Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

People using LOL ironically and incorretly

Comments

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    We need an unlike button

That won't make any difference!

It will just cause the same problem the disagree and LOL button did!
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    One thing I'm noticing especially on the last days is people using the LOL button when someone gives an opinion who is different than everyone else, or in the intention of being sarcastic. Worse, when someone talking about health problems. So I'm creating this thread to suggest an Disagree option or idk. Or stop using this just because someone doesnt have the same opinion about the game as you.

It's like you said above, somebody talking about health problems and somebody else presses the LOL buttons on that persons post :/

Its for reasons like this I don't care its gone!

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »

It's like you said above, somebody talking about health problems and somebody else presses the LOL buttons on that persons post :/

It seems like people were using LOL as meaning lots of love too. So it could have been used to show support as well. It is impossible to read the mind of others of why they use buttons or not.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Scobre wrote: »

It seems like people were using LOL as meaning lots of love too. So it could have been used to show support as well. It is impossible to read the mind of others of why they use buttons or not.

Its going to be somebody who is pressing it so much to another simmer! say every post they make, or if its pressed by that person in a post they don't need to disagree about, a post that's not even funny!

it would have been reported by the victim with the posts that was made whatever they contain with it ;)

• Options

LOL Means this to me,

Laughing out loud; laugh out loud (used chiefly in electronic communication to draw attention to a joke or amusing statement, or to express amusement):

• Options

Its going to be somebody who is pressing it so much to another simmer! say every post they make, or if its pressed by that person in a post they don't need to disagree about, a post that's not even funny!

Like somebody else just posted in another thread somebody was talking about there heath problems and somebody posted a LOL!

it would have been reported by the victim with the posts that was made whatever they contain with it ;)
    But how can you tell their intent with it? I mean some view LOL differently as funny. Some call it lots of love, some call it a negative button, some call it a happy button for laughing. So how can you tell how it was abused? I don't know, I'll never understand. Not every person that presses a button has ill intent. Usually I find if there is at least one disagree or lol regardless of what someone says, there is a troll around. Sometimes with how poorly the mobile version of the site is set up, it is very easy to click on the wrong button. But wow that must be some excellent mind reading tricks you have. I do know who the disagree and LOL trolls are, but it is a form of harassment saying that everyone that uses the buttons is a bully and a troll. Not everyone is. I don't like watching people stalk others giving them the "hater" "cheerleader" labels based on their posts. I saw a prime example of this with Writin_Reg recently. A lot of people were stalking her and naming and shaming her. It isn't right. Button or not, I have found even some that don't like the buttons stalk others. Not saying that you did. There is a bigger issue of this than just the buttons. Abuse will occur with or without the buttons.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

LOL Means this to me,

Laughing out loud; laugh out loud (used chiefly in electronic communication to draw attention to a joke or amusing statement, or to express amusement):

About that part I put in bold. Should the whole Internet change for the opinions of a few? The reason I say that is people need to stop and think about what they post and where. You have to ask yourself ....If I say this will it ever come back to bite me in the butt? The Internet is like life...there is the good and the bad....only with the Internet you have the cloak of anonymity so it's more likely to happen.

Sometimes people post things that really are more for a private conversation and then get surprised when they get a nasty comment. Yes it's mean and rude and I'd never do it but then others wouldn't think twice about it.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

Like somebody else just posted in another thread somebody was talking about there heath problems and somebody posted a LOL!

But how can you tell their intent with it? I mean some view LOL differently as funny. Some call it lots of love, some call it a negative button, some call it a happy button for laughing. So how can you tell how it was abused? I don't know, I'll never understand. Not every person that presses a button has ill intent. Usually I find if there is at least one disagree or lol regardless of what someone says, there is a troll around. Sometimes with how poorly the mobile version of the site is set up, it is very easy to click on the wrong button. But wow that must be some excellent mind reading tricks you have. I do know who the disagree and LOL trolls are, but it is a form of harassment saying that everyone that uses the buttons is a bully and a troll. Not everyone is. I don't like watching people stalk others giving them the "hater" "cheerleader" labels based on their posts. I saw a prime example of this with Writin_Reg recently. A lot of people were stalking her and naming and shaming her. It isn't right. Button or not, I have found even some that don't like the buttons stalk others. Not saying that you did. There is a bigger issue of this than just the buttons. Abuse will occur with or without the buttons.[/quot

I was using them above just as a example!

I agree mistakes can be made with some people in regard to LOL!

The victim will report it, what it contains and who did it! it is then in the mods hands!

How they investigate what is genuine is out of our hands!

Of course not everybody is abusing it, but this is what happens and others spoil it for the rest :/

it's just causing problems anyway having the buttons and your right we will still get problems without them!

Anybody having problems from others on the threads should keep evidence and flag the people who are really causing the problem!

If I had a problem myself I would flag it if i couldn't resolve it!

I don't like people who stalk others myself

• Options
    I was using them above just as a example!

I agree mistakes can be made with some people in regard to LOL!

The victim will report it, what it contains and who did it! it is then in the mods hands!

How they investigate what is genuine is out of our hands!

Of course not everybody is abusing it, but this is what happens and others spoil it for the rest :/

it's just causing problems anyway having the buttons and your right we will still get problems without them!

Anybody having problems from others on the threads should keep evidence and flag the people who are really causing the problem!

If I had a problem myself I would flag it if i couldn't resolve it!

I don't like people who stalk others myself
    Yeah it is horrible to see people made fun of. I had to report someone that was getting trolled on who was dealing with suicidal thoughts. It got pretty ugly on activity page. I mean I know things like that shouldn't be shared, but it does happen and I won't judge others that share it.

Yeah I do admire the work the mods do. Hard for them to figure out intent as well. Yes the trolls are active again today in activity. Wrong people are getting warnings over it too. :( Past few days since the button removal have been a mess. I do try to report it. Ugh the group labeling is driving me nuts. I'm seeing family players get attacked again. Of all the play styles, that is the one style that gets picked on the most. If only they knew I play deviant as well. >:) But yes it makes me glad the Olympus project didn't go through. If there is fighting going on with forums, it would have been so much worst with an online game. What a modding mess that would have been. Expensive too to maintain the servers and the moderation.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited October 2015
    Just wanted to post info that people are still abusing lol. Adding disagrees didn't stop this for me.

Did you really expect anything to change? At some point everyone gets LOLs on serious posts. People also get zagadoos for strange reasons. When you have a situation that isn't going to change you can either continue to be upset by it or you can realize that some poor person who doesn't have the ability to string a coherent sentence together only has the ability to click a button has done so. They just don't have the basic skills to communicate. I choose to feel bad for them.

Im not upset in the least, Im just merely pointing out that adding disagrees didn't change a thing.

If it doesn't bother you why even bring it up?

Because the disagree button was added to avoid the abuse of LOL button and I thought this information would be useful to the mods.

I think the mods have more to deal with than the fact that someone clicked a button.

The mods are here to enforce the rules and abusing the buttons is against the rules. I was specifically asked to inform both @SimStaffGabriel & @SimGuruDrake if I saw any abuse, so here I am.

Why do you take such issue with me reporting my findings to them? It has nothing to do with you.

One word: Tattle-tale.

I'm going to elaborate: A certain poster, who loved the Sims4 and was a serious defender of the game, became quite friendly with the mods. As a result, more than one person was [banned] based on their recommendation. And that person bragged about it and the influence they had over the mods. In fact, that person got so full of themselves, that they actually started threatening people that they would have them banned if they didn't stop being negative about the game. Now, this happened last year. That person has since moved on.

What you consider abuse might not have been. But now, I hope you are proud of yourself, and you feel special. Enjoy it while it lasts...and enjoy the fact that you and people like you are driving others away from these forums in droves. Last, but not least...enjoy the dead forums after everyone but the positive people leave and all you hear is crickets.
    Post edited by Jarsie9 on
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Jarsie, ignore is a wonderful thing. That way you won't become their target. Sorry you are getting stalked and harassed.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Ok I think I'm getting annoyed by the increase in stalking since the buttons removal. It is considered harassment and stalking to follow people that are not their friends and hit report. I've seen so many people get banned and warned since the button removal. Seriously @SimGuruDrake where is the protection from that? It is doing nothing but supporting their stalking habits. Ironic since they said they get stalked from buttons, yet they do the same with report. Yes I do think there is favoritism shown to only those that say they 100% love the Sims 4. Sorry Jarsie you have been getting stalked. This is what makes forums toxic and why people leave forums and the Sims altogether. But don't feed them. They'll use it against you.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Jarsie, ignore is a wonderful thing. That way you won't become their target. Sorry you are getting stalked and harassed.

I'm not being stalked and harassed. But I do expect to get a slap on the wrist for name-calling...or maybe more.

As far as I'm concerned, my typing disagree is the same as pushing the button, and it requires no explanation. In fact, I suggest everyone just type out the word disagree if they disagree with that opinion, but with no explanation. Let's see how long it takes the Sensitive Souls to run crying to the moderator because people are abusing "disagree".

ETA: I edited my one-word post. It now has an explanation.

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

I'm not being stalked and harassed. But I do expect to get a slap on the wrist for name-calling...or maybe more.

As far as I'm concerned, my typing disagree is the same as pushing the button, and it requires no explanation. In fact, I suggest everyone just type out the word disagree if they disagree with that opinion, but with no explanation. Let's see how long it takes the Sensitive Souls to run crying to the moderator because people are abusing "disagree".
    :( Yeah I plan to type it out too. That single word. It does seem like you are though. I don't like having you not feel safe on forums. It worries me.
  • Options

:( Yeah I plan to type it out too. That single word. It does seem like you are though. I don't like having you not feel safe on forums. It worries me.

I don't like it either. At least, when I got banned on the Sims 3 forums, it was because I got too passionate about something someone said, but I never felt this feeling of having to watch everything I said from now on, because someone would get upset and report me to the mods.

I seriously dislike this forum now. I bet I'm not the only one. I can barely go into the General Discussion, although I still look at Feedback. But I never go into any of the other Sims 4 topics.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options

I don't like it either. At least, when I got banned on the Sims 3 forums, it was because I got too passionate about something someone said, but I never felt this feeling of having to watch everything I said from now on, because someone would get upset and report me to the mods.

I seriously dislike this forum now. I bet I'm not the only one. I can barely go into the General Discussion, although I still look at Feedback. But I never go into any of the other Sims 4 topics.
    Yeah, let's just say you aren't alone. There are many others being stalked right now too. Makes me so glad I hit ignore though. No one should feel unsafe to post on forums. I honestly think the button removal was just a way to make it easier to stalk others with. That is the reason why the google chrome glitch was so bad.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    What, so there's a sort of forum-yib status too?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Reading this thread and why some buttons were moved because abuse was reported by the forum police, I have to say this. Maybe the gurus should stop using other players as forum police. Just a thought.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Reading this thread and why some buttons were moved because abuse was reported by the forum police, I have to say this. Maybe the gurus should stop using other players as forum police. Just a thought.
    I always suspected this, but thanks for verifying it. That is vile.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options

It breeds contempt does it not? If one player thinks a player (their peer) is watching everything they say and do and who they lol and who they don't, then this should be put to a vote by forum people Who do they want to be a moderator (fan) and who they don't. Secret forum police breeds contempt for them. As I already said in the other thread. Especially if they spill the beans. LOL
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

It breeds contempt does it not? If one player thinks a player (their peer) is watching everything they say and do and who they lol and who they don't, then this should be put to a vote by forum people Who do they want to be a moderator (fan) and who they don't. Secret forum police breeds contempt for them. As I already said in the other thread. Especially if they spill the beans. LOL

Vote? I don't think we'll see that animal around here any time soon.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

But we did vote to get back the disagree button and whether to keep the lol button. It didn't mean anything I guess.
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member

But we did vote to get back the disagree button and whether to keep the lol button. It didn't mean anything I guess.

No it didn't sad to say. And when one or two people have the ability to influence what happens on the forums that affects literally everyone then I have no hope. I think Jarsie is correct - if this keeps up this place will be as dead as the SC forum by January (if not sooner.)
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member

LOL Means this to me,

In regards to what I bolded, the fact that someone would LOL (assuming they are aware of its meaning) a post about health issues/deaths/sad topics speaks more about the person who hit LOL than the person who posted. I never once read a sad post, saw that someone laughed at it and thought "gee. That person is right. This tragedy IS hilarious."

I tend to think "what sort of person would think this is funny?"

• Options
    edited October 2015

LOL Means this to me,

In regards to what I bolded, the fact that someone would LOL (assuming they are aware of its meaning) a post about health issues/deaths/sad topics speaks more about the person who hit LOL than the person who posted. I never once read a sad post, saw that someone laughed at it and thought "gee. That person is right. This tragedy IS hilarious."

I tend to think "what sort of person would think this is funny?"

I tend to wonder why someone would tell their life story to strangers, with all respect if we are using strangers for our sounding boards I don't think this is the place to do that. They set themselves up actually and can't expect the world to love them. And why I said in this thread or the other if lol offends and or disagree then maybe anyone with that problem should really think why they are using a game forum to tell their history which might even be traumatic. Never show a weakness on the internet. Period. ETA: Our daily affirmations shouldn't be from a game forum or the internet, Twitter or FB.