Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your favourite active career?

I'm honestly surprised no one's done a poll on this yet :tongue: But really the title speaks for itself. Have fun, I look forward to reading everyone's responses! :)

(I would've put magician, acrobat and singer separately, but I can't have more than 10 poll options! :angry:)

What's your favourite active career? 109 votes

Firefighter
9%
jobug1015EarcatAnmirlamonjr8302kiara07emorrilljillbgdeedles64TechbiltHeatha 10 votes
Architect
11%
MINEZMissyHissySims33337LaurenNumberOneInternal_ChaosshnailehButtersimsAvataritPatricewhimreaperxstxrrysequencezanyshaneAwkwardElf 13 votes
Private Investigator
5%
zagboorulesTildeLMaiynaMaladi777SimsInHogwartsMollyDTheSims 6 votes
Doctor
5%
Kelvincoolsim9999999AshleyAOSaintcihaveaplaniswearHak_vin 6 votes
Ghost Hunter
13%
Akl500PFosoSamjaletu2005Mi9shaoscarWritin_RegAuroraBoreallisSPARKY1922Emo-usagi2187KayeStarGoulsquashhappyopiEA_MaiGamingTweetyPricklyTrashAliceAngelis 15 votes
Stylist
9%
Emily4331phantasmkissbecks1112BreazonaKNORearKevinL5275YuriTheCreatorPhoeSavsMom_83RememberJoyblueamber 10 votes
Self-employment (specify in comments)
31%
pisceschick75PlayerRayLeesuzsesZhakiraPRhiannon58SurrealParyalanmichael1MikezumicwaddellSimplyJenGabbyGirlJlisasc360starguruAlexaKryAceOfKnavesCravenLestatbekkasanSindocatChuChuExpress 34 votes
Magician/Acrobat/Singer (specify in comments)
7%
IreneSwiftilikethesims30StephStebSimtown15budewarminIVXXXVIGTAbestplayer123Simmingal 8 votes
Daycare
4%
sassygray5mariajane216Vivi_WillowTreeTodilooPenguinBudgie 5 votes
Lifeguard
1%
AmphoraTinySpaceFox 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    I was torn between Firefighter and Self Employed. I went for self employed, more specifically, writing. Rachel Applebee owns a holo computer, so she doesn't have to write in her Loveheart Chateau study all the time. Plus, the world is your office!
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    Lifeguard
    @Steamvarius Thanks for voting :) that's very true about being able to work anywhere! I guess the open work hours are a plus, too!
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I love Nectar Making and Alchemy. I find self employment much more fun as a career choice.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    My sims are usually self-employed gardeners. Not because they need the money but because they are going to garden anyway since perfect quality produce and food are important to me. The only reason they register as self-employed is to stop the incessant rolling of wishes to get a job every time the paper is delivered.
  • Options
    FosoSamFosoSam Posts: 637 Member
    Ghost Hunter
    Ghost Busting, for sure.

I absolutely adore paranormal investigation shows and podcasts, so I get to pretend the same nonsense is happening on my Sims game.
    q6goV2s.png
    Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!
  • Options
    Lifeguard
    Thanks for voting @Pary and @Mikezumi :) good point, producing great-quality stuff for your own household is a nice bonus! Unless, of course, you’re a self-employed artist, so you end up having to sell just about every picture your Sim paints instead of being able to hang it up on the wall :cry:
  • Options
    Lifeguard
    Thanks for voting @FosoSam :) I really should try out the ghost hunter career when I get the chance, it looks like a lot of fun :>
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    It really is a favourite since I mostly make the sims I want to play myself for a longer time be self employed, mainly to have free time yet that little weekly stipend, and I would guess, the status in other sims' eyes from having and levelling up in a career. The things produced is kept if wanted. But I also had such fun playing the Architect (and Stylist); fixing the houses and sims to my liking, that I almost picked that one from memory. The last time I played it though I did not really take good care of the game which sort of coloured that experience, the game totally massacred as a result. I think I will try it again though.
  • Options
    AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    My Sims are nearly all self-employed, because I like that they don´t have working hours, where they have to go to work.
    For me it´s not important that they have regular income, after they maxxed out the writing/painting/sculptoring... skills they will earn more than enough for their living.
    And without working hours they could do whatever they want every time!
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited June 2019
    Firefighter
    Ghost Hunter is a very close 2nd.
    It's hilarious to have a Werewolf in the firefighter career.
    Post edited by Anmirla on
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I chose self-employed because I actually like all them, but most careers get repetitive and too demanding after some time. I wish they had made something that I would choose whether I'm ready to do a quest, like a board or a specific action.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited June 2019
    Ghost hunter. I've tried some of the others though, liked the Fortune Teller. I don't know there was a doctor career?
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited June 2019
    I've tried several varieties of self-employed and like all those I've tried.

In my early days playing I often had a gardener or a painter. When Pets came out I really enjoyed equestrian. Another that I often play is writer.

If there are more than one adult in a household I like all but one to have rabbit hole careers. That way I can manage the self employed sim without too much distraction from the other sims.
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Doctor
    Because you get to inject a large quantity of suspicious liquid into non-questioning people at the graveyard :D

Apr23_doctor3.jpg
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Stylist
    Ghost hunter. I've tried some of the others though, liked the Fortune Teller. I don't know there was a doctor career?

If you have Ambitions sometimes your doctor will get opportunities to go out into the community and diagnose and treat people.
    Otherwise its a rabbit hole career at the hospital.

I picked Stylist because I love dressing up the sims in various outfits that are way better than the default they start in. And yes I'm still secure in my masculinity. :D:D:D
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Alchemist!
  • Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    One of my favorite things about TS2 was the Open For Business EP because all of my stay-at-home parents could open a business of their choice right at home. It was AWESOME. So the self-employment option for TS3 is very appealing. My founding Sim started a garden to feed the family and this has grown into a huge enclosed garden that the 5th generation will start caring for soon. Being able to register as a gardener helped the family a good deal when they needed the cash.

I have a rule that all of my Sims, if employed, must have different careers than any other Sim. I want to experience all that I can. So I will eventually get around to trying all that you have on this poll. I will say that it's very difficult to have more than one active career in a family of 8 so I have limited experience. I just finally had my fireman retire and I have to say he was fun to work with.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,288 Member
    I chose self-employment because when I play ma household of 1 sim. My SS is a self-employed painter, so I get to chose when she paints and how often she during the day that she paints.

Ghost hunting is also one of my favorites as I have a couple of saves with one sim from them as a ghost hunter. I have a Scooby Doo save and I have Fred as the ghost hunter... :)
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    This is one of the polls where I wish I can pick several options instead of just one! Officially, my favorite active careers are: firefighter, doctor, self employment and lifeguard. The only reason why I haven't checked off the others is because I haven't played them yet or fully played them yet. I've played the detective and ghost hunter ones which I don't think I've gotten too far in. I'll have to play them some more to give more complete feedback. I just need to come up with a setting and story for them that will work for me.

For self-employment my absolute favorite career is scuba diving! I don't know why I love it so much, but it's so much fun to me to explore the diving lots, try to avoid the sharks and catching fish and collecting shells and bottles. It also can make a TON of money if you have the suave seller LTR and born salesman/woman trait. The suave seller LTR increases the money you get from diving jobs for the science company, town hall, bistro and diner by thousands. For example, if they want 2 eels, they'll give you 33,000 simoleons for them! Also if you send your fish to the consignment store, that will get you A LOT more than if you sell them to the supermarket! I got very rich quickly with this career! If you are also running a hotel, the funds from that will help you out a lot so that you can buy stuff for the hotel that meets the guests' demands and help you make that 5-star rating!

Firefighting is hands down my favorite active career from Ambitions. I liked being able to build my handiness skill during work hours and inventing new gadgets and toys with the invention station. This is great for leveling up your handiness quickly to 10 so that you can get everything from build/buy on discount! It also gives you a side job of fixing things around town quickly for some extra money. You get your firetruck too which is cool! On top of that, I like all the emergencies my firefighting sims face - they're dramatic with the epic background music playing, the urgency of fighting fires, closing up gas leaks and clearing debris to save lives. It's all so exciting!

Zerbu's Ultimate Careers version of the active doctor career is my favorite as well! With his version, I created a work lot that have skill building items specific to the science and medical careers (both have similar skills) and then assign both of those careers to the lot. The next day, both science and medical professionals go there and automatically use the items there such as the Science Research Station, Chemistry Lab, Brain Enhancing Machine, or even the Group Science Station. They can also make things with the Bot Making Station or the Invention Station. Using invented gadgets will also be credited towards work! They can also use the Whiteboard to explain new theories or equations or use the Anatomy Skeleton to review or teach others about the sim anatomy. They can also play chess or dominoes to have fun while working! I think he forgot to add the telescope but I added it to the lot anyway!

The mod doesn't support opportunities, but if you have MasterController and it's Cheats module, you can activate immunization events anytime you wish anywhere you want, so I activate them in a room at the work site.

Random people getting sick which the doctor has to treat on the spot still works though!

I think the lifeguard active career on its own is kind of slow and boring but if you have the lifeguard do stuff in between rescues, it is actually pretty productive and fun! So add stuff to the beach their patrolling like gym equipment, painting easel, surfing station, basketball court, rock climbing, soccer goal, water balloon fight, invention station, sculpture station, etc. Have your lifeguard sim use all these things, get to know the people who visit the beach, build sandcastles, read skill-building books, cookbooks or regular books, etc. while you manually scan the area for drowning or fainting sims. You can then send your lifeguard sim to them. If you're tired of manually doing this yourself, you can have your lifeguard automatically patrol and rescue. They won't use any of the other stuff you put there when they're in this mode!

The next active careers I want to explore is the stylist and architect active careers. I've seen posts about them, and I think they sound pretty exciting and interesting! I can't wait to get to them soon!

I haven't done daycare. When my sims become parents, it is both reward and exhausting, so I don't think I want to do a career of doing that EVERY. DARN. DAY!

I've done the acrobat active career. I think the costumes are so beautiful for it and the animations are amazing! I don't think I gave it enough time to fully appreciate it. I just played it just to see what it's like but I don't think I gave it enough creative credence to it, mostly because I just don't like Starlight Shores very much. The acrobat and magician career to me would be more interesting in a medieval or fantasy setting, so I'm going to use those careers in Dragon Valley and set up carnivals there where they can perform.

The singer career, I think I will set up in Bridgeport. It fits in more with the celebrities and actors there.

Geez! There is just SO MUCH TO DO IN TS3! Just from this post alone, I have a lot of careers I still haven't gotten around to, but now I'm even more determined to do them!
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »

If you have Ambitions sometimes your doctor will get opportunities to go out into the community and diagnose and treat people.
    Otherwise its a rabbit hole career at the hospital.

I picked Stylist because I love dressing up the sims in various outfits that are way better than the default they start in. And yes I'm still secure in my masculinity. :D:D:D

Oh, okay. One of my Sims has done that.

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I am currently playing a save with my SS in the daycare career. Daycare is so far from fun that if I hadn't added a husband and adopted child for Mikezumi I would be smashing my face into the keyboard! I think the reason that Daycare, and a lot of the other non-rabbithole jobs don't fit me is because I prefer to let my sims do what they want and I can't do that while Mikezumi is taking care of the needs of demanding toddlers. I always pick LTWs that are skill based so that my sims will achieve them without any direction from me. I am not a hands-on player.
  • Options
    AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    ChocoCub wrote: »
    Because you get to inject a large quantity of suspicious liquid into non-questioning people at the graveyard :D

Apr23_doctor3.jpg

I HAD NO IDEA!!! OMG!!! I've never picked a doctor SINCE ambitions because I prefer non rabbit holes (usually have one rabbit hole worker in the household just so I know what day it is! :lol: but I had no idea of the extra things the doctor could do outside of work! SO COOL!
  • Options
    AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    edited June 2019

This cracked me up - all I could think was "and I've NEVER loved it, just do it because I hate the clothes some of them wear, and because if they're even friends of my active family I hate seeing them in the same clothes dayyyy after dayyy after dayyy.... But I'm totally still secure in my femininity" :lol::lol:
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    My sims are mostly self-employed (all of the choices work for me). I like the flexibility. Frequently, money isn't the priority and neither is advancing the career particularly far. Substantial income is more likely to come from real estate and/or their cute and useful dogs who hunt up valuable stuff.

The other active careers are too demanding/rigid for me unless I'm only playing one sim, and I'm never doing that, so I haven't touched one in a pretty long time.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited June 2019
    Lifeguard
    I love the lifeguard career but another favorite for me would have to be Ghostbusting.

One of sims got a job as a Paranormal Profiteer and he recently busted a ghost for stealing wine from the nectary. :D
    tumblr_pt66xeMCxG1xq9hdmo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pt66xeMCxG1xq9hdmo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_pt66xeMCxG1xq9hdmo6_1280.jpg