Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TV channels scrambling...

Comments

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Thanks @ceejay402 I've downloaded a couple CC tvs, hopefully they don't scramble.

good luck! and if they do scramble let me know that could mean how they were made matters.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Thanks @ceejay402 I've downloaded a couple CC tvs, hopefully they don't scramble.

good luck! and if they do scramble let me know that could mean how they were made matters.

All three that I downloaded do not scramble. YAY! Thanks, CeeJay! :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »

All three that I downloaded do not scramble. YAY! Thanks, CeeJay! :)

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • Options
    Pandia101Pandia101 Posts: 175 Member
    MocaJava wrote: »
    I'm confused. If you're fast forwarding, this sort of thing makes sense to me...I mean if you're fast forwarding I'm guessing you didn't care that much about actually watching the tv show/movie anyway.

I like to watch the TV while say my sim is eating her meal... I want her to quickly finish her meal but also, for my entertainment to watch the show.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I mean, I can see how it can be annoying, but for the TV, there's only like two shows per channel right? So what effect would you want for when you're fast-forwarding on the same speed? Just speeding it up, right? It was really jarring when I first saw it, though.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    Simsfan9911Simsfan9911 Posts: 155 Member
    It looks ok on the big new tv's. Its kinda growing on me . I dont hate it anymore.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    SimGuruGraham shared this on twitter today. LOL Proof they can't win, poor guys! hahaha
    CYjVfOiUAAAkpMJ.jpg
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    SimGuruGraham shared this on twitter today. LOL Proof they can't win, poor guys! hahaha
    CYjVfOiUAAAkpMJ.jpg

Haha. That's pretty much how it always works, isn't it?
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    CYjVfOiUAAAkpMJ.jpg

His reaction with the shrug is perfect too. Poor guys lol
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2016
    It looks ok on the big new tv's. Its kinda growing on me . I dont hate it anymore.

It's still annoying me. To me, the speed has always worked like this: Speed 1=slow motion, Speed 2=normal speed, speed 3=fast forward. I only use speed 1 when I need to slow the game down to give myself more time for a certain process or to observe a new action. I find it unrealistically slow in relation to their days. I use speed 3 for things I just want to rush through. Speed 2 has always felt like the 'normal' speed to me.

As for speeding the game up: I don't feel I'm on fast-forward when on speed 2 (as explained above). Not to mention, I am not fast-forwarding the movie/show they're watching. I'm fast-forwarding my game. Should the whole game look like this when I speed it up then? After all, I'm fast-forwarding it. :\
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    tammer400tammer400 Posts: 647 Member
    I kinda got used to it but i would def would like to have it back to the way it was before where the tv was normal
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Yes! Thought it was just me!
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    MagicAndPancakesMagicAndPancakes Posts: 149 Member
    I can't stand this "feature." I thought I had installed a wonky mod or something. Guess I'll be using CC tvs for now.

frustrated+sigh.gif
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I read that SimGuruDaniel said it was intentional to keep sims from trying to watch a movie and react to it when you are fast forwarding the game as the animations might turn to plum. Don't like this function myself and wish they could limit it to only movies that came with the movie stuff pack if necessary, and not all channels. I get nauseous with the way it looks now :neutral:
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    Simsfan9911Simsfan9911 Posts: 155 Member
    I really dont like this at all. It looks so bad. Im sorry to sound negative but i liked it as it was. Its just not my cup of tea...
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Sim2Spore wrote: »
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Yes it is, and since I fast forward. There's no point in my Sims watching movies now. Is there? At this rate, they might as well speed up every other sound too. Why not? It's realistic, after all.

But isn't the point of doing something like this to encourage players to slow down and actually appreciate the things their sims are doing, instead of fast forwarding through every little bit?

If you're so fixated on fast forwarding through normal gameplay then why does it matter that much to you if the things on their screens are fast forwarded as well?

For me, I would play at normal pace if it didn't take so long for the sims to do something. Two hours to wake up and walk downstairs to eat breakfast? An hour of standing around before deciding to do something? I don't have time to wait around hope my sims do something before I get bored.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    CYjVfOiUAAAkpMJ.jpg

Would be a little more convincing if the person who wrote they love it, wasn't one of the staff for a sim's fansite that never acknowledges the games shortcomings or problems.

I still hate it. It worked just fine before, and imo it's a waste of resources to do this. It doesn't add realism, or fun, it adds some unrealistic cartoony tv scrambling that reminds me of a 90's children's show. I can think of plenty of small scale changes the team could work on instead of wasting their development time on things that don't even improve the game.
  • Options
    sweetiebabe27sweetiebabe27 Posts: 12 New Member
    I get that they want this game to run smoothly. They want the majority of players to be able to play the game without it being buggy no matter what computer they have. Something they've NEVER done in past Sims games. Sure you could make the settings low and all that. Think of when the Sims 1 was released in 2000. Computers were very slow back then and when you add in a half dozen expansions then the game barely played. I remember just sitting there while the computer processed whatever was going on, especially once the vacation EP came out. Same with Sims 2 and especially Sims 3, you'd load the game (which could take upwards of 10 minutes) and then still have to sit there for the lot to render. Sims 4 is so simplified, too simplified if you ask me. It runs really smoothly but I would trade that for extra features. A powerful gaming computer is cheap nowadays. So I say its worth it for them to add the extras. I don't want my TV in the Sims 4, which I assume the setting for my Sims, considering they have smart phones and tablets is that its set in 2015-16, and now a days when you "fast forward" something it doesn't look like you're speeding through a VHS. I'm sure that this new feature saves a little CPU power, but the frustration it causes so many of us isn't worth it.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I get that they want this game to run smoothly. They want the majority of players to be able to play the game without it being buggy no matter what computer they have. Something they've NEVER done in past Sims games. Sure you could make the settings low and all that. Think of when the Sims 1 was released in 2000. Computers were very slow back then and when you add in a half dozen expansions then the game barely played. I remember just sitting there while the computer processed whatever was going on, especially once the vacation EP came out. Same with Sims 2 and especially Sims 3, you'd load the game (which could take upwards of 10 minutes) and then still have to sit there for the lot to render. Sims 4 is so simplified, too simplified if you ask me. It runs really smoothly but I would trade that for extra features. A powerful gaming computer is cheap nowadays. So I say its worth it for them to add the extras. I don't want my TV in the Sims 4, which I assume the setting for my Sims, considering they have smart phones and tablets is that its set in 2015-16, and now a days when you "fast forward" something it doesn't look like you're speeding through a VHS. I'm sure that this new feature saves a little CPU power, but the frustration it causes so many of us isn't worth it.

I honestly don't see how this saves CPU power, or any power at all for that matter. I just think they thought it was 'cool.' Therefore, it happened.

To be honest, all it does is remind me of every other little thing that annoys me in this game. Every time I see it, I get so peeved that I start thinking of all the other niggling little issues that swim around in the back of my mind. It's not so much this 'feature' alone that is bothering me. I think it's just one of those features that is really starting to climax every other little 'feature' like sims inviting my sims to lots they're already at, or calling my sim while they're standing right there and talking to them already. To top it off, the game feels those irrelevent calls are so important it has to slow my game down and ruin my immersion every time. Not to mention the new inappropriate behaviour for visiting sims has my newlyweds finding their new spouse cooking in the kitchen inappropriate. There are also the broken family trees and culling, and relationship culling, and so on.

The thing is, all those other little 'features' that annoy me don't bother me as much because they don't happen all the time, but when my sims turn on the TV, I see it every time, and it just reminds me of all the others. I think that's what bothers me most about it. It's just a reminder--an obnoxious looking reminder—of all the other 'cool features' I could happily live without.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

I honestly don't see how this saves CPU power, or any power at all for that matter. I just think they thought it was 'cool.' Therefore, it happened.

To be honest, all it does is remind me of every other little thing that annoys me in this game. Every time I see it, I get so peeved that I start thinking of all the other niggling little issues that swim around in the back of my mind. It's not so much this 'feature' alone that is bothering me. I think it's just one of those features that is really starting to climax every other little 'feature' like sims inviting my sims to lots they're already at, or calling my sim while they're standing right there and talking to them already. To top it off, the game feels those irrelevent calls are so important it has to slow my game down and ruin my immersion every time. Not to mention the new inappropriate behaviour for visiting sims has my newlyweds finding their new spouse cooking in the kitchen inappropriate. There are also the broken family trees and culling, and relationship culling, and so on.

The thing is, all those other little 'features' that annoy me don't bother me as much because they don't happen all the time, but when my sims turn on the TV, I see it every time, and it just reminds me of all the others. I think that's what bothers me most about it. It's just a reminder--an obnoxious looking reminder—of all the other 'cool features' I could happily live without.

Same!

I saw the tv thing, thought it was some kind of bug and brushed it off. Then I saw a producer say it was a feature that was intentionally put in place (literally for no reason) and I shut down the game and haven't played since.

I imagine this is another product of their excess amount of fx people. So while the development team is concerned about adding ugly static to televisions, there are still several assets in CAS and build/buy that have little to no color variants. Could these people not spend time improving those things? Or is adding useful stuff out of the question?
  • Options
    mommataurus2mommataurus2 Posts: 1,845 Member
    I have this too. But I have been wondering....if your handy sim upgrades the tv if it improves?? I think I remember seeing a better reception upgrade?
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Check out my showcase.Come Check Out My New Sims Blog! https://greetingsfromwindenburg.wordpress.com/

Big shout out to @Cbear13 the amazingly talented and ever wonderful creator of my siggie!

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Same!

I saw the tv thing, thought it was some kind of bug and brushed it off. Then I saw a producer say it was a feature that was intentionally put in place (literally for no reason) and I shut down the game and haven't played since.

I imagine this is another product of their excess amount of fx people. So while the development team is concerned about adding ugly static to televisions, there are still several assets in CAS and build/buy that have little to no color variants. Could these people not spend time improving those things? Or is adding useful stuff out of the question?

Exactly. There are so many other things they could have really improved. Instead, they decided to do the opposite. Looking at aweful reception is the opposite of improvement to me. It's really close to the tip of the iceberg for me. I've been trying to work around it by using CC TVs, but I really don't want to use CC and I don't really care for any of the TVs I've found so far. I really don't mind the TVs included in the game, but you're right about the colour options, not to mention the desperate need for more carpets.
    I have this too. But I have been wondering....if your handy sim upgrades the tv if it improves?? I think I remember seeing a better reception upgrade?

I'm going to try this next time I get a chance to play and will update with my findings (unless someone beats me to it). :)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2016

No, because what you're seeing is not "poor reception," it's "fast-forwarding" when you fast-forward the game. Same as stereos do - except for stereos they eventually added a cheat to stop it. The suggestion to do so for TV channels and, if it can work, movies is a good one. Personally, I don't mind the reminder to slow down, and if I'm fast-forwarding I'm not watching the detail. But I can see how others who never play on Speed 1 would be frustrated - I was one of those people for all of Sims 3!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    No, because what you're seeing is not "poor reception," it's "fast-forwarding" when you fast-forward the game. Same as stereos do - except for stereos they eventually added a cheat to stop it. The suggestion to do so for TV channels and, if it can work, movies is a good one. Personally, I don't mind the reminder to slow down, and if I'm fast-forwarding I'm not watching the detail. But I can see how others who never play on Speed 1 would be frustrated - I was one of those people for all of Sims 3!

It's not really a good suggestion at all. That would mean I'd have to enter it every time I play. That's not an acceptable solution for me. I haven't had to do that for the last year + that I've been playing. Why should I suddenly have to do that now just to enjoy my game when it was fine before that?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2016

It's not really a good suggestion at all. That would mean I'd have to enter it every time I play. That's not an acceptable solution for me. I haven't had to do that for the last year + that I've been playing. Why should I suddenly have to do that now just to enjoy my game when it was fine before that?

If it becomes available as a cheat, it's available for modding as an "always on". There are always-on mods for the stereo cheat.

I'm not saying they should have made this change. I'm saying that if it's a mixed reception for it, maybe a middle ground solution with tweakability is an option. I can certainly understand their desire to nudge people to slow down gameplay sometimes, to be able to see animation detail that's obscured by fast-forwarding. Nudging us to find different parts of the game isn't a bad thing; being able to override that nudge wouldn't be a bad thing either.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.