Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Happy birthday @Pinkslinky!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @madamelee Would you put your pictures under a spoiler? There's a LOT of them and it's making it hard for my browser, lol. Sorry to ask but I know what will happen if we start to reply to it and I'm already having trouble. :)
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    rednenemon wrote: »
    I'm beginning to feel the early stages of illness, so I probably won't be in here much today, but...

Happy Birthday to @Pinkslinky! I hope your birthday is great! B)

Hope you get well soon! Maybe you can rest, echinacea, Airborne, and goof-off your way out of getting sick! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Meggles wrote: »
    @madamelee Would you put your pictures under a spoiler? There's a LOT of them and it's making it hard for my browser, lol. Sorry to ask but I know what will happen if we start to reply to it and I'm already having trouble. :)

I agree, I'm on mobile right now and it's really messing up the page :-/ They are really awesome pictures, MadameLee (I love Hun's awesome coloring!) Just a lot for the thread to handle :)

snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Meggles wrote: »

I agree, I'm on mobile right now and it's really messing up the page :-/ They are really awesome pictures, MadameLee (I love Hun's awesome coloring!) Just a lot for the thread to handle :)

I agree with citizen and Meggles @MadameLee it takes quite Long to load on mobile :( but the pictures are really cute I like your Sims :)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I put them under a spoiler now!!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    I have questions. My apologies for bombarding you with them all.

Do any of you power write chapters like within an hour or two and just post? If so, do you already have screenshots ready to go? Do you look at the screenshots and just make up the chapter? How do you make it flow together despite the fact that the pictures may not go together? Do you select pictures ahead of time? Do you go in order of how the game play is? Step-by-step? Or do you pick a theme you've been seeing your sims do?

I know @Jes2G has done it before as is @SummerFalls is doing right now. I don't consider myself a good enough writer to just power write. I make too many mistakes and I have issues with it flowing. It's like I've been writing for two years (writing for years, but not focusing on writing more than casually for friends/family/work) and all I've made progress on is how to edit grammatically.

However, I've been thinking seriously about just pushing out a few chapters without editing more than once. I tend to edit my chapters around 15x before I feel they are perfect for the readers. I'd say the editing ranges from finding misspellings (that spellcheck doesn't pick up) to how to make it flow better though I'm horrible at figuring out whether it does or not. I'm scared to do edit only once for a few reasons:

--I'll look plum because I'm sure everyone will find lots of mistakes that I didn't find

--the flow will be horrible - I type like I think - scatterbrained am I - memory issues/tangents

--I sit down to write and draw a blank because it's the first time I've sat down all day to think about something for me (everyone else is first) - by this time, I'm exhausted and kind of just give up - can't focus/concentrate - sometimes I'm so exhausted, I just go to bed

My sister said maybe I need to do some kind of simple exercise before I start doing the above. She sits down often and just does a ten-minute writing exercise to help the creative juices flow. I tend to get wiped out just thinking about sitting down to write because I don't know what to do. I don't have a goal in the chapter except to follow what happened in the game and in the pictures. The exercise could help, but I feel like if it isn't about my story, it won't really help me much. I suppose I could take a screenshot of one photo in particular and just write about it for ten minutes.

Another question: Has anyone else gone from writing a story and going in order of what happens in the game to teaching themselves to not go step-by-step? I literally am too literal. I struggle with this more than even I realize at times. So any literal people who like to write, I'd love to know what you do to not always be literally doing everything in order.

I think the more I struggle with writing the more I wonder if I should just give it up. I have no time. I'm being incredibly selfish by wanting time to write when dishes, laundry, housework, etc, always need to be done. They tend to pile up. If I lived alone, it'd be different. I could easily keep caught up, but with kids and a husband, I really struggle.

Sorry, everyone. I'm just having a really rough weekend. Friday night I had to go to the in-laws for dinner. Came home at 10 and went to bed. Saturday consisted of basketball, wedding dress shopping (sister getting married), and evening at my family's house. Came home and went to bed. Sunday has been church, cleaning, laundry, etc. I'm about to go start dinner. I'm thinking after dinner is over, I might try to go to bed. I'm already exhausted. lol It just never ends. How do moms who write for a living deal with all of the work that comes with a family?

It doesn't help that my job has suddenly become full-time (despite me wanting only four days a week, but I'm not caught up, so I have to work every day until I am caught up) and it sucks the life out of me. Most of us on here are introverted to some extent. I am, too. I also have a little extrovert in me. I have to do my job. However, when I'm ready to be alone and need the quiet, I have to continue to do my job despite that I am at that point beginning to be unhappy and short with people. I have to also leave at a certain time every day which almost always does not happen. I have children to get off the bus (8/6) and no one seems to care that I need to leave. Some days are fine while others I come home to the children already inside the house for 20 minutes.

I have stretched myself a little too much at work, I think. I've told my bosses that I'm not always wanting to talk to people all the time. I'd like to sit in a nice quiet cubicle and do my job. No. That isn't going to happen with the kind of job I have. So, I think I need to find a new one. Of course, who wouldn't that scare? I've been at my current job for seven years (almost eight) and I'd have to start over somewhere else. I've only been part-time that whole time. I can't do full-time because I have no one to get my kids. Our school system messed up the bus routes and my babysitter can't just get them off the bus anymore.

I just have a lot on my plate. When I'm at work, I'm thinking "I could be writing right now" and get kind of annoyed. Yeah, my own fault for letting my mind wonder. <-- see tangent - my brain :s

Sorry for my little rant. It's over. I have to get back to chores again. Hopefully, some of you can help with the writing questions. I'd appreciate it. :smiley: I <3 you all and know I'm not the only one struggling. I just hope we can all get through it together. <3
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    what are some words for 'aunt' or uncle in other languages?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    SilverDaybreakSilverDaybreak Posts: 2,080 Member
    Happy Sunday to you all,

Here are a couple more photo albums on my new Silver's Playtime with Friends,

@Jes2G : https://silversplaytimewithfriends.wordpress.com/2016/01/31/jess-toogie/

@mastressalita : https://silversplaytimewithfriends.wordpress.com/category/mastress/

I will be back yours later, @CathyTea and @eXokamikaze.

• Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    edited January 2016
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    @MadameLee In German it's "Tante" for Aunt and "Onkel" for uncle ^^
    ^ same in French for aunt, I think, but its spelling for uncle is oncle

Tio and tia in Spanish. @MadameLee
  • Options

With accents over the I's! :) Tío and Tía :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I know its a weird question to ask but I'm going to use the foreign languages to difference between blood related aunt (Anne's sister and Banaka's sister and their husbands-all using the English word of "Aunt" and "uncle" ) and their parents' club friends.

here's an examples (from Anne's book club):

Maika=Tante Maaike
    Hugo=Onkle Hugo
    Yuki-Tannie Yuki
    Gunther=Omm Gunther
    Rosana=Aunt Rosana

Only two other adults in Bakana's garden club:
    Moria= Tia Moria
    Bjorn=Tio Bjorn
    child Lucas primo (no relacionada) Lucas (but Primo for short)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member

With accents over the I's! :) Tío and Tía :blush:

Yes, my phone doesn't do that or maybe it does but I don't know how lol
  • Options
    @lovesstorms I would love to help, but I don't ever publish right after I finish writing. I always schedule them ahead of time, and do a lot of editing like you do!
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    MarialeinMarialein Posts: 2,885 Member
    edited January 2016
    @lovesstorms I always post after writing. As soon as I finshed a chapter I would post them immediately but I have to upload the pics first.
    I always think a long time of what should happen in game before. Then I play and take screenshots. Sometimes other things happen than I thought but I deal with it.
    With enough screenshots I start writing. I think of what happened and what I have planned to happen and for what I have already the screenshots. Sometimes I find some mistakes in my chapters but as long as there aren't too bad ones I can ignore them or correct quick.
    Maybe I could help :)
    By the way I am always quite ahead with my game. In my amazon story I played the last time really at the beginnimg of October but I am still writing about the pics I took. Only 5 to six chapters left and I may can play there again. This is one reason why I have already four stories.
  • Options
    Hey guys :) I normally don't post my updates in the Lounge but I'm so excited to present the first chapter of Season 2 for Tribe Arayeo! :) After a long hiatus they are finally back. Yay! thanks for your patience.

Chapter 39
    ---
    A Spirit That Never Sleeps

YbW9LDz.png?1
  • Options
    SimmerSteffieSimmerSteffie Posts: 723 Member
    I'm so excited! I actually did some writing this weekend for my legacy, and I think I'm going to have a post up tonight! :)
    I feel like it's been a while.

How is everyone doing today? Having good weekends? :)
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    I'm so excited! I actually did some writing this weekend for my legacy, and I think I'm going to have a post up tonight! :)

Yay for productive weekends! It feels great doesn't it? :)

I managed to write a couple updates too, so I'm set for the next two weeks. I always need to be ahead since I barely have any time/energy during the week...
  • Options
    SimmerSteffieSimmerSteffie Posts: 723 Member
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

Yay for productive weekends! It feels great doesn't it? :)

I managed to write a couple updates too, so I'm set for the next two weeks. I always need to be ahead since I barely have any time/energy during the week...

It really does. I finally figured out a way to write my legacy that doesn't feel quite as repetitive. And something juicy happened. :)

I just caught up on your legacy. I like the Windenburg twist! I feel bad for Astrid though. :(
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I know its a weird question to ask but I'm going to use the foreign languages to difference between blood related aunt (Anne's sister and Banaka's sister and their husbands-all using the English word of "Aunt" and "uncle" ) and their parents' club friends.

Maika=Tante Maaike
    Hugo=Onkle Hugo
    Yuki-Tannie Yuki
    Gunther=Omm Gunther
    Rosana=Aunt Rosana

Moria= Tia Moria
    Bjorn=Tio Bjorn

That's a great idea, Magna! (Get it? "Great" idea, "Magna"? Ok, cheesy. I know.) I do that in one of my stories, having M. Villareal speak a little French.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Hey, everybody! I just read the coolest story by @Charliimai ! It's a "choose-your-own-ending" story. It took me a lot of tries, but I finally got the right ending, and it was worth it!

I can only imagine the amount of work, care, and planning that went into this! I really recommend reading it--it's fun to read, and it's super inspiring for writers!

(Writing something like this would be a really cool group project, too!)

• Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

Maika=Tante Maaike
    Hugo=Onkle Hugo
    Yuki-Tannie Yuki
    Gunther=Omm Gunther
    Rosana=Aunt Rosana

Moria= Tia Moria
    Bjorn=Tio Bjorn

That's a great idea, Magna! (Get it? "Great" idea, "Magna"? Ok, cheesy. I know.) I do that in one of my stories, having M. Villareal speak a little French.

I got the pun. BTW the Employment program? I'm going to do the first Job sampling on Thursday-front desk/maintenance)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

I got the pun. BTW the Employment program? I'm going to do the first Job sampling on Thursday-front desk/maintenance)

Oh, congrats! That's awesome! Let us know what you think!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top