May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

People using LOL ironically and incorretly

1141516171820...Next

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Considering disagree and lol why does it matter someone disagreed with an opinion? Why is that hurtful? I will ask again like I did many months ago when this was all being discussed then, too. Is this forum for popularity or to discuss The Sims series/games/franchise?

I also read where someone was upset due to someone disagreed with a picture of their game. I'm sorry but if someone says the game has the best graphics ever, and then put up a picture with bad lighting, rigid dinnerware plates, pots and pans, and no detail on the trees seen in their picture, I would probably hit the disagree button. But I never have, but I would be thinking No, wrong.
    Disagree in fact was pressed for silly and wrong reasons and often didn't make any sense. The thing is, you could tell when it was so why bother. But I miss lol more than I miss disagree. Lol often doesn't need an explanation, it's just what it stands for: laughing out loud. Disagree does need an explanation imo, on a forum. I only disagreed without an explanation when someone made the same repetitive bashing silly remark for the 100th time. Otherwise I reacted and often forgot about the button all together. When you can lift a finger to press disagree you can also lift ten to explain why.

Except LOL seemed to need an explanation. It was upsetting people too.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member
    Considering disagree and lol why does it matter someone disagreed with an opinion? Why is that hurtful? I will ask again like I did many months ago when this was all being discussed then, too. Is this forum for popularity or to discuss The Sims series/games/franchise?

I also read where someone was upset due to someone disagreed with a picture of their game. I'm sorry but if someone says the game has the best graphics ever, and then put up a picture with bad lighting, rigid dinnerware plates, pots and pans, and no detail on the trees seen in their picture, I would probably hit the disagree button. But I never have, but I would be thinking No, wrong.
    Disagree in fact was pressed for silly and wrong reasons and often didn't make any sense. The thing is, you could tell when it was so why bother. But I miss lol more than I miss disagree. Lol often doesn't need an explanation, it's just what it stands for: laughing out loud. Disagree does need an explanation imo, on a forum. I only disagreed without an explanation when someone made the same repetitive bashing silly remark for the 100th time. Otherwise I reacted and often forgot about the button all together. When you can lift a finger to press disagree you can also lift ten to explain why.

What about cases where somebody has already explained why they disagree more eloquently than you (general)? You can (well, could) hit disagree and then like that post. Are we supposed to just quote the post that we agree with each time? Don't you feel like it would be more annoying have 5 people post the exact same thing than having 5 people hit disagree?

A while back when I was having a bad day I made the mistake of saying that I think people should have to explain why they disagree. I realize now that that is just plain silly. People should be allowed to disagree without explanation. We can agree without explanation.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2015

What about cases where somebody has already explained why they disagree more eloquently than you (general)? You can (well, could) hit disagree and then like that post. Are we supposed to just quote the post that we agree with each time? Don't you feel like it would be more annoying have 5 people post the exact same thing than having 5 people hit disagree?

A while back when I was having a bad day I made the mistake of saying that I think people should have to explain why they disagree. I realize now that that is just plain silly. People should be allowed to disagree without explanation. We can agree without explanation.
    So much this. I don't harass others asking why they have pressed like, awesome, or insightful on my posts. Why are only those three buttons allowed without explanation?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2015

Except LOL seemed to need an explanation. It was upsetting people too.
    Yes, I know, I've had my share of lols like that ;) I just really don't understand why that upsets people. For me the value of lol for proper use outweights the apparent frustration it causes when it's used as a disagree (or a "hi I have the intelligence of a paramecium and I'm not afraid to show it"). Especially since I'm not under the impression it's used in the wrong way by more than three or four people tops.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

True, in those cases I also just pressed disagree. But I don't miss the button for that, because now I just press insightful, like or awesome for the person who explained it for me. That has exactly the same effect.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited October 2015

True, in those cases I also just pressed disagree. But I don't miss the button for that, because now I just press insightful, like or awesome for the person who explained it for me. That has exactly the same effect.

It doesn't have the same effect. The disagree/like (or awesome) ratio was obvious on the page. It took one glance to see that 30 simmers disagreed with an idea and 2 people agreed. Now, if you want to gauge the general feel in the forums for certain ideas, you have to scroll through and try to compare "likes" to see what the majority thinks.

Just because a bunch of people agree with a post that says "I only want red cars in the game because other colors make me sick" and no one else responds to the thread because it's a silly and boring topic, that isn't really indicative of the general attitude towards the desired color of cars in the game by most players.

You may not be interested in numbers like that, but I am. I like seeing how certain ideas are received in a clearly defined way instead of having to compare apples with apples.
  • Options
    Seamoan wrote: »
    It doesn't have the same effect. The disagree/like (or awesome) ratio was obvious on the page. It took one glance to see that 30 simmers disagreed with an idea and 2 people agreed. Now, if you want to gauge the general feel in the forums for certain ideas, you have to scroll through and try to compare "likes" to see what the majority thinks.

Just because a bunch of people agree with a post that says "I only want red cars in the game because other colors make me sick" and no one else responds to the thread because it's a silly and boring topic, that isn't really indicative of the general attitude towards the desired color of cars in the game by most players.

You may not be interested in numbers like that, but I am. I like seeing how certain ideas are received in a clearly defined way instead of having to compare apples with apples.
    Yes it was great for ideas and for the mods section. I could see how popular a mod or CC was or not. One of the ideas was co-op/online play. It was interesting to see how people really felt about it in regards to numbers. I guess the removal of disagree was a way to censor, "you are the minority" claims. It is quite silly whenever I hear "your ideas and opinions don't matter because you are only the minority. Even if you still get your feature, you will still find a way to complain." Then people wonder why I don't like to talk to them or explain why I disagree with them with rude comments like that and "get off of forums" or "I'm going to report you."
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Yes it was great for ideas and for the mods section. I could see how popular a mod or CC was or not. One of the ideas was co-op/online play. It was interesting to see how people really felt about it in regards to numbers. I guess the removal of disagree was a way to censor, "you are the minority" claims. It is quite silly whenever I hear "your ideas and opinions don't matter because you are only the minority. Even if you still get your feature, you will still find a way to complain." Then people wonder why I don't like to talk to them or explain why I disagree with them with rude comments like that and "get off of forums" or "I'm going to report you."

I compare it to looking at highly-rated reviews before I buy something online. Sure, the numbers are always going to be skewed by people who are trolling and everyone is going to have their own opinion regardless, but it's a nice baseline.

With the way the word "telemetry" gets thrown around all the time in interviews, you'd think EA/Maxis would appreciate clear data on how certain ideas are getting received by the forum community.

Instead, like you said, we have to guess while wading through rude comments like "get off the forums" or "I'm going to report you." :|
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I compare it to looking at highly-rated reviews before I buy something online. Sure, the numbers are always going to be skewed by people who are trolling and everyone is going to have their own opinion regardless, but it's a nice baseline.

With the way the word "telemetry" gets thrown around all the time in interviews, you'd think EA/Maxis would appreciate clear data on how certain ideas are getting received by the forum community.

Instead, like you said, we have to guess while wading through rude comments like "get off the forums" or "I'm going to report you." :|
    Yeah I view it like reviews too. Yeah telemetry is allowed in game, but not on forums? Doesn't make sense. But oh well. I found my new disagree:
    tumblr_nvm1woVJl61ui564io1_250.gif

Back to using gifs I guess.

This for LOL, death by laughter. I might have to find a better image or take my own.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Nope got my new LOL picture now:
    2580ef0a05bab8cb65abef80b116b2af577501ff0d60749988e184831b7279aa.jpg

Now I'm not sure if that would work for disagree, don't want to get reported for saying Ew.
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited October 2015
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    That Log Don't Roll.... ;)

I like the Texas version better: TD:DH...That Dawg Don't Hunt :mrgreen:
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited October 2015

That's true but I just never approached the button that way, especially since disagree was abused as well as it was used for its proper purpose. I do look at likes (awesomes and insightfuls, to be honest I'd prefer just one button for that) when I see a very long post. English isn't my first language and I can't easily 'scan' long texts like I can in my own language. When I see a wall of text that got 20+ likes I start reading it because it indicates the poster apparently has something interesting to say. So the positive buttons are more of a guide for me than the negative was. But that's me, I appreciate it's different for others ;)

Also I'm not the kind of person who automatically values what 'most simmers want'. I'm too cocky for that I guess. If 50 people like an opinion I don't agree with I can still feel those 50 people are wrong and I and 3 others are right B) Majorities aren't always right and those buttons do have the tendency to give the impression they do. The 'when so many people think so it must be true' syndrom.

I didn't mind the disagree button btw, I sometimes loved to press it myself, for me it didn't have to go. But I miss the lol button way more.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

That's true but I just never approached the button that way, especially since disagree was abused as well as it was used for its proper purpose. I do look at likes (awesomes and insightfuls, to be honest I'd prefer just one button for that) when I see a very long post. English isn't my first language and I can't easily 'scan' long texts like I can in my own language. When I see a wall of text that got 20+ likes I start reading it because it indicates the poster apparently has something interesting to say. So the positive buttons are more of a guide for me than the negative was. But that's me, I appreciate it's different for others ;)

Also I'm not the kind of person who automatically values what 'most simmers want'. I'm too cocky for that I guess. If 50 people like an opinion I don't agree with I can still feel those 50 people are wrong and I and 3 others are right B) Majorities aren't always right and those buttons do have the tendency to give the impression they do. The 'when so many people think so it must be true' syndrom.

I didn't mind the disagree button btw, I sometimes loved to press it myself, for me it didn't have to go. But I miss the lol button way more.

I'm not understanding how anyone can say the majority of fans on this forum misused the disagree button. Sure, I have had someone disagree with something as silly as I don't like the TS4 as much as I do the TS2. So, someone hit the disagree button (one who always followed me, big deal) and in that case it was misused (I guess if I can read their mind, LOL) because I know my own mind and know I don't like the TS4 as much as the TS2..so what was there to disagree with? And I have come back and asked the one (who followed me around) why they thought they knew my mind. However, I can't swear on a stack of bibles can I? that is why they hit disagree (to troll) when they might have disagreed for an entirely different reason that I just can't fathom.

See, it's ludicrous to say 'the majority' was misusing the lols and disagree, because that means the majority is evil, mean, and trolls and I just don't believe that. And what it boils down to, is some very persuasive people who got their way months ago, get their way on this too, even though we voted to bring them back and keep them but those four or five people get their way.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AHeinAHein Posts: 46 Member
    Agree!

tumblr_mww92shs3D1s6o0byo1_400.gif
  • Options

I'm not understanding how anyone can say the majority of fans on this forum misused the disagree button. Sure, I have had someone disagree with something as silly as I don't like the TS4 as much as I do the TS2. So, someone hit the disagree button (one who always followed me, big deal) and in that case it was misused (I guess if I can read their mind, LOL) because I know my own mind and know I don't like the TS4 as much as the TS2..so what was there to disagree with? And I have come back and asked the one (who followed me around) why they thought they knew my mind. However, I can't swear on a stack of bibles can I? that is why they hit disagree (to troll) when they might have disagreed for an entirely different reason that I just can't fathom.

See, it's ludicrous to say 'the majority' was misusing the lols and disagree, because that means the majority is evil, mean, and trolls and I just don't believe that. And what it boils down to, is some very persuasive people who got their way months ago, get their way on this too, even though we voted to bring them back and keep them but those four or five people get their way.
    I don't understand the "misused" part either. I think buttons were new, so Simmers just enjoyed using them while they could. We kind of expected they would be taken away anyway because anything that a select few don't like usually does. Funny thing is they have issues with the like button as well, yet that remains. It doesn't make sense to me. It is like so what if I don't agree that Sims 4 is the best game ever or that Dina is better than Dina. It's a subjective opinion. People who press awesome, LOL, and like don't have to explain themselves either. I wanted to avoid forum fights because some are just report happy and will go out of their way to get members they don't like banned. I don't understand how some think they can read my mind better than I can. Yep, they didn't like the return of the buttons and went through a lot of effort to get them removed again. I felt sorry they had nothing better to do than that and get people banned now. Oh well, it is what ignore is for. I will be using cute pictures instead to say I LOL or disagree with someone and I won't tell them why. ;)
  • Options
    This thread has been dragging along for months. It just goes to show that even though the community voted 80% to 20% to keep buttons that the 20% sure has tenacity in the face of popular opinion.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    This thread has been dragging along for months. It just goes to show that even though the community voted 80% to 20% to keep buttons that the 20% sure has tenacity in the face of popular opinion.
    Yep, it just shows that site polls don't matter anymore and that we can't trust people. If anything it made things worst.
  • Options
    Yep, it just shows that site polls don't matter anymore and that we can't trust people. If anything it made things worst.

You mean an atmosphere of distrust and suspicion? Why what would ever make you think that?

• Options

You mean an atmosphere of distrust and suspicion? Why what would ever make you think that?
    LOL the increase of warnings and bans being given out since the button removal. Plus someone admitted how proud they are with the button removal. Mods said that wasn't the case, that everyone was "misusing" the buttons. I don't think I'll understand that. Every button has been misused if that is the case. But yes I don't feel safe on forums anymore right now. Removing LOL and disagree is the same as the google chrome glitch in which Simmers could see who disagreed or LOL them. It makes people into targets now and like they can't even share their opinion in silence anymore without the fear of the ban hammer.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Yes, but you have to realize that the 20% is pro-Sims 4. And their goal in life is to drive the 80% off the forums so that they can have only sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows on this forum 24/7. You know, because disagree and LOL only cause "negativity". So it's good that those buttons are gone. <insert smug tone of voice here>

Yeah, right.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Yes, but you have to realize that the 20% is pro-Sims 4. And their goal in life is to drive the 80% off the forums so that they can have only sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows on this forum 24/7. You know, because disagree and LOL only cause "negativity". So it's good that those buttons are gone. <insert smug tone of voice here>

Yeah, right.

I agree.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

Yeah I view it like reviews too. Yeah telemetry is allowed in game, but not on forums? Doesn't make sense. But oh well. I found my new disagree:
    tumblr_nvm1woVJl61ui564io1_250.gif

Back to using gifs I guess.

This for LOL, death by laughter. I might have to find a better image or take my own.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Nope got my new LOL picture now:
    2580ef0a05bab8cb65abef80b116b2af577501ff0d60749988e184831b7279aa.jpg

Now I'm not sure if that would work for disagree, don't want to get reported for saying Ew.

I seriously doubt you will be able to use gifs as a response. It caused many people to get banned last year. And there was a thread to remove them and not let people use them anymore. SimGuruBChick stated in that thread she didn't want to take away being able to use gifs because she enjoyed them, too. But we all know how many got banned when they used them last year. I would be careful before I used any gif as a lol.
  • Options

Next poll, (we have so few, LOL) don't even bother voting because it won't matter.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member

Next poll, (we have so few, LOL) don't even bother voting because it won't matter.

Totally agree! :+1:
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    what does it mean "incorrectly" ?

where are the written rules, the legal terms how to laugh ?

i have a rather dark sense of humour,
    i obstain from watching horror movies, cause i have to laugh too much then
    & i am way nicer to sims than to humans, so ... i laugh politically incorrect
    more backbone usually prevents from getting hurt when people laugh at you,
    the own independend standing is always the best way to live - that's my opinion only of course :grimace:

& in general all sunshine & rainbows doesn't make the world a better place & people nicer to each other
    it makes liars, betrayal & backstabbing

LOL button is not the "I hate You" button
    & trolls find always a way to spam with or without whatever buttons
    one shouldn't define oneself along what the misuse of something is - knives are still in use although you can kill people with, they are cause they are useful & make human life functioning
    the LOL button makes this forum more fun

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member

maxresdefault.jpg

that's the hypocricy of it all

TheSims is popular because it contains dark humour
    one of the reasons that TS4 is the least popular is because it is so whitewashed
    there are no burglars, no Bonehilda, enemies are joking friendly with each other
    while on the other hand death by laughter was introduced, there is still the cowplant in it, sims become embarrassed, mortified, pass out on the floor with their butt in the air & pass out in the pool dying ... so who does play TheSims, this highly popular game as a rosy Barbie world only ? would this game have become that popular really, would it attract millions of players, would it have generated the revenue for EA if it would be from the start whitewashed ?

this game alone attracts players with sense of dark humour
    & to be LOLed by someone who finds my comment just ridiculous or naive or inexperienced is not the end of the world
    & also it isn't if i do it :grimace:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA