Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Del Sol Valley was small on purpose

Comments

• FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Btw.. I am not happy about the lots but the neighbourhood I could see in the stream looks very well done! I really love it and it gives me the Hollywood vibe. Those fences around really make you feel you are in the upcoming stars neighbourhood. I think they did that very well. Also the movie set's neighbourhood with the trucks is just.. WOW :open_mouth:
    I am usually not easily blown away by stuff and I am not super pleased with The sims 4 overall and what they did with it, but for the world and landscapes of the world: IT'S STUNNING and they are doing it very well in this series! Would be perfect if we could edit/place lots at least! I can't see the same corners of the street over and over again any more.. it's very disturbing and makes me want to close my game just because of that. It would already be a good solution to the continues disappointments of the number of lots we always have to hear. It's just never enough and it cuts in our creativity.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    The small number of available building lots is one of the main reasons why I didn't buy the Vampire pack. And now I am wondering if Get Famous is going to be worth the forty dollar price tag. Oh, we get new things to play with and a fame and reputation meter, and a bunch of new assets, but I'm feeling the need to take a stand and wait for the EP to go on sale. If the teams had found a way to give us at least as many building lots as Willow Creek I might be willing to pay full price for it. But eleven lots with many of those too small to build anything more than a one bedroom house on just isn't acceptable. The EP feels half empty without more suitable lots so I will wait until the EP is on sale to buy it. It meets only half of my expectations so it's value to me is twenty dollars, not forty. The patch is going to give me more of what I want in my game anyway, and it is free. The new city is quite pretty and gives the illusion of a busy and robust way of life but it limits us in how we can customize it to suit our individual desires. I don't like being boxed into what Maxis/Ea says we have to accept because of 'game engine limitations' or the thought we will be so hyped about the new acting career we will overlook the lack of lots. Oh goody, another gym? Really? And has anyone else noticed an eery silence about the bug fixes we have been asking/begging for since Seasons was released?

They did not find a way for us to create bands so that was extremely disappointing. Or at least I have not seen anything that contradicts that. And from what I have read in this forum it is one of the things many Simmers have wanted for a long time. The acting career is going to become repetitive very quickly in my opinion and I'm a bit leery of the quirks our celebrities will be given that we will have no control over. These quirks will be handed out randomly as our Sims gain fame points. So I have many questions about aspects of this EP that might not fit my style of gameplay and my need to micromanage. But even if I weren't concerned about the actual gameplay in this EP I cannot help but be upset over the sad lack of a few more larger lots for us to use. And only three lots for our rich celebrities?? Three lots just don't seem to be enough. What happens when we have four or even more celebrities in our games but no place for them to build their mansions? And three lots just doesn't seem like much of a 'neighborhood' to me. We'll have to move our celebrities into Willow Creek, Windenburg and Brindleton Bay in order to build the kind of homes their level of fame requires. And that seems like such a waste considering the teams created this amazing new world and our celebrities will be living in the worlds from other packs. Seems a bit counterproductive to me since so much effort, time and money went into creating Del Sol Valley.

In reference to your statement above which I bolded, the lots are NOT small. Quite the opposite! They are too big for where they are. THAT is what many are complaining about. Why does the cheap area have 2 40x30 and a 50x40?
  • LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    What if it's because of console platforms?
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    For “performance” or to save money? Hmm..
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    When you compare with TS3 (size wise)....

Starlight Shores (Showtime)
    30jhglk.jpg

Del Sol Valley
    2n07xau.png

And they wonder why we're disappointed ?
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    @Dianesims, thank you. You demonstrate the truth of the adage: a picture is worth a thousand words.

Many of us who have been with the Sims from the start are perplexed that a newer and better game engine means the game can no longer handle as many lots as it did in the past.

That's me being polite. I'm not perplexed. I'm convinced we're being milked for $$$$$.
    edited November 2018
    I don’t know much about programing or game engines, I couldn’t tell you the difference between both game engines, but there’s a big contrast here. I don’t need TS4 to be exactly like TS3, but I think it should be an improved version of it. And while I think some aspects are better, worlds aren’t, it feels like a downgrade and that’s what I don’t get.
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • MaziMazi Posts: 22 Member
    They can't do openworld for a simple reason.

1- The game need to run fine on low-end pc, or they may lose like more than half customers. The average PC is not high end.
    An openworld would require top tier PCs, this means less sales overall.

This is not a game for Hardcore audience or long time PC gamers, this is the definition of game for casuals, this include lot of girls, kids or people who are not used to play games on PC daily since years. All those categories may not have a 2000 Eur PC because they are not used hardcore gaming.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Mazi wrote: »

1- The game need to run fine on low-end pc, or they may lose like more than half customers. The average PC is not high end.

This is not a game for Hardcore audience or long time PC gamers, this is the definition of game for casuals, this include lot of girls, kids or people who are not used to play games on PC daily since years. All those categories may not have a 2000 Eur PC because they are not used hardcore gaming.

So considering what you're saying TS3 wasn't a casual game?
    Lu4ERme.gif

But TS3 wasn't made for high end gaming PCs either, since my MacBook could run it, and it's a good computer, but certainly not a gaming one :(
    Also even if the world aren't open, they could still be bigger.

• MaziMazi Posts: 22 Member
    > @Jordan061102 said:
    > Mazi wrote: »
    >
    > They can't do openworld for a simple reason.
    >
    > 1- The game need to run fine on low-end pc, or they may lose like more than half customers. The average PC is not high end.
    > An openworld would require top tier PCs, this means less sales overall.
    >
    > This is not a game for Hardcore audience or long time PC gamers, this is the definition of game for casuals, this include lot of girls, kids or people who are not used to play games on PC daily since years. All those categories may not have a 2000 Eur PC because they are not used hardcore gaming.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > So considering what you're saying TS3 wasn't a casual game?

TS3 ran like crap. They tried and it was painful to play as soon as the game engine got some content to handle.
    This is why you get loading screens now.

Please check that gender-bias at the door, thanks. :wink:
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Tiarella wrote: »

Please check that gender-bias at the door, thanks. :wink:

EXACTLY!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited November 2018
    I agree the game is not as powerful as it could be so it can reach a wide audience. EA know their target audience and they don’t want to alienate them. Not a criticism. I’m not sure why people thought this would be a big world, Brindleton Bay has what five free lots? (Assuming you don’t delete houses or buildings )

If performance is something they are considering and they clearly are concerned then it will be interesting to see how the game goes over the next few years.
    edited November 2018
    > @Jordan061102 said:
    > Mazi wrote: »
    >
    > They can't do openworld for a simple reason.
    >
    > 1- The game need to run fine on low-end pc, or they may lose like more than half customers. The average PC is not high end.
    > An openworld would require top tier PCs, this means less sales overall.
    >
    > This is not a game for Hardcore audience or long time PC gamers, this is the definition of game for casuals, this include lot of girls, kids or people who are not used to play games on PC daily since years. All those categories may not have a 2000 Eur PC because they are not used hardcore gaming.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > So considering what you're saying TS3 wasn't a casual game?

TS3 ran like plum. They tried and it was painful to play as soon as the game engine got some content to handle.
    This is why you get loading screens now.

I resent that I have been a gamer since Gaming existed on pcs and consoles - and I'm a 19 year veteran of the Sims. I run high spec gaming rigs built for me - so you have no idea how many gamers ADMIT they play the Sims. I know many gamers as we ran competition Lan parties for over 25 years - many closet simmers in the bunch and our Lan parties were known and attended by gamers from around the world. My oldest son was and IS a big name is Gaming, is well known with his many Guilds. TRY again!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    ...I have been a gamer since Gaming existed on pcs - and I'm a 19 year veteran of the Sims.

Ditto!

Reminds me of watching the ignorant kids on the old vanilla WoW LFG channel talking about how there was no such thing as a female player. Meanwhile, my guild leader, main tanks, best dps, and best healers were all women...

eta: sorry, not to derail the topic. But sexism in gaming needs to be called out. :smile:

edited November 2018
    We have many female competition gamers of all the big games in my family - who are well known in the gaming communities - and who incidentally also love playing their Sims just to kick back and relax. On top of it I probably have met as many well known male gamers as female that also like some aspect of the Sims games. Many of the males I have met are some of the most amazing builders I've ever seen in the Sims games - but being a competition gamers does not mean you just like to play the competition games. Everyone has some games they just like to kick back and relax with.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    The small number of available building lots is one of the main reasons why I didn't buy the Vampire pack. And now I am wondering if Get Famous is going to be worth the forty dollar price tag. Oh, we get new things to play with and a fame and reputation meter, and a bunch of new assets, but I'm feeling the need to take a stand and wait for the EP to go on sale. If the teams had found a way to give us at least as many building lots as Willow Creek I might be willing to pay full price for it. But eleven lots with many of those too small to build anything more than a one bedroom house on just isn't acceptable. The EP feels half empty without more suitable lots so I will wait until the EP is on sale to buy it. It meets only half of my expectations so it's value to me is twenty dollars, not forty. The patch is going to give me more of what I want in my game anyway, and it is free. The new city is quite pretty and gives the illusion of a busy and robust way of life but it limits us in how we can customize it to suit our individual desires. I don't like being boxed into what Maxis/Ea says we have to accept because of 'game engine limitations' or the thought we will be so hyped about the new acting career we will overlook the lack of lots. Oh goody, another gym? Really? And has anyone else noticed an eery silence about the bug fixes we have been asking/begging for since Seasons was released?

They did not find a way for us to create bands so that was extremely disappointing. Or at least I have not seen anything that contradicts that. And from what I have read in this forum it is one of the things many Simmers have wanted for a long time. The acting career is going to become repetitive very quickly in my opinion and I'm a bit leery of the quirks our celebrities will be given that we will have no control over. These quirks will be handed out randomly as our Sims gain fame points. So I have many questions about aspects of this EP that might not fit my style of gameplay and my need to micromanage. But even if I weren't concerned about the actual gameplay in this EP I cannot help but be upset over the sad lack of a few more larger lots for us to use. And only three lots for our rich celebrities?? Three lots just don't seem to be enough. What happens when we have four or even more celebrities in our games but no place for them to build their mansions? And three lots just doesn't seem like much of a 'neighborhood' to me. We'll have to move our celebrities into Willow Creek, Windenburg and Brindleton Bay in order to build the kind of homes their level of fame requires. And that seems like such a waste considering the teams created this amazing new world and our celebrities will be living in the worlds from other packs. Seems a bit counterproductive to me since so much effort, time and money went into creating Del Sol Valley.

In reference to your statement above which I bolded, the lots are NOT small. Quite the opposite! They are too big for where they are. THAT is what many are complaining about. Why does the cheap area have 2 40x30 and a 50x40?

I'm planning a large urban park on the 50x40, with a community center, play area/basketball, picnic grounds and maybe a stage for open-air performances. At least one 40x30 will house a boarding house for single Sims, maybe both will house boarding houses (one for men and one for women).

I've already planned for celebrities to live outside of DSV for the most part -- I've got Oasis Springs as my sort of DSV annex/Palm Springs inspired type world. Also a couple of penthouses in San Myshuno that will work for celebrities, and the apartments where the Fengs live. I likely won't have that many celebrities where I'll use up all the houses anyway. And I like the idea of not all of them living in DSV -- some celebrities might prefer San Myshuno or Willow Creek or Windenburg, just for example.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    edited November 2018
    fullspiral wrote: »

I'm planning a large urban park on the 50x40, with a community center, play area/basketball, picnic grounds and maybe a stage for open-air performances. At least one 40x30 will house a boarding house for single Sims, maybe both will house boarding houses (one for men and one for women).

I've already planned for celebrities to live outside of DSV for the most part -- I've got Oasis Springs as my sort of DSV annex/Palm Springs inspired type world. Also a couple of penthouses in San Myshuno that will work for celebrities, and the apartments where the Fengs live. I likely won't have that many celebrities where I'll use up all the houses anyway. And I like the idea of not all of them living in DSV -- some celebrities might prefer San Myshuno or Willow Creek or Windenburg, just for example.

What is the point if we do not have the ability to actually make the lots those kind of lots? This is a game not a pre-tend fest where that kind of play is not in existence in this world. One of your sims will be paying for everyones room and all of your sims will be considered living in a house - not roomies. The mechanics of rooming house does not even exist in the game. Why should we be made to pre-tend it - they could have actually done it proper? I just don't get this pre-tend in a game where it should exist or darn it make more empty lots.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Sims 4: Get Famous is going to be one of the best expansions ever made.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2018
    Dianesims wrote: »

30jhglk.jpg

Del Sol Valley
    2n07xau.png

HAAAA

Looking at Del Sol Valley's map in contrast with Starlight Shores feels like looking at Meg from Family Guy.

What a huge downgrade.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited November 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

30jhglk.jpg

Del Sol Valley
    2n07xau.png

HAAAA

Looking at Del Sol Valley's map in contrast with Starlight Shores feels like looking at Meg from Family Guy.

What a huge downgrade.

Oh my goodness. My Husband who’s a game developer saw those screen shots and he said the bottom picture looked like a Mega Drive game or some really bad 90s game.

edited November 2018

30jhglk.jpg

Del Sol Valley
    2n07xau.png

HAAAA

What a huge downgrade.

Oh my goodness. My Husband who’s a game developer saw those screen shots and he said the bottom picture looked like a Mega Drive game or some really bad 90s game.

30jhglk.jpg

Del Sol Valley
    2n07xau.png

HAAAA

What a huge downgrade.

Well to be honest the first one is an actual ingame map that is playable - the second is an artists rendition of how they picture the map - but that is not a true map to look at. You know that when in each game you tab out then zoom back in to play level - the first one you can just play in - the second one requires you go through the play button and go to a particular house to play. In game it does not really look like that map - what more some things are not even placed where they are represented to be place in the game even. So it makes a difference when you actually visit a playable map.

Sims 1 -2 - and 3 had actual playable maps. I cannot even define what Sims 4 has. It is akin to the floating mountains in the movie Avatar if you ask me - but a map it's not.

In dreams - I LIVE!

I agree

30jhglk.jpg

Del Sol Valley
    2n07xau.png

HAAAA

What a huge downgrade.

30jhglk.jpg

Del Sol Valley
    2n07xau.png

HAAAA

What a huge downgrade.

Well to be honest the first one is an actual ingame map that is playable - the second is an artists rendition of how they picture the map - but that is not a true map to look at. You know that when in each game you tab out then zoom back in to play level - the first one you can just play in - the second one requires you go through the play button and go to a particular house to play. In game it does not really look like that map - what more some things are not even placed where they are represented to be place in the game even. So it makes a difference when you actually visit a playable map.

Sims 1 -2 - and 3 had actual playable maps. I cannot even define what Sims 4 has. It is akin to the floating mountains in the movie Avatar if you ask me - but a map it's not.

I agree, but it still doesn’t look good. It looks very mobile like. Doesn’t fare well next to the sims 3 map. But all the sims 4 maps look like that. It’s a slight improvement now it’s got colour.
    I agree

30jhglk.jpg

Del Sol Valley
    2n07xau.png

HAAAA

What a huge downgrade.

30jhglk.jpg

Del Sol Valley
    2n07xau.png

HAAAA

What a huge downgrade.

I agree, but it still doesn’t look good. It looks very mobile like. Doesn’t fare well next to the sims 3 map. But all the sims 4 maps look like that. It’s a slight improvement now it’s got colour.

I look in game by tabbing above it - and it looks horrible in a tab out. That is not a map for sure - lol. I swear even mobile looked better and I want no part of that either. Totally agree with your spouse - it looks awful for sure.

In dreams - I LIVE!