Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I finally completed the plant collection. I put everything in my household inventory though. Kind of needed a break from gardening. At some point in the future I will do some grafting that puts the slower growing edibles on some of the faster ones. Way too many plants to have one of each, at least for me. I feel so bad when I have neglected them and they are almost dead.
  • Options
    SparkopolisSparkopolis Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2014
    The first time I sent my gardening sim out to collect the various wild plants to add to her garden, it became a nightmare of living outside, sleeping on park benches and eating grilled hotdogs for days while waiting to harvest. Blackberries were the worst to wait for as I recall. In slightly better situations I would have her intrude on strangers' homes, stealing their bed while waiting. I didn't want to go through that again with any future gardeners so, once I had all perfect plants (including UFO, Death Flower, Dragon Fruit etc.), I took the harvest to the park in Willow Creek and set up a community garden. The only plant I didn't include is the cowplant since you can't harvest it and I didn't want it eating other sims, but I did leave a spliced plant that provides the cowberries which was the whole point. Now any sim I play can go there and get the plants at perfect quality. All they have to do is live in the park and practice up their gardening skills until they are all ready for harvest. It takes about a week, I think, for all the plants. I use the UFO plant as a gage because once that is ready, everything else is I've found. Living in the park still offered the same miserable conditions that make for an unhappy sim who will have no desire to garden. I resolved this by building a beautiful little bungalow in the northwestern corner of the lot next to the public restroom. It is equipped to suit all of a sims needs to keep them happy while waiting to harvest. It it isn't so large as to intrude much on the park and even matches the existing architecture so it really looks like it belongs there. It even has a double bed so my sims' romantic needs can also be fully met. In fact, while it started as a place for my sims to simply have a comfortable place to sleep in the the park, it evolved into what can only be called a "love nest" for any sims who want time away from the kids for a romantic getaway. The only problem is that it exists in a public place so the various NPCs get very curious about it, especially at first, and want to run in and intrude. I resolved this by blocking the entrance with some planters. I have to move my sims into position to enter or exit, when nobody else is nearby, pause and go into build mode to move the planters so they can pass and then move them back. I of course also have the option to use the teleport cheat. It isn't ideal I know but it gets the job done. So now I have a working community garden as well as I nice little "time-share in the park" if you will, for select sims. If anyone would like to use this altered lot for the same purposes, just search my name in the community gallery and you will find the altered lot. Obviously the plants, as I understand it, won't be uploaded nor will the collectibles I've added. I wanted to add some pics but the moderators, in their infinite wisdom, don't feel that I've spent enough time on their message boards to be allowed to post links. I guess I've been too busy actually playing their game to troll. Anyway, it came out beautifully and I hope some gardener out there likes the lot and finds it useful.
    Happy simming everyone. :D
    Post edited by Sparkopolis on
  • Options
    ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I feed my cow plant twice a day!
  • Options
    So do I and I also now save every time I do it. It's really annoying how easy it is for that thing to die.
  • Options
    > @Sparkopolis said:
    > The first time I sent my gardening sim out to collect the various wild plants to add to her garden, it became a nightmare of living outside, sleeping on park benches and eating grilled hotdogs for days while waiting to harvest. Blackberries were the worst to wait for as I recall. In slightly better situations I would have her intrude on strangers' homes, stealing their bed while waiting. I didn't want to go through that again with any future gardeners so, once I had all perfect plants (including UFO, Death Flower, Dragon Fruit etc.), I took the harvest to the park in Willow Creek and set up a community garden. The only plant I didn't include is the cowplant since you can't harvest it and I didn't want it eating other sims, but I did leave a spliced plant that provides the cowberries which was the whole point. Now any sim I play can go there and get the plants at perfect quality. All they have to do is live in the park and practice up their gardening skills until they are all ready for harvest. This takes about a week I think. I use the blackberries as a gage because once they are ready, everything else is I've found. There may be a way to graft a faster growing blackberry but I don't yet know the right combination for that or if its even possible. Anyway living in the park still offered the same miserable conditions that make for an unhappy sim who will have no desire to garden. I resolved this by building a beautiful little bungalow in the northwestern corner of the lot next to the public restroom. It is equipped to suit all of a sims needs to keep them happy while waiting to harvest. It it isn't so large as to intrude much on the park and even matches the existing architecture so it really looks like it belongs there. It even has a double bed so my sims' romantic needs can also be fully met. In fact, while it started as a place for my sims to simply have a comfortable place to sleep in the the park, it evolved into what can only be called a "love nest" for any sims who want time away from the kids for a romantic getaway. The only problem is that it exists in a public place so the various NPCs get very curious about it, especially at first, and want to run in and intrude. I resolved this by blocking the entrance with some planters. I have to move my sims into position to enter or exit, when nobody else is nearby, pause and go into build mode to move the planters so they can pass and then move them back. It isn't ideal I know but it gets the job done. So now I have a working community garden as well as I nice little "time-share in the park" if you will, for select sims. If anyone would like to use this altered lot for the same purposes just message me and I'll upload it to the community. I've never done that and I'm not even sure how but, with some research, I'm sure I could figure it out. I think the biggest hurdle will be locating the correct file for that lot. Anyway, happy simming everyone.

Unless they have changed it, you cant upload gardening plants or any collectables. They just vanish.
  • Options
    I realize that the plants themselves won't upload but the lot will. You'll still have to do the initial work of creating a perfect garden yourself. The lot design will just make it easy to share amongst your various households.
  • Options
    I had the slightest hope since skills will upload, at least to my own library, that perhaps the plants might as well. I hadn't test it out yet to see.
  • Options
    I haven't tested it myself either. I'm just going off what I've read.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    Any "improvements" that our Sims make to a lot such as fruit trees and vegetable plants, upgrades to appliances and fixtures, paintings, etc. will not carry over to the lot when you or someone else places it in game. I've verified this in my own game when I started over in a new save. FYI.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    [quote="samiam662;12654698"]Reading through the last few posts, I am alarmed and upset that we apparently cannot upload our perfect gardens, or even save them to our own library, and have them available to download for future harvesting by other sims. Gardening is much harder and takes longer in TS4. I cannot believe that the game will force us to go through this all over again with each household. I was planning to have a perfect community garden in all my games. :'(

Also, I have a friend who has been gathering all collectibles in the game and making a room that she had planned to upload to the gallery and her library for her future sims. Apparently, that has been a futile endeavor, also. How frustrating!![/quote]

I don't know if you've resolved the issue of sharing perfect plants with your other households but you actually can have a community garden within the same game. I just had my sim, who already went through the work of creating a perfect garden, bring her household harvest to the public park and plant perfects there. Now all the households can get perfect plants from that. It works great. I even set up a nice, small bungalow in the park to sleep in while they wait for a new harvest.
    Post edited by Sparkopolis on
  • Options
    > @Sparkopolis said:
    > I haven't tested it myself either. I'm just going off what I've read.[quote="samiam662;12654698"]Reading through the last few posts, I am alarmed and upset that we apparently cannot upload our perfect gardens, or even save them to our own library, and have them available to download for future harvesting by other sims. Gardening is much harder and takes longer in TS4. I cannot believe that the game will force us to go through this all over again with each household. I was planning to have a perfect community garden in all my games. :'(
    >
    > Also, I have a friend who has been gathering all collectibles in the game and making a room that she had planned to upload to the gallery and her library for her future sims. Apparently, that has been a futile endeavor, also. How frustrating!![/quote]
    >
    > I don't know if you've resolved the issue of sharing perfect plants with your other households but you actually can have a community garden within the same game. I just had my sim, who already went through the work of creating a perfect garden, her household harvest to the public park and plant perfects there. Now all the households can get perfect plants from that. It works great:
    >

Yes, I do that as well. It helps unless you want to start a new game for some reason. There are mixed opinions on the collections and gardening plants. Some people avidly support no collections or garden plants uploading and take a perverse pleasure in all the hard work and repetition. Others like you, and myself, would at least like the option for the gardens to save to our own personal library for our own personal use. I believe this solution would please everyone.
  • Options
    > @Nik24X7 said:
    > Any "improvements" that our Sims make to a lot such as fruit trees and vegetable plants, upgrades to appliances and fixtures, paintings, etc. will not carry over to the lot when you or someone else places it in game. I've verified this in my own game when I started over in a new save. FYI.

What about from your own library? Same results?
  • Options
    > @Nik24X7 said:<br />
    > Any "improvements" that our Sims make to a lot such as fruit trees and vegetable plants, upgrades to appliances and fixtures, paintings, etc. will not carry over to the lot when you or someone else places it in game. I've verified this in my own game when I started over in a new save. FYI.<br />
    <br />
    What about from your own library? Same results?
    Yes, same results, unfortunately.

• Options
    Darn!
  • Options
    Oh, and my bonsai plants wont let me convert them. It keeps saying must be excellent or better and they are perfect. The very first bonsai bud I planted had the option and I didn't do it and now I cant. Grrrr!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Does anyone know if there are grafting combinations that will make your plants become harvestable at a faster rate? I've read that this is possible but since the method was'nt mentioned, I can only assume that it's mere speculation. I would particularly like my blackberries to speed up since they seem to take the longest (maybe UFO takes longer. I'm not sure about this) Ideally I would like all my plants to become harvestable as quickly as possible. That would be a truly "perfect" garden. If there is some intrepid gardener out there who has done the required experimentation, please post your findings. Or is it simply a matter of taking cuttings from whichever plant regenerates its crop fastest and grafting them to all of the others?
  • Options
    ^ ^

Graft them onto a snapdragon plant. They seem to become harvestable the fastest. That's what I do.
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    So far I've only gardened fruits and vegetables. Are the flowers worth a lot to sell? I'm not sure what I'd do with the flowers.

I wish there was a money tree.
  • Options
    SamiKatSamiKat Posts: 3,786 Member
    samiam662 wrote: »
    Reading through the last few posts, I am alarmed and upset that we apparently cannot upload our perfect gardens, or even save them to our own library, and have them available to download for future harvesting by other sims. Gardening is much harder and takes longer in TS4. I cannot believe that the game will force us to go through this all over again with each household. I was planning to have a perfect community garden in all my games. :'( <br />
    <br />
    Also, I have a friend who has been gathering all collectibles in the game and making a room that she had planned to upload to the gallery and her library for her future sims. Apparently, that has been a futile endeavor, also. How frustrating!!
    <br />
    <br />
    I don't know if you've resolved the issue of sharing perfect plants with your other households but you actually can have a community garden within the same game. I just had my sim, who already went through the work of creating a perfect garden, bring her household harvest to the public park and plant perfects there. Now all the households can get perfect plants from that. It works great. I even set up a nice, small bungalow in the park to sleep in while they wait for a new harvest.

Yes, but I prefer to play only one family per game, so there's the rub. : ) Oh, well.
  • Options
    So Snapdragon has the fastest crop yield?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    > @Sparkopolis said:
    > So Snapdragon has the fastest crop yield?

Carl's Sims 4 Guide has lots of helpful information about gardening and other aspects of the game including a planting chart that shows how long a plant takes to grow and the value of the fruit or flowers. I made up a chart and grafted all my slow growing plants onto fast ones. It also eliminates the number of plants I have to care for by half, which is awesome.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yes I've read Carl's guide. It's what got me started down this path. But I forgot it had growth rates so thanks for the reminder. Now that I've referenced it, I can see that snapdradon is not fastest.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Okay so there are a few plants with a 24 hour growth rate. Of those, tomato has the highest payoff at $12, so I might as well graft to that plant type. Unfortunately none of the trees have the 24 turnaround though. Of the trees, apple is fastest at 36 hours, or a day and a half, so I guess I'll graft my trees to apple. I hope I'm on the right track with this.
  • Options
    moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    Plantains have the fastest growth rate, with apples not far behind. Tomatoes grow a new crop every day, although I usually harvest every other day to make sure each plant has 10 fruits. My money crop is UFOs grafted on to tomatoes. If you have no UFOs, blackberries are the highest-priced fruit.
  • Options
    moongodess wrote: »
    Plantains have the fastest growth rate, with apples not far behind. Tomatoes grow a new crop every day, although I usually harvest every other day to make sure each plant has 10 fruits. My money crop is UFOs grafted on to tomatoes. If you have no UFOs, blackberries are the highest-priced fruit.
    Oh, thanks for letting us know!