Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    Sorry for the triple post, but I just had a thought...

@litabelaqua
    Was your sim travelling when the fruit in her inventory was increasing in value? Just wondering if that's how I ended up with that 90 tomato in my inventory....

@JoxerTM22 who also likes puzzles
  • Options
    Aaaannnndddd,,,,now it's a quadruple
    *sings while posting* All by myself...

Travelling IS also what triggers the increase in value for produce carried in your inventory. My sexy simhubs Don Lothario went to the gym and the value went up, back home and it went up again. Worked out well for him as he's working on the Fabulously Wealthy aspiration and he was carrying 91 UFOs he'd just harvested from my garden.
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    ohh how exciting I wonder how much you can make a fruit worth
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ohh how exciting I wonder how much you can make a fruit worth

I quit at 696 for a UFO - tired of having sim stand in front of dresser - so I have no idea if there is an upper limit.

Edit: Perfect UFO increases in increments of 96
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Or better said, 3*2^5. :)
    Maybe that's a constant I'm missing in the dreadful formula for environmental bonuses I'm trying to reconstruct with no success last couple of days...

That obvious bug with the value... Should we mention it to devs to get it fixed?
    I mean, if someone wants to cheat for cash, they'll use motherlode, not plants. ;)

Besides, I'd rather see them fixing splice losing the plant source description on area changing.

• Options
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Or better said, 3*2^5. :)
    Maybe that's a constant I'm missing in the dreadful formula for environmental bonuses I'm trying to reconstruct with no success last couple of days...

That obvious bug with the value... Should we mention it to devs to get it fixed?
    I mean, if someone wants to cheat for cash, they'll use motherlode, not plants. ;)

Besides, I'd rather see them fixing splice losing the plant source description on area changing.

LOL all true. Have been debating whether or not to report it. Frankly, I doubt most people will even notice.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    I finally have my first dragonfruit. Now to go for the deathflower!
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    @Nik24X7
    Woohoo! Erm... *cough* YAY!
  • Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    So glad they fixed the graft issue. I will actually go back and play my gardening family. I do have a question about harvested growables effecting meal quality. I have never, under any circumstances achieved anything higher than "excellent" on meals. Had all equipment upgrades, perfect ingredients, etc. has anyone ever had a "perfect"?
  • Options
    PyerPyer Posts: 22 Member
    only ever had excellent on meals.
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    im not entirely convinced that fruit/veg quality affects the quality of meals produced in the same way that it did in TS3, cooking skill seems to be the driving force
  • Options
    Yes, when you can make herb-crusted salmon with foul salmon and it comes out excellent.... gotta be the cooking skill, not the ingredients
  • Options
    lotlot80lotlot80 Posts: 758 Member
    I learn a lot about gardening while playing the living on the grid challenge. I really was having fun with it.

♥♥---->>> Please Leave A Comment On My NEW Builds Thread !! --- I'd Really Appreciate It. <<<----♥♥

lotlot80 wrote: »
    I learn a lot about gardening while playing the living on the grid challenge. I really was having fun with it.

Sounds like fun - I'll have to check that out!
  • Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I put my trash plant far away from my other plants and put a fence with gate around it. My other plants seem to have less bugs than my other saved game. Has anyone else played around with this?
  • Options
    SimzSizzleSimzSizzle Posts: 433 Member
    I put my trash plant far away from my other plants and put a fence with gate around it. My other plants seem to have less bugs than my other saved game. Has anyone else played around with this?
    My Sim has 3 trash plants but I didn't think to put them at a distance away. I had them inbetween the other plants & she was always getting uncomfortable, dirty surroundings so I moved them to her family inventory. It wasn't helping draw the flies to them that way anyway.
    I'll put them a distance away to see how that works.
    and
    my Sim got finally got 3 pomegranates fishing ! Surprised me because with the first one, I thought that was all she'd get but she got one the next day & the day after that.
    And she is almost at level 10 handiness. She got a desire to craft a piece of furniture so I got her the woodworking table.
    Pretty nifty thing. She can earn money while building her handiness skill !

• Options
    Did they change the flowers in this last patch? I don't remember them being so prominent - or the daisies and roses looking so much like daisies and roses, for that matter!
    flowers1.png
    flowers2.png
  • Options
    This thread is so empty in here there are echoes LOL

New graft discovered (well, likely not new, just never tried before)
    I learned that bluebells grafted to strawberries make grapes.
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited October 2014
    My garden is finally starting to look full. I have a lemon tree, blackberries, a cherry tree, an apple tree, grapes, carrots, basil, parsley, mushrooms and spinach.

Now I just need to go find some more of the other fruits and veggies and the cow plant.

For the grafting this is new to me. I want to combine my herbs into one plant my veggies into one plant and my fruits into one or two trees. Is this possible?

Also what you you guys to fertilize? I've been using mushrooms because I have so many of them.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »
    My garden is finally starting to look full. I have a lemon tree, blackberries, a cherry tree, an apple tree, grapes, carrots, basil, parsley, mushrooms and spinach.

Now I just need to go find some more of the other fruits and veggies and the cow plant.

For the grafting this is new to me. I want to combine my herbs into one plant my veggies into one plant and my fruits into one or two trees. Is this possible?

Also what you you guys to fertilize? I've been using mushrooms because I have so many of them.

where did u find the cherry trees
  • Options
    hmae123 wrote: »

where did u find the cherry trees

One of them empty lots by the Caliente house. I can't remember which one.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @catmando830
    Lemons, cherries, blackberries, tulips and onions are all over the neighborhood where the Caliente house is.

@hmae123
    There are pear trees and strawberries in the big park in Willow Creek. The potatoes, carrots, and onions all grow at the roots of the plant so they work well spliced together. Just splice one, wait a day for the plant to get big again, then splice the other. You can splice the trees and bushes together, although some make new fruits, so you might want to plan your splices that way. For example, if you graft a cherry tree to an apple tree, you will get apples, cherries, AND pomegranates. If you graft a sage to a basil, you will get sage, basil AND parsley. There is a chart on Carl's site that tells you which splices will do what and where to find some other plants.

carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/gardening/

ETA: Each plant gives a maximum of 10 fruit/veg. If you splice too many together, you may not get any of some of them each time you harvest. You can fertilize with anything - produce, flowers, fish.
  • Options
    moongodess wrote: »
    @catmando830
    Lemons, cherries, blackberries, tulips and onions are all over the neighborhood where the Caliente house is.

@hmae123
    There are pear trees and strawberries in the big park in Willow Creek. The potatoes, carrots, and onions all grow at the roots of the plant so they work well spliced together. Just splice one, wait a day for the plant to get big again, then splice the other. You can splice the trees and bushes together, although some make new fruits, so you might want to plan your splices that way. For example, if you graft a cherry tree to an apple tree, you will get apples, cherries, AND pomegranates. If you graft a sage to a basil, you will get sage, basil AND parsley. There is a chart on Carl's site that tells you which splices will do what and where to find some other plants.

carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/gardening/

ETA: Each plant gives a maximum of 10 fruit/veg. If you splice too many together, you may not get any of some of them each time you harvest. You can fertilize with anything - produce, flowers, fish.

Thank you! This is really helpful! :)
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited October 2014
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    My gardner sim is called a freelance botanist...I love that term, lol. I had some difficulty in the beginning, the hand that chose the seed packet wouldn't release and stayed that way until I rebooted the game. Thank heaven that solved the problem.

All my plants have "evolved" from normal to nice. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to graft other plants, really cool feature.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but sometimes when this happens click on your ESC key and will release it.
  • Options
    ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I grafted and got a bird of paridise