Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Will Be Upset If We Type Out LOL?

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Underwhelmed by overwhelming PC. A woman after my own heart. <3

And I feel the same way. Text speak on forum posts is just laziness to me. Do you think some people use it on Job applications?

You know, it wouldn't surprise me.
    Wikispaces classroom has an interesting article on it HERE, with a couple of examples of the beginning of a holiday description assignment, and a job application for a summer position by a 15 year old. The essay is one of the worst I've seen.

Thanks for linking that article. The essay was incredible and I liked the "Yo teach" email
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2015
    Slawfish wrote: »
    Lolling is offensive if the person didn't say anything obviously funny. If you lol someone for being "ridiculous" (in your opinion), it's offensive. What is the purpose of a lol like that, besides making someone else feel bad?
    But people find different things funny. How is that offensive? Can you really read into their mind of their intent? It was also being used for lots of love. It wasn't used to make someone feel bad. Honestly if that is the reason, then everyone should explain every one of their likes, insightfuls, and awesomes because those buttons could be used for a serious post as well. For example someone saying the have cancer or they are feeling suicidal, wouldn't it be considered to hit like, insightful, or awesome with those posts too? Why is it only applied to the LOL button? It seems biased to me just because LOL and disagree were being labeled as the "negative" buttons. Also how is it any different if someone hits a button or a post? Only difference I see is if someone types disagree or LOL now, they become easy targets for report abuse. Ironic how removal of two posts is resulting the abuse of another. Yes I've seen an increase of banned and warned accounts over the past few days since the button removal. People have admitted they wanted the button removal so they can take action to report them more now too. So it is making the community feel more uneasy now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Lolling is offensive if the person didn't say anything obviously funny. If you lol someone for being "ridiculous" (in your opinion), it's offensive. What is the purpose of a lol like that, besides making someone else feel bad?
    But people find different things funny. How is that offensive? Can you really read into their mind of their intent? It was also being used for lots of love. It wasn't used to make someone feel bad. Honestly if that is the reason, then everyone should explain every one of their likes, insightfuls, and awesomes because those buttons could be used for a serious post as well. For example someone saying the have cancer or they are feeling suicidal, wouldn't it be considered to hit like, insightful, or awesome with those posts too? Why is it only applied to the LOL button? It seems biased to me just because LOL and disagree were being labeled as the "negative" buttons. Also how is it any different if someone hits a button or a post? Only difference I see is if someone types disagree or LOL now, they become easy targets for report abuse. Ironic how removal of two posts is resulting the abuse of another. Yes I've seen an increase of banned and warned accounts over the past few days since the button removal. People have admitted they wanted the button removal so they can take action to report them more now too. So it is making the community feel more uneasy now.

That's another insightful post. I never noticed if someone hit like on something serious if others were offended by it. I guess that could be misconstrued, too.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Just wondering if typing out lol is as offensive as getting lolled with a button? Not sure where to put this thread since it's not a forum 'suggestion' and doesn't really belong in that area.

But say you say something and I just write LOL are you going to be offended about that?

ETA: Or Disagree? What is the difference?

I miss my LOLs. I only used LOL when I thought something was funny. Not to make fun of whoever I was LOLing. I had no idea some people were using it to express derision.

So, no, if you LOL in response to something funny I say, I'm going to assume you're LOLing with me.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member

And I feel the same way. Text speak on forum posts is just laziness to me. Do you think some people use it on Job applications?

You know, it wouldn't surprise me.
    Wikispaces classroom has an interesting article on it HERE, with a couple of examples of the beginning of a holiday description assignment, and a job application for a summer position by a 15 year old. The essay is one of the worst I've seen.

What always gets me about chat/text/whatever speak is that some of the abbreviations used for words seem like they'd take longer to type than the actual word. But, yeah I think I got a headache trying to read that essay.
  • Options

That's another insightful post. I never noticed if someone hit like on something serious if others were offended by it. I guess that could be misconstrued, too.
    Yes every button has the potential of being abused. I never understood why disagree and LOL were the only exceptions. I'll never understand it. But if that is the case, they might reconsider a new method of Simmers becoming members and do away with the leaderboard and buttons altogether.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

You know I never really paid attention to a lot of stuff and features here. Recently I was talking to another member who posted something on my page and we ended up talking about my 13 year old Boxer who passed away. I was explaining that it had hit us rather hard and then I didn't think any more about it. Just a day or two ago that member posted here on the forms that those wall posts had gotten lols and disagrees. I figured it was another butt hat (I really would like to call it the the TV-MA version) and left it at that.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Just wondering if typing out lol is as offensive as getting lolled with a button? Not sure where to put this thread since it's not a forum 'suggestion' and doesn't really belong in that area.

But say you say something and I just write LOL are you going to be offended about that?

ETA: Or Disagree? What is the difference?

I miss my LOLs. I only used LOL when I thought something was funny. Not to make fun of whoever I was LOLing. I had no idea some people were using it to express derision.

So, no, if you LOL in response to something funny I say, I'm going to assume you're LOLing with me.

Thanks. Sometimes something is just funny. Their header or how they said it and I have to laugh. I would hate it here if we can't laugh. Jokes are fun! Even snarky ones.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

Yes every button has the potential of being abused. I never understood why disagree and LOL were the only exceptions. I'll never understand it. But if that is the case, they might reconsider a new method of Simmers becoming members and do away with the leaderboard and buttons altogether.

Yep, but that is the way the vanilla forum is set up, right? So, they would have to request a lot of changes to the format and then Vanilla might wonder why they chose this to start with if they don't want the buttons (and there are hundreds more, lol) and or use their system. Scratching my head.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    On the plus side, not that points matter, Simmers will probably get more points just by typing disagree and LOL now. XD So having likes on our disagrees will still prove effective. >:)
  • Options
    MandysAMessMandysAMess Posts: 2,694 Member
    LOL..
    My Simblr: WaffleKone
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,946 Member
    I may have to write a list who said no they wouldn't be offended so I can remember where I can say LOL and Disagree without someone reporting for bullying or something. And I'm not be facetious I'm being serious. Because it seems we now walk on egg shells and hard to know who is offended over someone thinking something was a joke. And I started this discussion because I want to know what is the difference in a button or if someone says it? Or is it that it's easier to be mad and retaliate when you know who and not hid behind a button? I wonder.

I have no problem when someone LOLs or disagrees with me. There was only one time it didn't make sense to me when people disagreed with what I posted and that was because I was talking about my experience with playing the sims 4. I didn't report it, I just changed my post to include the people disagreeing by crossing out the I and typing we.

To me it's not worth a ban to get into a fight with posters on a forum, or worth troubling a moderator just because someone disagreed or LOLed at me. I tend to not let it bother me though there was only once that I didn't, see below.

There is only one forum I was ever banned from and it was because I got into a fight with a TR moderator while posting on a different forum. (It was on the tomb raider 4 board I got banned when I was posting on a non game forum that wasn't owned by edios or ran by a fan of the tomb raider 4 game.) It was a huge fight between the forums because edios contacted the owner of the forum I was posting on and the owner had a mess to fix and told us not to do that again. But I take great offense to being called a pirate by a mod and his wife when I'm posting on the game's forum asking for them to fix their buggy game. CD had TR taken from them and given to another dev, the TR forum may have broke the record for the most bans ever back then. I have not gone back to the TR forum but I have posted on the dues ex forum and they have acted like they're happy I came back to the edios forums.
  • Options

You know I never really paid attention to a lot of stuff and features here. Recently I was talking to another member who posted something on my page and we ended up talking about my 13 year old Boxer who passed away. I was explaining that it had hit us rather hard and then I didn't think any more about it. Just a day or two ago that member posted here on the forms that those wall posts had gotten lols and disagrees. I figured it was another butt hat (I really would like to call it the the TV-MA version) and left it at that.

Me, either, but now I will be looking. lol I didn't even know they had changed the Best of format until today when I decided after months I would read it. Because last time I read it, it was showing (months ago) where someone was calling me all sorts of names, LOL, and was the Best of the Best. LOL
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Oh man I do remember I think it was earlier this year someone kept throwing insults my way and said they were being serious, so I starting typing LOL a lot. LOL button wasn't even around, but if someone is rude and keeps being serious about it, I find it darn right funny. It just reminds me of when Sims say, "Your mother is a llama." But they did say they were offended by they said they were being serious. I guess they wanted me to be offended by it too? I don't know sometimes trolls are just funny. But thankfully my parents did teach me humor can be a good way to combat bullies.
  • Options

Me, either, but now I will be looking. lol I didn't even know they had changed the Best of format until today when I decided after months I would read it. Because last time I read it, it was showing (months ago) where someone was calling me all sorts of names, LOL, and was the Best of the Best. LOL

I know. If you look back at the post of mine you just quoted you'll see it's already gotten an insightful when there was nothing insightful about it. There's been several people saying they are using insigtful as the new LOL or disagree. So? More butt hats.

• Options
    edited October 2015

I know. If you look back at the post of mine you just quoted you'll see it's already gotten an insightful when there was nothing insightful about it. There's been several people saying they are using insigtful as the new LOL or disagree. So? More butt hats.

Well, that offends me if they are using insightful for a lol. But wait, last time I said something offended me I was told by important people I should use a flag.....oops maybe I should hush. LOL

ETA: Eggshells. LOL
  • Options
    Ravager619 wrote: »

Not at all! I often add LOL to words when I'm on Twitter. I'm pretty sure I said LOLeafs when I described my hockey team during last night's game. :p
    That is actually really funny. I did find out that twitter and laugh are synonyms to each other. So pretty cool if you use LOL on Twitter.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I lost so much when they yanked LOL and Disagree- now it looks like no one ever reads my posts- you know instead of the two or three who hated and ridiculed it. Honestly all the concern about that sort of stuff is a waste of time. Stop tinkering with forum.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I lost so much when they yanked LOL and Disagree- now it looks like no one ever reads my posts- you know instead of the two or three who hated and ridiculed it. Honestly all the concern about that sort of stuff is a waste of time. Stop tinkering with forum.

My page/wall looks naked. I was proud of my disagrees and lols. Do I believe every lol I had was because I am so funny? No, but I liked them. :) ETA: I Just checked my wall and I have created 666 topics. I think I might need to make one more I don't like that number. :o:D
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    Someone will. People are offended that there's going to be bush woohoo in a teen-rated game. This is the world we live in :(
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    If you saw two adults completely nude having sex on your front lawn would that offend you? Are you saying to be offended has no meaning or the phrase, 'I'm offended', has no meaning.

I'd throw a bucket of water over them and laugh!
    I wouldn't be offended or anything. I'd probably point and laugh, and call hubs out of the house for him to have a snicker about it too.
    We're easygoing about all kinds of stuff and tend to take most things at face value until someone says differently.

I simply just don't understand these days why people seem to actively look for things to be offended by. Is it because so many people feel they have to be politically correct all the time? What for? It's ridiculous. I call a shovel a shovel and if people don't like it, it's on them and not me. I'm not going to waste time or insult normal people's intelligence by sugar coating everything with rainbows and glitter. It's childish and dumb.

As for having to "own" disagrees or LOL's that's the dumbest thing I've read. Why should someone have to "own" it ? Why is it fine to push the sparkle lollipop buttons and it's fine to leave it at that, but if you wish to disagree with someone you have to explain it? That's utter nonsense.

Also on the topic of language, since everyone is seeming to just LOVE honesty these days - the use of "u" "ur" "plz" "ppl" and all these other dense and foolish chat speak shortcuts for words drive me insane. At least have the decency to write out posts correctly using proper words and correct grammar. Once I see a post like that I just immediately write it off and ignore whatever the user is "trying" to communicate.

You'd be surprised at how many students in my university class have to be reminded over and over again that text speak is inappropriate in a college level class.

• Options

My page/wall looks naked. I was proud of my disagrees and lols. Do I believe every lol I had was because I am so funny? No, but I liked them. :) ETA: I Just checked my wall and I have created 666 topics. I think I might need to make one more I don't like that number. :o:D
    I miss my disagree and LOL count too. I'm jealous of people who got 30 disagrees. It is like not matter what, I could never get my count that high. *Cries about being offended about not getting enough disagrees.* Ok Simmers mind read that. ;)
  • Options
    OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member

I miss my disagree and LOL count too. I'm jealous of people who got 30 disagrees. It is like not matter what, I could never get my count that high. *Cries about being offended about not getting enough disagrees.* Ok Simmers mind read that. ;)

After "they" took disagree away people started saying they'd use "Insightful" in place of "Disagree" ..... my "Insightful" count rose quickly after that lol :smiley:
  • Options

After "they" took disagree away people started saying they'd use "Insightful" in place of "Disagree" ..... my "Insightful" count rose quickly after that lol :smiley:
    LOL yeah, it is interesting confusing people with that. I said I was going to start using like as disagree after I read that. I know I said it as a joke. I guess people took it serious. My above thing was a joke too. I have a twisted sense of humor. It's just that people are so obsessed over the buttons, they seem to be causing more harm than good. I mainly was trying to show that ever button could be considered "abuse" if you define it one way.
  • Options

lol I need something new for LOL because it's already getting old typing it out. It really doesn't give the impression someone can't stop laughing either. We need better respond emoji s