May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Will Be Upset If We Type Out LOL?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2015
    : lol : lol emoji just take out the spaces :lol:
    : -1 : disagree emoji just take out the spaces :-1:

just for extra info -

: +1 : agree/like emoji just remove spaces :+1:

I don't have any thumbs up or down where do we get them? But I can see even this is going to be a problem for some.

ETA: AHAHA Don't you guys just wish you had the lol button laugh at me! ahaha I'm so ignorant. I had to read this like three times to understand how this works. And No, I wouldn't mind you brainy people laughing at my expense because I am also laughing at myself. ROFL
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

just for extra info -

Okay I have to try this.

:-1::+1:

Very nice....thanks
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,806 Member
    Unfortunately, posts have to be a minimum length, and LOL just isn't it. Face/palm. I also miss the disagree button for the same reasons mentioned. I don't always desire to say something, but if a post tickles me, LOL, if I don't agree, disagree, (not that ridiculous zagadoo) I would also like the agree button back, although, at least we still have like. It's odd to me how many are so easily hurt or feel offended if someone doesn't like what they posted. I was taught the old adage, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me". We all need to toughen up a bit. Doesn't mean you have to get so hard that you don't feel anything, but really, walking around getting hurt over every little thing in life is a pretty sad way to be.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    And the new category will be "thumb abuse"....and there will be a new forum rule about not using emoji's to express your opinion.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options

just for extra info -

Okay I have to try this.

Very nice....thanks

o.k. I'm a noob to this type stuff. I will have to have ten cups of coffee to figure this out. LOL
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

just for extra info -

I don't have any thumbs up or down where do we get them? But I can see even this is going to be a problem for some.

You must type a +1 between the : to get the :+1:
    and type -1 between the : to get the :-1:
    do without any spaces between them.

I just think we should be able to express our opinions to a statement without someone blowing it out of proportion by saying it's abuse or trolling.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options

just for extra info -

Okay I have to try this.

Very nice....thanks

o.k. I'm a noob to this type stuff. I will have to have ten cups of coffee to figure this out. LOL

:) okay I know you're like me and need your coffee.

Type : don't leave a space and type - don't leave a space and type 1 don't leave a space and type :

:-1:

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

just for extra info -

You must type a +1 between the : to get the :+1:
    and type -1 between the : to get the :-1:
    do without any spaces between them.

I just think we should be able to express our opinions to a statement without someone blowing it out of proportion by saying it's abuse or trolling.

Thank you, I am on my third cup now, I will get it in a minute. :)
  • Options
    OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    And the new category will be "thumb abuse"....and there will be a new forum rule about not using emoji's to express your opinion.

:+1:
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,101 Member
    The thumbs up and thumbs down symbols are the same as agree and disagree. The agree and disagree buttons were removed. So what do you think is going to happen when people start using thumb symbols to denote agreement and disagreement? Some people are going to report harassment and you're right back where you started. What's the point?
  • Options
    The thumbs up and thumbs down symbols are the same as agree and disagree. The agree and disagree buttons were removed. So what do you think is going to happen when people start using thumb symbols to denote agreement and disagreement? Some people are going to report harassment and you're right back where you started. What's the point?

Did we ever have an agree button?

Well one thing would be removing anonymity. Lots of people have said they wanted to know who was doing it.

Then again none of the mods have said what they feel is or isn't abuse.....so who knows.

• Options
    edited October 2015

just for extra info -

Okay I have to try this.

Very nice....thanks

Type : don't leave a space and type - don't leave a space and type 1 don't leave a space and type :

:+1

ETA: ha ha, I am sooo slow....I will keep trying.

:+1:

ETA: As you can see I forgot to add the last colon at the end and why I didn't get it the first time.
  • Options
    OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    edited October 2015
    :

just for extra info -

Okay I have to try this.

Very nice....thanks

:+1

ETA: ha ha, I am sooo slow....I will keep trying.

Change the 2 to a 1 and try it (just an example of what it would look like, just used the wrong number so it'd show in a post)

:+2:

You almost had it , you just forgot the ":" at the end

I was really surprised with how many Emoji there are. I just typed a colon then one by one used every key on my keyboard and watched what came up with the auto fill function
  • Options

Yes, I think it would also be reported as harassment. So, since we can't express ourselves with emoji s might as well disable them, too. Unless they only disable the negative ones we can type.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    ...and why the "LOL" as well? I always enjoyed making people laugh. From elementary school to today, I still have that twisted sense of humor. I know I had over 500 LOL's before it was cut! Well I'll still keep the laughs going - "LOL" button or not. :tongue:
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    ...and why the "LOL" as well? I always enjoyed making people laugh. From elementary school to today, I still have that twisted sense of humor. I know I had over 500 LOL's before it was cut! Well I'll still keep the laughs going - "LOL" button or not. :tongue:

It was abused? Because someone said it was abused months ago when we no longer had disagree, people were using it to disagree. And I thought to myself so? Can't they disagree? But that thread in June requested bring back disagree so the lol wouldn't be 'abused' as a disagree button. So, we had a vote and majority said yes, keep both. Then since then they said they are both abused. I still say how can we determine intent of laughter? Or a disagree button? Because I can't really get into someone's head I can only 'assume' their 'intent'.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,101 Member

It was abused? Because someone said it was abused months ago when we no longer had disagree, people were using it to disagree. And I thought to myself so? Can't they disagree? But that thread in June requested bring back disagree so the lol wouldn't be 'abused' as a disagree button. So, we had a vote and majority said yes, keep both. Then since then they said they are both abused. I still say how can we determine intent of laughter? Or a disagree button? Because I can't really get into someone's head I can only 'assume' their 'intent'.

@Cinebar, be honest with yourself. I think most of us can discern when the lol button was being used to mock a poster's comment. It was done in both the positive and negative feedback threads.
  • Options
    AlexanderTrin3AlexanderTrin3 Posts: 46 Member
    too bad these forums have been decimated by heavy-handed favoritism. like the game itself... it's just a ghost of its former self.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

@Cinebar, be honest with yourself. I think most of us can discern when the lol button was being used to mock a poster's comment. It was done in both the positive and negative feedback threads.

I don't know about "discern" but I never presume to know what someone else is thinking. I have not yet mastered the ability to read minds.

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    They're more likely to "discern" abuse when the person getting the disagree or LOL is someone who loves The Sims 4, and the person doing the disagreeing or LOL'ing is someone who doesn't.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited October 2015

@simgirl1010, I am being honest with myself. I know I can't look at a post and then see a lol and say 'aha!' whoever clicked that did that to mock the poster. No, what I saw weeks ago before the disagree returned was people may have used it because they didn't have a disagree button in lieu of one. But again, I don't know if they didn't really find the post funny to them.

Here is where I will part ways with people. It doesn't matter how they used it, it was their right to express themselves. Or in case this case I suppose it is EA's right to say No you can't use any button to express yourself. Which is fine, it's their site. However, when we decide 'you can't laugh because it offends'....then we become no better than those who would say everyone must adhere to a conformed hive mind.

ETA: To me what you have said is if someone finds something funny even though you don't they shouldn't push the button. Then it would seem it is true what others say, that it was those who enjoy TS4 more than those who don't that are offended by a disagree and or a lol. I can never say why someone laughed unless they want to tell me, and they don't have to, nor do I need to know who it is. I'm a big girl. And even if I judge why they did, I'm probably going to think jerk anyway and move on. ETA: But honestly I don't have the right to question why they laughed.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    They're more likely to "discern" abuse when the person getting the disagree or LOL is someone who loves The Sims 4, and the person doing the disagreeing or LOL'ing is someone who doesn't.

Well, I will just say this. I had over 2K lols. I doubt I got over 2,000 lols because I was hilarious but I would think it's odd that was o.k. for someone like me who isn't in love with the TS4 to carry that badge and never investigated that I know of how I got them (if I was abused by them) but someone who does like the TS4 more was abused by them. No one can tell me I got all those because I am so funny but it was o.k. for me to have that many for a year and never see it as abuse, maybe because I don't like the TS4 as much as others... (Finish my thought I got interrupted at home) and was abuse to those who liked the game more.
  • Options
    pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2015
    Just wondering if typing out lol is as offensive as getting lolled with a button? Not sure where to put this thread since it's not a forum 'suggestion' and doesn't really belong in that area.

But say you say something and I just write LOL are you going to be offended about that?

ETA: Or Disagree? What is the difference?

It depends on why ur laughing. If I've written a serious, thoughtful response and u laugh at them I'll wonder what's so funny. If I say something that's meant to make u laugh then I'll understand the lol. Or, if ur lol-ing to be condescending then that could be offensive to me.

The difference between typing it out and hitting a button for it is that I know who is laughing if u type it and I can ask u abt it or call u out on it. A button can make it frustrating since you have no idea who pushed it or why (the why is not always obvious).

And just because someone gets offending doesn't mean they're off to report u. Yeah, I wonder how that will go "so-and-so lol'ed at my super serious post. I'm reporting them." The forum mods would roll their eyes at the nonesense. You don't have to walk on egg shells, If anyone is afraid of being offended or called out for their rudeness then this isn't the forum for them, because ppl are going to offend and ppl are going to be called on it. I know I can give as good as I take. I expect ppl to be offended by some things I say and I expect ppl to call me out, and I expect nothing less from some ppl in these forums (I don't think ur one of them based on ur post) and you'd better believe that I do the same. Nothing wrong with it.

I have an issue here. What if I were to make a post that says "I have no friends on here...much like in real life." Can you tell if I'm joking or being serious? No. Does that mean that if my post makes people laugh, that they need to hold in their laughter/show no signs of appreciation for my post because there is a minute chance that I'm being serious? Does them taking my post in any way that is not what I intended mean they're being hurtful or spiteful? I don't think so. We all are shaped by different experiences and view things differently. Doesn't make any opinion less valid or unworthy of expression.

Btw, @Cinebar you (and all others) are free to LOL, disagree, or say whatever you feel is most appropriate to me. I'm a tough cookie. I can handle it.

Edited because my phone hates me.
    Post edited by pythonpunkgirl on
  • Options
    Just wondering if typing out lol is as offensive as getting lolled with a button? Not sure where to put this thread since it's not a forum 'suggestion' and doesn't really belong in that area.

But say you say something and I just write LOL are you going to be offended about that?

ETA: Or Disagree? What is the difference?

It depends on why ur laughing. If I've written a serious, thoughtful response and u laugh at them I'll wonder what's so funny. If I say something that's meant to make u laugh then I'll understand the lol. Or, if ur lol-ing to be condescending then that could be offensive to me.

The difference between typing it out and hitting a button for it is that I know who is laughing if u type it and I can ask u abt it or call u out on it. A button can make it frustrating since you have no idea who pushed it or why (the why is not always obvious).

And just because someone gets offending doesn't mean they're off to report u. Yeah, I wonder how that will go "so-and-so lol'ed at my super serious post. I'm reporting them." The forum mods would roll their eyes at the nonesense. You don't have to walk on egg shells, If anyone is afraid of being offended or called out for their rudeness then this isn't the forum for them, because ppl are going to offend and ppl are going to be called on it. I know I can give as good as I take. I expect ppl to be offended by some things I say and I expect ppl to call me out, and I expect nothing less from some ppl in these forums (I don't think ur one of them based on ur post) and you'd better believe that I do the same. Nothing wrong with it.

I have an issue here. What if I were to make a post that says "I have no friends on here...much like in real life." Can you tell if I'm joking or being serious? No. Does that mean that if my post makes people laugh, that they need to hold in their laughter/show no signs of appreciation for my post because there is a minute chance that I'm being serious? Does them taking my post in any way that is not what I intended mean they're being hurtful or spiteful? I don't think so. We all are shaped by different experiences ave bite things differently. Doesn't make any opinion less valid or unworthy of expression.

Btw, @Cinebar you (and all others) are free to LOL, disagree, or say whatever you feel is most appropriate to me. I'm a tough cookie. I can handle it.

s0826.gif
  • Options
    pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member
    Slawfish wrote: »
    Lolling is offensive if the person didn't say anything obviously funny. If you lol someone for being "ridiculous" (in your opinion), it's offensive. What is the purpose of a lol like that, besides making someone else feel bad?

Humor is highly subjective. What you may find to be obviously not funny I might think is absolutely hysterical. Doesn't mean that either of us is wrong.