Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Will Be Upset If We Type Out LOL?

167891012...Next

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think humor is subjective too. Like I don't find angry poop or pee like a champion funny in the game, but Sims falling on the treadmill I do. We all have different things we find funny and no it isn't out of ill intent. Sometimes I have found serious posts sarcastic and the sarcastic posts as serious. There is no way we can read the minds of other Simmers.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    What ever happen to good clean comedy like The 3 Stooges or Charlie Chaplin type of humor?
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    What ever happen to good clean comedy like The 3 Stooges or Charlie Chaplin type of humor?

Chaplin missed the criticism for his slap stick but The Stooges have gone the same way as Looney Tunes, the road runner, Bugs bunny and Daffy duck. People started to think they were too violent and teaching kids to behave in an aggressive way.

People just over react. Like the group that is trying to get the new Muppets show off of TV because Kermit has no pants.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    There is actually a lot of that humor in the first Sims game. It is what I love about it even to this day. It has a lot of Slapstick humor in it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member
    Since I cannot quote you for some reason, @Scobre I can only say that I'm 100% with you on everything you posted. The angry poop, pee like a champ, pre-woohoo cheer make me want to slap myself.

I usually take everything sarcastically though. If I'm having a bad day then I might think it's serious. I joke a lot so I have this mistaken belief that other people do too.
  • Options
    Since I cannot quote you for some reason, @Scobre I can only say that I'm 100% with you on everything you posted. The angry poop, pee like a champ, pre-woohoo cheer make me want to slap myself.

I usually take everything sarcastically though. If I'm having a bad day then I might think it's serious. I joke a lot so I have this mistaken belief that other people do too.
    Yeah it's like I'm in my 20s and I still didn't think it is funny. I try to as well. I laugh at myself all the time especially if I trip which happens quite a bit. Let's just say I gave my Simself the clumsy trait for a reason. XD I do laugh when the Sims do cook sometimes. Funny when they drop things on the floor and pick it up. I thought the slamming of the fridge door was funny too. I guess I just prefer slapstick over potty humor.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,590 Member
    d

Cinebar wrote: »
    ...and why the "LOL" as well? I always enjoyed making people laugh. From elementary school to today, I still have that twisted sense of humor. I know I had over 500 LOL's before it was cut! Well I'll still keep the laughs going - "LOL" button or not. :tongue:

It was abused? Because someone said it was abused months ago when we no longer had disagree, people were using it to disagree. And I thought to myself so? Can't they disagree? But that thread in June requested bring back disagree so the lol wouldn't be 'abused' as a disagree button. So, we had a vote and majority said yes, keep both. Then since then they said they are both abused. I still say how can we determine intent of laughter? Or a disagree button? Because I can't really get into someone's head I can only 'assume' their 'intent'.

@Cinebar, be honest with yourself. I think most of us can discern when the lol button was being used to mock a poster's comment. It was done in both the positive and negative feedback threads.

Hi :)

If the Moderators were able to discern it so easily, why didn't they remove those abusing the buttons?

I know I've lol'd a few that might have been serious, which actually were, but it was because they made me laugh. They were good replies and I liked them but they also made me laugh- I wasn't doing it sarcastically nor with malice. It was more like- "Lol-Awesome reply!"

So, could anyone but me have discerned that I was appreciating and not laughing at them? Maybe not.
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I think humor is subjective too. Like I don't find angry poop or pee like a champion funny in the game, but Sims falling on the treadmill I do. We all have different things we find funny and no it isn't out of ill intent. Sometimes I have found serious posts sarcastic and the sarcastic posts as serious. There is no way we can read the minds of other Simmers.

True!!
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2015
    Update, I spent some time reading the thread called 'Where are the Lol and Disagree Buttons" Particularly statements made on Oct. 6th by members who think disagreeing with them is bullying and the answer to why the lol and disagree were removed by SimGuruDrake. I didn't know a guru had commented in that thread, (because it's huge and hadn't read most of it, yet) and I didn't even know the buttons were gone until like Sunday (shows you how much I use them or pay attention). Anyway, I withdraw my question.

Case Closed. It would seem by even writing out disagree or lol it wouldn't be seen as constructive (and some days I don't have the air) therefore, I appreciate everyone who answered my question. I think I have my answers and certainly don't want banned or reported for not explaining why I lolled and or why I disagreed.

I rarely report anyone here unless they cursed and broke the TOS and or spoke about things we aren't allowed to talk about concerning teens. And then most the time I don't even report that. But I could have reported those complaining for the exact same things I see them do they are complaining others do. But didn't because honestly I felt it wouldn't do any good as it didn't last year, either.

So, I withdraw my request of who would be offended as it would seem somehow this would not bode well for anyone here to write out the comment without explaining. Period.

Thanks everyone. I hope you find some enjoyment in this forum because it's also a perspective if someone didn't agree if you wrote out why you lolled. So, my best advice don't do it. Or don't just say disagree and or maybe not explain why because that also could be misconstrued as harassment. If those who read this think I am being dramatic and a drama queen (oh yes, I hear those whispers, LOL) then so be it.

Because a place that only allows happy buttons and teaches children the world will never disagree with them isn't really a place I want to post. Because the world will, and good luck out there from when they are hit with culture shock.

P.S. If some will no longer come on to the forum and say why they disagreed and or no longer feel welcome to laugh (and it is not for me to say what is funny for them) then you can expect a huge drop in threads in the General and the Feedback, and I guess that won't be a bad thing for this game since no one would be disagreeing with anything.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    I wrote the following in that thread, I forgot the date but it was shortly after news broke that they removed buttons, again:

Whether they like being criticized or not, all this happened when it was decided to bring back the "Dislike" button mid to late summer, I think, (except Down Under) --which, from what I have read from the dust-bin threads, was tried last year with the same dismal results, and all this could have been avoided if the management did their homework and left well enough alone.

Additionally, there was a brouhaha over the LOL button, too, shortly after I joined this place at the end of last year. They removed "LOL", got some blow-back and had a poll, and the vote was in favor of bringing "LOL" back-- and So It Was Done.

All going as well as can be expected until more turnover in the moderator department leads to the decision to tinker with the buttons again, in spite of recent history.

And Here We Are.

I think it would be an outstanding idea if, when a new moderator is brought in to "govern" a forum, they should be required to read "recent history" regarding often-troublesome forum patterns, and understand that sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie.

I also wrote that all this should never be necessary in a community of grown and mostly-grown men and women, but as we all know, on the Web, with its utter lack of face-to-face accountability, the inner kindergarten brat in everyone rockets to the surface nearly without fail..
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

Cinebar wrote: »
    ...and why the "LOL" as well? I always enjoyed making people laugh. From elementary school to today, I still have that twisted sense of humor. I know I had over 500 LOL's before it was cut! Well I'll still keep the laughs going - "LOL" button or not. :tongue:

It was abused? Because someone said it was abused months ago when we no longer had disagree, people were using it to disagree. And I thought to myself so? Can't they disagree? But that thread in June requested bring back disagree so the lol wouldn't be 'abused' as a disagree button. So, we had a vote and majority said yes, keep both. Then since then they said they are both abused. I still say how can we determine intent of laughter? Or a disagree button? Because I can't really get into someone's head I can only 'assume' their 'intent'.

@Cinebar, be honest with yourself. I think most of us can discern when the lol button was being used to mock a poster's comment. It was done in both the positive and negative feedback threads.

:-1:
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited October 2015
    I posted this in another thread, so this is a repeat: After thinking about it, I'm guessing the biggest problem was it being anonymous. Now people will have to let it be known who they are when they LOL or disagree.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Slawfish wrote: »
    Lolling is offensive if the person didn't say anything obviously funny. If you lol someone for being "ridiculous" (in your opinion), it's offensive. What is the purpose of a lol like that, besides making someone else feel bad?

I have seen it many times with post after post over the years where A Lol was added on a none witty post so I understand where your coming from!

I would like to know to?
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2015
    marcel21 wrote: »
    Slawfish wrote: »
    Lolling is offensive if the person didn't say anything obviously funny. If you lol someone for being "ridiculous" (in your opinion), it's offensive. What is the purpose of a lol like that, besides making someone else feel bad?

I have seen it many times with post after post over the years where A Lol was added on a none witty post so I understand where your coming from!

I would like to know to?

I sort of doubt any of us have never laughed when a family member said something in a particular way? We never laugh by something we think is outrageous even by our closets friends and or our family? I think people actually need to lighten up and not take themselves so seriously.

ETA: Just going to throw this out here but not to you particularly but to anyone. Is it better now if people use the awesome and insightful button to laugh? Is that going to make anyone feel better to think 'wow' I got 50 awesomes! but then have to wonder how many of those were not meant the way they are supposed to be used?

The problem isn't the buttons the problem here is because EA threw everyone into one forum and expect those who don't like the game so much to come here and maybe learn to like it. But their dissent aggravates those who do love it. And can't cut them some slack.

ETA: And the reason I say that is because take feedback for instance. It never fails if someone doesn't like the game for whatever reason someone will come into the person's personal feedback to the 'gurus' and tell them how wrong they are. That shouldn't even happen. It was that person's feedback to the developing team. Not a question, not poll but honest feedback. If we can't agree with their feedback leave well enough alone and let them have their say.

On the other hand if a person loves S4 then some (even I do) go into those threads and tell them why they are wrong. But most of the time it is because they 'asked' for others of a different mind to join that thread. I leave alone happy threads. I may make a comment that is positive but usually ignore those in order not to derail. Because yes, I could disagree it's the best game evah, and point out what all is missing but I only do that in feedback where it belongs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.