Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Del Sol Valley was small on purpose

Comments

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The small number of available building lots is one of the main reasons why I didn't buy the Vampire pack. And now I am wondering if Get Famous is going to be worth the forty dollar price tag. Oh, we get new things to play with and a fame and reputation meter, and a bunch of new assets, but I'm feeling the need to take a stand and wait for the EP to go on sale. If the teams had found a way to give us at least as many building lots as Willow Creek I might be willing to pay full price for it. But eleven lots with many of those too small to build anything more than a one bedroom house on just isn't acceptable. The EP feels half empty without more suitable lots so I will wait until the EP is on sale to buy it. It meets only half of my expectations so it's value to me is twenty dollars, not forty. The patch is going to give me more of what I want in my game anyway, and it is free. The new city is quite pretty and gives the illusion of a busy and robust way of life but it limits us in how we can customize it to suit our individual desires. I don't like being boxed into what Maxis/Ea says we have to accept because of 'game engine limitations' or the thought we will be so hyped about the new acting career we will overlook the lack of lots. Oh goody, another gym? Really? And has anyone else noticed an eery silence about the bug fixes we have been asking/begging for since Seasons was released?

They did not find a way for us to create bands so that was extremely disappointing. Or at least I have not seen anything that contradicts that. And from what I have read in this forum it is one of the things many Simmers have wanted for a long time. The acting career is going to become repetitive very quickly in my opinion and I'm a bit leery of the quirks our celebrities will be given that we will have no control over. These quirks will be handed out randomly as our Sims gain fame points. So I have many questions about aspects of this EP that might not fit my style of gameplay and my need to micromanage. But even if I weren't concerned about the actual gameplay in this EP I cannot help but be upset over the sad lack of a few more larger lots for us to use. And only three lots for our rich celebrities?? Three lots just don't seem to be enough. What happens when we have four or even more celebrities in our games but no place for them to build their mansions? And three lots just doesn't seem like much of a 'neighborhood' to me. We'll have to move our celebrities into Willow Creek, Windenburg and Brindleton Bay in order to build the kind of homes their level of fame requires. And that seems like such a waste considering the teams created this amazing new world and our celebrities will be living in the worlds from other packs. Seems a bit counterproductive to me since so much effort, time and money went into creating Del Sol Valley.

• WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited October 2018
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    The small number of available building lots is one of the main reasons why I didn't buy the Vampire pack. And now I am wondering if Get Famous is going to be worth the forty dollar price tag. Oh, we get new things to play with and a fame and reputation meter, and a bunch of new assets, but I'm feeling the need to take a stand and wait for the EP to go on sale. If the teams had found a way to give us at least as many building lots as Willow Creek I might be willing to pay full price for it. But eleven lots with many of those too small to build anything more than a one bedroom house on just isn't acceptable. The EP feels half empty without more suitable lots so I will wait until the EP is on sale to buy it. It meets only half of my expectations so it's value to me is twenty dollars, not forty. The patch is going to give me more of what I want in my game anyway, and it is free. The new city is quite pretty and gives the illusion of a busy and robust way of life but it limits us in how we can customize it to suit our individual desires. I don't like being boxed into what Maxis/Ea says we have to accept because of 'game engine limitations' or the thought we will be so hyped about the new acting career we will overlook the lack of lots. Oh goody, another gym? Really? And has anyone else noticed an eery silence about the bug fixes we have been asking/begging for since Seasons was released?

They did not find a way for us to create bands so that was extremely disappointing. Or at least I have not seen anything that contradicts that. And from what I have read in this forum it is one of the things many Simmers have wanted for a long time. The acting career is going to become repetitive very quickly in my opinion and I'm a bit leery of the quirks our celebrities will be given that we will have no control over. These quirks will be handed out randomly as our Sims gain fame points. So I have many questions about aspects of this EP that might not fit my style of gameplay and my need to micromanage. But even if I weren't concerned about the actual gameplay in this EP I cannot help but be upset over the sad lack of a few more larger lots for us to use. And only three lots for our rich celebrities?? Three lots just don't seem to be enough. What happens when we have four or even more celebrities in our games but no place for them to build their mansions? And three lots just doesn't seem like much of a 'neighborhood' to me. We'll have to move our celebrities into Willow Creek, Windenburg and Brindleton Bay in order to build the kind of homes their level of fame requires. And that seems like such a waste considering the teams created this amazing new world and our celebrities will be living in the worlds from other packs. Seems a bit counterproductive to me since so much effort, time and money went into creating Del Sol Valley.

At least the vampire pack was $20 and the world ACTUALLY FELT UNIQUE.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »

True - but then we were well aware that when you got a gp - the lots were always 5 or 6. We get an ep - well you sort of expect an ep size world - not the same amount of usable house lots you get in a gp. I mean you consider we play on the usable lots. We create and run our sims lives on just those lots - then they cut them to the size of a gp, but still charge you for an ep? When they cut our play areas they are taking away our choices and half our playground where we create and our sims live life.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited October 2018
    Kali_Durga wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »

Unfortunately for a lot of us, the game simply wasn't designed for (and I hate this term) "hardcore" PC gamers. Due to the breadth of the game's audience, if they didn't appeal to the lowest common denominator, they'd be leaving money on the table. And as we all should know by now, EA would never do that.

so what? GTA 5 and Sims 3 are extremely heavy games but still they're the top sellers. this excuse is being used since 2014 and people should stop saying it already.

You're misunderstanding my point - it's not me taking this stance, it's EA. They wanted to hit the entire demographic and they made sacrifices to be playable on a wider range of systems. (Which is ironic because the result is still poorly optimized.)

If I had my way TS5 would be out already and it would be a lot more ambitious, both technically and from a gameplay perspective.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited October 2018
    Kali_Durga wrote: »

Unfortunately for a lot of us, the game simply wasn't designed for (and I hate this term) "hardcore" PC gamers. Due to the breadth of the game's audience, if they didn't appeal to the lowest common denominator, they'd be leaving money on the table. And as we all should know by now, EA would never do that.

so what? GTA 5 and Sims 3 are extremely heavy games but still they're the top sellers. this excuse is being used since 2014 and people should stop saying it already.

You're misunderstanding my point - it's not me taking this stance, it's EA. They wanted to hit the entire demographic and they made sacrifices to be playable on a wider range of systems. (Which is ironic because the result is still poorly optimized.)

If I had my way TS5 would be out already and it would be a lot more ambitious, both technically and from a gameplay perspective.

Totally agree with you, it's ironic. It's understandable that EA possibly wants to expand their market segmentation... for more $$$$, of course.. because the higher the revenue, there're more chances for them to have more budget on producing more packs in the future, plus to justify the team expansion (cross-platforms) that they are having or going to have.

But, what about the niche market that has been following them since day 1? Those who have the purchasing power & will buy anything that they are going to produce? I think, one of the reasons that causes this disappointment is, they're giving us an excuse due to the performance. Do they have a statistic that shows how many players that are playing with a low spec? If they do, are they saying that we should blame those players? It's unfair that EA put a blame on the players that are playing the low specs PC. (I might be the one, because I'm playing with a non-gaming laptop, but it can play TS4 quite well). If they're good enough, they should tag the price lower, so the lower end PC players can start saving to upgrade their PC. (I'm thankful that we always have sales :D )

They should come up with a reason that are justifiable enough to say that this is an EP, and it's worth for the players to pay the price. Yes, there's no standard check list that an EP pack should have a big world. Almost everyone has accepted that, when they give us the Seasons, which makes the majority of us expecting to have a bigger world in the next EP, which is the GF. However, the "damage" has been done. :s

The GF gives us an impression that it will come with a big world, since the concept is about going big (famous, big houses, parties, fans, etc..).. so, it does make sense that we're expecting that the world that coming with this concept is bigger too... and the irony is, they tag this game as an EP.. which make the expectation higher.. I personally hate it when people ask me to keep my expectation lower... Why should I keep my expectation lower? It's degrading my personal value and my perception of EA as a whole.
    Post edited by x4m1r4 on
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I don't necessarily expect that EPs will have a certain sized world; GTW and Seasons are prime examples. However, I was expecting GF to have a bigger world, mainly because someone asked about the world size on Twitter, and a Simguru replied that it was a "big, typical" world. That was misleading, in my view. If they had said, "It's a smaller world this time, but very well done" then at least that might have set the expectations more in line.

The gurus do have to be careful about the expectations they set. I guess that's why they often can't say anything at all.
  • marissa77marissa77 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @ChelleJo said:
    > Jordan061102 wrote: »
    >
    > Felicity wrote: »
    >
    > You know, Sims 3's worlds generally had 60 - 120 lots. I get the feeling that the entirety of Sims 4 will have fewer lots than just one store world of Sims 3. Why is this an issue with a closed world? Or is it a size thing? I know console users are limited in size, and it's really difficult to delete/disable a pack once you buy it.
    >
    > Whatever -- this is kind of ridiculous that the game can't even handle a ton of lots with a closed system.
    >
    > I suppose that kills the last hope of CAW.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The question is how will they continue to develop the game for 3 years if they can't even handle world with more than 11 lots. lol it's so ridiculous. ^^
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This is exactly my thoughts. If they have 3 years planned out already, I am worried to see what those 3 years will be, if they are already limiting the crud out of our worlds. 11 lots is pretty pathetic.
    >
    > There are so many valid points here, that I pray a Guru reads this thread and realizes their excuse it not okay.

What annoys me the most is I keep up with almost every guru on twitter.. Sim guru Grant had said he couldn't comment on the size of the new world (this was before simscamp) but the new world was similar in size to are current worlds... Del So Valley is similar in size to worlds like Forgotten Hallow, which only gets a pass due to the fact that it's a game pack world, Del So Valley should at least have as many lots as the base game worlds did. This seems to be a common theme as of late..
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited October 2018
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I don't necessarily expect that EPs will have a certain sized world; GTW and Seasons are prime examples. However, I was expecting GF to have a bigger world, mainly because someone asked about the world size on Twitter, and a Simguru replied that it was a "big, typical" world. That was misleading, in my view. If they had said, "It's a smaller world this time, but very well done" then at least that might have set the expectations more in line.

The gurus do have to be careful about the expectations they set. I guess that's why they often can't say anything at all.

Agree...

I'm not going to justify why GTW and Seasons have small world or no world at all, but, GTW introduces new game play (an active career, retail, new life state). Seasons introduce a weather system & calendar. But GF is a mixed of all the other game play & a pretty small world. I haven't played it yet.. so, this is what I get from the overview...

So, the live stream on this coming Friday is suppose to give us more insight about the hype of this acting career...
    OID:- x4m1r4

My point exactly. That is why I will wait to purchase the Get Famous EP. Because of the smaller world in this expansion, even if it has the added assets and gameplay features, it feels like a game pack to me. This is my personal opinion and is not intended to insult anyone's enjoyment/excitement. I am tired of getting less for my money so I will wait to purchase this EP when it is on sale. And I am unwilling to invest forty dollars in an expansion pack that falls short of what I want. After the pre-EP update, the mods I am using now will have to be updated. Then once the Get Famous EP is available there will be broken mods again. Unless the bugs from Seasons are fixed in the update in November, I am not going to invest in a full price EP just to wait on having my broken bug fixes updated by the modders so I can enjoy my game. So if Get Famous had a larger world maybe I would be more interested in paying the full price. But after waiting this long for bug fixes for everything that was broken with Seasons why would I want to jeopardize the stability of my game now that it is finally running smoothly with the help of mods just to purchase an EP that falls short of being worthy of my forty dollars? As it stands right now, I am more than happy to put off buying Get Famous until it is on sale and the modding community has time to fix whatever bugs, glitches or annoyances it adds to our games. The free update comes with a new career and terrain tools and the ability for our Sims to be self-employed. For the time being that's enough for me to be happy.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I'm fine the world, just wish it had more lots. I'm not angry, just disappointed for all that it could have been. They surely know a bigger world would make people spend more on the game, so to me it's more like their problem now? I'm sure spending wisely, as always.

This thread has a lot of assumptions about the game... but it isn't even out yet. I'll wait the release until saying it's worth only a game pack.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

True - but then we were well aware that when you got a gp - the lots were always 5 or 6. We get an ep - well you sort of expect an ep size world - not the same amount of usable house lots you get in a gp. I mean you consider we play on the usable lots. We create and run our sims lives on just those lots - then they cut them to the size of a gp, but still charge you for an ep? When they cut our play areas they are taking away our choices and half our playground where we create and our sims live life.

I agree with you 100%, Writin_Reg. I'm glad I am not the only one who feels we are getting less than a full-fledged expansion when the world in that expansion is the same size as what we get in a game pack.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited October 2018
    I saved up for 2 years to buy a computer that can handle this game well, and now they are making less buildable lots. Can’t they at least give us some more buildable worlds?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »

It could be that the world is actually big (in terms of the public areas you can't design).
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Felicity wrote: »

Also, shouldn't it be Valley Del Sol? Del Sol Valley is really awkward.

FINALLY someone said it. I think anyone who has heard spanish at least once in their life would agree that "Of the sun Valley" doesn't make any sense and just sounds completely ridiculous. If you want to pretend your city has a spanish/latino history at least make it right. :confused:

The small number of available building lots is one of the main reasons why I didn't buy the Vampire pack.

I agree. Honestly FH is basically unplayable for me, even though I absolutely love it. There just isn't any room for community lots, and having the atmosphere of the game changing completely every time you have to go somewhere that isn't your home lot is just so immersion breaking.
    I expect the same thing may happen with the new world. Since it looks completely different from the other worlds we already have, you will probably see an important change in scenery and atmosphere every time you go on a lot that is in a different world. I don't think I will be able to pretend OS is part of the same world as Of the sun Valley, as some people have suggested.

So not having enough room in the world you play in for all the lots you would need to experience the different activities the game has to offer really is annoying. Not to mention there won't even be enough residential lots to create proper neighborhood communities.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    The sims 4 just keeps proving itself to be what it is. It is and always will be feeling like an app game rather then a sandbox 2014-2018 PC game. They wanted to attract new players by making the game simple, but what they did is turning it into a child-easy game and ignore the spirit of the series. I have only managed to check into the embargo lift info since last night and I'm always worried to be let down whenever any sims pack or new info comes out. That is NOT normal!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    deleted
  • Okto84Okto84 Posts: 197 Member
    I was also hoping for more buildable lots for me to create stuff on. However, in context of how big is the world, I am keeping in mind a world is more than buildable lots. There's also the surrounding environment and also there's the studio lots and such, which although not editable are part of the world.

So, the claim it's a big world may be accurate in the sense of how much area, but for many of us world size is assumed to be how many lots we get to build on.

I like the idea of having pre-built areas like studio lots - but let us edit them if we want to. I would like to see less of the non-editable lots. Much like shops and restaurants, a studio lot for example could have a list of required objects to make it functional. Players who want a world pre-build out the box will have one, but players who love building can do that too. Also, we could put these lots where we want. Why not have a studio in any world?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    The Games motto is YOU Rule. But the fact remains we truly only rule on the lots our sims can live on and venues sims can visit. We cannot rule or change anything outside of those lots - period. (Well you try but often the results creates problem eventually - like lag.)

The decorative view no matter how pretty does nothing for your sims, and is not even interactive with your Sims. They don't see it, can't even go anywhere the fake exists - and has no gameplay at all - no worth at all but visual for the player. You might as well be watching the game on tv with no controllers - and it is no wonder some peoples Sims just stand there doing nothing half the time even when they queue them up to do things when they are surrounded by views that block their access to all those areas of FX. It turns a playable game into a virtual barren and useless area of the game when FX takes over most of your screen where you sims have to tread lightly with just a few lots to play and rule on.

They should be making a game not a tv show that has no point what so ever. How do we rule there? No we are under the gun - the fx gun of just seeing more useless visuals with zero play factor in regard to our characters and then to make matters worse they cut out the only places we actually do rule in this game - the lots - the creative parts of this game where we can create what we want for our sims to actually use.

They need to wipe out the YOU RULE motto and rename it to "Welcome to Useless FX world" - just stand and watch. (Cause it's so pretty you didn't want to play your game anyway, did you?)

ETA -In JA - well one expected this just to have a few lots and it was welcomed by many of us - but when you pay twice the price for an expansion pack - and you receive a GP size world - there is something very wrong about that picture.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited October 2018
    It's a poor excuse, there are so many games that have open world that play beautifully but the problem is that EA doesn't take the time to get all the kinks out the game before releasing. If they have to make neighborhoods so small just to make it functioning then something is wrong. sims 2 worlds are bigger than sims 4 and it just sad.
    giphy.gif

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    It's a poor excuse, there are so many games that have open world that play beautifully but the problem is that EA doesn't take the time to get all the kinks out the game before releasing. If they have to make neighborhoods so small just to make it functioning then something is wrong. sims 2 worlds are bigger than sims 4 and it just sad.

Yeah EA didn't understand they can make more money (hmm sounds interesting, money money EA) with complete and well executed games. The proof, Rockstar for example takes time to develop their game and make them complete and they earn a lot of money.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • slydog857slydog857 Posts: 68 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »
    In view of the input from the folks who know computers and 64 bit, which strongly points to there should be no performance issues, am wondering what the 'low end' EA is reportedly targeting is? 486-66? Maybe a P-3? The by now old TS2 could handle a heavier load. What gives with this version?

Maybe older laptops that don't have good graphics card and processor.

Why should my game play be sacrificed because some onne else computer is not up to par. You have an underpowered pc on any other game and complain to the company and they tell you to upgrade your pc or don't play. Even EA does that - so I don't care to hear that. My game play depends on my pc not someone elses and vice versa. We should not suffer the fate of little towns because of anyones pc but our own.

Yes, but the game has performance problems. Your computer may be 'better' and should, therefore, run this game faster but if they make a larger world, the 2 Core CPU limit still has an effect, and you may get lower performance too, yes your computer is up to par, but when they made the game they were making it for Dual-Core Pentium and GT GPU users for some odd reason, not taking into consideration modern computers, and for a 2014 game that sucks. So, I'm happy they are performance conscious, yes they made the problem but at least I'm not going to have to put up with more FPS drops than I'm already getting in the city and some other select places with my i7/GTX 1080/16GB RAM. It's ridiculous I'm even having to consider stability in a game like this, it should naturally preform excellent on my setup but it doesn't. But I totally agree the statement "Maybe older laptops that don't have good graphics card and processor" is invalid, because it's 2018, why are we still catering for early 2010's Laptop users and people with Pentiums? However, on the flip side, seen they can't change the CPU thing (apparently) I don't want my game bogged down anymore, regardless if that means cutting back on size, play-ability means more to me and I'd like to get as close to 60FPS as possible.
    Specs:
    i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition: GTX 1080 8GB
    16GB RAM
    2 x 1TB HDD - Toshiba @ 7200 Rpm

maxresdefault.jpg
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited October 2018
    Regarding the town's name, Valley Del Sol vs. Del Sol Valley --consider the acronym we'd use. Will it pass their filters?...lemme try: VDS vs. DSV.

eta: it worked! So much for that explanation. :lol: I thought I'd figured it out. Guess not! :lol:
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    am wondering what the 'low end' EA is reportedly targeting is? 486-66? Maybe a P-3?

how-to-donate-computer-1-500x500.jpg

This had me laughing :D I played The sims 1 on this PC.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Watching the Stream I realise why the lots are big. You can put movie sets on them.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

I just wanted to say the quirks aren't random. They are generated according to what you sim does. So if your sim checks his phone a billion times in a short period of time it is possible he will develop that quirk.