Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your favourite active career?

Comments

• FosoSamFosoSam Posts: 637 Member
    Ghost Hunter
    Anmirla wrote: »
    Ghost Hunter is a very close 2nd.
    It's hilarious to have a Werewolf in the firefighter career.

You just made me realise I could have a ghost busting ghosts
    q6goV2s.png
    Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    ChocoCub wrote: »
    Because you get to inject a large quantity of suspicious liquid into non-questioning people at the graveyard :D

Apr23_doctor3.jpg

I HAD NO IDEA!!! OMG!!! I've never picked a doctor SINCE ambitions because I prefer non rabbit holes (usually have one rabbit hole worker in the household just so I know what day it is! :lol: but I had no idea of the extra things the doctor could do outside of work! SO COOL!
    I'm not voting on this one because it's too difficult for me to decide on only one favorite.

But those community lot clinics the doctors get to run crack me up every time. I didn't even realize Ambitions was required, the scenarios are in-career opportunities that spawn during the workday.

Doctor says, "Open wide and say 'Moo!'"
    (patient opens wide and says "Ahh!")
    "No, no, not 'Ahh." Say 'Moo!'"
    (how does one say "Moo" while opening wide?)

Doctor examines patient, reads over chart, and hands them a capsule the size of a small horse.
    Patient looks at it as if to say, "And what exactly do you expect me to do with that?!"

It's really tricky to get through all of the patients who show up, especially when it gets crowded and we don't keep track of the order in which everyone arrives. My friendlier medical professionals try to chat with some of them, which then makes the others angry because they have to wait too long or the scenario times out before enough of them are treated for it to be considered successful.

I like the career because, although it's kind of artificial with sims who would never be ill suddenly becoming so whenever the doctor goes out and about on their own time, it still feels like they are doing something to help their fellow sims just about every day. I wonder if an Evil doctor could develop a knack for actually not being helpful on purpose but charging their patients or the insurance companies or whoever pays for these treatments the same. >:)

The most annoying thing is the number of family occasions my medical professionals have had to miss because that blasted pager goes off and they are expected to report to the Emergency Room (rabbithole) during all kinds of off-hours. But that's also why it's one of the highest paying rabbithole careers, even beating out the Level 10 Military one with its single 18-hour shift per week.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Magician/Acrobat/Singer (specify in comments)
    At first I was going to choose self-employment, because I play more sims self-employed than any other active career. But then I realized that since I enjoy hearing my singer sims sing so much, I actually get more real pleasure out of playing singers, even though I don't do that as much as self-employment, because the singer career isn't very family friendly. Even better than listening to a singer sing is having them sing karaoke with another sim with level 3 skill.

I'm currently alternating 2 saves, one with a singer and the other with her aged up daughter who is my very first in the film career. I used NRaas Master Controller to give the singer's husband level 3 in karaoke so I can have them sing together often. And I found out with the daughter in the film career that there is at least one active "job," like with the ones for doctors. I didn't have her do it, because her work panel changed to skipping work as soon as she left the building to do it, and she was already losing performance too often from getting stressed at work. So I canceled and sent her back into the rabbithole. She hasn't been offered any others since, but she's only in her second sim week.
    edited June 2019
    @IreneSwift - There are four for the Acting career. I believe that the Missing Work status only applies while the sim is en route to wherever they have to go to carry out the career opportunity, but am not sure it always registers that the sim is attempting to hand out flyers or whatever. One way around the Missing Work penalty might be to not begin the opp until around an hour from the end of their shift so the penalty still won't be very much, but I think they usually more than make up for any losses in performance before the day is entirely over if they are actually successful at carrying out the task.

Not sure how one fails at the picking up food one, maybe they get hungry and eat it all on the way back to the set? :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited June 2019
    @igazor Picking up food was the one she was offered. Do they actually get paid enough to make up the income lost in the rabbithole? I've had doctors do the vaccinations, and they don't get paid anywhere near enough to make up the lost rabbithole pay, so I never do those anymore. Besides that, if their performance bar is full, they won't get the promotion at the end of the work day unless they're in the rabbithole.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Firefighter
    Just love firefighters! And the career is challenging! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
    @IreneSwift - Oh, I was concentrating on the job performance penalties/score, not the wage they are making for that day, so am not sure. And yes, there isn't much benefit to completing an opp like that if their performance scores are already at or near the top for their current job level as they were probably approaching a promotion at the end of that work day or the next one anyway.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Architect
    I could not decide between Architect / Stylist / Daycare
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Self-employment (specify in comments)

I do a lot of different careers including rabbit hole careers depending on the story, but, by far my favorite is self employed and being able to do what I want with that sim. I currently have one PI which I've done in the past, but so long ago I forgot half the stuff that happens. I've done artists, photographers....which is fun too, gardeners, alchemists, models which is a mod career, scuba divers, collectors, writers, nectar makers and several others I can't think of right now. I have a couple of real estate moguls that buy up the town properties. I've got a couple of sims who are philanthropists and try to help the needy. They are technically unemployed via Nraas so as to not be forced into a job, but make plenty of money from investments.
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Firefighter
    These are all such good careers, Honestly I live for the home design one but I have to say firefighter is probably my favorite. Whenever my firefighter sim has a toddler/baby I usually drag the toddler/baby to work with the little swing, playpen, walking helper thing from the sims 3 stores and have them work on their needs and skills while my sim is at work. and usually other sims are there if my sim gets called away to a fire so it works out!
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Firefighter
    My favorite is Firefighter, though a lot o my female sims are gardeners, painters, sculptors or fishers. They always have at least two kids, probably four so they can keep working while they're pregnant.
  • pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 540 Member
    Most of my sims have core careers...but those that don't are self-employed farmers. Growing fruits and vegetables can bring in some serious simoleons if they have big enough crops. Especially if there are rare fruits and vegetables to sell!
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Most of my Sims are self-employed. The best part about these for me is that my Sims can work as little or as often as they want/need, and set their work schedules around their families and social activities. One of my current Sims is a brooding poet/self-employed writer. My favorites tend to be gardening and nectar-making, but I also like inventing, and diving and sculpting and... :lol: I truly enjoy them all, and love the additional self-employed options available via NRaas Careers.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    This is hard. I love the Doctor career because I don't want to follow my sim to work most of the time but I do like getting a glimpse sometimes and so I'll do those pop up clinics when the opportunity comes up. I like the Acting career for similar reasons.

I also like the self employed Writer career because my sims has no set hours they can just set up camp somewhere and start writing and I love coming up with names for the books and having the sim's friends and family read it.

A few of these I haven't played yet but Ghost Hunter and Firefighter were fun too. and I cracked up when one of my sims became a private investigator and was hiding behind two small handheld bushes to disguise herself eavesdropping.

If I had to narrow it down it's between Doctor and Writer.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Definitely Acrobat, I play that one so much!
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    I’m torn between singer firefighter and ghost hunting I didn’t know doctor was active
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I like a lot of the self-employed careers, and I tend to use most of the available ones at some point. Almost every household has a gardener sooner rather than later, for the perfect produce if nothing else. Most kids take up writing, painting, fishing, or inventing, and register as self-employed as teenagers to reap the benefits of their hard work. Since they're building the skills anyway, why not?

But I think my favorite skill to monetize is sculpting. I love trying to decorate the house with brilliant or masterpiece sculptures; it's a lifelong project, even for a long-lived sim. Sure, the bills are ridiculous, but with the money coming in from selling the normal quality stuff at the consignment store, it's not even close to a problem. (Yes, I know there's a No Bills Ever LTR, but that seems like cheating, and besides, superrich sims should at least pretend to care about contributing to society.)

As a bonus, existing sculptures massively appreciate in value not only when the artist dies, but when the sim instead buys a reprieve with a death flower as well. Of course, the ones I want to keep get more valuable too, but there's a tradeoff for everything.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    @puzzlezaddict Try placing the Old Mill Water Wheel on the lot, a bit of (old fashioned) esthetics that will halve the bills!
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    A licensed professional refuse raider or as your silly sims with no class like to call it,Dumpster Diver.

SCORE!!!

TYtpzti.gif
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • zanyshanezanyshane Posts: 62 Member
    Architect
    I chose the architect because even though it is a more vanilla choice (in that it takes what you could basically already do in the game and made it a career), I feel that it can be pretty fun!

Sometimes, if I did not want to do a good job, I would take some more "creative choices." It is cool because you actually change other sims homes and there is no other real way to do that from an in-game perspective.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Almost every family I make has at least one self-employed sim. Writing, gardening, and painting are probably the ones I use the most. But I've probably used pretty much all of them at some point. Aside from that, I think ghost hunting is a lot of fun. That's the one I would have chosen if self-employed wasn't on the list.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • YuriTheCreatorYuriTheCreator Posts: 60 Member
    Stylist
    Stylist. Some of the poor townies need a HUGE makeover so they look like actual sims and not robots with human AI. I might be a bit biased as I spend more time making sims then in game, though.

Architect is a close second, I have tons of ideas for interior home designing or remodeling, but the profession always felt kind of limiting.

April 8, 2015 is when I came out of that smelly old closet... 🚶‍♂️🚪
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Self-employment has different paths you can take and that can be expanded upon even further with mods. It's something I find at lease of one my sims doing each generation. My top favorite paths to take: Gardener, Painter, Writer

Professions/Active Careers are great and I enjoy the ones that I've played but they can become repetitive after a while so I'll only play them every few generations. I still haven't played a Firefighter or Private Investigator yet.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    Ghost Hunter
    I loved ghost hunter - cause who you gonna call anyway! LOL It let me check out houses I didn't play - without halting the game. Sometimes made me decide to move one of my own sims in them and toss the folks out that lived there. LOL.
    Also as a ghost hunter I found some of the ghost haunting the houses as interesting sims to bring back to life - so it was a multi-use career for my sim.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Alchemist!

Same! Runners up include self-employed in Writing and Painting, but usually those are just bonus money hobbies.

Ghost Hunting is also fun from time to time, but only occasionally as a change of pace. Alchemy is my go-to active career.