Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

People using LOL ironically and incorretly

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    anettesb wrote: »
    Did you ever look at the fact that when you get LOLed you are getting positive forum points?

that don't change the fact that it is hurtfull to get loled at a serius post about unhappy things. beside you don't get them for every lol.

thats said I do not want it removed, some use it badly... but some also use the alpahbeth badly to post things on the forum.
    I rater that there be some way to take care of thoses using it to make fun of others.

there is also the fact of slipping fingers... if your on a tablet it can be hard, and I have hit lol with out wanting to (if I see it then I ofcourse remove it) when just scroling
    or people smiling with you at something more happy in the post.

then there is does that use it to disagree and thats wrong... but thats why I liked that we hade the agree and disagree buttons last year.

for the bad day posts I some times wish we had a "hug/I feel for you" button... as I don't want to like a sad post, but do want to expres "I see you, but have no words"

I just find it so odd that people take a little button click so seriously. It might be one thing if a real life friend or loved one laughed at something you said in a serious way but to get upset over a lol in a forum....I just don't get it. I get LOLed quite often...I just feel bad that the person clicking that button isn't articulate enough to express themselves with words. That's just sad and I feel sorry for them that they aren't able to put a sentence together.

If your in an emotional state, it takes less to get more Hurt.
    To click on lol at a serious post like that (people takeing about sickness or love one that died and the like) is just plan mean.
    I do not find it odd that people can get Hurt, i do find it odd when people don't see why it might Hurt.
    But yes it is sad that some find the need to laugh at others misfortune, that doesn't makes it right, or that we have to acept it and do nothing about it.

We just look at this differently. For one I'd never post an emotionally charged issue in a forum like this. If you are familiar with this place and know the kind of people who can lurk around here I think you just let yourself open to the situation of having one of them pounce. Another is I never let myself get upset over something someone says here. Maybe it's that I've seen a lot of the world, known serious life changing events and have a certain perspective that my age allow me to have. Some things that are said here by some of the posters just don't make my list of the top 100 things that bother me.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited August 2015
    Did you ever look at the fact that when you get LOLed you are getting positive forum points?

Actually, the lols don't give points like the like buttons do. That's why people are using them to laugh at people.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member

that don't change the fact that it is hurtfull to get loled at a serius post about unhappy things. beside you don't get them for every lol.

thats said I do not want it removed, some use it badly... but some also use the alpahbeth badly to post things on the forum.
    I rater that there be some way to take care of thoses using it to make fun of others.

there is also the fact of slipping fingers... if your on a tablet it can be hard, and I have hit lol with out wanting to (if I see it then I ofcourse remove it) when just scroling
    or people smiling with you at something more happy in the post.

then there is does that use it to disagree and thats wrong... but thats why I liked that we hade the agree and disagree buttons last year.

for the bad day posts I some times wish we had a "hug/I feel for you" button... as I don't want to like a sad post, but do want to expres "I see you, but have no words"

I just find it so odd that people take a little button click so seriously. It might be one thing if a real life friend or loved one laughed at something you said in a serious way but to get upset over a lol in a forum....I just don't get it. I get LOLed quite often...I just feel bad that the person clicking that button isn't articulate enough to express themselves with words. That's just sad and I feel sorry for them that they aren't able to put a sentence together.

If your in an emotional state, it takes less to get more Hurt.
    To click on lol at a serious post like that (people takeing about sickness or love one that died and the like) is just plan mean.
    I do not find it odd that people can get Hurt, i do find it odd when people don't see why it might Hurt.
    But yes it is sad that some find the need to laugh at others misfortune, that doesn't makes it right, or that we have to acept it and do nothing about it.

We just look at this differently. For one I'd never post an emotionally charged issue in a forum like this. If you are familiar with this place and know the kind of people who can lurk around here I think you just let yourself open to the situation of having one of them pounce. Another is I never let myself get upset over something someone says here. Maybe it's that I've seen a lot of the world, known serious life changing events and have a certain perspective that my age allow me to have. Some things that are said here by some of the posters just don't make my list of the top 100 things that bother me.

Not my top 100 either but I can understand, and I have seen life ..... so don't say seing life is a reason to not empatise, though it might be for you, it defently isn't for all.
    and no i don't post or advise others to post personal stuff on forums like this... or even open fb sites, keep in personal things between friends.
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I still think the solution is easy allow us to see who is LOLing again. People won't abuse as often if it is not a secret. Or remove it. If the forum doesn't allow harassment then it shouldnt provide a passive aggressive plus protected option

Too many people have reported hurt feelings over this. I know even for myself I think how petty to Lol serious comments.
  • Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    I still think the solution is easy allow us to see who is LOLing again. People won't abuse as often if it is not a secret. Or remove it. If the forum doesn't allow harassment then it shouldnt provide a passive aggressive plus protected option

Too many people have reported hurt feelings over this. I know even for myself I think how petty to Lol serious comments.

agree let us see who like and lol... that would likely help.

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    If they brought the disagree and agree buttons back it might keep the LOLs down but then you would have the people that hate it when people disagree with them or think they were being bullied because they got disagrees.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Some people will misuse what they are given. That is just the way some people are. They misused the disagrees, and now they are misusing the lols. The button serves no purpose. It gives no points towards the leaderboard (another useless thing) and the trolls know that so they use it to laugh at people. Maybe if lols gave points like the liks do things would change, but personally, I think getting rid of them altogether is the best option.
  • Options
    OuterseOuterse Posts: 289 Member
    I use my LOL's if I find something funny. If I dislike what someone has said enough I'll post about it. If not I'll just exit out of the thread and move on with my life. No use in bringing back a feature that some members used as a burn book and got other members way too upset.
  • Options
    xCeliSimsxCeliSims Posts: 2 New Member
    I could understand if someone disagrees, but misusing the LOL button is disrespectful.
    some people could misinterpret (is that right?idk.) LOL to be "lots of love" i guess.. :/
  • Options
    KarmaKarma Posts: 837 Member
    edited August 2015
    Not to derail the thread, but here's a thread where certain individuals tried to be cute about abusing the LOL button:

forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/846238/heres-why-i-think-toddlers-will-be-announced-at-gamescom/p7

It starts almost at the bottom of the thread and continues on the next page only, but y'all will get the gist of who "runs" this place - as they like to think. Of course these individuals started to LOL every comment I made as a desperate attempt to make a point. It went on for a couple of days too. Every non-funny comment I made, got LOL'd at least twice.

It was not cute.
    WsYdHZD.jpg

• Options
    If they brought the disagree and agree buttons back it might keep the LOLs down but then you would have the people that hate it when people disagree with them or think they were being bullied because they got disagrees.

I miss those 2 buttons
  • Options

I miss those 2 buttons

Me too. Even though it hasn't even been a year since the community voted 80% to 20% to keep the last two buttons we have I'm sure the requests will keep up from the people who weren't happy with the results.

• Options

I miss those 2 buttons

Me too. Even though it hasn't even been a year since the community voted 80% to 20% to keep the last two buttons we have I'm sure the requests will keep up from the people who weren't happy with the results.

I might be a strange person.. but I actually found it informing and in a way nice when people used the disagree... not that it was nice people not agreeing... but it was nice to know in a simple way... just as I knew when people agre

and I was considering using it to vote on an idea (press agree if you like it, disagree if you don't) to decide on posible games to host...
    I can see how it can be misused... but so can all things.

oh well
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,590 Member
    Lol! I think using the lol as a disagree button is just the funnies thing. Woot~ they're laughing at me, now I KNOW I'm Awesome. Not only do I earn a Lol but I know it got to them. I love that, knowing something I said pushed their button enough they had to use a Lol button. As if that hurts.

Lol Me cause I'm Awe-Soooome! :cookie:

I think having to leave your name on a like or lol is fine. Stand behind what you feel. :)
  • Options
    EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    I think we should be able to see who Likes and LOLs our post. Ya I know this has been discussed before, but come on, LOLs are supposed to be a positive here, same as Like. What's wrong with seeing who "rewards" your post with Likes and LOLs?
    And I'm positively sure the mods know how, um..., "intense" some of the users are about the button. Why do they even have to delete the button temporarily when there's a glitch out that helps us see who use the button on our posts? Isn't it, like, positive to LOL? :p #mytwocents
  • Options
    EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    And actually, the OP's post proves her (?) own point. :P
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    edited August 2015
    I've noticed Dislike buttons being removed from many forums lately... so I guess people are using comments and Lols to disagree now/troll.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    WindelyWindely Posts: 652 Member
    Was the goal of the OP to get the more LOLs he could with this thread?
    Dina Caliente. ♡ TS2. ♡ Nina Caliente.
  • Options
    bluesingingrlbluesingingrl Posts: 28 Member
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > I still think the solution is easy allow us to see who is LOLing again. People won't abuse as often if it is not a secret. Or remove it. If the forum doesn't allow harassment then it shouldnt provide a passive aggressive plus protected option
    >
    > Too many people have reported hurt feelings over this. I know even for myself I think how petty to Lol serious comments.

Absurd. People LOL ING serious comments?
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Some people will misuse what they are given. That is just the way some people are. They misused the disagrees, and now they are misusing the lols. The button serves no purpose. It gives no points towards the leaderboard (another useless thing) and the trolls know that so they use it to laugh at people. Maybe if lols gave points like the liks do things would change, but personally, I think getting rid of them altogether is the best option.

I never knew this?! I'm now of the opinion EA should just remove the number summaries from walls and activity page. Enough think it's more important then how we actually treat each other.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    So in other words there are people here that need to be catered to because they don't know how to handle an "Internet bully."
  • Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »

I never knew this?! I'm now of the opinion EA should just remove the number summaries from walls and activity page. Enough think it's more important then how we actually treat each other.
    I agree. The ranking system needs to go.
  • Options
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    So in other words there are people here that need to be catered to because they don't know how to handle an "Internet bully."
    There are children on this website. Yesterday I saw 6 people bullying a 12 year old girl on this website for the entire day. That is not right.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    There are children on this website. Yesterday I saw 6 people bullying a 12 year old girl on this website for the entire day. That is not right.
    You're right, that's not right at all. But does that mean then that the disagree and lol button be taken away from everyone on the entire forum? Would that really solve anything? It's not the buttons that are the issue.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,390 Member

This.

I even made a comment over in another thread about c.yber-bullying and suicide and got a lol on that comment. I really don't think that these 2 things are a laughing matter as it is a serious issue with younger people and it does happen a lot because people think that they can get away with it just because they hide behind their PC screen. The government is trying to put laws in place for c.yber-bullying and hopefully try to get the c.yber-bullies charged when the person that they are c.yber-bullying commits suicide.

So whoever clicked on the lol option on my comment must be a c.yber-bully themselves if they think that these 2 issues are funny and that they should be ashamed of themselves for thinking like that. I always say that what goes around, comes around.