Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Will Be Upset If We Type Out LOL?

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited October 2015 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
Just wondering if typing out lol is as offensive as getting lolled with a button? Not sure where to put this thread since it's not a forum 'suggestion' and doesn't really belong in that area.

But say you say something and I just write LOL are you going to be offended about that?

ETA: Or Disagree? What is the difference?
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Absolutely NOT. Not even if you type out "DISAGREE!!!!!" Not even if you type out twelve paragraphs detailing exactly why what I said was laughable or totally wrong. :D Even in you type out SMDH *eyeroll* or anything else. :)
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    edited October 2015
    I would not get offended. I didn't get offended if someone gave me a LOL when there was a button.

There will always be people who get offended no matter what you do, so with them, it's a no-win situation. It's just a sign of the times.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,660 Member
    Nope.
  • Options
    Even if all I do is post a picture, if someone wants to LOL it - more power to 'em. :) Even if you LOL everything I ever say without even reading it. Okay by me.
  • Options
    I may have to write a list who said no they wouldn't be offended so I can remember where I can say LOL and Disagree without someone reporting for bullying or something. And I'm not be facetious I'm being serious. Because it seems we now walk on egg shells and hard to know who is offended over someone thinking something was a joke. And I started this discussion because I want to know what is the difference in a button or if someone says it? Or is it that it's easier to be mad and retaliate when you know who and not hid behind a button? I wonder.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Lots of Love :)
  • Options
    *jumps up and down flailing arms and hands* ME! ME! Put me on your safe list!
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »

That makes me smile. You know my husband didn't know what LOL means when it is text to him. He always thought it meant lots of love, and we had an argument one time that no it doesn't. ;) But he chose to use it that way so when he text me he adds LOL for lots of love. LOL
  • Options
    WrwurWrwur Posts: 321 Member
    I think the button was removed because some people used it to kinda offence others, I can't clearly explain this, since english isn't my first language. But long story short, some people didn't use it because post was funny. At least before disagree button was added.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I will not.

I don't care if I get LOLed or disagreed with (even though I had the most disagrees via the forum probably...), it does not bother me.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    *jumps up and down flailing arms and hands* ME! ME! Put me on your safe list!

I will. Because I'm not understanding why or if one is better than the other, vs buttons, and or will even be allowed now, since so many take offense with a disagree or lol.

ETA: You know some people may get the word disagree wrote out on their posts more than others because there are some people here who I rarely can agree with. So, if I write disagree on their ten threads does that get people in trouble? And considered spam or something when I could have just hit the button?
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,660 Member
    I will not.

I don't care if I get LOLed or disagreed with (even though I had the most disagrees via the forum probably...), it does not bother me.

LOL at the part in parentheses.
  • Options
    stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 269 Member
    edited October 2015
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Just wondering if typing out lol is as offensive as getting lolled with a button? Not sure where to put this thread since it's not a forum 'suggestion' and doesn't really belong in that area.

But say you say something and I just write LOL are you going to be offended about that?

It depends on why ur laughing. If I've written a serious, thoughtful response and u laugh at them I'll wonder what's so funny. If I say something that's meant to make u laugh then I'll understand the lol. Or, if ur lol-ing to be condescending then that could be offensive to me.

The difference between typing it out and hitting a button for it is that I know who is laughing if u type it and I can ask u abt it or call u out on it. A button can make it frustrating since you have no idea who pushed it or why (the why is not always obvious).

And just because someone gets offending doesn't mean they're off to report u. Yeah, I wonder how that will go "so-and-so lol'ed at my super serious post. I'm reporting them." The forum mods would roll their eyes at the nonesense. You don't have to walk on egg shells, If anyone is afraid of being offended or called out for their rudeness then this isn't the forum for them, because ppl are going to offend and ppl are going to be called on it. I know I can give as good as I take. I expect ppl to be offended by some things I say and I expect ppl to call me out, and I expect nothing less from some ppl in these forums (I don't think ur one of them based on ur post) and you'd better believe that I do the same. Nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I think the main reason people were upset about the abuse of lol and disagree was the fact it was anonymous.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »

That makes me smile. You know my husband didn't know what LOL means when it is text to him. He always thought it meant lots of love, and we had an argument one time that no it doesn't. ;) But he chose to use it that way so when he text me he adds LOL for lots of love. LOL

haha, because, if I remember correctly... Back in the day and I am not saying how many days ago it was but it was a LOT of days ago...

Before cell phones, before we all used the internet to text, we sent these little notes on paper to each other in class and I clearly remember my friends and I using LOL as Lots of Love back at the time. Also FTW did NOT mean For The WIn back then, either. :P
  • Options
    edited October 2015

It depends on why ur laughing. If I've written a serious, thoughtful response and u laugh at them I'll wonder what's so funny. If I say something that's meant to make u laugh then I'll understand the lol. Or, if ur lol-ing to be condescending then that could be offensive to me.

The difference between typing it out and hitting a button for it is that I know who is laughing if u type it and I can ask u abt it or call u out on it. A button can make it frustrating since you have no idea who pushed it or why (the why is not always obvious).

How can you determine why I would write LOL? Maybe how you speak is funny? Is there something wrong with laughing at Mark Twain and how he wrote his books to use colorful words and bad grammar to tell a story? Let's say I speak in a way (on purpose) most of the time and it doesn't show my education but adds color to my posts. Should I be offended if some lols because I think most people see it, but some don't. lol

ETA: I just read the part about now you will know who lolled you if they write it. Then it is as I suspected then? People wanted to know who was lolling so they could....'call them out'? I will have to think about that motive. (Note to self no lolling or disagreeing with out explaining it)
  • Options
    aaaaaaaand one for the 'not-safe list'
  • Options
    Colton thanks, yeah I miss my badge of honor in disagrees, too. I can't quote you or tag you for some reason.
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    Lolling is offensive if the person didn't say anything obviously funny. If you lol someone for being "ridiculous" (in your opinion), it's offensive. What is the purpose of a lol like that, besides making someone else feel bad?

• Options
    Guys I'm not ignoring your replies, I can no longer quote and or tag anyone to reply to them. Guess some privileges are being revoked for asking a question? I don't know.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    I don't think "lol" is offensive, i never did. If anything typing it out feels like a hassle and like a waste of a post. Was easier when we could just let people know we thought they were funny by clicking a button
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    Ayumap wrote: »
    I don't think "lol" is offensive, i never did. If anything typing it out feels like a hassle and like a waste of a post. Was easier when we could just let people know we thought they were funny by clicking a button

Great I can finally quote somebody (my forum experience today is messed up and won't let me quote others) thank you. I will add you to my list that if I feel you were funny it's o.k. to lol you.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    People are already starting to type Disagree and LOL, but some people have already done it before, lots of forums also do this when they don't have Disagree or LOL reaction buttons. If it's in the form of a Comment, I'd doubt they'd remove Commenting just because people don't like such short Comments. Also this should be on Off-Topic not The Sims 4 Discussions.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    People are already starting to type Disagree and LOL, but some people have already done it before, lots of forums also do this when they don't have Disagree or LOL reaction buttons. If it's in the form of a Comment, I'd doubt they'd remove Commenting just because people don't like such short Comments. Also this should be on Off-Topic not The Sims 4 Discussions.

But it is particular to The Sims 4 since this is where all the commotion started and voted back in then removed again. It is not off topic because it stems from The Sims 4 attitudes whether someone likes the game or not and or if someone is offended if someone likes the game or not. ETA: And it's not feedback so where else but in a general discussion? I'm not all that sure as I said.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »

But it is particular to The Sims 4 since this is where all the commotion started and voted back in then removed again. It is not off topic because it stems from The Sims 4 attitudes whether someone likes the game or not and or if someone is offended if someone likes the game or not. ETA: And it's not feedback so where else but in a general discussion? I'm not all that sure as I said.

Sorry I'm just getting the hang of where Threads about certain things should go since the Off-Topic Section of the forums is described: This is where you can chat about anything and everything that is not game related. I just wanted to suggest that perhaps it's better there since the buttons are not really related to the game. But yes, controversy did happen in The Sims 4 Discussion section but didn't exclusively occur there, allot of the controversy started with people who posted about serious topics that didn't relate to the game and got laughed at for their serious topic which led to them feeling offended and hurt.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.