Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Del Sol Valley was small on purpose

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    loutredor wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    SimGuruKate said worlds going forward will be BOTH big and small to combat performance issues. Not just small like the OP is trying to portray, there were like 2 other twitter threads they conviently left out.

The question is does what they said about why this one is so small make sense? No. Because if it's about performance then how can some be ok to be large now while others will be small? That is such a contradiction.

I think what they meant is it is a question of balance. They may have to make a very small world if the rest of the pack may already have an important impact on performance. If future packs were to be lighter gameplay wise, then larger worlds may be able to be included in them.
    At least that's how I understood it.
    It still seems like a poor decision to me though, to add restrictions to the already existing restrictions (closed world) just for performance reasons. If the game may have performance issues in the future they I think they may want to work on the core features causing them (like all the worlds existing in all game saves) instead of making smaller packs.

Well as a consumer - when they tell us when this game came out that it did not have the limits on it that former Sims games had thanks to design and smart technology and for 4 years has stood behind the marker that they could produce this game as long as it was feasible to do so as it has no limits - they need to not reverse how they explained this game was and why it was like it was - and bring up limits - after all they said it had no limits. Then to say for performance issues they had to limit the lots - well I see the lots load one at a time - unlike Sims 3 and has no bearing on how many are in the game.

So if something that has no bearing on the game like lots - then why make less lots - never mind using it as an excuse when they simply messed up and chose to put fake lots in the place of usable ones. Don't give me LIMITS in a game touted for 4 years not to have limits - and yet every time we turn around they are limiting something.

Lack of lots has been an issue throughout this - game - believe me giving us even less and trying to justify it, is beyond ludicrous.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    SimGuruKate said worlds going forward will be BOTH big and small to combat performance issues. Not just small like the OP is trying to portray, there were like 2 other twitter threads they conviently left out.

The question is does what they said about why this one is so small make sense? No. Because if it's about performance then how can some be ok to be large now while others will be small? That is such a contradiction.

I think what they meant is it is a question of balance. They may have to make a very small world if the rest of the pack may already have an important impact on performance. If future packs were to be lighter gameplay wise, then larger worlds may be able to be included in them.
    It still seems like a poor decision to me though, to add restrictions to the already existing restrictions (closed world) just for performance reasons. If the game may have performance issues in the future they I think they may want to work on the core features causing them (like all the worlds existing in all game saves) instead of making smaller packs.

Well as a consumer - when they tell us when this game came out that it did not have the limits on it that former Sims games had thanks to design and smart technology and for 4 years has stood behind the marker that they could produce this game as long as it was feasible to do so as it has no limits - they need to not reverse how they explained this game was and why it was like it was - and bring up limits - after all they said it had no limits. Then to say for performance issues they had to limit the lots - well I see a bold face lie seeing the lots load one at a time - unlike Sims 3 and has no bearing on how many are in the game - as let's face it only one lot can load at a time. It is the design of a very closed world.

So if something that has no bearing on the game like lots - then why skirt making less lots - never mind using it as an excuse when they simply messed up and chose to put fake lots in the place of usable ones. Don't give me LIMITS in a game touted for 4 years not to have limits - and yet every time we turn around they are limiting something and coming up with lame excuses.

Believe me I can be the most understandable person in the world when honest dialogue and simple respect as a valued customer is given me - but I have no use for fabrications.

Yeah I can't see how having more lots would affect performance in a closed world either. Initially I hoped it meant they were working on open neighborhoods. But then I saw this:
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well as a consumer - when they tell us when this game came out that it did not have the limits on it that former Sims games had thanks to design and smart technology and for 4 years has stood behind the marker that they could produce this game as long as it was feasible to do so as it has no limits - they need to not reverse how they explained this game was and why it was like it was - and bring up limits - after all they said it had no limits. Then to say for performance issues they had to limit the lots - well seeing the lots load one at a time - unlike Sims 3 and has no bearing on how many are in the game.

So if something that has no bearing on the game like lots - then why make less lots - never mind using it as an excuse when they simply messed up and chose to put fake lots in the place of usable ones. Don't give me LIMITS in a game touted for 4 years not to have limits - and yet every time we turn around they are limiting something.

Yeah I can't see how having more lots would affect performance in a closed world either. Initially I hoped it meant they were working on open neighborhoods. But then I saw this:

You cannot patch in an open neighborhood. Open neighborhood starts at the engine design and is incorporated in a world as the basegame is built. They would have to re build from the ground up to even open up just a neighborhood, never mind the world itself. They would never do that. Open neighborhood would have to be capable of loading every single thing at once the minute you stepped into that hood.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

According to her second tweet it’s about balance. They can’t do only small worlds or only large ones. They have to do both? I don’t know, I never said it made sense lol.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

So if there’s a ton of gameplay (as there should be) in an EP then we get a small
    World. If there isn’t a ton of gameplay then we get a big world? I’d say this is about right? Windenburg is our biggest world, no? That introduced clubs which isn’t too crazy as far as gameplay (imo). So that’s why the world was so big.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options

So if there’s a ton of gameplay (as there should be) in an EP then we get a small
    World. If there isn’t a ton of gameplay then we get a big world? I’d say this is about right? Windenburg is our biggest world, no? That introduced clubs which isn’t too crazy as far as gameplay (imo). So that’s why the world was so big.

You forget the club system - that is rather massive in all kinds of game play added to form different clubs and it is constantly used in each new ep. The dance system is not tiny. You need to relook at all the gameplay that came with Get together that runs through and with every single pack. That is just a great world and lots of game play - which came brand new to the game - and was not warmed over soup like some of the newer packs come with.

Forget number of lots - they could have way more - the fact remains the game uses one lot at a time - period.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited November 2018
    Fine, some worlds big, some small, but, Del Sol Valley is one of those worlds that should not be small.
    It should have 5 lots in reach residential area and even an extra are for beach front property. It's supposed to be a big city.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2018
    Honestly I kinda wished they had included some apartment lots in Del Sol Valley, that way we would've at least had more liveable lots. The world size is definitely something I hope they won't repeat. It doesn't even matter that much to me and I think BB's size is fine, for example, but the BB size should honestly be the minimum size for any EP.
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited November 2018
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Honestly I kinda wished they had included some apartment lots in Del Sol Valley, that way we would've at least had more liveable lots. The world size is definitely something I hope they won't repeat. It doesn't even matter that much to me and I think BB's size is fine, for example, the BB siez should honestly be the minimum size for any EP.

I too wish they'd put at least one apt. bldg in the new world, preferably full of cheap apt.s.

Briefly offtopic--anyone else have problems with acronyms? When I see BB, I think Botany Bay! :lol: I'm afraid I don't really pay attention to the names of most of the towns in TS4, and would rename most of them if I could. :wink:

hastily edited to add: definitely not objecting to the acronyms, merely laughing at what my brain does with them!
  • Options
    Tiarella wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Honestly I kinda wished they had included some apartment lots in Del Sol Valley, that way we would've at least had more liveable lots. The world size is definitely something I hope they won't repeat. It doesn't even matter that much to me and I think BB's size is fine, for example, the BB siez should honestly be the minimum size for any EP.

I too wish they'd put at least one apt. bldg in the new world, preferably full of cheap apt.s.

Briefly offtopic--anyone else have problems with acronyms? When I see BB, I think Botany Bay! :lol: I'm afraid I don't really pay attention to the names of most of the towns in TS4, and would rename most of them if I could. :wink:

hastily edited to add: definitely not objecting to the acronyms, merely laughing at what my brain does with them!

I feel you :D I keep reading GF as either granite falls or girlfriend because that's what it stood for til recently
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    @SimTrippy - :lol: I cannot tell you what my brain reads GF as because it would be against the forum rules. :lol:
  • Options
    Tiarella wrote: »
    @SimTrippy - :lol: I cannot tell you what my brain reads GF as because it would be against the forum rules. :lol:

I can imagine :joy:
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Hope they do a bigger world next time
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    ThisISMariaThisISMaria Posts: 104 Member
    Judging by the twitter responses about the Gurus response, our community seems too nice. If people really want change in this community they need to be more assertive with their words. What a lame excuse, "Performance issues". Yeah right, they seem just lazy to me. The only good DLC that was actually worth the money was Seasons/CityLiving/Parenthood yet they'll charge us like $50 USD for the pack and expect everyone to buy it, which they probably will unfortunately.
    Cute-Russian-Girl-Smiles-Waves-For-The-Camera-Russia-At-The-2014-Fifa-World-Cup.gif
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    I am not computer literate but since the terrain tools come out around the same time. Do you think maybe the world creation was put aside to work on the terrain tool and therefore what was done on this world before they decided
    to put in terrain tools was what we got?

Ok but Terrain Tools come in a free update, Get Famous costs $40.

I know that but they did a lot of work on the terrain tools. If we are getting something for free in a patch it is good for the morale of the community. Maybe it is more work to make more houses and lots in a town than to do the terrain tools.
  • Options
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I am not computer literate but since the terrain tools come out around the same time. Do you think maybe the world creation was put aside to work on the terrain tool and therefore what was done on this world before they decided
    to put in terrain tools was what we got?

Ok but Terrain Tools come in a free update, Get Famous costs $40.

I know that but they did a lot of work on the terrain tools. If we are getting something for free in a patch it is good for the morale of the community. Maybe it is more work to make more houses and lots in a town than to do the terrain tools.

No one asked for more houses - we just wanted empty lots.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    What is Del Sol Valley?
  • Options
    What is Del Sol Valley?

New World in the new Ep coming out Nov. 16th.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    A guru maintains this is a big world, the community seems to disagree but it will still sell regardless.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited November 2018
    I won't be buying the new EP until February - hopefully it is on sale by then, I'm over paying full price for these things, and missing out on the sale down the time road.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    A guru maintains this is a big world, the community seems to disagree but it will still sell regardless.

@MidnightAura Of course it will sell, because people don't seem to care enough in this community about whether or not a product is worth the money. EA know this and they take advantage. EA has no competition in regards to Sims and people that really enjoy Sims want to continue to play more content and unfortunately don't have the patience to wait until half-finished, full priced DLC's to go on sale. None of the DLC's are even worth paying full price for besides CL/Seasons/PH and maybe Cats/Dogs if I were to be generous.
    Post edited by ThisISMaria on
    Cute-Russian-Girl-Smiles-Waves-For-The-Camera-Russia-At-The-2014-Fifa-World-Cup.gif
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    I would say it depends on whats going on in those lots.
  • Options
    Glad someone agrees. It's actually ridiculous honestly. The background seems more intriguing than the allowed plot-able lands themselves. So much space left to be used like all the beach side buildings and yet we get arguably not even half of a map to build on for what? so they can charge $50 USD?
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited November 2018

I suppose it is big in terms of fake 3D background which is useless gameplay wise. But it's the usable space, the space we can edit (in sims 4 this is restricted to lot's) which defines the world size for many players.

I understand if not all worlds are large (in terms of playable lots) but urban setting should be able to house many families.
    Post edited by Atreya33 on