This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Comments

• Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    well... that's disappointing. ts3 was ahead of its time, apparently.

How does that mean anything? All it means it that they had different focuses.
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited August 2016
    We don't even need oceans, we have natural pools. Anything is an ocean if you try hard enough.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Well to be fair you couldn't swim in the sea in TS3 originally but it probably was intended so access to the sea would have been 'disabled' maybe until IP came out.

For TS2 the circumstances might have have been different and the concept was new with Bon Voyage.

But as Sims can swim in swimming pools in TS4 then the option to swim would be possible.

It is also worth noting that Daniel has hinted that the next EP wouldn't be a 'summer theme' as some players had suggested as swimming in the sea would be a must for a summer EP.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    That's a bit disappointing tbh since Windenburg has so much ocean but oh well
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    I'm sure they'll create Ocean lots like they did in Sims 2. I'm not too worried about it, but it doesn't surprise me one little bit. I'd prefer lively gameplay and Sims that do things over the robots in Sims 3. Sims 3 did have a lot, but doesn't change how non-immersive the Sims themselves were.

Sims 4 seems way more lively, even if the traits don't seemingly do anything (which is something I suspect they improve path to patch) I recall several simmers saying over the past two years the the Sims "magically" get more and more detailed as time goes by.

At the end of the day the game is what it is.... we can hope for a Sims 5 influenced 3 open world with Sims 4 concept - because likely that's what it will be.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited August 2016
    That makes sense, really, given the discussion here about routing: possible, but would they put the dev budget to that? Maybe not so much. Personally, I could live with not having the ocean swimming in existing worlds, mainly because I've been to enough places on oceanfront where one does not swim. But he's sure left room to suggest that we could have swimmable oceans in new worlds!

Other than the lake areas in Granite Falls, I feel the same. Windenburg looks too dang cold for swimming (I know it's not but it has more of a chilly vibe to me). That one area near the waterfall in Oasis Springs looks gorgeous but I could also see something like that being made unavailable as too dangerous or too damaging.

If they add new worlds with swimmable areas, I'd be quite happy with that. Especially if we got some really nice vacation worlds.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,058 Member
    edited August 2016
    It would be nice if they could swim some places in Windenburg, like the beaches on the island, and play in the river on the one area there. But, I would love to see swimming in the ocean come back even if it is just in future worlds.... I'd like to see sunbathing and sand castle building, collecting shells and docked houseboat lots. Hot dog and snow cone vendors (kind of like bars with bartenders) Even the possibility of danger swimming in some areas. Lifeguard stands with lifeguards if you request them, and of course real hotels. But please don't just make it an overnight vacation area. It would be nice if we could rent places rather than always buying and go to work from there....
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,701 Member
    That answer makes me sad. I was so sure that we could one day swim for example in the lakes of Granite Falls. I hope it won't be necessary to create a new world for snow and another one for rain.

The answer also implies that they are not working on that project now and are not even thinking about it.

No it isn't implying that.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,638 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    It would be nice if they could swim some places in Windenburg, like the beaches on the island, and play in the river on the one area there. But, I would love to see swimming in the ocean come back even if it is just in future worlds.... I'd like to see sunbathing and sand castle building, collecting shells and docked houseboat lots. Hot dog and snow cone vendors (kind of like bars with bartenders) Even the possibility of danger swimming in some areas. Lifeguard stands with lifeguards if you request them, and of course real hotels. But please don't just make it an overnight vacation area. It would be nice if we could rent places rather than always buying and go to work from there....

Sold :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    That answer makes me sad. I was so sure that we could one day swim for example in the lakes of Granite Falls. I hope it won't be necessary to create a new world for snow and another one for rain.

The answer also implies that they are not working on that project now and are not even thinking about it.

No it isn't implying that.

Dear @catloverplayer : "We'd probably have to make new terrain specifically for that purpose." How much more grammatical irrealis can you put in a sentence??

You have to remember that they won't speak about future content. So even if this was on their radar, they would be very careful not to imply anything either way.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2016
    Hold up.
    He said, "Existing Worlds." so it could happen for future worlds... that's unfortunate for Windenburg tho.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member

Let's not forget that ocean swimming wasn't even possible until seasons "The Eighth Expansion" several years after base game release...The Sims 4 was born to great controversy only two years ago...let's gain three more years of "Why did they do that?" moments before we beg for ocean swimming! Besides I can't imagine swimming in oasis springs or willow creek due to the shallow waters unless you like playing "wet footsies"!
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    edited August 2016
    @catloverplayer We can't surmise much from that statement other than they would need to make new terrains to make oceans swimmable in existing worlds. I agree that they are saying that's unlikely to ever happen. However, since all the worlds are connected in sims 4, there's no reason to assume we could never have swimmable oceans in a new world.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    That is disappointing. I had hoped that if ocean swimming became available that it would be open to all the areas where sims can walk along the waters edge. Especially in Granite Falls waterfall area... it just looks so perfect for swimming. :disappointed: Just another area where TS4 is letting me down.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

This doesn't really bother me.

None of the previous water areas look good for swimming. All the water in Willow Creek, Newcrest, Granite Falls and Oasis Springs is too shallow (it's knee height).

The only areas in Windenburg is the Modern District and Old Town district (which you wouldn't be allowed to swim in real life).

The island's water, however, is too shallow for a great length of space. It only gets deep quite far out.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Yes, even being able to sit at the edge of the water or splash around at the park lakes would've been great, but I'm guessing that ties into the same routable terrain issue
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top