Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

People using LOL ironically and incorretly

Comments

• Options
    pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    It's like you said above, somebody talking about health problems and somebody else presses the LOL buttons on that persons post :/

Its for reasons like this I don't care its gone!
    It seems like people were using LOL as meaning lots of love too. So it could have been used to show support as well. It is impossible to read the mind of others of why they use buttons or not.

LOL Means this to me,

Laughing out loud; laugh out loud (used chiefly in electronic communication to draw attention to a joke or amusing statement, or to express amusement):

In regards to what I bolded, the fact that someone would LOL (assuming they are aware of its meaning) a post about health issues/deaths/sad topics speaks more about the person who hit LOL than the person who posted. I never once read a sad post, saw that someone laughed at it and thought "gee. That person is right. This tragedy IS hilarious."

I tend to think "what sort of person would think this is funny?"

I tend to wonder why someone would tell their life story to strangers, with all respect if we are using strangers for our sounding boards I don't think this is the place to do that. They set themselves up actually and can't expect the world to love them. And why I said in this thread or the other if lol offends and or disagree then maybe anyone with that problem should really think why they are using a game forum to tell their history which might even be traumatic. Never show a weakness on the internet. Period. ETA: Our daily affirmations shouldn't be from a game forum or the internet, Twitter or FB.

I have met a few people in real life that do that. The ones that I've met were not mentally well. I don't know about the people who do it on the internet. It could be that they feel they don't have many people in their regular lives that they can talk to, and the internet provides them with some caring and kind souls.

I couldn't do it myself, because you're right. You don't show weakness on the internet. However, if someone feels that posting on the internet is the best way for them to get out what they need to get out, then I will stand up for them (and I have a feeling you would too).
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's like you said above, somebody talking about health problems and somebody else presses the LOL buttons on that persons post :/

It seems like people were using LOL as meaning lots of love too. So it could have been used to show support as well. It is impossible to read the mind of others of why they use buttons or not.

LOL Means this to me,

Laughing out loud; laugh out loud (used chiefly in electronic communication to draw attention to a joke or amusing statement, or to express amusement):

In regards to what I bolded, the fact that someone would LOL (assuming they are aware of its meaning) a post about health issues/deaths/sad topics speaks more about the person who hit LOL than the person who posted. I never once read a sad post, saw that someone laughed at it and thought "gee. That person is right. This tragedy IS hilarious."

I tend to wonder why someone would tell their life story to strangers, with all respect if we are using strangers for our sounding boards I don't think this is the place to do that. They set themselves up actually and can't expect the world to love them. And why I said in this thread or the other if lol offends and or disagree then maybe anyone with that problem should really think why they are using a game forum to tell their history which might even be traumatic. Never show a weakness on the internet. Period. ETA: Our daily affirmations shouldn't be from a game forum or the internet, Twitter or FB.

I have met a few people in real life that do that. The ones that I've met were not mentally well. I don't know about the people who do it on the internet. It could be that they feel they don't have many people in their regular lives that they can talk to, and the internet provides them with some caring and kind souls.

I couldn't do it myself, because you're right. You don't show weakness on the internet. However, if someone feels that posting on the internet is the best way for them to get out what they need to get out, then I will stand up for them (and I have a feeling you would too).

O.K. but that is why we have PMs is it not? Or Off topic right? But when we are discussing a game and they use a tragic story (which is tragic and shouldn't be lolled) then why would anyone tell the whole world. Not only can forum readers read it, but the entire world. Just search your user name here you can find everything ever said. Then expect the whole world is full of nice people? No, you don't tell something that gives someone a weak spot to pick at.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

LOL Means this to me,

O.K. but that is why we have PMs is it not? Or Off topic right? But when we are discussing a game and they use a tragic story (which is tragic and shouldn't be lolled) then why would anyone tell the whole world. Not only can forum readers read it, but the entire world. Just search your user name here you can find everything ever said. Then expect the whole world is full of nice people? No, you don't tell something that gives someone a weak spot to pick at.

Oh, I completely agree with you. I was just offering a possible reason as to why people do that.
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member

LOL Means this to me,

Oh, I completely agree with you. I was just offering a possible reason as to why people do that.
    I made a comment once stating exactly this. This is a game forum, and when you talk about personal issues you can't legislate how people will respond. Instead of penalizing everyone I think those posts should be redirected to an off-topic chat and let the thread continue.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options

LOL Means this to me,

I made a comment once stating exactly this. This is a game forum, and when you talk about personal issues you can't legislate how people will respond. Instead of penalizing everyone I think those posts should be redirected to an off-topic chat and let the thread continue.

I agree with that too. I also think that if someone can't handle a negative response to what they post, then they shouldn't post. Not everyone thinks alike, not everyone agrees, and that is okay. If we all agreed on everything this world would be an extremely boring place.

Disagreeing allows for new ideas to be spread. Even if it was just a simple button, it could lead people to think a new way. One simmer posted somewhere (possibly this thread) that when she/he would see a disagreement on something she/he would research the topic and learn something new. Yes, it can be abused. However I refuse to believe the majority of people abused it. I have no doubt a few people did, but punishing everybody for the act of a select few isn't right.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Considering disagree and lol why does it matter someone disagreed with an opinion? Why is that hurtful? I will ask again like I did many months ago when this was all being discussed then, too. Is this forum for popularity or to discuss The Sims series/games/franchise?

I also read where someone was upset due to someone disagreed with a picture of their game. I'm sorry but if someone says the game has the best graphics ever, and then put up a picture with bad lighting, rigid dinnerware plates, pots and pans, and no detail on the trees seen in their picture, I would probably hit the disagree button. But I never have, but I would be thinking No, wrong.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Ok I think I'm getting annoyed by the increase in stalking since the buttons removal. It is considered harassment and stalking to follow people that are not their friends and hit report. I've seen so many people get banned and warned since the button removal. Seriously @SimGuruDrake where is the protection from that? It is doing nothing but supporting their stalking habits. Ironic since they said they get stalked from buttons, yet they do the same with report. Yes I do think there is favoritism shown to only those that say they 100% love the Sims 4. Sorry Jarsie you have been getting stalked. This is what makes forums toxic and why people leave forums and the Sims altogether. But don't feed them. They'll use it against you.

Rules of Conduct include:
    - Harass, threaten, embarrass, spam or do anything else to another player that is unwanted, such as repeatedly sending unwanted messages or making personal attacks or statements about race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.
    - Improperly use in-game support or complaint buttons or make false reports to EA staff.
    - Interfere with the ability of others to enjoy playing an EA Service or take actions that interfere with
    or materially increase the cost to provide an EA Service for the enjoyment of all its users.

If you encounter another user who is violating any of the Rules of Conduct, please report this activity to EA using the "Help" or "Report Abuse" functions in the relevant EA Service, if available, or contact Customer Support at help.ea.com, support.popcap.com (for PopCap products) or swtor.com/support (for Star Wars™: The Old Republic).

Pursuant to Cal. Civil Code § 1789.3, please note that (a) EA is located at 209 Redwood Shores Parkway, Redwood City, CA 94065, (b) The fees and charges for EA Services vary depending on the services selected by you, and (c) If you have a complaint regarding EA Services or desire further information on use of EA Services, visit EA's Customer Support web pages at help.ea.com, support.popcap.com (for PopCap products) or swtor.com/support (for Star Wars™: The Old Republic). For complaints, you may also contact the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the Department of Consumer Affairs in writing at 400 "R" Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 or by telephone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210.

EA supplies alternatives for consumers that feel they are being treated unfairly according to the Rules of Conduct in the ToS. Corporate authorizes their employees to apply individual interpretations of the Rules of Conduct. However, if a consumer disagrees with that interpretation there are options: they could take their issue higher up the corporate ladder or they could seek out a safer environment for their activities. No one should feel as if they are being stalked by the Rules of Conduct.
  • Options
    HausOfSuperHausOfSuper Posts: 1,825 Member
    edited October 2015
    Sorry, but there is people who can't find someone to tell their problems in real life and decide to tell on internet.
    We have a thread here for hard times. I used it sometimes because I felt like no one listened to me. I want to ask for help where I feel comfortable too! No matter what you say, it's not right to LOL someone thats talking about illness or disorders.
    Male. INFP. Virgo.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Sorry, but there is people who can find someone to tell their problems in real life and decide to tell on internet.
    We have a thread here for hard times. I used it sometimes because I felt like no one listened to me. I want to ask for help where I feel comfortable too! No matter what you say, it's not right to LOL someone thats talking about illness or disorders.

No one is saying it is. But instead of punishing those who use lol when they laugh about something that is meant to be funny, is also wrong. We can't say the person who lolled a tragic thing wasn't really laughing out loud can we? I mean maybe it is funny to them. People deal with things many different ways and who are we to say it's inappropriate if that is how they cope?

Think about that for a little while. Have you ever known anyone who may laugh when something bad happened because they can't cope with the crying? I have. And to look into a crystal ball and attempt to know the intent of another is just as wrong and especially report back who lolled who and use their own crystal ball to decide why that person laughed.

I'm all for fairness and will always be (I hope) but trying to determine intent is ridiculous. When that person may actually have an illness responding correctly according to society and or may just deal with things like that with laughter. You never know. As some said here today, they disagreed with people who didn't have good grammar in their paragraphs, and had nothing to do with whether they agreed or not.

I would never think there are grammar police here, too. LOL But there are. So, trying to delve into someone's brain from a button is absurd.

ETA: And by the same token remove the like button because it won't be long until someone claims that is being used against them if someone else gets more likes if they also disagreed with the poster. Wait and see. It's all ridiculous in my eyes.

ETA: How can anyone determine the majority of users here are misusing the lol button? Seriously, how can they read minds?
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Sorry, but there is people who can find someone to tell their problems in real life and decide to tell on internet.

It might not be "right" but people have to realize something. When you (general you) post something on the Internet you are voluntarily opening yourself up to what is out there. The Internet is like life intensified. There's good and bad and it's easier for people to be bad.

If you don't want to get hurtful feedback on the Internet you have to be very careful what and where you post it. If you post sensitive information indiscriminately you're bound to get some.

This is a game forum and maybe chat rooms or communities set up for specific purposes are a better place to go. There are even PMs here to contact someone you have a relationship with rather than making a public post. Even the forum guidelines say not to post personal information. It cites "your age, contact info, personal pictures, etc. " it's that etc. that people should think about.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

It might not be "right" but people have to realize something. When you (general you) post something on the Internet you are voluntarily opening yourself up to what is out there. The Internet is like life intensified. There's good and bad and it's easier for people to be bad.

If you don't want to get hurtful feedback on the Internet you have to be very careful what and where you post it. If you post sensitive information indiscriminately you're bound to get some.

This is a game forum and maybe chat rooms or communities set up for specific purposes are a better place to go. There are even PMs here to contact someone you have a relationship with rather than making a public post. Even the forum guidelines say not to post personal information. It cites "your age, contact info, personal pictures, etc. " it's that etc. that people should think about.
    Perhaps "etc" should be replaced with specifics. Since there are a lot of young and non-English speaking people on the forums fleshing out specifics instead of using the incredibly vague "etc" might prove more useful.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
  • Options

Perhaps "etc" should be replaced with specifics. Since there are a lot of young and non-English speaking people on the forums fleshing out specifics instead of using the incredibly vague "etc" might prove more useful.

Rules are kept ambiguous for a reason. It's so they can be used to cover things that the company might not thought of.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,590 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi :mrgreen:

Truth tell- I don't mind people talking about Some of their personal life- although I believe there are restrictions to protect people- I also like that there's a Off Topic section for people to play games and chat about other things. Finally we have that again but it's bringing its* own problems with it.

Here's a suggestion- instead of removing All Disagree (which isn't dislike), why not remove those buttons from that section? Then anyone posting about their life problems in the OT section won't get a Disagree and feel attacked. Can't they do that?

Remove the buttons from any OT section. Of course, others can't just hit the LIke button for support...

I'm not comfortable with posting my personal information, besides small things. But I truely hope that if anyone has serious problems they can find real help and not have to rely on a game forum. :(

• Options

And let's get even stricter, and make users stop using net speak. I would actually vote for that one. There was a time people weren't allowed to use net speak and others not be able to understand it. I think we should go back and stop using it. It makes for bad grammar. LOL
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Sorry, but there is people who can't find someone to tell their problems in real life and decide to tell on internet.

I have to disagree. This is the Internet- There are many sites that will offer free help and support for real life problems.

I like that topic and it's for sharing problems, and no, no one is saying it's alright *to laugh at someone's problems. I'm saying to punish the ones who *are mis-using the buttons and making others feel harassed.
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :mrgreen:

Truth tell- I don't mind people talking about Some of their personal life- although I believe there are restrictions to protect people- I also like that there's a Off Topic section for people to play games and chat about other things. Finally we have that again but it's bringing it's own problems with it.

Here's a suggestion- instead of removing All Disagree (which isn't dislike), why not remove those buttons from that section? Then anyone posting about their life problems in the OT section won't get a Disagree and feel attacked. Can't they do that?

Remove the buttons from any OT section. Of course, others can't just hit the LIke button for support...

I'm not comfortable with posting my personal information, besides small things. But I truely hope that if anyone has serious problems they can find real help and not have to rely on a game forum. :(
    That is a fabulous idea! It would solve that issue while also gently steering people who want to talk about personal issues to the correct threads. Nice!
  • Options

And let's get even stricter, and make users stop using net speak. I would actually vote for that one. There was a time people weren't allowed to use net speak and others not be able to understand it. I think we should go back and stop using it. It makes for bad grammar. LOL

I agree but............NGH = Not Gonna Happen
  • Options

Speaking of internet lingo, what on earth is TL DR?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Stands for Too Long; Don't Read. Normally applies to really long posts i.e., a "wall of text."
  • Options

Stand for Too Long; Don't Read. Normally applies to really long posts i.e., a "wall of text."

Thank you. I kept trying to figure it out on my own but nothing I came up with armed even close to a possibility.
  • Options
    That Log Don't Roll.... ;)
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    That Log Don't Roll.... ;)

Lol. I like this better. I'll stick this with my yolo mistake and give every abbreviation left a much more entertaining meaning!
  • Options

Stand for Too Long; Don't Read. Normally applies to really long posts i.e., a "wall of text."

Thank you. I kept trying to figure it out on my own but nothing I came up with armed even close to a possibility.

You're welcome. I usually see these at the end of a wall of text, which kind of defeats the purpose lol. :smiley:

I should also add it can mean Too Long; Didn't Read (used by someone responding to a long post) or as a trolling or funny way to tell someone to get to the point. Internet lingo is a language all its own - I've spent a lot of time on Google lol.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Shadoza2 wrote: »

EA supplies alternatives for consumers that feel they are being treated unfairly according to the Rules of Conduct in the ToS. Corporate authorizes their employees to apply individual interpretations of the Rules of Conduct. However, if a consumer disagrees with that interpretation there are options: they could take their issue higher up the corporate ladder or they could seek out a safer environment for their activities. No one should feel as if they are being stalked by the Rules of Conduct.
    Sorry had to snipe, but thank you for that. I'm just having to use ignore for now. It does make me feel uncomfortable whenever I read someone is going around reporting others on a regular basis. That is why removing the buttons was hard. It was nice just being able to LOL and disagree without having to feel like getting into a heated fight and become stalked by the Rules of Conduct. Forums were not welcoming when I joined them last year. I had so many members stalk me with the rules saying I was going off-topic every time. It became unpleasant to be around. Why the family thread became a safe oasis. I felt welcomed there and if I needed help learning the rules I could go there or with the welcome thread.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2015
    Considering disagree and lol why does it matter someone disagreed with an opinion? Why is that hurtful? I will ask again like I did many months ago when this was all being discussed then, too. Is this forum for popularity or to discuss The Sims series/games/franchise?

I also read where someone was upset due to someone disagreed with a picture of their game. I'm sorry but if someone says the game has the best graphics ever, and then put up a picture with bad lighting, rigid dinnerware plates, pots and pans, and no detail on the trees seen in their picture, I would probably hit the disagree button. But I never have, but I would be thinking No, wrong.
    Disagree in fact was pressed for silly and wrong reasons and often didn't make any sense. The thing is, you could tell when it was so why bother. But I miss lol more than I miss disagree. Lol often doesn't need an explanation, it's just what it stands for: laughing out loud. Disagree does need an explanation imo, on a forum. I only disagreed without an explanation when someone made the same repetitive bashing silly remark for the 100th time. Otherwise I reacted and often forgot about the button all together. When you can lift a finger to press disagree you can also lift ten to explain why.
    5JZ57S6.png