Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TV channels scrambling...

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    If it becomes available as a cheat, it's available for modding as an "always on". There are always-on mods for the stereo cheat.

I'm not saying they should have made this change. I'm saying that if it's a mixed reception for it, maybe a middle ground solution with tweakability is an option.

I've been modding this game more and more recently (all for fixes). I'm not against fixing my game with outside sources, despite my concerns about the mod creator's long-standing interest and willingness to keep up with constant patching—this is what concerns me most about having to rely on them. Back in S2, I only had to worry every so many months, but now it's a month-to-month thing. It makes the reliability of such mods unstable at best.

Speaking of which, I'd be super happy if someone invented a mod to turn the phone off altogether. I can not state enough how much I hate it. Silence mode does not work.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    If it becomes available as a cheat, it's available for modding as an "always on". There are always-on mods for the stereo cheat.

I'm not saying they should have made this change. I'm saying that if it's a mixed reception for it, maybe a middle ground solution with tweakability is an option. I can certainly understand their desire to nudge people to slow down gameplay sometimes, to be able to see animation detail that's obscured by fast-forwarding. Nudging us to find different parts of the game isn't a bad thing; being able to override that nudge wouldn't be a bad thing either.

As usual, you're being too generous to the development team and their motives. Who says they're nudging us to do anything? And who says that they have the right to do so? Especially since there were no complaints about the situation in question to begin with?

When I play, I always play with speed 1; very rarely do I play otherwise. So, this situation wouldn't affect me; still, if the TV worked on fast forward the way it was originally designed, and if nobody complained about it, the dev team should have left well enough alone.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    HausOfSuperHausOfSuper Posts: 1,825 Member
    i liked how it looks actually.
    Male. INFP. Virgo.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    As usual, you're being too generous to the development team and their motives. Who says they're nudging us to do anything? And who says that they have the right to do so? Especially since there were no complaints about the situation in question to begin with?

When I play, I always play with speed 1; very rarely do I play otherwise. So, this situation wouldn't affect me; still, if the TV worked on fast forward the way it was originally designed, and if nobody complained about it, the dev team should have left well enough alone.

Nudging me to slow down is telling me how to play a game I should be able to make my own rules at. This is basically telling me I have no right to play that way any more.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I have this too. But I have been wondering....if your handy sim upgrades the tv if it improves?? I think I remember seeing a better reception upgrade?

I have some time before work this morning and couldn't resist. I loaded up a house with a sim that can instantly upgrade. I put the most expensive TV in his house and upgraded it. Better reception, my foot. It does not correct this issue. Makes sense though, seeing as it's not an issue and working as intended.

I seriously can't play this game any more. I had to turn it off. It annoys me that much.

ETA: it's knowing this is intentional is what's really upsetting me right now.
    Post edited by kremesch73 on
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    But the fast forward scrambling TV's affects the regular TV channels to. I find it annoying that they would add that as a feature and your sims get scrambled TV's watching just the normal TV channels.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

I'm not saying they should have made this change. I'm saying that if it's a mixed reception for it, maybe a middle ground solution with tweakability is an option. I can certainly understand their desire to nudge people to slow down gameplay sometimes, to be able to see animation detail that's obscured by fast-forwarding. Nudging us to find different parts of the game isn't a bad thing; being able to override that nudge wouldn't be a bad thing either.

They've spoken in the past about making changes in order to nudge players to find parts of the game that were underexplored. It seemed to me to be a reasonable thought that this might be a similar thing. (I never said it is that.)

And they have every right to do so. It's their game. They literally own the code and the right to update it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited January 2016

They've spoken in the past about making changes in order to nudge players to find parts of the game that were underexplored. It seemed to me to be a reasonable thought that this might be a similar thing. (I never said it is that.)

And they have every right to do so. It's their game. They literally own the code and the right to update it.

Nudging players in a specific direction goes against their entire marketing strategy for the game. I'm not saying you're incorrect, because Maxis does have an agenda with this game, but where exactly did you see that?

That being said I don't think this is any kind of nudge. They've talked about the excess fx people working on the team, and it wouldn't surprise me that this was something else they did in their "free time".
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    So many things to do, to fix, and this took priority. Resources well spent, no?
  • Options

Nudging players in a specific direction goes against their entire marketing strategy for the game. I'm not saying you're incorrect, because Maxis does have an agenda with this game, but where exactly did you see that?

That being said I don't think this is any kind of nudge. They've talked about the excess fx people working on the team, and it wouldn't surprise me that this was something else they did in their "free time".

Sorry, I don't recall. It was roughly a year ago, though.

And I've no idea why you would think this was someone's "free time" project when when it's related to a stuff pack that came out at the same time.

And having people who might not have a lot to do at a given time doesn't make them excess people; it means that the flow of work in and out of particular roles isn't always even. That's a pretty normal thing in any creative team process.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Yes, of course it's their game. And while they may have the right to make any changes, the player also has the right to express dissatisfaction with those changes. And, furthermore, having made this change, this may be the one nudge that makes yet one more player or more decide to give up on this franchise and walk away.

So, yes, it's their game. And if they want to destroy it, well then I guess they can...especially since they seem to be moving in the direction of cross-platform gameplay. (Maybe I should have answered that second survey they sent me in e-mail, rather than trashing it).

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options

Yes, of course it's their game. And while they may have the right to make any changes, the player also has the right to express dissatisfaction with those changes. And, furthermore, having made this change, this may be the one nudge that makes yet one more player or more decide to give up on this franchise and walk away.

So, yes, it's their game. And if they want to destroy it, well then I guess they can...especially since they seem to be moving in the direction of cross-platform gameplay. (Maybe I should have answered that second survey they sent me in e-mail, rather than trashing it).

Agreed that we all have that right, and ought to use it. Whether they're destroying it or not is obviously a matter of opinion that varies widely.
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member

(Maybe I should have answered that second survey they sent me in e-mail, rather than trashing it).f

You think that would have changes things .......lol I don't think so

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »
    greenXen wrote: »
    @Pekesims found information in the tuning descriptions to indicate the scrambling is intentional:
    "distortion_speed - Game speed at or above the distortion speed will have a distortion effect applied to the video when that speed is selected."
    I think they should at least add a cheat in the way they did for the stereos.

If it's in the tuning info, it should be easily moddable, though I agree that many users would prefer an in-game cheat. (Personally, I don't mind the change - if I'm playing on speed 2 or 3 I'm only trying to get through a step and am watching only to see when that step is done.)

This is me. I only speed through certain sections so I don't care if the music and/or video are sped up. Which also means I wouldn't care if they DIDN'T speed it up. At the very least, it would be nice to have a cheat to set it the way you want.

This is not something that really bothers me as I don't fast forward often anyway. But it would be nice to add a cheat for those that it does bother.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited January 2016
    What an unnecessary feature
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

And I've no idea why you would think this was someone's "free time" project when when it's related to a stuff pack that came out at the same time.

And having people who might not have a lot to do at a given time doesn't make them excess people; it means that the flow of work in and out of particular roles isn't always even. That's a pretty normal thing in any creative team process.

Before the game even came out Graham said on MTS that they had a lot of fx people who ran out of things to do so they submitted their own ideas for things they wanted to add. Key words there were ran out of things to do, which is what I imagine the case was here.

I'm just saying I think the change was completely unnecessary, and they clearly had free time to change the way television video works when nobody was complaining about it before. If this was a well thought out move, the option to disable it would have been provided already.
  • Options

Before the game even came out Graham said on MTS that they had a lot of fx people who ran out of things to do so they submitted their own ideas for things they wanted to add. Key words there were ran out of things to do, which is what I imagine the case was here.

I'm just saying I think the change was completely unnecessary, and they clearly had free time to change the way television video works when nobody was complaining about it before. If this was a well thought out move, the option to disable it would have been provided already.

Yes. What you're describing is about workflow through multiple roles, not about "excess" people.
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    Scrambling the channels is getting on my nerves. I play with a higher speed so my sims will go through their tediously slow actions faster. Granted, my sims usually don't watch TV, but when they do, it gets really annoying to see the scrambling channel. If I didn't play on a high speed, it would be forever before they finish their ice cream. When I speed the game up, the TV scrambles but the sim eats the ice cream faster...

They really need to check with players before implementing some things.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options

Before the game even came out Graham said on MTS that they had a lot of fx people who ran out of things to do so they submitted their own ideas for thitngs they wanted to add. Key words there were ran out of things to do, which is what I imagine the case was here.

Yes. What you're describing is about workflow through multiple roles, not about "excess" people.

Here is a snippet of the quote copied from SimsVIP:

"Our FX folks submitted their own long list of things they wanted to work on because there wasn’t enough for them to do."

There wasn't enough for them to do, what does that mean? That means they had a team large enough to complete all of their scheduled work, leaving them with free time where they pretty much asked to work on more stuff, stuff that Graham says they came up with themselves.

Now I can't say for certain that the same thing is happening here, it's my best guess. This is going way OT now. Haha
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    I think it's pretty cool B)
  • Options

Before the game even came out Graham said on MTS that they had a lot of fx people who ran out of things to do so they submitted their own ideas for thitngs they wanted to add. Key words there were ran out of things to do, which is what I imagine the case was here.

Here is a snippet of the quote copied from SimsVIP:

"Our FX folks submitted their own long list of things they wanted to work on because there wasn’t enough for them to do."

There wasn't enough for them to do, what does that mean? That means they had a team large enough to complete all of their scheduled work, leaving them with free time where they pretty much asked to work on more stuff, stuff that Graham says they came up with themselves.

Now I can't say for certain that the same thing is happening here, it's my best guess. This is going way OT now. Haha

It means there was a time when what would be coming there way wasn't there yet. They'd all be busy later and therefore aren't excess staff. You can't just lay staff off every time there's a slow week in their schedule.
  • Options
    Haiden wrote: »

(Maybe I should have answered that second survey they sent me in e-mail, rather than trashing it).f

You think that would have changes things .......lol I don't think so

Well, I thought it was a repeat of the first survey I took, because it had the same cover letter. But, it might have been something different. I'll never know now.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options

It means there was a time when what would be coming there way wasn't there yet. They'd all be busy later and therefore aren't excess staff. You can't just lay staff off every time there's a slow week in their schedule.

And so far, all the FX people have done is make an FX sea monster and some sheep. Productive use of staff there.

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options

And so far, all the FX people have done is make an FX sea monster and some sheep. Productive use of staff there.

And you know that's all they've done how exactly? You know they've done those things because you were told they did; you know nothing about what else they've done.

• Options

And you know that's all they've done how exactly? You know they've done those things because you were told they did; you know nothing about what else they've done.

Neither do you, so I guess that makes us even.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!