we ask for gets a 'no' or 'the engine can't do that' or 'not possible this time around'... How are you still defending this thing? It is NOTHING like a Sims game should be. The only thing we all seem to do is make compromises for it. Well, I've had enough. Personally swimming in the ocean is nowhere on my list of priorities but this is actually laughable. It's so basic yet this amazing, advanced game can't handle it? Yuh, ok!

--T

SimGuruGraham did not say "no" or "the engine can't do that" or "not possible this time around." That is not what was said about the ocean swimming. Nothing whatsoever in his statement even comes close to suggesting that.

Maybe not to you.

I have a different intake on the guru's statement. Not being able to edit the current worlds so our sims are able to swim in the oceans might as well be not being able to edit them at all. What good is it to me?

Like, there's all these limitations and cut offs and compromises. I won't apologise for not being ok with that.

They're trying to sell some second rate game. I'm not ok with that. Hard as it may seem to most of you I do like this game. At least what it could be if they did it right. I think it looks fantastic. Like a Pixar film, I actually love it. I want to play it. But I'm also not willing to accept mediocre stuff. Which is what this game is.

--T

Your "intake" is possible if you misread his words. He didn't say or even suggest that the they aren't able to edit the current worlds. That didn't happen. You don't have to like the game - honestly, I doubt any Sims 4 player here cares if you do or not - but you could try not making stuff up about what was said.

ETA: misread that, my mistake. Actually think I need an eye test.

Secondly; he said they can't edit the current worlds so that the ocean would be accessible to our sims, correct?

Then they can't edit the worlds. End of.

That's how I see it.

It's a limitation. An excuse. Something that falls short.

Of course, you're free to be ok with that like you usually are but I don't have to be. So I'll say so. Put me on ignore if you don't like it. Easy.

Not all of us kiss the floor the gurus walk on.

--T

ETA2: like, what if I want to be able to swim in the current oceans in game? I don't want to have to use a certain neighbourhood or whatever they are called now just to gain access to a certain feature. It limits my imagination. Something this game is supposed to do the opposite of.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,660 Member
    He didn't say or even suggest that they aren't able to edit the current worlds. That didn't happen.

Idk about this actually. To me it seems that he answered the question of whether it is "possible to make the ocean routable in TS4 so sims can swim in it" with a pretty direct "unlikely" & that they'd "probably have to make new terrain specifically for that purpose". So in a way, that does mean it's "not likely possible" to do so = they are "unlikely able" to do so. I guess that's why @To7m, not entirely wrongly, stated that they're unable to edit the current worlds. That's just semantics though, but idk, I wanted to throw it out there. :) In the end, whether they are unable to do so because the engine won't allow them to or because they aren't willing to spend money on it, still amounts to an overall inability to do it.

Anyway, I think it's great that you as a long time sims player really do enjoy TS4 as it sometimes makes me hope that, maybe, with the upcoming EP (if they do it right / it appeals to me) I too might get back to a point where I enjoy this game more than it currently disappoints me. But I also understand where To7m is coming from in the sense that it's unnerving to get so many negative responses to player demands. It's true, they never definitively negate anything, but that doesn't change the fact that many of the things they've never assured us 100% aren't coming, still haven't come to TS4. So just like I feel that people shouldn't judge anyone who enjoys TS4 simply because they don't, I also think people shouldn't judge others for finding some Guru statements a bit disappointing and/or disheartening.

Just my two cents. Happy simming to everyone :)

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I love how everyone defending the devs on this thread are going "But they didn't specifically say that!" because it's the devs' absolutely amazing verbal tap dancing doing it's work.

Of course they wouldn't say it outright because it'll negatively affect the sales of the game since everyone and not just people who can read between the lines will know that the game's potential starts and ends with Sims doing things together in a group.

THANK YOU!

Gosh, why didn't I just say that.

--T
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,973 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Mad or disappointed players are almost always the most vocal on social media, so don't let them fool you. The game continues to have dozens of thousands of players on at a time almost 2 years after release, most games don't even come close to reaching TS4's in their entire lifetime. Comparing TS4's numbers to Steam's. We can see that TS4 remains one of the largest PC games out there.

Yep, but those mad and disappointed players don't want to hear this. They don't want to hear a game they don't like is doing well, so they pretend it's doing bad and it's worse than it is.

They want a game that's exactly how they want a Sims game, despite the fact no Sims game is the same and all of them are very different.

The Sims 2 is praised as the best Sims game ever. And yet The Sims 4 has the potential to offer more than what The Sims 2 has (with beach worlds) and people stick their nose up.

It's typical on this site that people dissatisfied with the game, over-do the game's limitations, because it;s more entertaining than playing another Sims game.

The last SimCity also sold well, it still killed the franchise though.
    Yes, initially it sold well but started to decline after all the bugs and the controversy with it being online and the hype that did happen in most cases. SimCity Buildit yes is doing well on the tablet but it is too weak to make it to PC.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    I love how everyone defending the devs on this thread are going "But they didn't specifically say that!" because it's the devs' absolutely amazing verbal tap dancing doing it's work.

Of course they wouldn't say it outright because it'll negatively affect the sales of the game since everyone and not just people who can read between the lines will know that the game's potential starts and ends with Sims doing things together in a group.

The developers can only have one way answer, they aren't going to trash a product they are trying to sell or hurt the company that pays them their salary, that's obvious. Anything that praises the game on their part is a false argument, even if they do love something, they don't have a choice they have to praise it. That's why SimGuruDrake's "I'm really exited for the next EP" is not worth anything, she might be telling the thruth, or not, it doesn't matter, she always has to say she likes it.

The "unlikely" on the tweet, is what it is. It's unlikely so anyone that puts "it's going to happen" on their heads if fooling themselves. Ofc they could make a specific world for it but you'd still have to drop at least a 20 for it, and I bet it would be considered a top notch standalone feature smh. Plus it's not like they have made it. They didn't, they'd probably have to make a new terrain type which means they haven't even tried. What if it brings too many bugs and clipping and they have to cancel any possibilities of it? Like being able to be the chef at your own restaurant?

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »

:s What happened to Ryan Vaughn's promise when he said we have built a strong foundation capable of making every one of those dreams come true..the only reason that I bought the TS4 was because I trusted those words. :s Shame on me.

There was a time I was a firm believer that this game would eventually become the best one in the series. I genuinely trusted Ryan's words. I knew the game was half baked and there were many features that I missed from previous games. But I thought (silly me) that all the missing stuff meant the developers would have more time to develop them fully and better than ever (eg no toddlers could potentially mean we would get toddlers, preteens and maybe even other life stages).

I don't believe in this game anymore. It has dawned on me that this game is what it is and we'll most likely never see that "potential" EA advertised. It's a sad but liberating realization.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,638 Member
    edited August 2016

--T

Maybe not to you.

--T

Your "intake" is possible if you misread his words. He didn't say or even suggest that the they aren't able to edit the current worlds. That didn't happen. You don't have to like the game - honestly, I doubt any Sims 4 player here cares if you do or not - but you could try not making stuff up about what was said.

ETA: misread that, my mistake. Actually think I need an eye test.

Secondly; he said they can't edit the current worlds so that the ocean would be accessible to our sims, correct?

Then they can't edit the worlds. End of.

That's how I see it.

It's a limitation. An excuse. Something that falls short.

Of course, you're free to be ok with that like you usually are but I don't have to be. So I'll say so. Put me on ignore if you don't like it. Easy.

Not all of us kiss the floor the gurus walk on.

--T

ETA2: like, what if I want to be able to swim in the current oceans in game? I don't want to have to use a certain neighbourhood or whatever they are called now just to gain access to a certain feature. It limits my imagination. Something this game is supposed to do the opposite of.

Incorrect. No, he did not say they can't edit the current worlds so that the ocean would be accessible to our Sims. That did not in fact happen.

Not sure why reading what's said or being okay with something is kissing the floor the gurus walk on. I'm plenty critical of the things I don't like in the game, particularly performance-related decisions. I just don't choose to whine about it daily and everywhere, or to toss the game away because of it; the first would be unproductive, and I don't hate it enough to give up the only game I play for it.

What if you want to do a thing you don't get to do? Well, then you don't get everything you want. Happens to all of us. Happens to some people more than others. It's kind of how life goes, you know.

(edited to add a missing end-italics code)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »

:s What happened to Ryan Vaughn's promise when he said we have built a strong foundation capable of making every one of those dreams come true..the only reason that I bought the TS4 was because I trusted those words. :s Shame on me.

It's a marketing strategy to make the players confident in buying their product, it ended up being a lie as we can see as they didn't thought of much in what comes to the future for this game. Is it even possible to add new lifestages? After two years of nothing, maybe not.

But he's out of the loop now, maybe he got the lucky end of the stick.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top