Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening discussion thread

How is everyone getting on with the gardening? Has anyone spliced anything yet or created a cow plant? I understand you have to splice a dragonfruit and a snapdragon. Ive found snapdragon but not dragon fruit. What level do you have to be be able to splice?

Also, is there a gardener to hire? I looked under services and nothing there only maid.

Comments

• Options
    LilgirlShadowLilgirlShadow Posts: 1,302 Member
    I gardener would be nice! It kinda seems like it take a while to take care of your plants in this one to me.
  • Options
    aureliaromaeaureliaromae Posts: 35 Member
    Nope, just trying to figure out the planters, and I did get her to plant an apple out in the yard, so apparently that is possible. Probably not a gardener yet either, they never did have an official one in sims 3 did they?
    Omnia vincit amor et nos cedamus amori --vergil, 38 BC
    "Caesar was a salad dressing dude."--bill and ted's excellent adventure

• Options
    GummiBearxGummiBearx Posts: 317 Member
    I am such a noob when it comes to gardening, lol. I've only been planting herbs for her to use in her meals. I reallyyyy want a cowplant though.
    2m2dkr9.jpg
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    The planters are expensive and given that you can plant direct into the ground I wonder if there is a benefit to using them. They look nice though. I want to thoroughly explore gardening and collecting, but as lilgirl says gardening takes too much time sstill. Harvesting is much quicker though but watering and weeding takes an age
  • Options
    GummiBearx wrote: »
    I am such a noob when it comes to gardening, lol. I've only been planting herbs for her to use in her meals. I reallyyyy want a cowplant though.

I really need to track down the dragonfruit to make a cowplant!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I heard the dragon fruit may be in the hidden Grotto. I saw some simmers say that over on facebook last night - talking among themselves. But did not go looking for any of the hidden lots yet. Been having too much fun just playing. Besides my sims has just started gardening a few flowers and analyzing plants with the microscope. It took him a while to save up for that. Maybe this everning when I play I will go looking for those kind of things.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    aureliaromaeaureliaromae Posts: 35 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I heard the dragon fruit may be in the hidden Grotto. I saw some simmers say that over on facebook last night - talking among themselves. But did not go looking for any of the hidden lots yet.

So much stuff to find out about....lots of googling today!

Omnia vincit amor et nos cedamus amori --vergil, 38 BC
    "Caesar was a salad dressing dude."--bill and ted's excellent adventure

• Options
    AlourraAlourra Posts: 492 Member
    Is it possible to live off of gardening without a career? I didn't have much time to play, but it didn't look like there was a gardening related career or self-employment.
  • Options
    lynnylynny Posts: 1,141 Member
    Alourra wrote: »
    Is it possible to live off of gardening without a career? I didn't have much time to play, but it didn't look like there was a gardening related career or self-employment.

I'm going to explore this option today, I'll report back later this evening.
  • Options
    ok this is weird, a friend walked by so my sim called him in, they chatted in the kitchen then I remembered she was supposed to weed the flowers so I clicked on a plant to weed it. Instead of going outside my sim then got down on her knees and started weeding the kitchen floor so that she could continue to chat to her friend. Somehow I don't think that's supposed to happen lol

weedingthekitchenfloor_zps6ea3caba.jpg

Funny thing about this is in the first house we rented years ago, we actually had grass coming up from the floor in the bedroom (in one of the corners). Apparently we had a crack in the foundation.
  • Options
    Alourra wrote: »

I have found that realistically if you want to concentrate on gardening then your sim wont have time to work. My sim grows her plants and makes a bit of money from painting to give her some income. I don't think she is going to get rich anytime soon but I think she will be very happy!

• Options
    Sapphire_Sim16Sapphire_Sim16 Posts: 127 Member
    Is there a way to sell your harvestables? I don't want her to have a job but they still need money lol.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @Sapphire_Sim16, you can sell your harvestables by dragging them to the 'sell' section on the sim inventory. Once your plants are very high quality you can make quite a bit of money this way.

@litabelaqua, my sim started in the culinarian career at the same time as gardening. I was able to manage a garden with 9 plants and still do all of the career required stuff too, but he had time for much other stuff ONLY on his days off (which is 3 days out of 7 per week). I originally tried a larger garden and after about a week of trying to keep up with it I trimmed it back a little. With Grafting it's much easier now, as I indicated above.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    I think you just sell from inventory, correct me though if that's wrong. I have a question, I've just started gardening, does the quality improve like in TS3? So far all I've gotten are normal plants.
    o2vOgnf.jpg?2
  • Options
    MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    The planters are expensive and given that you can plant direct into the ground I wonder if there is a benefit to using them. They look nice though. I want to thoroughly explore gardening and collecting, but as lilgirl says gardening takes too much time sstill. Harvesting is much quicker though but watering and weeding takes an age

I think planters will become more valuable and useful when we get a "Night Life/Downtown" style expansion. When living in an upper-floor apartment with no yard, it might be handy to have your own tomato plant to keep making fresh, free Autumn Salads. :)
  • Options
    One thing I've noticed I don't like about gardening is there is no way to plant several things at once, like in Sims 3. You have to put the seed on the ground, then individually plant each thing. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea.
  • Options
    simmey1simmey1 Posts: 580 Member
    Gosh no! I am a total noobie. Only have a few veggies growing right now. But I love gardening ( only in the sims ..lol). In the sims 2 I had a sim with an amazing garden.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I gardener would be nice! It kinda seems like it take a while to take care of your plants in this one to me.

Didn't TS2 have the option to hire a gardener - that was a plus - would be nice to have that option
  • Options
    Sapphire_Sim16Sapphire_Sim16 Posts: 127 Member
    @Jobug1015 you get the option to evolve your plants which will increase their quality. Idk if their are other ways to increase quality because she is only level 2 or 3, I forgot.
  • Options
    jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    Thanks so much! I really like gardening in TS3, I hope to master it soon!! :)
    o2vOgnf.jpg?2
  • Options
    ooooohh! what have we here?
    explore_zpse5f50f21.jpg
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I have sold my sims plants, my sims have never worked In Sims 3, so I don't want them to work in Sims 4, they are doing pretty good, they are a test sims. I have not put my Generation Sims in yet. Still testing things. I have played for about 3 hours this morning, it is so addictive I can't get away. I had my sim harvest some apples, does anyone know how to get them to eat the apples or can they?