Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    daar1113daar1113 Posts: 45 Member
    How is everyone getting on with the gardening? Has anyone spliced anything yet or created a cow plant? I understand you have to splice a dragonfruit and a snapdragon. Ive found snapdragon but not dragon fruit. What level do you have to be be able to splice?

Also, is there a gardener to hire? I looked under services and nothing there only maid.

Don't know if someone already said this but you can get the dragon fruit by splicing a Snapdragon and Strawberry.
  • Options
    Thebookthief24Thebookthief24 Posts: 1,327 Member
    sirona66 wrote: »
    I get the cow berry, but no matter what I do, water, weed, talk to ect. They do not live very long. As for the rest I have gotten all of them at one time, now a new generation is trying to work it up again.

You have to feed it when it sticks its tongue out.
    "Clearly , I have made some bad decisions."
  • Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    I want a gardening store pack next. Outdoor retreat was interesting for 30mins! LOL. A gardening pack would be right up my ally.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I was wondering if any other gardener's had this issue? After purchasing/playing Outdoor Retreat my plants do not evolve. I get the interaction and "evolve" them but they reset to good.

I can evolve the plants after the latest patch but there's something everyone should know about the latest patch.

If you save your lot in the library, it will keep all your plants except the trees. They start again as dirt mounds, you can fertilize, evolve, water, and weed, but you can't harvest because nothing grows on them. So if you want to have a large garden to get your sim's experience for gardening up, you can. Just realize that you will never be able to harvest from the plants. Also the steps for your aspiration count from the plants but you won't make money from the garden through harvesting.
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    I get the cow berry, but no matter what I do, water, weed, talk to ect. They do not live very long. As for the rest I have gotten all of them at one time, now a new generation is trying to work it up again.

sorry forgot to mention I did that as well, still they die very very fast.

• Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member

sorry forgot to mention I did that as well, still they die very very fast.

I feed mine but notice if I have left for awhile (in real life) that when I start up my game
    again my cowplant has "died".
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    Ellie16Ellie16 Posts: 14 New Member
    I've done a little bit of gardening on previous families but found the gardens all died eventually due to neglect. So just started a sim for the purpose of gardening. Been a week or so game time, she just fished up and cowplant berry from the canal next to her house! She lives in one of the "poor" plots in Willow Creek. Just spliced everything ready to make my own and she fished one out!
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    SuRihtanil wrote: »
    I want a gardening store pack next. Outdoor retreat was interesting for 30mins! LOL. A gardening pack would be right up my ally.

Actually, I would like to have a Farming EP. :D
  • Options
    Southernbelle1283Southernbelle1283 Posts: 398 Member
    With the new EP coming out, you might be able to pull off a grocery store. :)
    Signature-Light-2.jpg

Origin ID: simmerdownsouth
    Twitter: @simmerdownsouth
    My Sims 4 Blog/Stories: http://www.simmerdownsouth.com/
    YouTube Channel: SimmerDownSouth
  • Options
    moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    No sense waiting for a tomato since Outdoor Retreat came out. Tomatoes and blackberries, as well as many others, are everywhere when you go on vacation!
  • Options
    babybuddbabybudd Posts: 8 New Member
    I gave up on gardening due to the fact I had excellent quality veges and fruits but by the next day or a few days later the veges and fruits lost the high quality and made my food poor...so I gave up because it took so long to make excellent quality veges and fruits only to have them lose their quality way to fast...loved the sims 3 when veges and fruits stayed excellent quality once they reached the level of excellent quality. :'(
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    I didn't think that food quality affected cooking quality in Sims 4 in the same way that it did in Sims 3, ive never noticed this and im pretty sure it doesn't happen. Anyone clarify?
  • Options
    lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    I have been wondering how you get a cow plant! I have done a lot of Gardening but haven't spent much time on the forums or looking for help in the game but a cow plant would be awesome! I'll have to try it now. Thanks for the info! =)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    For a cowplant go to Oasis Spring big park , go to the very back of the park and fish there. You may get a cowberry immediately or your sim might have to fish all day but you will def get on from there. You wont need bait.

cowplantseed_zpsa1b0c349.jpg
  • Options
    lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Oh wow this is awesome! Thanks for the info! Yay cowplant!! hahaha it's the little things in life :)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• Options
    I think food quality is a combination of cooking ability and ingredients. Good cooks get better results with normal ingredients and poor cooks get better results with perfect ingredients. Food quality, for my sims is only ever less than excellent when I have a beginning cook make dishes with normal ingredients.
  • Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I have been wondering what trash plants are actually good for? I think I'm going to try using one as a root stock and graft several twigs of blackberry and see if the berries will replace all the trash fruit. Has anyone tried something similar? Babybudd, I never noticed the quality of the produce degrading after harvest? I will have to pay attention and see if it's the same for my game as well.
  • Options
    Trashplants don't seem to be good for anything lol I have tried grafting more than one of the same thing to a plant, but it seems to ignore the second and subsequent grafts. Trashplants do fruit fairly quickly, so you could try grafting 3 or 4 different things to it so that you get fewer trashfruit from a harvest.
  • Options
    So is there a limit to how many grafts will "take" per plant?
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    I was wondering if any other gardener's had this issue? After purchasing/playing Outdoor Retreat my plants do not evolve. I get the interaction and "evolve" them but they reset to good.
    It sounds like you might need to Repair your game. Go to your My Games tab in Origin. Right-click on Sims 4. You should see a list of options, one of which is Repair. Let it finish, then launch your game. Hopefully, you're problem will be resolved. Good luck!

Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    So is there a limit to how many grafts will "take" per plant?

I don't know if there's a grafting limit, but each plant only gives a max of 10 fruits/flowers, so the more grafts, the less of each.
  • Options

I can evolve the plants after the latest patch but there's something everyone should know about the latest patch.

If you save your lot in the library, it will keep all your plants except the trees. They start again as dirt mounds, you can fertilize, evolve, water, and weed, but you can't harvest because nothing grows on them. So if you want to have a large garden to get your sim's experience for gardening up, you can. Just realize that you will never be able to harvest from the plants. Also the steps for your aspiration count from the plants but you won't make money from the garden through harvesting.

Can you take cuttings? It would still be a bit of a short cut instead of evolving everything to perfect.
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    moongodess wrote: »
    Trashplants don't seem to be good for anything lol I have tried grafting more than one of the same thing to a plant, but it seems to ignore the second and subsequent grafts. Trashplants do fruit fairly quickly, so you could try grafting 3 or 4 different things to it so that you get fewer trashfruit from a harvest.

Hmm, 13 days late! Sorry! I just found this thread.

It might be a glitch or a programming oversight but Sims can eat trashfruit, (and it takes a lot less time than when they eat regular food in the kitchen) and they do not get a belly-ache from it, nor do their hygiene levels drop.

I have mine carry it in inventory (never spoils.. trash can't spoil!) and if they're away from a venue where food is available and get hungry.. There ya go, a (tasty?) bite to eat on-the-go!
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    MALHOTA wrote: »
    Oh... Would be great if we could put them on a vase and make cute flower bouquets :)

Thank you for the help @Loreleilee73 :)

I like the case idea!
  • Options
    So I did a bit of experimenting and after downloading a lot that had perfect plants, the plants all reverted to normal and the trees were gone. The lot was a unoccupied residential. I had a sim visit and "took cuttings", but upon returning home there was no option to graft anything. Maybe with a community lot it would be different? It would be nice to at least have all the plants in one lot that was down loadable.