Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Will Be Upset If We Type Out LOL?

Comments

• Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited October 2015
    Cinebar wrote: »
    lol I need something new for LOL because it's already getting old typing it out. It really doesn't give the impression someone can't stop laughing either. We need better respond emoji s

Yes <3 I'm always keen for more emojis B)

tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

My page/wall looks naked. I was proud of my disagrees and lols. Do I believe every lol I had was because I am so funny? No, but I liked them. :) ETA: I Just checked my wall and I have created 666 topics. I think I might need to make one more I don't like that number. :o:D
    I miss my disagree and LOL count too. I'm jealous of people who got 30 disagrees. It is like not matter what, I could never get my count that high. *Cries about being offended about not getting enough disagrees.* Ok Simmers mind read that. ;)

After "they" took disagree away people started saying they'd use "Insightful" in place of "Disagree" ..... my "Insightful" count rose quickly after that lol :smiley:

omg, mine did, too. I just thought I was smart. ;)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    edited October 2015

My page/wall looks naked. I was proud of my disagrees and lols. Do I believe every lol I had was because I am so funny? No, but I liked them. :) ETA: I Just checked my wall and I have created 666 topics. I think I might need to make one more I don't like that number. :o:D
    I miss my disagree and LOL count too. I'm jealous of people who got 30 disagrees. It is like not matter what, I could never get my count that high. *Cries about being offended about not getting enough disagrees.* Ok Simmers mind read that. ;)

lol I need something new for LOL because it's already getting old typing it out. It really doesn't give the impression someone can't stop laughing either. We need better respond emoji s

You could use this
    Bol7WCJ.jpg

I don't know, I though it was funny when I saw it, but I like weird stuff.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    I hit 'insightful' on everything I approve of. 'Awesome' is the button I use to make fun of posts. I never use 'like' because it's boring. I do what I want.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Yes more emojis would be nice. I want a llama one. I hope you find something and yes it does get tiring.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

After "they" took disagree away people started saying they'd use "Insightful" in place of "Disagree" ..... my "Insightful" count rose quickly after that lol :smiley:

OMG, you guys a hilarious, I really laughed out loud when I saw the "Insightfuls" popping up on this post :smiley:
    *wipes coffee off of monitor*
  • Options
    edited October 2015

omg, mine did, too. I just thought I was smart. ;)
    I did hit insightful because I thought your posts were smart and helpful. Spreading the love. <3
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    edited October 2015
    You guys do all realize that it's up to the moderation staff whether button use or a post is abuse etc., right? No forum user makes it so by hitting Flag and reporting. If people are reporting nonabuse, it should be pretty clear to the staff. It's not your definition of appropriate use or mine that matters.

Edited to fix an autocorrect miss.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Well, I guess now that explains why my insightful count took a gigantic leap !
    I use awesome to laugh.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

OMG, you guys a hilarious, I really laughed out loud when I saw the "Insightfuls" popping up on this post :smiley:
    *wipes coffee off of monitor*

Ever since they removed the buttons people have been making up their own meanings. There was even a thread dedicated to what people were going to be using certain buttons for.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    You guys do all realize that it's up to the moderation staff whether button use or a post is abuse etc., right? No forum user makes it so by hitting Flag and reporting. If people are reporting nonabuse, it should be pretty clear to the staff. It's not your definition of appropriate use or mine that matters.

You do realize that a forum member said they were asked to keep track of button use in regards to "possible" abuse right?

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    edited October 2015

You do realize that a forum member said they were asked to keep track of button use in regards to "possible" abuse right?

Sort of like bug narrowing, yes. If you think there's a pattern and say so, sometimes you're going to be asked to come back when you have more detail. I had that with a noise complaint this summer. I had to track activity for several weeks; the city wouldn't look into it on their own. Same with someone with a big: sometimes they'll be asked to try to reproduce it in the same and different circumstances to see if there's evidence for a bug report. You make it sound like a conspiracy or something, not normal procedure.

And it still doesn't mean that user decides if it's harassment or a noise bylaw violation or a bug. It's just providing enough evidence, if it exists, for someone else to make that decision.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Sort of like bug narrowing, yes. If you think there's a pattern and say so, sometimes you're going to be asked to come back when you have more detail. I had that with a noise complaint this summer. I had to track activity for several weeks; the city wouldn't look into it on their own. Same with someone with a big: sometimes they'll be asked to try to reproduce it in the same and different circumstances to see if there's evidence for a bug report. You make it sound like a conspiracy or something, not normal procedure.

And it still doesn't mean that user decides if it's harassment or a noise bylaw violation or a bug. It's just providing enough evidence, if it exists, for someone else to make that decision.

The point that I and quite a few others have been making is that someone with access to the information could see "who" did the clicking but it doesn't show them the intent. That would fit into the category of assumption or mind reading.

Tracking down a game bug has a positive poof end. Tracking down noise in your neighborhood has a positive proof end. Unless you actually ask someone you have no way of knowing what their intent was.
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    If you saw two adults completely nude having sex on your front lawn would that offend you? Are you saying to be offended has no meaning or the phrase, 'I'm offended', has no meaning.

I'd throw a bucket of water over them and laugh!
    I wouldn't be offended or anything. I'd probably point and laugh, and call hubs out of the house for him to have a snicker about it too.
    We're easygoing about all kinds of stuff and tend to take most things at face value until someone says differently.

I simply just don't understand these days why people seem to actively look for things to be offended by. Is it because so many people feel they have to be politically correct all the time? What for? It's ridiculous. I call a shovel a shovel and if people don't like it, it's on them and not me. I'm not going to waste time or insult normal people's intelligence by sugar coating everything with rainbows and glitter. It's childish and dumb.

As for having to "own" disagrees or LOL's that's the dumbest thing I've read. Why should someone have to "own" it ? Why is it fine to push the sparkle lollipop buttons and it's fine to leave it at that, but if you wish to disagree with someone you have to explain it? That's utter nonsense.

Also on the topic of language, since everyone is seeming to just LOVE honesty these days - the use of "u" "ur" "plz" "ppl" and all these other dense and foolish chat speak shortcuts for words drive me insane. At least have the decency to write out posts correctly using proper words and correct grammar. Once I see a post like that I just immediately write it off and ignore whatever the user is "trying" to communicate.

Agreed with everything you said and agreed x1,000 on the bolded part. Can't remember if it was this thread or one of the ones about the buttons, but someone kept typing with u, ur, plz, etc .... I have no idea what they said, I read two lines and skipped their whole post which was pretty lengthy so they probably had a lot to say. And I'm no grammar 🐸🐸🐸🐸, I realize my grammar is nowhere close to perfect, but pure laziness when you are trying to communicate your point is a pet peeve of mine.

+1 Awesome to @Pary :smile:

This so much. I use net/l33t speak pretty freely when I play MMO's, to the point that if I read back what I've written sometimes while gaming, it feels like I'm writing in a completely alien language, but I don't like to see it dribble over into normal, everyday communications. I once sent my boss an e-mail with "ppl" by mistake instead of "people" and was absolutely mortified, lol.

• Options
    edited October 2015

I do think it was a bad idea to mention it luthienrising, to name drop themselves. It actually made me use the ignore feature for the first time which I swore I would never do. Tracking buttons is something that should be left to the mods. It isn't something Simmers should do because it does come off as harassment having them come into thread and demand who is disagreeing with them. I'm not going to deny I haven't hit the button before but I never pay attention to username with any of the buttons, but to assume it was ill intent is harassment. But yes I have noticed accounts on the rise with banning and warnings since the button removal. I will never approve of flame baiting and yes I think mentioning it was flame baiting. But it is ok, it isn't something we have to agree on. I just don't like how they set themselves as a target mentioning it in threads and activity page. Helping with bugs actually does help Simmers. If they wanted to help with the button situation then fine, do so silently. Simmers just should not brag about it. I don't like the method that was used like a witch hunt. Anyway it is in SimGuruDrake's hands now. Removing buttons alone will not solve all the trolling and forum rules being broken on this site. But yes there is a distrust in forums right now.

One thing I must say is the leaderboard has made myself and quite a few others become targets of the trolls. I think the whole point system needs to be overhauled and buttons need to be removed. There has to be another way to get Simmers to become members.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2015
    I may have to write a list who said no they wouldn't be offended so I can remember where I can say LOL and Disagree without someone reporting for bullying or something. And I'm not be facetious I'm being serious. Because it seems we now walk on egg shells and hard to know who is offended over someone thinking something was a joke. And I started this discussion because I want to know what is the difference in a button or if someone says it? Or is it that it's easier to be mad and retaliate when you know who and not hid behind a button? I wonder.

I said this in a previous post, but I feel that the real issue was that they didn't know "who" pressed the buttons. It was the curiosity eating them alive more than anything. Now that it's not anonymous, they can relax. B)

Of course, there are still those who will feel like people are ganging up on them if a bunch of people just type the word and nothing else. The report button is already getting extra attention.
  • Options

I do think it was a bad idea to mention it luthienrising, to name drop themselves. It actually made me use the ignore feature for the first time which I swore I would never do. Tracking buttons is something that should be left to the mods. It isn't something Simmers should do because it does come off as harassment having them come into thread and demand who is disagreeing with them. I'm not going to deny I haven't hit the button before but I never pay attention to username with any of the buttons, but to assume it was ill intent is harassment. But yes I have noticed accounts on the rise with banning and warnings since the button removal. I will never approve of flame baiting and yes I think mentioning it was flame baiting. But it is ok, it isn't something we have to agree on. I just don't like how they set themselves as a target mentioning it in threads and activity page. Helping with bugs actually does help Simmers. If they wanted to help with the button situation then fine, do so silently. Simmers just should not brag about it. I don't like the method that was used like a witch hunt. Anyway it is in SimGuruDrake's hands now. Removing buttons alone will not solve all the trolling and forum rules being broken on this site. But yes there is a distrust in forums right now.

One thing I must say is the leaderboard has made myself and quite a few others become targets of the trolls. I think the whole point system needs to be overhauled and buttons need to be removed. There has to be another way to get Simmers to become members.

Again I agree with you and removing buttons doesn't do a thing for the real baiting going on. There is a feeling of sides more than there has been before. I used to chalk it up to enthusiastic fans debating the games but now it seems like there is something more going on and it doesn't feel good.
  • Options
    *jumps up and down flailing arms and hands* ME! ME! Put me on your safe list!

I will. Because I'm not understanding why or if one is better than the other, vs buttons, and or will even be allowed now, since so many take offense with a disagree or lol.

ETA: You know some people may get the word disagree wrote out on their posts more than others because there are some people here who I rarely can agree with. So, if I write disagree on their ten threads does that get people in trouble? And considered spam or something when I could have just hit the button?

Absolutely. That's what happened in the first place. Some people you can rarely agree with, so it's natural to hit disagree on their posts. The mods saw that and assumed we were targeting one person. Smh.
  • Options

Again I agree with you and removing buttons doesn't do a thing for the real baiting going on. There is a feeling of sides more than there has been before. I used to chalk it up to enthusiastic fans debating the games but now it seems like there is something more going on and it doesn't feel good.
    Yep exactly. Yes the Berlin wall was just starting to feel like it was falling down, but it is up again. One thing I must say I refuse to be put into a side or a name calling label. If someone has to result to calling me a hater it just shows how much they display it themselves with that comment. It does feel like it is getting personal now. We are talking more about each other than the actual game anymore. Poor mods must get tired of the fighting too. I do respect luthienrising completely. She has always been kind to me regardless how I felt about the Sims 4 which has changed multiple times.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited October 2015
    Not at all! I have type it many times over the last 6 years of the sims 3 website forums and home pages and here in the forums ;)

I don't abuse it tho I type it when somebody as made me laugh from a witty post of either text or a screenshot!

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options

Yep exactly. Yes the Berlin wall was just starting to feel like it was falling down, but it is up again. One thing I must say I refuse to be put into a side or a name calling label. If someone has to result to calling me a hater it just shows how much they display it themselves with that comment. It does feel like it is getting personal now. We are talking more about each other than the actual game anymore. Poor mods must get tired of the fighting too. I do respect luthienrising completely. She has always been kind to me regardless how I felt about the Sims 4 which has changed multiple times.

Well I hope I'm not on a "side", and even though most of my posts have been in the more "controversial" (for lack of a better term) threads I actually started looking at this forum to see all the fun and happy type of threads. And when on the other threads I think I've done a pretty good job of completely forgetting about these types of threads while communicating with others even if I completely disagree on what they say in other threads. I think I just confused myself ......

Anyway, I just wanted to agree with you about the mods. Even though I disagree with the button removal I think they do a great job from what I've seen. I've seen a lot of threads that have technically gone off topic but the posters are having a good time and the mods have just left them alone, a lot of other sites I've been on would have closed down a lot of these threads. I've been a mod before on another site a long time ago ... and it sucks, even if you enjoy the site there is just so much bickering and infighting going on that it can wear you down fast.
  • Options

Well I hope I'm not on a "side", and even though most of my posts have been in the more "controversial" (for lack of a better term) threads I actually started looking at this forum to see all the fun and happy type of threads. And when on the other threads I think I've done a pretty good job of completely forgetting about these types of threads while communicating with others even if I completely disagree on what they say in other threads. I think I just confused myself ......

Anyway, I just wanted to agree with you about the mods. Even though I disagree with the button removal I think they do a great job from what I've seen. I've seen a lot of threads that have technically gone off topic but the posters are having a good time and the mods have just left them alone, a lot of other sites I've been on would have closed down a lot of these threads. I've been a mod before on another site a long time ago ... and it sucks, even if you enjoy the site there is just so much bickering and infighting going on that it can wear you down fast.
    I wouldn't put anyone on a side and I see you talking to everyone fairly. The happy threads are awesome. I'm really enjoying reading Prink's family play thread too.

I think the mods are doing a great job too. I do disagree with the decision, but I do hope saying disagree, LOL, and using gifs/pictures are still allowed. I actually have an easier time posting here than on MTS. I tried my best to make a neutral thread and there was so much fighting mods had to shut it down. They apologized to me for shutting it down. Probably why I hang out in the den mostly now there. There are some fan sites that don't allow anything but positive posts. I think I'm just worried this site will turn into just another yibsim site. I like how I can talk to people with multiple opinions rather than one-sided opinions. It is how I'm able to create stories for my games sometimes from their ideas.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Administering another game related board, I know it's really hard to keep your users happy and content without them feeling like you're suffocating them with moderation. I let the most of the other moderators deal with issues as the ones we have on staff are more diplomatic than I.
    Alas, the suffocating thing happens a lot here. The mods are quite heavy handed I believe. I realise that EA leaves themselves open to whatever actions if they don't take care of the more serious stuff with children about, and that's perfectly the proper thing to do.
    But buttons doesn't come under "serious" in the same respect as offensive images or links, and the like. I'm big on people having opinions and plenty of ways to express it, even buttons if they choose. I'm not so big on having those ways removed and people's opinions curtailed because of a few knee jerk reaction reporters.

I got to the Sims 2 or 3 sections when I want pleasant threads. It's a lot quieter in there and people still share their pictures and things from their games.
    I stay out of the Sims 4 happy play thread, unless I'm giving it a bump for @simgirl1010 , It's never been my intention to purposely go into threads like that and spout off about my dislike of the game.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,590 Member
    Yeah, I stay out of the Happy Topics that just want happy replies. I see the pictures and I get sad, not happy. I would love for my game to look like the edited pictures and that always makes me sad.
    No matter who I ask the pictures are usually edited or heavily modded or their cards are more then I want to spend on this game. So, I stay out of picture topics or happy topics.

:sigh: It' like I"m looking in but can't enjoy it.

hvxmoj.jpg

• Options
    Just wondering if typing out lol is as offensive as getting lolled with a button? Not sure where to put this thread since it's not a forum 'suggestion' and doesn't really belong in that area.

But say you say something and I just write LOL are you going to be offended about that?

ETA: Or Disagree? What is the difference?

It depends on why ur laughing. If I've written a serious, thoughtful response and u laugh at them I'll wonder what's so funny. If I say something that's meant to make u laugh then I'll understand the lol. Or, if ur lol-ing to be condescending then that could be offensive to me.

The difference between typing it out and hitting a button for it is that I know who is laughing if u type it and I can ask u abt it or call u out on it. A button can make it frustrating since you have no idea who pushed it or why (the why is not always obvious).

And just because someone gets offending doesn't mean they're off to report u. Yeah, I wonder how that will go "so-and-so lol'ed at my super serious post. I'm reporting them." The forum mods would roll their eyes at the nonesense. You don't have to walk on egg shells, If anyone is afraid of being offended or called out for their rudeness then this isn't the forum for them, because ppl are going to offend and ppl are going to be called on it. I know I can give as good as I take. I expect ppl to be offended by some things I say and I expect ppl to call me out, and I expect nothing less from some ppl in these forums (I don't think ur one of them based on ur post) and you'd better believe that I do the same. Nothing wrong with it.
    Um, no. No, they wouldn't. They didn't roll their eyes at it when people were complaining about lol'ing serious posts with buttons, what makes you think they'd do so now?
    I have some advice but I'm afraid it would be taken wrong by someone who was hurt by the buttons. Never run for office, and never vote in a union where you can be black balled. Oust. There are many things in life that can hurt the feelings but a button on a 'game' forum shouldn't be one of them.

This is the passive aggressiveness I'm talking abt. You're too afraid of outright confrontation, yet you do it in a passive aggressive way.

If ur talking abt me then u can tell me directly. But it seems like you didn't read my posts or u might have selective reading, so I'll give u the tl;dr version: I don't care if the buttons are there or not. Again, you think ur being clever by hiding ur true intentions, but your not. It's quite cowardly, tbh.

And, btw, how did u ever survive these forums without having your precious lol and disagree button?? It seems like u heavily rely on them other than responding?
    LOL
    Ok...I'm going to come out with an honest answer and get it off my chest.

I find LOL silly. I probably care too much about the written word. I really don't like things like ur,PPLE, BRB. IDK or any of the others. In fact when there is a post that contains text speak I pass it by. It just looks lazy to me.

Yes I know that people who use it are usually on a mobile device but it brings me to another point. Get the phone out of your face and enjoy life around you. Dial a number and talk to someone instead of texting them. If it's inconvenient have some patience and wait till you can.

But don't mind me....it's just a personal viewpoint. Things like *teehee* and preggers bothers me too.
    Agree. During the vote, I even suggested that LOL be changed to "Funny."

This is not always the case. I remember certain users who got a kick out of harassing people, name-calling etc. on their walls and deleting the evidence. And it was pretty nasty, offending stuff. They would also posts things like "Leave me alone, this is harassment," and NOT delete that part. The troll would then proceed to report the replies as if they were the ones being targeted. Long story short: The mods cannot always determine who's at fault after the fact and it pains me to see the wrong person get banned.

Even with shorter disagreements, they've sometimes erupted in other areas of the site and the mods have so much on their plates, they don't take the time to fully figure out who is truly at fault.
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Not at all! I have type it many times over the last 6 years of the sims 3 website forums and home pages and here in the forums ;)

I don't abuse it tho I type it when somebody as made me laugh from a witty post of either text or a screenshot!

But aren't you the one who keeps shouting that the buttons were being abused? It seems you would be very, very offended if you didn't agree with the LOL or Disagree... Another one to add to the "Do not LOL list." ;)