Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening discussion thread

Comments

• moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    moongodess wrote: »
    Plantains have the fastest growth rate, with apples not far behind. Tomatoes grow a new crop every day, although I usually harvest every other day to make sure each plant has 10 fruits. My money crop is UFOs grafted on to tomatoes. If you have no UFOs, blackberries are the highest-priced fruit.
    Oh, thanks for letting us know!

LOL I'm pretty sure YOU knew all of that already
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    Plantains have the fastest growth rate, with apples not far behind. Tomatoes grow a new crop every day, although I usually harvest every other day to make sure each plant has 10 fruits. My money crop is UFOs grafted on to tomatoes. If you have no UFOs, blackberries are the highest-priced fruit.
    Oh, thanks for letting us know!

LOL I'm pretty sure YOU knew all of that already
    Actually, I didn't know until now that tomatoes are the fastest growers. Most of my Sim homes don't have them so they're rare in my game. I'm gonna have to make a point to travel to Oasis Springs to harvest them from the one-and-only plant.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    You dont have to graft trees to other trees. Trees take up a lot of space so I dont have any trees on my lot. I did get one really weird graft once where instead of fruit there were lots of baby plants instead. It looked kind of like a spider plant.
    You dont have to graft trees to other trees. Trees take up a lot of space so I dont have any trees on my lot. I did get one really weird graft once where instead of fruit there were lots of baby plants instead. It looked kind of like a spider plant.

If you use the grafts carefully, you'll get extra benefits. For example, if you graft lemon and pear together, the tree will produce lemons, pears, AND plantains. Grafting cherry and apple together will give you cherry, apple, AND pomegranate. This gives you two trees with six fruit. Grafting basil and sage gives you all three spices on one bush. Makes for a very economically-sized garden if you cut and splice with an eye toward creating grafts with purpose.
  • mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    Can anyone tell me where the blackberry bush is located? Can you provide a picture of the location? I found it with the first game I played but I can't find it again and I started a new game. Carl's Sims guide states it's in the park at Oasis Springs and Sims VIP states it's at the Sultry Springside lot.
  • DippyDesignsDippyDesigns Posts: 1,809 Member
    @mskube I find them at the back of the park in Oasis Springs, just to the right of this fishing spot. They take ages before you can get to graft them so do some fishing. You may have to come back a couple of times as they do grow slowly.

10390296_1497909357136916_5762745098965278727_n.jpg?oh=9bc8d6fa88c55309e83b8f868ff0d0c3&oe=54D19E68

63447_1497909447136907_3397862949686125499_n.jpg?oh=22b54ab57448ba347e46a39d27ba1a58&oe=54D5388B&__gda__=1423683593_02b9ef42fb769ffd5570f4d50e1b9ec2
    My Origin ID is DippyDesigns

DIPPY DOODLE on Facebook

644362_1491605541100631_1472781576571833276_n.jpg?oh=c0019c8ce2de98a0158c1aba60509bc8&oe=57C1A708

There are two there - the one pictures and another off to the right past the small bathroom. There are also A LOT of them in the neighborhood where the Caliente house is. Worth spending some time there fishing/reading/whatever as there are cherry trees and tulips in the neighborhood as well.
  • mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    Thank you dippydesigns and moongodess. Last time I found them I must have hung out there a while because there are no blackberries right now. Going to try again.
  • SparkopolisSparkopolis Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2014
    I was hoping that by splicing slower growing crops like blackberry to faster ones like tomato, it would produce a blackberry that I could then plant for a faster growing blackberry bush but I guess splicing doesn't transfer growth rate characteristics that way unless you keep them on the spliced plant. I'd like it if Origin/Maxis would change that. I know many of you prefer the time economics of having multiple produce on a single plant, but that method produces less of each, albeit at a faster rate. I just wanted to see if I could get more by having single crop plants that produce faster, however, like I said, that doesn't work.

One thing I would highly recommend, for all committed gardeners, is to pick up the "Super Green Thumb" reward as soon as possible. I haven't seen that mentioned on this thread and yet it is a must-have if gardening is a source of income for your household. It definitely makes it a more economical endeavour in terms of time spent tending to my garden. Since I did that, my plants require much less attention and, while I'm not positive about this, they seem to produce faster as well. I'll watch the growth more closely to see if I can determine if that is true but gardening definitely takes less time out of my sims' day now which is very nice.
    Post edited by Sparkopolis on
  • sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    Got my hopes up for a second when I saw "fixed a pruning issue". Yes! The bonsai tree glitch is fixed, but no such luck. The "pruning" they were talking about was in reference to Sims getting deleted or "pruned".
  • HayleyBofDEHayleyBofDE Posts: 244 Member
    edited December 2014
    How long are you able cut pomegranate or Orchid? Do you have to wait for a certain "Evolve" ? How long do they take to harvest?
    Post edited by HayleyBofDE on
  • CoreyCanadianCoreyCanadian Posts: 5,701 Member
    I used to love gardening in the Sims 3, is it just me or in Sims 4 you need to be a lot more attentive. So for Sims 4 I prefer to have maybe one or two plants in the house, and the rest I hunt for in the wild.
  • BonjourwomanBonjourwoman Posts: 338 Member
    My gardening doesn't take that long anymore. I've spliced plants to make it to where I have multiple herbs and veggies on one plant. Same with my trees. Then I got a mod from ModSims to make gardening faster. :) I love gardening.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    How long are you able cut pomegranate or Orchid? Do you have to wait for a certain "Evolve" ? How long do they take to harvest?

I've heard it takes shorter if you graft onto a bush rather than a tree. And you don't have to wait for a certain plant level, but the better the level of the plant you're grafting onto the better the new harvest item will be -- so if you have a Normal strawberry cutting and you graft that onto a Great snapdragon plant, you'll get Great strawberries and dragon fruit.

Carl's guide is the go-to place for gardening info: http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/skills/gardening/
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 872 Member
    lynny wrote: »
    Ixath wrote: »
    Have people tried planting in various emotional states (inspired mainly, but the others too) ..does it offer any benefit?

Planters, if you can grow stuff indoors or use them indoors, would be able to be thrown in a room with some emotional paintings.

I'm at work and can't try any of this so I'm typing it out in case anyone wants to give it a shot.

I just moved my planter inside and set up another one beside it. No issues planting inside! That'll be handy for when they add seasons.

ETA: I just went back into my game and the only issue I see so far with planters inside is water gets on the floor, so you'll have to mop up puddles. Kind of a drag, but still nice that you can plant inside :)

It would be a good area to place the grass carpet looking stuff!
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @mskube I find them at the back of the park in Oasis Springs, just to the right of this fishing spot. They take ages before you can get to graft them so do some fishing. You may have to come back a couple of times as they do grow slowly.

I've also found them in some of the public areas in Oasis Springs -- when I moved my family to the 40x30 vacant lot (I think it's Arid Ridge), not long after I arrived there were blackberry bushes across the street (by the big lake with the fountain spray) that became harvestable. So look around to see what you can find. (Still haven't found another tomato plant other than the one near Johnny Zest's trailer -- I could never get that one ready to harvest so I just took a cutting and grafted it onto my spinach plant.) I finished the gardening collection not too long ago; the hardest was the UFO plant but my astronaut Sim finally won the race and got the fruit as a prize. He'd gotten the cowplant berry on an earlier mission, but one of my fishing Sims has pulled out about three from that fishing spot you mentioned in Oasis Springs.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • HayleyBofDEHayleyBofDE Posts: 244 Member
    I've gone to Carl's guide site a couple of times. It listed how long it takes for them to start growing. Right now since I last posted. Pomegranate & orchid are at perfect, but not with fully peddles. I tried to cut pomegranate as perfect. But still not in my inventory. My only guess now is to wait til it gets fully peddles? I still have never harvest them yet. So I'm guessing til there fully peddles too?

I got a death flower too. My death flower is almost to perfect. I never cut it though. Also haven't been to harvest it. So I'm guessing right now the same way as pomegranate & orchid?
  • kreepsymusickreepsymusic Posts: 155 Member
    I was wondering if any other gardener's had this issue? After purchasing/playing Outdoor Retreat my plants do not evolve. I get the interaction and "evolve" them but they reset to good.
    10945750_1527022374224874_7723481051081880925_n.jpg?oh=5a48d0796e5edf28ba6927ae38538893&oe=5551CE32
  • katandmarikatandmari Posts: 438 Member
    I've gone to Carl's guide site a couple of times. It listed how long it takes for them to start growing. Right now since I last posted. Pomegranate & orchid are at perfect, but not with fully peddles. I tried to cut pomegranate as perfect. But still not in my inventory. My only guess now is to wait til it gets fully peddles? I still have never harvest them yet. So I'm guessing til there fully peddles too?

I got a death flower too. My death flower is almost to perfect. I never cut it though. Also haven't been to harvest it. So I'm guessing right now the same way as pomegranate & orchid?

What do the petals mean? I have been wondering that. It doesn't make sense to me, I can't figure it out.

• Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I've evolved 4 plants to Great, so they aren't all stuck at Good (huckleberries, muckleberries, elderberries, and noxious elderberries). However, all 4 are from the new plants added by Outdoor Retreat, so they were all planted after I added the game pack. It's possible that things planted before the game pack might be stuck. Try replanting and see if your new plants evolve.

The petals show the plant's progress towards the next level. They can't be evolved until they reach 10 petals. (I'm glad you figured out what "peddles" meant, I was baffled)
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i evolve my plants too. i just don't understand what happens when i do that.
  • sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    I get the cow berry, but no matter what I do, water, weed, talk to ect. They do not live very long. As for the rest I have gotten all of them at one time, now a new generation is trying to work it up again.
    Sketch793 wrote: »
    I've evolved 4 plants to Great, so they aren't all stuck at Good (huckleberries, muckleberries, elderberries, and noxious elderberries). However, all 4 are from the new plants added by Outdoor Retreat, so they were all planted after I added the game pack. It's possible that things planted before the game pack might be stuck. Try replanting and see if your new plants evolve.

The petals show the plant's progress towards the next level. They can't be evolved until they reach 10 petals. (I'm glad you figured out what "peddles" meant, I was baffled)

Thanks I could never figure it out. Before I installed the new game pack I have been having an issue of some plants being stuck at good. Haven't been back to that house yet to check on it since I got the new pack.

I was able to figure it out phonetically, but I am used to it, my hubby can't spell...lol

The plants quality goes up there by producing better quality produce, which makes better food or sells for a better price.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    katandmari wrote: »

The plants quality goes up there by producing better quality produce, which makes better food or sells for a better price.

thank you sometimes even with the guide i get confused.